main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The *OFFICIAL* YJK series Fan Club V1.0: Well what are we waiting for?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by _3MD_PsychoSniper, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Pokes head in

So, did everyone like this?

2. Jaina313

Jaina313 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    Heh, suuuuurrrre did. Ya whipped is into a frenzy of NJO hatred! ;)

You wrote it well and the sarcasm was appreciated. ;)

3. Enelya_Sol

Enelya_Sol Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2004
    I liked it Striker. :) Just didn't appreciate NJO...heh, which I guess was the point.

4. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    RK_Striker_JK_5: Very nice list. :) Though to play the devil's advocate: sometimes people in real-life will go through some pretty different personality changes, and things you may have liked when you were 15 aren't the same things you like when you're 20. Honestly, I'm thinking there's a story between the end of the YJK and the begining of Vector Prime where something happened to Jacen that made him less "goofy" and more introspective (though I agree that most of the NJO authors took that introspectiveness to the extreme).

Another thing to keep in mind about the difference in characterization between the YJK and the NJO is that the YJK were written by the same authors who were creating these characters and knew exactly how they thought, what they would say, etc; the NJO authors (of which there are more than a dozen) got handed a mess of characters, a plot, and were told to go write. I hope that Denning's post NJO books will help to smooth over some of the characterization issues. :)

5. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003
    I hope the YJK are given more to do in the post-NJO books. Were Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka, Lowie, and Zekk all elevated to the rank of Jedi Master at the end of TUF, or are they still just Knights?

6. Jaina313

Feb 18, 2004
    I wouldn't know, personally.

Question- how many years is NJO supposed to last? How old are the YJK at the end of it?

7. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    the njo lasted about 4 years from start to finish. if im not mistaken the twins are 19 when it ended

8. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    RK_Striker_JK_5: Very nice list. Though to play the devil's advocate: sometimes people in real-life will go through some pretty different personality changes, and things you may have liked when you were 15 aren't the same things you like when you're 20. Honestly, I'm thinking there's a story between the end of the YJK and the begining of Vector Prime where something happened to Jacen that made him less "goofy" and more introspective (though I agree that most of the NJO authors took that introspectiveness to the extreme).

Another thing to keep in mind about the difference in characterization between the YJK and the NJO is that the YJK were written by the same authors who were creating these characters and knew exactly how they thought, what they would say, etc; the NJO authors (of which there are more than a dozen) got handed a mess of characters, a plot, and were told to go write. I hope that Denning's post NJO books will help to smooth over some of the characterization issues.

Lady_Jedi_Carenix, you missed a big point.

its approximatly one year in between the end of YJK and the begining of NJO. Yes, people change (sometimes), but that much, and in that little of time ?

No, the NJO authors and hte people who devolped the plot simply dropped the ball.

personaly, I dont blame the authors much, since theyre told what to write.

What I want to know, is who determines the plots's and what they told the aithors to write for NJO. If the authors were told to write the YJK kids like they did, then I wont blame them, but someone screwed up, becasue they are VERY out of characther even in the begining of the series (which is all I have)

9. Enelya_Sol

Feb 2, 2004
    _3MD_PsychoSniper: What I want to know, is who determines the plots's and what they told the aithors to write for NJO. If the authors were told to write the YJK kids like they did, then I wont blame them, but someone screwed up, becasue they are VERY out of characther even in the begining of the series (which is all I have)

That's a really good point, 3MD. I didn't really think of that. Is it people at Del Rey, the publishers, who developed this plot, or someone else entirely?

And on another note, I thought it was less than a year difference. How old were Jaina and Jacen and the gang in Crisis in Crystal Reef, and then in Vector Prime. I was under the impression it was 16 for both, but I could be wrong.

10. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    They were almost 16 or at 16 at the end of YJK

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Lady_Jedi_Carenix-I would love to read that story, seriously. Whatever warped Jacen from goofy yet earnest to...whatever he was in NJO must've been one hell of a ride.

And Denning better be ready to work a miracle if he's gonna try to smooth out the NJO characterizations in his trilogy. Seriously, I hope he can. I highly doubt it, though.

GeithJiseo-No. They're all still Jedi Knights.

And I'm almost postive it was a year or less between CATR and VP. Did they all take massive amounts of andris spice inbetween?

And on a slightly more YJK note. My favorite book series after that was the Thrawn Trilogy. Thrawn was Spike Spiegel-cool.

12. JacenWindu

JacenWindu Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2004
    The war lasted five years according to the hardcover edition of The Unifying Force. By this time the twins were in their early 20s.

13. Tenel_Ka_Index

Tenel_Ka_Index Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2003
    Does anyone know who decided the NJO plot ?

14. Enelya_Sol

Feb 2, 2004
    RK_Striker_JK_5" And I'm almost postive it was a year or less between CATR and VP. Did they all take massive amounts of andris spice inbetween?

Wouldn't be surprised here.

15. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    oops, the index is me, frogot to logout.

While I think it would be good if they DID do a book tieing YJK to NJO, I also think it would be cheap.

It'd be like they realized, 'oh,we TOTALY screwed up. lets make up a story making us right'

While we have to suspend disbelief for all SciFi (and can do so thru the YJK series) if they were to do that it would push it to far

16. Jaina313

Feb 18, 2004
    I really enjoyed that Jaina was good with technology and Jacen was good with nature- pretty opposite. Together, they'd be like an ideal Jedi. They are twins, after all. Er, fraternal... so nevermind. ;)

Eeek! We fell off the front page.

17. Enelya_Sol

Feb 2, 2004
    I liked that too. You know, I think I prefered characters overall in YJK. And it was always funny when each would play towards their strengths, and puzzle as to why the other couldn't understand.

18. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    Yeah, they lost that touch in NJO.

The people who did NJO just read the clift notes for YJK, then decided they didnt like it and would do something else.

19. GeithJiseo

Dec 13, 2003
    Who was your favorite character in the YJK series?

20. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    Tenel Ka.

Shes cool. She has so much potentel as far as the conflict in her family, her having to divergent paths to choose.

21. Enelya_Sol

Feb 2, 2004
    I was a big fan of all of them, but I'll say the Jaina. Though Zekk is a very, very, very, very close second.

22. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    Zekk's cool. Some author needs to do a fic on how they all met.

23. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    A tie between Jacen and Tenel Ka. I love them both equally. <3

I liked Jacen for his corny jokes, his adorable mannerisms and his all around enjoyable attitude. And Tenel Ka balanced it out with her stolid attitude and her putting Jacen in his place.

They're so cute. [face_love]

24. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    You like corney jokes ?

Why couldnt you have went to my HS? :p

25. GeithJiseo

Dec 13, 2003
    I like Jacen for his humor and good heart.

I like Tenel Ka for her spirit and strength.

I like Jaina for her ability to fix anything (just like her grandfather) and that she was still able to feel the good in Zekk when he was a Dark Jedi.

I like Zekk because he was strong enough to reject the dark side at the end.

I like Lowie for his loyalty to his friends (especially when he rejected the Diversity Alliance and saved his friends from the Ryloth mines).

I like Lusa because centaurs are cool. ;)

I like Raynar because he started out as a spoiled rich kid, and after his humiliating defeat during the Shadow Academy battle, he realized that he really wasn't all that great, and worked to better himself after that.

To be honest, the only character I loathed in the YJK books was Anja Gallandro. Little druggie witch! :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.