main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The *OFFICIAL* YJK series Fan Club V1.0: Well what are we waiting for?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by _3MD_PsychoSniper, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Pictures will be needed! Awesome set of costumes!

2. Arwen_Djo

Arwen_Djo Jedi Master star 3

Jul 3, 2006
    Ohh... pictures are a must!![:D] I've been wanting to make a costume forever but never get around to it.[face_frustrated]

3. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I have returned with pictures and craziness!

Here is a link to the part of my con report that contains the LotF pictures -- they are near the beginning on this one.

And then the part of the con report that contain YJK Tenel Ka, YJK Jacen and YJK Jaina pictures! :D Those are near the beginning (and then a few more with Jacen and TK near the middle) of that post.

You can skip all my silly ramblings on those posts unless you want to try to decipher all the fangirl/nerdiness/etc. that is included in them. ;)

4. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    you are sucha perfect TK! and I like the Jaina dress up too

but Jacen might wanna grow that hair out a little ;)

5. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Aw! *hugs* Thank you! :D I know I definitely need to be more tan to pull it off, but I couldn't pass up trying the costume finally~ I've been wanting to make the YJK armor forever -- and I know it's not perfect by far but I was happy with how it came out, especially since I'm not that great with a sewing machine. LOL~ XD

And yeah, we totally complained at him about cutting his hair before the convention! ;D

6. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    your sewing's better than mine ;)

7. GeithJiseo2

GeithJiseo2 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 21, 2004
    Hi, guys! I'm a HUGE fan of the YJK series, and I was so glad I was able to find the hardback versions of the Shadow Academy and Diversity Alliance books on ebay. Now I just need to find the Black Sun books in hardback, and I'll be set!

The YJK series are my favorite EU, hands down. I love the characters, I love their relationships, and I love the memorable lines and scenes. I'd have to say the Shadow Academy books were the best ones, and the Black Sun books were the worst (but still really good, and better than anything in the NJO), mostly because Anja Gallandro was so damn annoying! My favorite characters were Jacen and Tenel Ka by far, and my favorite book was Lightsabers.

So basically, another die-hard YJK fan who wishes to join your awesome club! :D

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I think my favorite picture, -Tenel-Ka-, was the one of you and 'Jacen' when your arm was cut off. I loved the expression on his face! [face_laugh]

9. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm so tempted to write a J/Z fic every time I hear "Jet City Woman" blast this homework/study load

sorry had to get that out. any of you have songs that remind you of YJK's

10. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    Not right now Sil, but write that story anyway. J/Z is always a good thing!

11. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    some J/TK fanart that I got from a south park character generator: http://silsolo.deviantart.com/art/JacenXTK-67136023

the thing's so addicting. Think I should attempt the other YJK's as well?

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Pretty cool, Sil. I say go for it.

13. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    [image=http://devbook.com/apps/fun/southparkchar/imagedata/cached/5/56/568/5685/568519204-931166401.jpg]

Jaina

[image=http://devbook.com/apps/fun/southparkchar/imagedata/cached/5/56/568/5685/568519204-1357804942.jpg]

Lowie

[image=http://devbook.com/apps/fun/southparkchar/imagedata/cached/5/56/568/5685/568519204-902851900.jpg]

Ben

[image=http://devbook.com/apps/fun/southparkchar/imagedata/cached/5/56/568/5685/568519204-1617222785.jpg]

Zekk

and my original scary Sithly chick

here

and I thought I'd never get addicted to facxebook

14. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    More Jaina art, not sure if it counts as YJK: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/67268881/

this may look familiar to those who's seen my lineart last year

15. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    upping with plot bunny:

Rewrite the YJK series where Jaina's twin is an identical twin sister named Jacene and Isolder and Teneniel had a boy named Tenak, a guy who fights like a Hapan kickboxer, instead of TK, whose style is more Dathomiri, IMO.

Remind me not to have trouble sleeping again. I tend to spawn lots of plot bunnies while lying awake in bed, with ipod set to play a giant playlist.

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Might wanna post that one in the TK fan club as well, Sil. And cool SP characters. :)

17. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    I decided to read YJK over again recently, so I did some poking around today, and I'm sad to see it's been four or five months since this thread has seen much activity. And, I was sad to learn that there was a YJK Index I had no idea about- and that it's been inactive since 2005.

So, I guess I'll ask what everyone thinks about the difference in the YJK relationships compared to more recent series, like LotF. I don't mean to start a hate rampage against NJO, or LotF or anything, I'm just putting out there- out of curiosity, and to liven this place up.

Personally, the Jacen and Jaina scenario fascinates me- I loved their relationship in YJK. They were so close, friends and twins. In LotF, it's just so sad to see what's become of them and that relatinoship.

So, there it is, I suppose. Have at it. (If anyone can even find the thread, considering the Wes Janson invasion.:p )

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I reread the YJK too, ZekksGoddess. *Sigh* I'm sorry, but... I can't stand what happened in the NJO/DNT/LOTF. Jacen and Jaina, twins... now probably gonna fight to the death.

That's wrong on so many levels...

19. ZekksGoddess

Oct 2, 2004

I know- it's so awful to think about.
    Though, I must say I've been bitten by several plot bunnies...:)

There were quite a few things I didn't like about NJO, but it was decent, I suppose. As a whole, I don't mind LotF. I like some parts, and others make me cringe a bit. Of course, I'm only three quarters of the way through Tempest, so I've got what, five more books to try and catch up on? Maybe I won't like it by the end, but for now I'm hanging in there.

I'm harboring totally mixed feelings about Jacen. I miss the jokester with the ridiculous amount of pets, that's for sure. It's hard to believe that kid- who I almost found too cute, and almost naive for his own good- turned into Caedus. The quiet, introspective, cunning Jacen never ceases to shock me. But, like I said, I've got quite a few books to go. Plenty of time for some more shock, eh?

20. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    I've been finding it really strange to read about the distant twin bond now. Well, not that there is one at all... But the characters certainly have "evolved" into completely different people since their time in the YJK.

I mean, let's compare major character traits from then to now:

Jaina
    Was: Determined, Optimistic
    Now: Determined, Single-Minded

Jacen
    Was: Comedic, Caring, Sensitive
    Now: Humorless, Driven by a single issue, Cares for only one other person

Tenel Ka
    Was: Serious, Warrior
    Now: Serious, Weaker, Monarch (wearing dresses, no less!)

Got any more?

21. ZekksGoddess

Oct 2, 2004
    Hmm...

Jaina
    Was: Pretty open. (As far as emotions. She was much more prone to obvious displays of compassion in YJK- worriedly biting her lip, a tear or so.)
    Now: Very closed. (Now, she seems like a rock, without a lot of her emotions showing through. Of course, as readers, we see it- but there's not a lot of physical evidence of it. Just what the author tells us.)

As far as Jacen...

Oh, Jacen.

Sometimes I don't even know what to say about him.

In YJK he had moments of overconfidence- little things every teenager goes through, really. Trying to impress Tenel Ka, maybe showing off a bit- but if it failed, he could always brush it off with an embarassed smile and a joke. He was generally pretty down-to-earth, espeically considering the family he was born into. I don't think he'd appreciate any kind of failure much now- he's such a serious, intense guy all the time. And I find him incredibly overconfident. While he may know more Force tricks, or other things, than most other Jedi- the way he acknowledges it seems very egotistical. But I may just think that because of my bias to the younger Jacen. :)

I'd like to analyze Lowbacca, too- but he doesn't seem to be around enough to analyze. Does he get a larger role, or any role, further on in LotF?

As for Raynar- I'm not even sure how to go about comparing him, what with the UnuThul thing, Killiks and all.

And Tenel Ka, I have been a little surprised with her character so far. I haven't finished Tempest yet, so I'll refrain from saying too much about her until I get a better grasp from the book.

22. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    they've been quite butchered for awhile now

23. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Just wanted to chime in with my thoughts on two particular characters:

Jacen:

Despite all evidence to the contrary throughout YJK (namely, the terrible jokes :p), Jacen Solo has always been a thinker. Rereading YJK, I can see YJK Jacen in his NJO counterpart, particularly during his conversation with Luke at the end of Shadow Academy (pp. 204-206). His responses and reactions remind me very much of the solemn philosopher he had yet to fully develop into.

As for Darth Caedus, let me say this: For once, I find Jacen intriguing. Say what you want about his transition from Jedi to Sith, but I believe it makes sense?here is a man so dedicated to searching out the truth that he has deluded himself into thinking he will find it in darkness and violence. His spirit of youthful idealism has been corrupted by his experiences, and I fully believe in his transformation. It?s tragic and compelling, and I want to see him redeemed.

While rereading Lightsabers, I further noticed two passages in which Jasa?s actions or thoughts brought to mind his older self:

Jacen tensed, holding his lightsaber ready. Much as he hated to admit it, he drew upon some of the skills Brakiss had taught him at the Shadow Academy. (p. 33 in the Jedi Sunrise omnibus edition)

Here Jacen is nervous?this is his first lightsaber training session and he doesn?t want to embarrass himself. He reverts back to Brakiss? teachings because he thinks they are necessary to achieve his ends.

Jacen focused on the pain at the spot where he had been struck by the laser, using it to intensify his determination. (pp. 33-34 in the Jedi Sunrise omnibus edition)

As young as fourteen, he?s already ?embracing the pain,? so to speak.

Raynar:

Ah, Raynar. He did a lot of growing up during YJK. I?ve always thought of him as the Peter Pettigrew of the YJK group?the chubby awkward boy who wanted to hang out with the cool kids. ;) He survived his father?s death; later, he survived the horrific crash that left him at the mercy of the Killiks. Not only did he survive, he also thrived as the leader of an alien race. Events transpired to turn Raynar from the haughty rich boy of Heirs of the Force to the survivor we see in the Dark Nest Trilogy. He?s a different character now than he was in Crisis at Crystal Reef, and he?s a different character in that book than he is in Heirs of the Force. Poor boy?s been through so much; he needs a hug. ;)

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    JINO sucks. UnuThul sucks. Lusa, Anakin, Lyric's death suck. Jaina's reversion to adolescence sucks. Zekk and Tenel Ka being shoved to the side and Tenel Ka being pretty much set up as Padme 2.0 suck. Jaina being pretty much set up as the IWoD sucks.

Yeah, I'm really trying to think of one good thing that's happened to these characters... and beyond Allana-and even that's tainted by JINO-I really can't.

25. ZekksGoddess

Oct 2, 2004
    Ah, Raynar. He did a lot of growing up during YJK. I?ve always thought of him as the Peter Pettigrew of the YJK group?the chubby awkward boy who wanted to hang out with the cool kids.
    Ah, no way! So did I!

As for Darth Caedus, let me say this: For once, I find Jacen intriguing.
    I do too, despite what some of my random complaints may lead you to believe. I do complain now and then, because I miss the YJK years and the general happiness of them among the friends, but LotF cetainly is making for an interesting read.

I find his fall- which is sort of drawn out in the beginning, but understandably so- very convincing, and you can certainly follow his life through the EU and understand how he's come to this point. The slow process of his slide into darkness is what makes it so convincing for me- how at first, he decides to take on becoming a Sith for a way to bring order to the galaxy, and then slowly he's consumed by the things he does to try to achieve that order.

It?s tragic and compelling, and I want to see him redeemed.
    It definitely is. I feel like such a nerd, but sometimes I think about it too much, and I think about how emotional this whole thing would really be for everyone involved. The break between the twins really breaks my heart, as does the massive confusion between all those in LotF who were once so close.

I would also love to see Jacen 'see the light' (:p). I have to wonder, though- if Jacen is redeemed, what would become of him? How would he deal with what he's done? How would he live with himself? How would others live with him?

You also pointed out some very interesting excerpts from YJK, Joe. I'd never noticed them before, and now I've got the urge to re-read the series again and look for more. :)

Lusa, Anakin, Lyric's death suck.
    Well, I'll agree here- it's sad they all had to die. I think Del Rey was really trying to show how the Yuuzhan Vong were such a strong threat, and how brutal the war was and needed some younger characters to hit home.

Jaina's reversion to adolescence sucks.
    I wouldn't necessarily say Jaina has reverted to adolescence. She's definitely become hardened by everything that's happened. I think, if she's perceived as immature, or childish sometimes, that we have to remember she was only nineteen when the war started. Before that, she and her brothers were in constant danger of kidnappings or other enemies. Her teenage years were filled with a lot of emotional turmoil, what with friends turning to the dark side, being caught up in a vast anti-human organization or crime syndicate, in addition to regular teenage drama. She's got a lot on her plate, and a lot has been expected of her since she was just a child, being the daughter of Han and Leia, and the neice of Luke Skywalker.

I admit, sometimes I can get annoyed by her actions, too, but I try to give her some credit and see, psychologically, where she could be coming from. (Which can be really hard sometimes.:))

Zekk and Tenel Ka being shoved to the side and Tenel Ka being pretty much set up as Padme 2.0 suck.
    I'm still only on Tempest, and while I do wish the two of them had larger roles, I'm alright with how Zekk's being portrayed so far, and I'm certainly happy he at least has a role. The authors could have easily given him the shaft in favor of a new guy, just Jag, or Kyp Durron or something.

I haven't seen enough of Tenel Ka to judge yet. If she is like another version of Padme, I hope she doesn't meet the same end. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.