Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mace Windy, Mar 4, 2002.
That would be swell Queenie Amidala!
Reposting because I don't think the newest newbies are reading the whole thread.
Hello all newbies!
We expected your arrival. It isn't a bad thing, but around the time trailers are released there is an influx of new members. It isn't that we don't want you here. Its just that newbies make a lot of mistakes that can annoy the old cranky members
I, myself, am a long time lurker, recent poster. I've been active for about a month, and feel like I have made a nice place for myself here. So I feel like I could give ya some advice that I figured out along the way.
1. Take it slow: I know you want to get out there and post up a storm, but cool it at first. Get to know the forum you are in and the members who frequent there. Each set of boards has its own set of accepted regulations and behaviors. Save yourself some frustration and figure them out before you have 20 replies telling you that you are in the wrong place or said the wrong thing. Plus, there is a lot of shorthand around here. Take the time to figure it out yourself so you look like an old pro!
2. Read old threads!: The fastest way to annoy other members is to post a new thread about old, tired topics. Believe me, EVERYONE has already talked about Jar Jar and the DVDs. If you find an older thread about something you want to discuss, post there and it returns to the first page, so others can read your opinion and pick up the discussion. It is board policy that if there is a similar or duplicate thread to your new one in the first 5 pages, your new one will be closed so that the boards don't get too cluttered with repeat discussion.
3. Read the Welcome boards: You may think them boring and a waste of time, but they are there for a reason. The moderaters and administration have a lot of experience in how to keep this place under control and peaceful. They have a lot to share that could help you avoid conflicts and mistakes. Some of the threads are crossed through. This only means you can't reply to them, but you CAN still read them. I highly reccommend the "Forum Etiquette" thread. You can find the boards [link=http://boards.theforce.net/default.asp?cat=10020]here[/link]. A MUST read.
4. Flattery: I'm serious. Be a nice person to talk to. If you think someone made a good point, say so. Everyone likes the guy who shares a positive opinion better than the guy who rages that someone else is stupid and wrong. Even if other readers disagree with you, it is likely they will be more impressed that you calmly seconded anothers statements and added your own thoughts rather than launched into an abusive tirade. At worst, people will disagree. At best, someone is glad you backed them up and you make a new friend.
5. Think before you post: I, too, have an itchy posting finger. But a lot of problems can be prevented if you go back and reread what you have written. Also helps to check your spelling, which when bad can make you appear very foolish. True, you can edit after the fact, but rereading is still a good idea. It is easy to get angry when someone disagrees with you. You don't want to make a personal attack in a moment of anger and end up banned. It isn't good for anyone involved. Which leads me to...
6. DON'T FLAME!: This is addressed in the Welcome boards, but it can't be stressed enough. Most of the time, no one is targetting you specifically. We are ALL passionate about Star Wars. Thats why were are here. Try to keep a level head and avoid direct insults. If you feel someone is flamming you, DO NOT FLAME BACK. Both of you will end up banned. It's not good. Usually mods will be around and deal with the situation for you, so you can go about your merry way
Well, I am sure there is a LOT more to learn. Every forum has it's specific rules.
The Non-Spoiler thread has guidelines about what is considered a spoiler (the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2741934&replies=72]Non-Spoiler Forum Rules thread[/link] is also a must
Awesome, Gay-Len, I think we needed that down here again.
Um, hi. I'm new around here. *looks around slowly* So, how about that George Lucas?
Welcome Queenie Amidala. That George Lucas is something isn't he? I mean he gave us Star Wars. Good to see some more new faces on the boards.
Oh! Yes he is! I really like his Star Wars movies. This looks like it will be a really neat place to talk about Star Wars.
Hehe, you guys crack me up.
George Lucas (or GL as we friends call him) sure is a great story teller. I wonder what he'll think of next. Hmmm.....
Posted this in the SPOILER ALERT thread before I saw this one. Probably more appropriate here. Oops
Hey all. I'm fairly new(been lurking for quite a while), and I needed some place to lament, so I thought this might be the best place. I unwittingly went into the commercials thread in the SA forum and saw something I REALLY wish I hadn't. But, it was my own stupidity, since, duh, SPOILERS forum Anyway, that's my rant. I'm pretty spoiled, but I'm hoping to find refuge here till the 16th.
Welcome to the NSA forum! I think we all have had our brushes with spoilers. It's a very unpleasant thing. Hopefully all of us can make it to May 16th without any further spoilage.
That we have. Some more than others, unfortunately. But, if you just can't stay away from SW online until May 16, this is the best place to be. We have some incidents now and then, but for the most part, you're as safe as you can get from spoilers here.
Welcome Derrinson! Sorry that you had to be spoiled by your own stupidity because I've done it a few times myself. I wanted to know what one of the ships was in the trailer so like an idiot I went to the vehicles page on this site and spoiled myself with what it was. I'm not sure why I did since I knew I would get spoiled.
Anyway I hope you have a good time here and can avoid be spoiled again.
For the sake of keeping this thread up...
Hi there! I'm a newbie. I heard there is another starwars movie opening soon. Thought I'd stop by and see what it's all about.
For the sake of keeping this thread up Welcome Gay-LenKenobi! Yes Attack of the Clones does look like a damn good movie. There are a lot of interesting threads in this forum about the movie that you should check out. Most of us are in the dark as to what it is about. Were all speculating right now and feel free to join us. I hope you have a great time on these boards and stay a long time.
Hi, glad to see I'm not the only one around here. Um, I was wondering...does anyone know when the new movie is going to be released?
That's a good question, Queenie. I was wondering the same thing. My friend told me that it comes out sometime in November, but I'm not sure.
Oh really? Is it that soon?! Sweet!
New members who have just entered this thread are going to be scared of us....
windier than the signature feature!
November! I heard Christmas! WHoo!
I'm already scared, Mace.
I'm not scared at all. Y'all all have been really nice in welcoming us newcomers.
You obviously have not yet met Dark Lady Mara....
windier than the signature feature!
Oh really? Is he/she mean?
I am not afraid.
You will be. You will be....
windier than the signature feature!
I recommend that you stay away from Dark Lady Mara Queenie Amidala. It would be the best thing for you. I'm just trying to help you since you are a newbie you need some guidance. Listen to me and Mace Windy on this one.
Really? Is she that bad? I mean, being new and all, I don't want to get myself into too much trouble.
Yes she is that bad.
Anymore newbies to welcome?