The Official Web Hosting Discussion Thread - Free hosting offered

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by darth_nemisis, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    This is the official discussion thread about web hosts. Discuss certain things about the different webhosts out there. Give reviews for the ones you have used. Tell about the ones you have heard. Give advice on certain things...etc.

I figure this could be very helpful for users who want webhosts but are searching. I, for example, may be looking for a good web host very soon for a project I am working on. So, I could definitely use the advice when I am ready to choose.

For me, however, I have used only free webhosts for now because I am cheap. :p Of all the ones I have used, http://www.awardspace.com has definitely been the best. At times, it is slow, but there is no ads, and it offers decent things for being free. To sum it up:
    • 200mb Disk Space - not great, but good for a free site

• 5GB Monthly Traffic - ditto to above

• 5 subdomains

• 1 MySQL Database

• PHP, Perl/CGI-BIN
  2. Anstrona Jedi Knight

I've been using Lunarpages for about 5 years now. They're the best web host I've ever dealt with. Problems are few and far between, response times are lightning fast, downtime is minimal. Excellent web host all around. They've upgraded my account at no cost to me at least a dozen times (every time my package gets an upgrade). They upgrade these packages a couple of times a year thus far. Here's what I'm currently getting...

Basic Hosting
    1 domain name
    1.5GB storage space
    15GB bandwidth
    unlimited db/email (accounts, responders, forwarders, etc)/ftp
    php4/php5/ruby/perl/python/ssi/frontpage extensions/dreamweaver compatible
    unlimited subdomains, parked domains, add-on domains
    e-commerce features

I pre-pay for one year, and get it for $7.95/mo. So it ends up being $95.40 per year. If you prepay for 2 years it's $6.95/mo. Also, right now they're running a promotion where if you sign up now with a 2-year pre-pay plan it's only $4.95/mo.

3. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    That 4.95/mo seems like a pretty good deal...I notice it's until July 30th, I will most definitely be checking that out. Thanks for posting this. IIRC, DVeditor uses or use to use Lunarpages. I could be wrong though.
  4. kuatengineer Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, as a n00b here, I know my opinion will be different for sure. I am also on the cheap (free!) plan right now, and I use freewebs.com. It's easy to use, espcially if you are inexperienced as a web builder. My only advice if you use them is to give alot of thought to your user name, as that will (or can) be the basis for your URL. But no complaints so far. And you get some pretty decent traffic tools for free too. Not sure what kind of stuff like that you get from other sites.
  5. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, just because you are a n00b on these message boards does not mean your opinion should be different. If you're new to web hosting in general, then your opinion might differ, but that is normal. In fact, my opinion differs from many people, so don't be surprised. ;)

Freewebs.com...I've used that once upon a time. Didn't know much about web design...in fact, I knew nothing. From what I remember, and from taking a look at it a couple months back, it doesn't seem to give you a lot of options. So, what you have is very, very limited. Also, the ads are no good. I think also that, if you have freewebs.com in your domain name, it may not be taken too seriously, which is a bummer.

I have been looking into hostmonster.com. They are offering some very good services (very good!) for a cheap price. It is usually $6.95/mo for 2 years, but it is cut to $4.25/mo for 2 years. They offer unlimited storage space and GB transfer, which I have never seen before, and give a free domain name for life. 100 MySQL databases (which intrigues me because I will use plenty). That seems pretty good to me, and am most certainly considering it.
  6. SaintTames Jedi Knight

star 1
    I personally use 000webhost. 350mb of space, 100 gigs of bandwidth, 5 email addresses... I switched to that from AwardSpace 'cause AwardSpace was sorta slow, imo.

Tames Was Here
  7. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    I bought a hostmonster account a couple weeks back and am loving it. I get:

~Unlimited disk space
    ~Unlimited Bandwith
    ~5000 email accounts (kind of a lot, but oh well :p)
    ~999 subdomains & parked domain & addon domains
    ~9999 FTP accounts
    ~100 databases

It's a really good deal and I have had very little trouble. The only thing that happens is I get slow load times when they work on their server. But they do update frequently, so that is good. Besides those slow load times every once and a while (it's a long while ;)), it's fast. It's a good deal because I got it when it was $4.95/mo; now it's back up to $6.95/mo.

ANNOUNCEMENT

I would also like to announce that if anyone would like me to host them, I would be willing to do so (for free!). You will get:
    ~An email account (well, however many you'd like really)
    ~A subdomain (yourdomain.aaronnemisis.com)
    ~An FTP account
    ~A database (or two)

Just send me a PM or an IM! ;)

AIM: nemisis7654
    MSN: nemisis_7654@yahoo.com

8. -blur- Jedi Knight

At Total Choice Hosting, I've got:

80GB data transfer

2.4GB storage

For $5 a month and I'm not locked into a time thing.

Anstroma in particular, compared to what you're dealing with, maybe you should look into these guys?
  9. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    I myself got a hostmonster account a while back, with an extra domain, and I'm loving mine too. Total came out to be about $95 with the extra domain, for one year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.