main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The "OFFICIAL" welcome to the forum thread!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mace Windy, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justncredible84

Justncredible84 Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    hi everybody, i'm justin. i've been a fanboy for five years, ever since i saw the special edition i've been hooked. i've been an avid theforce.net user for a few years but i've haven't been on the boards since...before TPM. anyways, i did lose a bit of faith (like others) after TPM and i figured joining the boards would remind me what it's all about. but i still love star wars...all of it! i live in indianapolis so and i can't wait to go to the celebration in may, hope to see some of you there. may the force be with you!

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Hello, I am Dan. I've been registered to the JC for a few years, but I haven't posted in a Prequel forum since before the server move, I believe (some of the people in there scared the hell out of me, honestly). Trailer D got me pretty excited about the new movie. I'm hoping to check up on this place more often now. And of course, no spoilers. :D

3. starkillah

starkillah Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    Well...after being silent for over a year and a half, I've finally decided to compose my very first post. You people on these boards are a refreshing bunch! Glad to be here. And it is always interesting to see the exchanges between Mr. Windy and Dark Lady Mara! Bye the way...What's the deal with you two anyway?? Ex-couple??

4. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Hello all newbies!

We expected your arrival. It isn't a bad thing, but around the time trailors are released there is an influx of new members. It isn't that we don't want you here. Its just that newbies make a lot of mistakes that can annoy the old cranky members ;)

I, myself, am a long time lurker, recent poster. I've been active for about a month, and feel like I have made a nice place for myself here. So I feel like I could give ya some advice that I figured out along the way.

1. Take it slow: I know you want to get out there and post up a storm, but cool it at first. Get to know the forum you are in and the members who frequent there. Each set of boards has its own set of accepted regulations and behaviors. Save yourself some frustration and figure them out before you have 20 replies telling you that you are in the wrong place or said the wrong thing. Plus, there is a lot of shorthand around here. Take the time to figure it out yourself so you look like an old pro!

2. Read old threads!: The fastest way to annoy other members is to post a new thread about old, tired topics. Believe me, EVERYONE has already talked about JarJar and the DVDs. If you find an older thread about something you want to discuss, post there and it returns to the first page, so others can read your opinion and pick up the discussion.

3. Read the Welcome boards: You may think them boring and a waste of time, but they are there for a reason. The moderaters and administration have a lot of experience in how to keep this place under control and peaceful. They have a lot to share that could help you avoid conflicts and mistakes. Some of the threads are crossed through. This only means you can reply to them, but you CAN still read them. I highly reccommend the "Forum Etiquette" thread. You can find the boards Here. A MUST read.

4. Flattery: I'm serious. Be a nice person to talk to. If you think someone made a good point, say so. Everyone likes the guy who shares a positive opinion better than the guy who rages that someone else is stupid and wrong. Even if other readers disagree with you, it is likely they will be more impressed that you calmly seconded anothers statements and added your own thoughts rather than launched into an abusive tirade. At worst, people will disagree. At best, someone is glad you backed them up and you make a new friend.

5. Think before you post: I, too, have an itchy posting finger. But a lot of problems can be prevented if you go back and reread what you have written. Also helps to check your spelling, which when bad can make you appear very foolish. True, you can edit after the fact, but rereading is still a good idea. It is easy to get angry when someone disagrees with you. You don't want to make a personal attack in a moment of anger and end up banned. It isn't good for anyone involved. Which leads me to...

6. DON"T FLAME!: This is addressed in the Welcome boards, but it can't be stressed enough. Most of the time, no one is targetting you specifically. We are ALL passionate about Star Wars. Thats why were are here. Try to keep a level head and avoid direct insults. If you feel someone is flamming you, DO NOT FLAME BACK. Both of you will end up banned. It's not good. Usually mods will be around and deal with the situation for you, so you can go about your merry way :).

Well, I am sure there is a LOT more to learn. Every forum has it's specific rules.
    The Non-Spoiler thread has guidelines about what is considered a spoiler (that thread is also a must read if you intend to post here.) Outside the Spoilers-Allowed boards, spoilers are technically NOT acceptable. Many non-spoiled people post outside the Non-S thread and would be very upset if you ruined something for them.
    Also, in most places outside the EU forum, it is unaccepted to declare the EU fact and undeniable. Canon is a very hotly debated topic. It's a good rule to just assume that

5. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    No problem Kenobi. Good post!

Good exapmle of flattery too.... :p

:cool: Mace Windy,
    windier than the signature feature!

6. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    We're all one big feel-good happy family.

BUT I'm still pissed that I can't find the poster for sale anywhere, because I leave for school in a week and a half.

7. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    I thought you might like that. ;) 8-}

8. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    Hey, people. I'm a frequent poster in the Misc. forum and CT as well. I recognize some of you from both. This is my third post here in the AOTC(NS) forums. So, um... I guess I'm just saying Hey.

Hey. :)

9. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
  10. starkillah

Mar 11, 2002
    Hey thanks for the info Kenobi. I will look at some of the threads you mentioned. Quick newbie question: Can you preview your "smiles"? For some reason I couldn't see them when I tried to preview them. just wondering.

11. starkillah

Mar 11, 2002
    :) :) :( :( :D :D Ok nevermind..I figured it out.
    Silly me! :D :D :D :D

12. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    ;)

I'm still working on my smilie skills

13. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    And also thank me for allowing the admins to butcher my first post like that :p

Seriously, great job Sil. I'm sure that the index will be helpful to new fourm members. (If they have enough patience to read the whole thing that is :p )

14. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Yay Sil!

***applauds as requested***

15. RajKumar

RajKumar Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2002
    Hi I'm "Raj Kumar"
    Been coming to theforce.net since TPM. and figured It was the time to say hi.

16. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Hi Raj and welcome! We are rather silly. Don't be afraid though, it's all good fun.

Mace, hehehe. Thanks for letting the admins butcher your first post. I guess thats the price you pay for being a visionary... ;)

17. metalgearrx

metalgearrx Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Like Raj Kumar and several others, I've been to TheForce.net (almost daily in fact), since before The Phantom Menace. I just never registered for the boards. Well, now I'm here... and it's been fun.

18. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Hi there, metalgearrx!

Oh yeah, I have one more bit of advice for newbies!

Avoid Eu Canon debates. There are a number of threads lately that have turned to discussions of what is or isn't canon among the Expanded Universe (novels, comics, games, etc.) It's oh so very tempting to pipe up about it, but I have learned the hard way that it is best to stay out of it.

Actually, this might be a good place for any oldbies to come and post nuggets of knowledge. I know there is something like that in the welcome boards, but those are mostly just jokes. Any one else want to share?

19. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
  20. Nomarixius

Nomarixius Jedi Youngling

May 27, 1999
    I have been lurking here since before TPM, but I figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself. I don't say much, I mostly enjoy reading what you people have to say. An interesting and fun bunch, indeed.

21. Clonetrooper-X

Clonetrooper-X Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2002
    Hello I (dunno if I still am) a newbie.

22. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    Welcome to the forum Clonetrooper-X! :)

Nomarixius, what can I say...you've registered here long before most of us have :p

23. Verteces

Verteces Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    Star Wars fanboy, I am.

Star Wars fanboy, I have been since like...10 years ago.

Star Wars fanboy I will be for the rest of my life.

I've been at these forums for a long time, I just change names a lot. I mean a LOT.

But, I will label myself a newbie since no one really knows me, and I have yet to intro myself.

Anyway, I'm a 19 year old high school graduate named Brandon.

Nice to be here- finally, a SW message board that is mature- well, most of the time.

Glad to be aboard.

24. Epyon-X

Epyon-X Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Hey, I'm Epyon. I've been going to TheForce.Net for quite some time (since before '00), and registered my first username at the JC in May '01. I've posted a couple times before in this forum, but not a whole lot. The new trailers got me really psyched about AOTC, so expect to see me around a bit more. :)

25. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Hey hey! I've been hooked on TFN since a bit before TPM, but only just started posting on the forums.

My enjoyment of Ep 1 was greatly diminished by spoilers, because I knew the entire plot months beforehand. So I said "never again!" And I've tried to go spoiler-free. I haven't been entirely successful, there have been some accidents (like news sites that don't hide big MAJOR plot spoilers. Grrrrrrr), and I have given into temptation a few times, but only minor stuff. I have a very hazy idea of the plot, without any of the details, and that's the way I like it! Just enough information to get me psyched up!

So anywy, that's why I'm here at the No Spoiler board! Rock on, guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.