The Official Wheel of Time thread!!!

Discussion in 'Phoenix, AZ' started by sideshow212, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sideshow212 Former RSA

star 4
    there seems to be alot of Star Wars fans who also enjoy the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, so i figured we should talk about it! if you haven't read these amazing books, you can get some basic info here!

i guess i should get the ball rolling...

who is your favorite character, or the one you most relate to?

mine is (of course) mat cauthon...the guy is awesome! ;)
  2. StarBlazer Jedi Master

star 4
    My favorite? Mmmm, that's a toughie. I would say Egwene, Min, and Faile. I've liked Egwene since book 1. Min's kinda got that independent woman/I don't care what you think of me thing. (Until recently, that is. [face_mischief] )

But I think I'm the most like Faile. Just her name sounds cool! Perrin is just so cute! She's a strong woman type too, kinda like Padme...

I've finished the 7th book so far. How far along is everyone else?

*SB* (In Denver)
  3. sideshow212 Former RSA

star 4
    i like min, but faile!?! uhg, prolly my *least* favorite..the way she treated perrin early on, like in the ways...grrrr. oh well.

i have read the whole series (up to winters heart) multiple times...

i have got to be the biggest fan of WoT too... i even got a tattoo of the royal lion of andor on my shoulder...

looks like this without the black box, just the lion...
    [image=http://www.azlineup.com/sideshow/alion.gif]
  4. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Favorite characters... lessee...

Women: Nynaeve, Egwene, Elayne, Aviendha (hmmmm... guess those are all a bit obvious. Oh well.)

Men: Perrin (!), Lan (there is NEVER enough info about this gorgeous guy! [face_love] ), Rand (mmmmm.... conflict) and Gawyn (mmmmm... Gawyn... ;) )

And, yes, I'm going to do a WoT costume at some point. Most likely Moiraine. :D

^.^
  5. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    BAH!! The only girl character that isn't a complete turd is Min...coincidence? haha! (qui-gone-drinkin' should read this post, lol).

But seriously, my favorite characters are Mat and Min probably. Mat's just the coolest.

Edit: Oh, and of course Lan!! Before I got back into SW, every nick I used was Lan :).
  6. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Next question: Have you finished the series-to-date? If not, what book are you on?

I'm on Winter's Heart (9)...almost there!!!
  7. sideshow212 Former RSA

star 4
    yes! JediDragon nailed it right on the head! [face_laugh]

ooh. just wait until the end of winters heart...its better than the end of lord of chaos!
  8. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    dang, you got a WoT tattoo? That's pretty hardcore man...
  9. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've read the entire series through once (including Winter's Heart). I'm currently working on the second round, and am on book 7 (A Crown of Swords) - haven't gotten too far into it yet, since I keep falling asleep while reading. **laugh** Hey, I've been tired lately! [face_laugh]

^.^
  10. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yeah, I shoulda been done w/ 9 over a week ago, but I keep going back and forth with the SW books and WoT and can't finish either in a timely fashion :)
  11. Mobius FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    Yeah! WoT thread!.

I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through Lord of Chaos.

Fave character? That's tough. I would say Rand, but he's got too damn many women running around inside his head, not to mention Lews Therrin hiding in there, too. So I guess I'd have to say Lan. He's friggen cool.

If I ever did a WoT costume, I'd do a Warder setup. The only issue is how to do the cloak?

And sideshow's tattoo? Don't forget that he's a Leo, astrologically speaking. So, while it's a cool tattoo, it's not ENTIRELY WoT oriented...
  12. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hmmmm... warder cloak. Well, I'm tempted to say something kinda sheer and shimmery, but you don't want to see *through* it, so the sheer option is out.

Maybe something more liquid silver-looking?
  13. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    perhaps, but he got it straight from the pages of WoT...in my world, that makes it a WoT tattoo :)

If I was gonna make a warder cloak, I'd probably just go generic and make it out of woodland camo or something of the like...maybe put something shimmery over that so it kinda "shifts" or something? I dunno.
  14. StarBlazer Jedi Master

star 4
    I've finished book 7, and I've got Path of Daggers near by bed, but books like these require time, so I'll probably start that one once school gets out.

If you guys ever figure out how to make a warder's cloak, you'll have to show me pics, that would be awesome!

*SB*
  15. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    isn't it past your bedtime? How can you get up at 6am if you're always up till 11:00?
  16. MexChewie Jedi Master

star 4
    I looked at the wot website but could not understand what I was looking at. Can someone be so kind as to explain what wot is? Is it similar to D&D? Where would one start? I am trying to limit my sci-fi so I can save money which is why I have been avoiding CCG. Trouble is with everyone having fun on RPG, I seem to miss out. Oh well.
    BTW, are RPG the subject of the thread "somebody has to say this?" If so which one is it.
  17. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    WoT = Wheel of Time - fantasy series by Robert Jordan

Book 1: The Eye of the World

Now get moving!! ;)

mmmmm.... Lan.... **drools**
  18. QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have tried to read Eye of the world twice (first hundred pages or so). I just couldn't get into it. I'm into insant gratification I guess. The cool thing is that one of the characters has the same last name as I do.
  19. StarBlazer Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I remembered being bored out of my mind when I started to read the first one. I guess I just got passed the beginning, and was hooked from then on!

*SB*
  20. harpm1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm with MexChewie, I didn't get it. Thanks kreleia for the explanation. So how long have these books been out? I've never heard of them but they seem very intriguing. I guess I'll have to check it out. I just wonder if its like that Outlander series my wife reads.
  21. VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Admittedly I'm a not WoT reader, so I'll share my point of view from being a non fan. First becareful of comparisons to D&D. There is a D&D style role playing book out for the setting...it's just for the game and isn't really the stories themselves. So if you look on the web, make sure it doesn't say anything about d20 rules.

I've never had much interest in reading the books despite the reactions of those who have. I ALWAYS hear though that the beginning of "Eye of the World" drags on, is boring, makes a satisfying thud when dropped on the ground, blah blah blah. They almost all say that once they survived that section they were hooked by the stories and count them among their favorite medieval fantasy settings. So if you do take the plunge and try and read these books, keep at it until you finish the first one at least.
  22. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I liked Eye of the World - of course, I'm a sucker for back-story too, so all of that detail just fuels my fire. :D But yes, definitely stick to it through the first book. It's definitely worth it.

^.^
  23. sideshow212 Former RSA

star 4
    ok, i know it starts out dry..you need only to get to the chapter winternight then the action starts and doesn't quit!

oh, and for all of you WoT fans...the next book, crossroads of twilight is slated to come out in november 2002! woohoo!
  24. JediDragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't think it's boring at all. There might not be a lot of action starting out, but the writing is excellent, and the characters are charming from the start. The action was just gravy on the taters IMO...but lots of gravy once you get to it.
  25. sideshow212 Former RSA

star 4
    yup. i have absolutely no idea how he keeps everything strait! the plot is so convoluted by the 9th book!
    thats ok though, 'cause i love it!

gotta say that my favorite parts are...

*when rand goes into the waste and finds out about his ancestors all the way back to the Age of Ledgends.

*rand coming out of the box in LoC...("kneel. or you will be knealt." oh yeah!)

*(of course ;))ANYTHING about mat after tGH. (its not his fault he's an ass before tDR, it's the dagger!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.