main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The *OFFICIAL* YJK series Fan Club V1.0: Well what are we waiting for?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by _3MD_PsychoSniper, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Welcom YJK fans to the YJK fanclub. I've looked through the WUC for anoter topic for this, and if there is it must have died long ago, so I'm restarting it.(If im wrong, fell free to lock mods)

To join you must be a fan of the YJK series.

thats it

no posting a quote or hating the NJO (like me) required.

We will use this to discuss the YJK series and what we liked about it, as well as disliked, and were it should have gone other than NJO, and for the NJO fans here, to discuss what could have happend in between the two timeframes.
    To join, post that you want to join, along with your favorite moment in the books. Keep posting, and eventualy one of the Knights or the Master will grant you member status.

Rules.
    No flaming, except of NJO and OPPM.
    No being rude to someone just because theyre a noob.
    No flaming YJK, or saying NJO is better.

There are three ranks.

[b][u]Active Members[/u][/b]
    [b]Jedi Masters (Senator- Current or Previous)[/b]
    Wes_Janson
    Jaina313

[b]Jedi Knights (Fellow club leaders)[/b]
    Enelya_Sol
    -Tenel-Ka-
    RK_Striker_JK_5
    Trickster_Jaina_Fel

[b]Young Jedi Knights (Regular members)[/b]
    Lyrienne
    Metroid_Warrior
    SilSolo
    NaboosPrincess
    TIEPilot051999
    DropkickJake
    Kahara

[b][u]Inactive Members[/b][/u]
    [b]Young Jedi Knights[/b]
    Rose_Skywalker
    GeithJiseo
    Saturniia
    Jedi_Vaencawen
    yodagirl02
    Boba_Fett_123
    bladex2
    Kettch_the_Jedi
    yoda-is-my-homeboy
    Zuckuss1138

and without further ado, "[i]what are we waiting for[/i]" lets get going.

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    This looks great. I dare say I'll join!

3. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    i guess i get first post!! sign me up..i'm here!!

and i liked NJO!!

4. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    well, thats two people.

and I know heather will join when she gets on....... :p

5. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003
    Can I join? The YJK books are my favorite EU stories, especially the Shadow Academy series. :)

6. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    welcome in.

ok, first topic.

HOW DID YOU DISCOVER THE YJK ?

7. Jaina313

Jaina313 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    Eeeeeek! YJK fanclub! I love it! I was obsessed.

I first found it in the Star Wars book section at Hastings, that's all. I was currently eating up all of the Star Wars EU books when YJK came out, and I was so excited!

I remember when it began taking forever for books to come out, and there was this (what seemed to be) huge gap between books 6 and 7. I found a list of email addresses of famous scifi writers somewhere online (this was back in the day when few people used the internet and weird stuff like this could be found), and I wrote an email to Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta. I got a reply from them, and the told me when it would be coming (they were actually wrong, it didn't get published for a few months after they predicted).

Anyway, I remember riding around on my bike and playing like I was Jaina and my friends were Jacen and T.K. and Lowie. It was awesome.

8. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    I froget exactly, but I was going to the bookstore regulary every week or so getting 1-3 new books at a time.

My first one was actualy Shadow Academy, then I got the others.

My only complaint is they wrote the stories like for kids, even though I was a kid at the time, I can read better than many of my teachers and found it insulting.
    they dont take into consideration that the teen fans that those books were intended for had read the other EU books and could read at an adult level. (I got the Thrawn trilogy in 5th grade)

9. Jaina313

Feb 18, 2004
    Exactly. That's when I read the majority of the EU books too. I wasn't offended by the writing though. I thought it was really cool of them to try and target kids without sending them to comic books or video games. As a younger fan, I felt like the original series was meant for the generation before mine, and that for once they were targeting my generation. I loved it!

10. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    Yeah, thats part of what I loved about it.

It was officaly targeted for teens, but was at a 7-10 yearold level (at least would have been when I was at those ages)

the JJK series with Anikan and Tahari (I only have the first book) seemed to be for a 4-6 age group.

11. Jaina313

Feb 18, 2004
    I read all the JJKs until they died off. It was all extremely easy reading. But the stories were great!

Some of it was very dark, and much before its time, especially with having a kid like Zekk turning to the dark side, something a person wouldn't typically write for "kids".

Goodnight! bebacktomorrow

12. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    Nite, I'll be on a little longer.

13. GeithJiseo

Dec 13, 2003
    I discovered the YJK series through a science fiction book club I was a member of. I ordered the Shadow Academy series on hardback, thinking that it looked pretty cool. And I read all five books in one day. I loved the characters, the villains, the plot, the quotable dialogue ("Blaster bolts!" "Well, what are we waiting for?" "This is a fact" "Surrender is betrayal."). And I liked the cameos from the Big Three, and that Mara Jade was nowhere to be found. ;)

My only complaint about the YJK books is that they got progressively worse with each subsequent series. The Diversity Alliance books were good, but a step below the Shadow Academy, and the Black Sun books were pretty mediocre, mostly because of the loathsome character Anja Gallandro. Ick!

14. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    Yeah. I didnt mind Anja, but it seemed like a 'dont do drugs kids' campaign. And while the YJK's (Jacen, Tenel Ka, Jaina, Zekk, Lowie) got better as the books progressed, the general plot and the enemies god dumber and dumber.

ok, the first cycle, shadow academy-Renegade imps

second cycle, a racist milita attempting to find a biological weapon

third cycle, a massive danger to the galaxy's businesses. Intergalactic mobsters.

otherwise I enjoyed it immensly.

as for weres Mara, the YJK series was written before the Hand of Thrawn series was released, and they didnt mention her being a Jedi and Lukes wife to avoid spoiling the upcoming books. Bad decision in my view, if they had foireshadowd it, then everyone would have ran to the bookstore to see what happend. Same with no mention of NJO in YJK, they should atleast have had mention of Kyp going rouge or something, and maybe had a book or so inbetween explaining things, like why Jaina and Zekk broke up and why Jacen and Tenel Ka never had their relationship get more serious, since by trouble on cloud city they had obviously figured out that they had feelings.

15. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I discovered YJK in 1995, right when they were first published. It was the first EU I ever bought. I fell in love with tenel Ka when I first read about her climbing down from the rooftop.

16. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    hey, im in. i love those books, they were some of the first star wars books i read. i think the first i saw was shadow acadamy, but i could be wrong, its been a while now. anyway, i read them over and over again when i was younger.

17. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    Ok. who can catch the first refrance to Ta'a Chume being a possible threat to Tenel Ka ?

I''m going to but the answer below, but hide it, but dont hilite the text to see it unless you are truly stuck

answer

Shadow academy. p43 middle of page.....
    ----So far, Tenel Ka had managed to tread a fine
    line between pleasing and annoying her grand-
    mother. She knew that if she stepped over that
    line, assasssins might somedaypay her
    a visit....------------------------------

end of answer

18. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    _3MD_PsychoSniper_: It's been a while since I've read the YJK books and I didn't remember that. Interesting...

To answer the earlier question of how did people discovered the YJK, I found Shadow Academy at a grocery store, read the first few pages, thought it seemed really familiar, and got very interested. That basically set off my "rediscovering" Star Wars (I'd watch the movies when I was a little kid, but I'd kind of forgotten about them when I was in my teens. It only took a few minutes of re-watching the first one for me to remember "Oh, yeah, I like these movies!").

Is it just me, or have most of the people here who like the YJK started with Shadow Academy and not the first book, Heirs to the Force (one of my friends in high school mentioned he saw the first book and wasn't interested at all in the series)? :confused: :)

19. GeithJiseo

Dec 13, 2003
    I actually read the entire YJK series in chronological order (from Heirs to the Force to Crisis at Crystal Reef). The only time I ever read the EU in chronological order. :)

I have a question for you guys: out of all the YJK books, which one is your favorite?

I'd have to go with Lightsabers, as it focused on Tenel Ka and Jacen, we actually get to see each of the YJK construct their own lightsabers, and the fight with the Bartokk assassins at the end was great.

20. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    GeithJiseo: I also have to say Lightsabers is my favorite. :D I'm a big Jacen/Tenel Ka fan, and the book makes a good point that lightsabers are weapons not to be taken lightly. The fact that Tenel Ka chooses not to have an artificial arm when she obviously has the money to afford the best shows her strength/stubborness as a character. :)

21. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    Yup, lightsabers here as well.

The reason I read Shadow Academy first was at the mall bookstore I bought them at, they never got Heirs of the Force until after the other books came out.

22. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    My favorite is Jedi Under Siege. That is still one of the best Star Wars stories to date, IMO.

I found out about the YJK books when I got Heirs to the Force for Christmas. I was probably in third or fourth grade, right at the targeted reading level, so I found them enjoyable. I continued to buy them as they came out, and own them all. The Diversity Alliance series was cool, but the villains were kinda out there. Boba Fett, however, rocks the house.

And obviously, I'm a fan of the series, seeing as how I tried to make an animated fan film spinoff thingy. That fell through, unfortunately.

23. GeithJiseo

Dec 13, 2003
    The fact that Tenel Ka chooses not to have an artificial arm when she obviously has the money to afford the best shows her strength/stubborness as a character.

I love that scene, especially when she takes the articifial arm and smashes it, and tells the doctors, "I said no...and I mean no." Awesome scene! :D

Another good scene when Jacen is reunited with Tenel Ka after the lightsaber accident, and they both apologized for what happened. I think that's the first scene where we actually get to see Tenel Ke laugh and cry for the first time in the series.

24. Jaina313

Feb 18, 2004
    I too loved Lightsabers. I'm more of a Jaina/Zekk fan, but the romance between Tenel Ka and Jacen was just wonderful.

I especially like it when they begin to individualize characters, i.e. giving them different colored lightsabers, giving some of them ships (and some of them not), and most of them coming from very different backgrounds.

Talk about a diversity alliance. ;)

25. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I am a fan of the Young Jedi Knights series and would be most honored to join this group. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.