main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The *OFFICIAL* YJK series Fan Club V1.0: Well what are we waiting for?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by _3MD_PsychoSniper, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    I'd say Jacen's slow and inexorable crawl from funny guy to dumbasss emo goth boy. I enjoyed him in YJK, but he got to be an irritant by the end of the NJO. And frankly, if "Sacrifice" spoilers are to be believed, then he really, really, really needs to die. (Time prevents me from going into any real explicit detail about why I feel that way; sufficie it to say that he's a tick that needs to get squashed in the most permanent of ways.)

2. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    yeah Darth Emo needs to die

3. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    yeah Darth Emo needs to die
    Tsk tsk tsk. And I had such high hopes for him at the end of the YJK series. Why did they have to go screw everything up?

4. lowbacca_solo_choice

lowbacca_solo_choice Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2007
    Lowbacca is a YJK...thats what I came here for![face_flag]

5. lowbacca_solo_choice

May 31, 2007
    Could I be a member???:D I'm mainly a fan of Lowbacca, you now!The wookie who's force sensitive???The one who was trained in Luke Skywalker's Jedi Temple???[face_mischief] Now I'm talking some Lowbacca here![face_plain]

6. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Yes of course. Welcome. :) Lowie's quite awesome.

7. Arwen_Djo

Arwen_Djo Jedi Master star 3

Jul 3, 2006
    Hey all. I've been lurking for a while but have really had anything worthwhile to say..

I must say that despite Jacen's whole great guy turned emo spiel, Tenel Ka's turn around from Jedi Knight to Queen Mother really bothers me. I mean, when happened to the amazing, dedicated, headstrong young woman we all knew and loved. And that armor... :p So all the sudden she gives up her Knighthood, has an illegitimate kid with emo over here (not that we didn't see it coming...) and well, you get the pic.

I'm sorry but I think we all knew that Jacen, as sensitive as he was, wasn't gonna stay that way for long. Tenel Ka, on the other hand is something different all together...[face_frustrated]

8. lowbacca_solo_choice

May 31, 2007
    I should be a member...I-M a big YJK fan![face_laugh]

9. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    welcome, both of you

10. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Do you want the long version, the short version, or the really stupid version?

11. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    Do you want the long version, the short version, or the really stupid version?

Meh. All three of them will do. It's not like I've got anything better to do.

Anyway, you know what really annoys me? Many people say that the YJKs don't have much of a role to play in the Legacy era. Some even say that their only purpose is to die. Tenel Ka has to die because Jacen is turning into a Sith, even though he swore not to kill her or their daughter. Zekk apparently has to die too, though I'm pretty sure the logic behind this has something to do with Jaina, and some other green-eyed dark-haired male, don't you think? o_O

The YJKs have SO much potential. I mean, if the Solo twins have been developed in the way that they have, why can't their friends? I mean, the next generation can't be exclusively about Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker, can it?

(sigh) Del Rey, I am STILL upset with you. Are you trying to do what the Egyptians did, and wipe out the next generation, thus leading to a slow but certain extinction?

12. Arwen_Djo

Jul 3, 2006
    Why thank you master!

13. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Tell me about it. YJK really developed characters and the relationships between the characters, but a lot of that seems to get ignored. If the authors drew on the stuff from YJK however, they'd really have a lot to go on.

In the books after YJK, a lot of which I haven't read, it seems like the authors' make the other YJK-born characters a little dependant on what's going on with the twins, rather than being more independant, and having more of their own, individual stuff going on.

Maybe the others (read: not the twins) have a bigger fanbase than the others realize? Or maybe they're just fading into the distance/getting killed off because the authors aren't really sure what to do with them next? Or mayb the're just fading into the distance/getting killed off because the authors want to make a dramatic impact with all the deaths?
    Just some thoughts. :)

14. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Hey, can I join?

These were great reads. I loved the characters they introduced - especially Tenel Ka and Lowbacca - both were thoughtfully written and interesting.

15. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Tell me about it. YJK really developed characters and the relationships between the characters, but a lot of that seems to get ignored. If the authors drew on the stuff from YJK however, they'd really have a lot to go on.

In the overall scheme of things, characters and relationships from YJK and JJK have been utilized fairly often. Not as often as we would like, maybe, but often, nonetheless:

Denning drew on characterizations and plotlines from YJK in both SbS and DN. Greg Keyes not only included Anakin and Tahiri in his NJO duology, he also wrote a serialized story about Uldir Lochett for either SW Gamer or SW Insider. Elaine Cunningham wrote a short story for SW Insider that took place directly after YJK. Tahiri was featured prominently in later NJO novels. Lowbacca had a fairly large role as Jaina?s sidekick in DJ.

The Expanded Universe is a huge place; there?s simply not time to delve into every single character?s history and motivations. Maybe the YJK have taken a backseat to the Big Three, but most characters do, because the Big Three are at the heart of post-RotJ EU. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see a series of short stories (maybe even a series of comic book one-shots) featuring the YJK sans Solo/Skywalkers, but to be honest, I'm pretty happy to see Zekk and Tenel Ka in "major" minor roles in LotF. :)

16. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see a series of short stories (maybe even a series of comic book one-shots) featuring the YJK sans Solo/Skywalkers, but to be honest, I'm pretty happy to see Zekk and Tenel Ka in "major" minor roles in LotF.
    Same here. They are such good characters that not using them would be a downright tragedy, at least in my opinion.

17. Warrior_Goddess

Warrior_Goddess Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2006
    i agree that jacen needs to die. soon. very soon.

18. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Screw LOTF. Screw it bigtime. I am 1. not reading and 2. don't care what they say because my fanon is better

And 3. Darth Emo needs to die.

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Everyone's fanon is better than that crap, Sil!

Seriously, Del Rey had freakin' gold with the end of the YJK-and they threw it all away. All. Of. It. Out of all of the next gen characters, YJK and non-YJK:

Jacen Solo
    Jaina Solo
    Tenel Ka
    Zekk
    Lowbacca
    Lusa
    Raynar
    Anakin Solo
    Tahiri Veila
    Anja Gallandro
    Myri Antilles
    Jysella Horn
    Valin Horn

Were any of them used properly? Nope. Not a damned one.

20. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed.

I mean, if Del Rey had a bunch of different but great ideas for these characters that they wanted to go with, that would be one thing. But they didn't.

If they couldn't come up with anything better (or just as good), then there really is no excuse to throw all the YJK goodies away.

21. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    It's at times like this, you can't help but wonder what the hell they were smoking at Del Rey. I mean, I know it's Star Wars, and thus conflict is pretty much a necessity, but why did they have to screw everything up?

Sure, they could have still use the whole Yuuzhan Vong invasion and all that, but they should have still used the YJKs and their friends. They had so much solid gold potential, and they chose to piss it all away! They chose to kill half of them, and then shove the rest into obscurity.

And one thing that I will NEVER understand (no matter how hard I try) was why the hell did they bring Jagged Fel into it, and put Jaina with him? No offense to any of his fans, but I still can't see what his appeal is. And at the very least, we wouldn't have this whole J/J/Z division.

You know what? I loved the YJK series very much. More than anyone can hope to understand. And with the NJO series, Del Rey chose to take what I loved, and they not only destroyed it, they raped and mutilated it's corpse. I will never forgive them for that.

But what the hell do I know? To them, I'm just another pathetic fan.

22. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    I liked the NJO, and I liked DN, and I like LotF. I understand where the hatred comes from, but I don?t share it, and I wish we could discuss YJK here rather than how Del Rey raped everyone?s childhood, set up the slave trade, started the French Revolution, caused global warming and invented the very notion of war.

They chose to kill half of them, and then shove the rest into obscurity.

Let?s say we have ten core main characters from JJK/YJK. Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka, Zekk, Lowbacca, Raynar, Lusa, Anakin, Tahiri, and I?ll even throw in Em Teedee as a bonus. Of those ten, only three (Lusa, Anakin, Em Teedee) are dead. That?s not half. That?s not even close to half.

Of the remaining seven, Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka, Zekk, Tahiri and Raynar have all had fairly major roles in post-YJK profic. Jacen and Jaina, obviously, as they?re Solos and therefore automatically guaranteed the spotlight; Tenel Ka and Zekk were major minor characters in DN and LotF; Tahiri was a major player throughout the NJO, and Raynar had his chance to shine (erm ? burn? :p) in DN.

I love YJK. It?s a great, fun series. It has its amazing moments and it has its inconsistencies and it has its fair share of *headdesk* situations. It introduced great characters, and whether these characters were developed the way you would have chosen to develop them or not, they have factored into post-YJK EU.

23. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    Yeah, I guess you're right.

Still kind of sucks though.

24. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    [face_laugh] =D= Well put.

25. Arwen_Djo

Jul 3, 2006
    Hehe. I agree with Emerald_Lady!!! :D Very well put.

But to echo several others, they had so much to work with at the end of YJK! Instead of using these as major(ish) characters, we brought in a bunch of totally new people. Danni and Jag, for instance. I've got nothing against them, mind you, but did we really need them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.