main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The OFFICIAL World Cup Thread.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ooh_Aah_Cantona, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    I'm sorry yous went out to a bunch of play acting *****.

2. MasterChapRimera

MasterChapRimera Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    :_|

Nothing much to say now

3. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    Sorry guys. I know how much it meant to you. Apart from that I aint saying anything more on the subject here

4. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    The service was poor, but we did look strong in the first half. We held possesion and gave them a very good game, much better then thier reserve team could give them I'm sure.

Seaman was unlucky, his injury I feel affected him, he didn't look as nimble afterwards. And a freak freekick from a player that looks freaky was just annoying. But in a game that was this even it was going to be a moment of brilliance or freakyness to win it. I do think we was evenly matched with Brazil which is a positive thing.

When Sven came we was looking to build for Euro 2004 and the World Cup in 2006, it was looking hard to qualify for 2002. We have shown we have a great team which are young. We went though the group of death taking the scalp of Argentina, which is no easy task. We convincly beat the Danes and held up against Brazil. Heres to good things to come

5. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah, I'll drink to that Rambly.

But then...in Euro '04 you'll have Scotchlund to contend with ;)

LOL

6. PadawanSDM

PadawanSDM Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2000
    Well it was always going to be tough but you can't afford to give away soft goals at this level.

But you got to hand it to Brazil, even with 10 men, they played keepball brilliantly.

I thought the sending off was harsh, a booking definitely but he did get some of the ball. Strangely, I think England would have done better against 11 men, it's often more difficult to win against 10.

7. MasterChapRimera

MasterChapRimera Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    At least we have our mighty victory over the Maritimers last night.

8. Az-Azzameen

Az-Azzameen Jedi Knight star 5

May 24, 2002
    Red card seemed a bit harsh, but us referees are told that challenge with the studs up, raked across the front of the leg and shin is an instant sending off. It is classed as a dangerous and reckless tackle with no concern made for the other player. Those sort of tackles break legs and ankles. :(

Come one Senegal and Turkey! Beat Brazil!!! :p

Oh. And Go USA!! ;)

9. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Stamping is a sending off offense, so it was red IMO.

10. PadawanSDM

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't think he stamped if you look at it again but it was a rash challenge.

Still it's history now.

11. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    I think we would of done better against 11, they kept hold of the ball well and thats what undid us.

Yeah Cass, I look forward to getting the rivaly with Scotland back, Lets all be proud of Svens boys in 2002 though

12. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Hard luck England! But the future looks bright for England. A good squad that will get better.

13. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    :_|

As for the sending off - justified. The guy led with his studs, took Mills' ankle and followed through with his forearm into Mills' face. Send the munkee off.

14. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    Brazil didn't beat us... they got some luck, the ref (apart from the red card) and yet ANOTHER freak goal (Maradona 86, Germany 90 etc). Brazil created one proper chance all game and they scored from it. Then again so did we. Gods not on our side today...

15. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    God might yet be on our side Mayhem!

USA might beat Germany 4-0! ;)

Then again... imagine the Americans' reactions to that (i.e. we're a better side than you, na-na-na-na-nah!) :eek:

16. The_Maker

The_Maker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
  17. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    I'm in a catch 22. I want the Germans out but, I work with an American who will be a nightmare for the next 4 years if America go further that England.

18. nemco1

nemco1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2001
    yepo what mayhem said!!!

19. The_Maker

The_Maker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    oh the americans must be stopped - even if it is by the hun - if the americans go any further or (horror of horrors) somehow end up in the final , i'm never going to watch football again.

i hope the following will give you an idea why - this is an extract from the chicago Fire webstite (chicago fire is some sort of "Soccer" team)

"Currently the Eastern Conference leader with a 5-4-2 record and 17 points, the Fire has a three-point advantage in the standings over the Columbus Crew. The Fire is 8-6-1 all-time against the ?Red and Black? squad from Dallas (6-1-1 at home and 2-5-1 at Dallas), which is riding a four-game unbeaten streak. Fire forward Ante Razov currently sits in second among the MLS scoring leaders with eight goals and three assists for 19 points. The Fire?s all-time leading scorer also leads Chicago with six goals and one assist for 13 points against the Burn in 11 series games, but will be missing the game due to a one-game suspension mandated by the MLS Disciplinary Committee. Burn midfielder Jason Kreis leads the Dallas outfit with four goals and seven assists for 15 points against the Fire and is the only player on either side to compete in all 15 games in the all-time series. Kreis also leads the team with eight goals and one assist for 17 points in 2002."

See? - the tossers

20. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    Why is it Americans find the need to complicate what is a very simple and easy system to understand to the point where no-one a) knows or b) cares what the hell they're on about?!

21. Boromir19

Boromir19 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 12, 2001
    A thoroughly disappointing match. England could have played so much better....I mean, FOUR Shots on target? That's pathetic.

The Mexican diego ref was awful. The red card was justified though...serves that ugly bastard coffee bean right for going in with studs pointed! And then he wouldn't get off the field! England should have taken advantage of 11 on 10 but it just wasn't to be. Brazil's second goal was completely fluke. England always seems to get the worst of it when it comes to luck.

Oh Rivaldo...I wish after the game Heskey or Sheringham (he'll never play for England again) would have taken him out. If that game was my last cap for England as a player (like Sheringham or Seaman) I would have crippled that bastard. Every time the balls comes near him, he's diving. He's the worst for it in the game right now, even worse than the Italians and that's saying a lot.

Ah well....2 more years until Euro 2004. I think England will be much better for that and Germany 2006. We've still got a good team and they're improving. It's time for Seaman to call it quits...get David James in there.

I HATE BRAZIL! I never thought I'd say this, but if Spain chokes like they always do, LONG LIVE DEUTCHSLAND! I hope they thrash the Yanks badly today. I'd rather see the Nazis win the Cup again than Brazil, the ugly darkies from coffee bean infested South America. I should have been an Imperialist :)

22. PadawanSDM

Sep 27, 2000
    I appreciate the disappointment at England losing but is there any need for racist comments and swearing?

23. Az-Azzameen

May 24, 2002
    'Get David James in there'....

:eek:

I can't cheer on the German football team. I...just...can't...

And if the Americans make any sarky comments, we can speculate on what we might of achieved if we'd have had the draw they did.... :(

24. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    lol @ Chet's rant!

Rivaldo is a nightmare. He's such a talented player, why does he feel the need to cheat as well?! His goal was fantastic... did he need to cheat to score it? No... so why cheat? Pisses me right off.... Korea vs Senegal in the final!!

25. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    LOL @ Chet

Its time now we support one of the underdogs, Senegal or Korea, we have to get behind them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.