main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The *OFFICIAL* YJK series Fan Club V1.0: Well what are we waiting for?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by _3MD_PsychoSniper, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    What would you have done with the characters after YJK? I'm not being sarcastic here; I notice that you're involved in an AU project over on the fanfic boards that basically rewrites the NJO, and while I haven't had the time recently to invest my readership in a fanfic epic, I would be very interested to know where you and your group of writers have taken the characters. From the way you talk, I'm assuming all the YJK couples are still intact--J/Z, J/TK, Raynar/Lusa? None of the side characters have died? Jacen, Jaina, etc. are all steering well clear of the dark side? Also, rather than hearing you rant that everything "sucks," I'd really like to hear why you believe that the direction you would have chosen for the series is superior to the direction Del Rey chose. Again, not trying to stir up anger--just trying to get some conversation going. ;)

Great minds and all that. ;)

And all over the course of 20+ books! I'm not sure how well the authors planned that out, but I think they've handled it fairly well. I've thought Jacen would go dark since Destiny's Way, so none of it came as any surprise to me. :p

Perhaps this is odd, but LotF has finally turned me into a J/TK 'shipper. Maybe it's the air of DOOMED LOVE that has come to pervade the pairing. That gets me every time. :p

And that's why I want him redeemed rather than sliced up.

Zekk has gotten as much page time as any non-Solo/Skywalker character in LotF. I'm rather pleased with this. :)

You'll like her when you get to Inferno. She is made of much awesome. [face_mischief]

2. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Maybe it's the air of DOOMED LOVE that has come to pervade the pairing. That gets me every time.

Apparently. Lily/Severus, J/TK?
    Nah, we?re in the same boat there, too.

You'll like her when you get to Inferno. She is made of much awesome.
    =D=
    I've really got to get moving with my reading. :)

3. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    plot bunny again.

Instead of having a second son, Ta'a Chume had a daughter named Iseldra. Because of this, alot of things are different and amongst them is the fact that Tenel Ka, in this universe, is Kalen and Teneniel's daughter. Anyhow, the bunny's to rewrite the YJK series to fit an AU where TK's rarely set foot on her father's homeworld of Hapes and not the heir to the Hapan crown.

4. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    It hurts me how much the YJK group was effectively destroyed. Everything we used to love... all gone.

5. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    Hey everyone. Finally having read most of the YJK series, I'm a fan.

As pointed out earlier, I do see the philosopher in young Jacen, especially during Shadow Academy. So while NJO Jacen is mostly compatible with YJK Jacen, I just don't see DN or LotF Jacen in him. I hope that a more detailed account of his five-year-trek comes out so it could explain how Jacen changed between the NJO and DN. Five years is a long time...

With Jaina, I can definitely see her becoming hardened by the realities of war, but I don't see how she and Zekk could've been split apart so quickly or how she became bitter (for lack of a better word) with Leia for "being a bad mother." In The Lost Ones, Jaina admires Leia for being so busy at work trying to make the New Republic's worlds safer, and is happy when Leia leaves work early to see her kids more during their visit on Coruscant.

Tenel Ka's choice to accept the throne, while in character to me, is saddening since she can no longer completely focus on being a Jedi. And how Allana was conceived was, to me, unsatisfactory. There was no commitment, no... I don't know, but it wasn't the way I saw Jacen and Tenel Ka finally getting together.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but there's something wrong with Zekk's characterization in the NJO because I thought he was an annoying, throwaway character before I read the YJK books. Of all the characters, I think that Zekk has been pushed aside the most. There wasn't any sort of explanation as to why Jaina dropped Zekk so quickly and went to Jag. There wasn't much of an explanation as to why Zekk became more scared of turning back to the dark side after his forgiving himself and gaining courage. And not to mention that near the end of LotF, he willingly used the dark side to talk to Ship...which was weird to me.

Tahiri's shaping was...interesting. It intrigues me and yet repulses me at the same time. There was a lot of ways they could've taken her with that, but her subsequent fail to the dark side was horribly written. There's nothing positive to say about it at all -- she was barely trained, inadequately explained. Her characterization is shot to hell. Tahiri isn't recognizable at all.

The deaths in the NJO, while showing that nobody is safe anymore in the galaxy, were quite pointless -- Lusa's death was mentioned for about two paragraphs and then forgotten forever, Chewie's sacrifice was negated when Anakin died, and Anakin's death was the most upsetting to me personally. I mean, there was no reason to kill him off. None. And the numerous failed prophecies resulting from his death -- from Luke's prophecy during the YJK to Ikrit's in Conquest -- as well as the Lumiya's failed prophecy during LotF makes me wonder if they just write visions with no intention of actually following through on them.

I'm not really angry as much as frustrated. Personality changes have to be explained, or gradually changed during the books, to make them believable...

6. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    I adored the YJK series, and what happened to them in NJO and beyond was basically like several knives through my heart. I wish that someone would create a new canon to replace Del Rey's. And in this one, the YJK's would NOT be screwed up like they were in NJO. And that includes the romantic issues. To me, Jaina/Zekk, Jacen/Tenel Ka and Anakin/Tahiri should have all happened not long after YJK. (hint, hint, word of warning about your icon MarasFire) Though personally, I'm not sure about Raynar/Lusa. I mean, I'm glad that they care about each other, but... well, she's half horse! I mean, how would that work?:confused:

Anyway, I guess I'll still support them.:)

The events of LOTF (I'll try not to include spoilers here) have left me with little hope for the future. This is NOT what I was hoping for my beloved characters as I read YJK. Not in the least. Del Rey and the authors have left me little hope for the EU now. Ironically, I like their Halo and Dark Angel novels, but as for Star Wars, they pretty much killed it.

Thanks a lot, you a-holes!:mad:

Sorry to anyone who is offended, but I'm just very passionate. And by extension, very sad.

7. MarasFire

Jun 14, 2007
    Lol at your hint, Furyan.

I think that YJK Jaina is best with Zekk while NJO Jaina is best with Jag, not just because Jaina hadn't met Jag yet but because of who she became during the war... If the Vong had never invaded, I think Jaina and Zekk would've turned out just fine.

And I agree with you about the Raynar/Lusa. I just can't get emotionally involved with their romance... if it's called that.

8. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    So, did you guys actually get a chance to read any of the new LotF? In Invincible, every chapter begins with a Jacen joke, c. YJK era. Troy Denning is so a lurker here in the YJKFC, no? I'll bet he's RK_Striker! Sure, Striker acts like he despises it all, but it's just his cover. He actually wrote SBS and a third of the LotF stuff.

9. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    interesting theory

10. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Fanart for ya: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/89997019/

Pic of Tahiri's body and face with Riina inhabiting it, for a few more seconds anyway.

11. MarasFire

Jun 14, 2007
    [face_laugh] Somehow I highly doubt that's true. It would be an interesting revelation, though. I don't think that Denning using Jacen's jokes means that he lurks around here... Maybe he just knew that was the most efficient way to provoke feeling into the reader at his death.

12. MarasFire

Jun 14, 2007
    Lowbacca is probably the most seldom-mentioned member of the old YJK crew. It's sad, really. He's the only canon Wookiee Jedi, right? You'd think they'd give him a bit more to do. But he does have centuries left to his life, at any rate, unless they kill him off.

But anyway. During the formal knighting ceremony for all of the Myrkr survivors, Luke said that Lowie was the one he'd never doubted. o_O Why? During his time at the Shadow Academy Lowie had given into his anger twice, he was duped by Raaba into joining the Diversity Alliance, and he ended up being exiled to Dagobah for a while at the end of the Dark Nest Crisis for giving away Jedi intel (IIRC). I'm not saying that Lowie was completely unreliable or anything like that, but was he really the one that Luke never doubted? It would seem that Zekk would've been more worthy of that title (after he left the Second Imperium, of course, but he wasn't even a Jedi before that so it wasn't a betrayal). I'm thinking that the author didn't really know what to say about Lowie so he just had Luke say that... What do you all think?

13. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    he might've been duped and all, but I think he's still got that Wookiee loyalty

14. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    It's not just the jokes, though. Denning is time and time again the guy who brings back the YJK, just as Traviss always brings in the Mandalorians wherever possible (even though barely applicable).

I thought until I'd read Inivincible that what Luke had said of Jaina (Sword of the Jedi) had been his "can't think of what to say" moment. As for Lowie, I tend to think that even though he may have faltered in his actions, he was always true in his intent. He's always been of strong character, and Luke knows that and sees it probably better than anyone else.

Also, there's the possibility that Luke was biased towards Wookiee character in general...

15. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think a lot of authors don't know what to do with Lowbacca because of the language barrier. But then again, he's probably suffered the least characterization damage as a result of his being largely AWOL. These days the less you are around the better.

It's a shame, because he really is a great character, and not just a Chewbacca-clone. I also really miss Em Teedee - such an underrated character from the YJK. He ended up roasting in the Tachyon Flyer, right? Poor little guy.

16. MarasFire

Jun 14, 2007
    Yeah, poor Lowie. I really do wonder what they'll do with him in the future. By the way, it wasn't my intention to bash Lowie in the above post. I only meant to point out the reasons why Luke's words to him didn't exactly make sense.

17. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I didn't think you were basing Lowie. ;)

Maybe he can show up in the Legacy comics - he should still be alive then (although I'm not all that interested in them personally).

18. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Shh... no one's noticed... but technically, no one's kicked us out of the EUS yet- not according to the roster. We need to consider whether we'd like to join a faction (before we get sent a Sithly governor without approval by us).

But yeah, I think Lowie still has a lot of potential, especially being as young as he is, as far as his species goes.

19. DarthBellumSolo

DarthBellumSolo Jedi Master star 1

Mar 26, 2008
    Lowie - excellent Jedi. Certainly, to it to not be compared to a Trinity of Solo, but to observe of it rather interestingly.
    Though most of all it is pleasant to me in Young Jedi Knights - Jacen. The cheerful, charming and talented boy.[face_love] Here Jaina it is opened insufficiently strongly. It is very amusing to observe for eternally serious Tenel Ka. And at last to see at Zekk though any emotions! :)

[face_devil] Bel [face_devil]

20. YJK-Index

YJK-Index Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2009
    Thought I'd drop in and let you all know the new YJK Index is on its feet- still a work in progress, mind you, with fixing links and adding new content, but it's well on its way. :)

21. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    already posted in the TK fanclub but here's some baby YJK's:

Jacen

[image=http://babies.makeababy.us/f2/f0/2/3-3-1-28-3-6-6-1-1-8-1-0-15-31-48-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1.png]

Anakin

[image=http://babies.makeababy.us/d1/3b/c/3-12-1-25-4-2-8-1-1-10-1-0-17-32-33-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-57-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1.png]

Jaina

[image=http://babies.makeababy.us/45/6c/d/2-4-2-11-6-7-3-4-1-2-1-0-50014-50001-50024-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1.png]

Tahiri

[image=http://babies.makeababy.us/e7/04/3/3-12-2-8-15-4-3-1-1-8-1-0-0-44-55-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1.png]

Tenel Ka

[image=http://babies.makeababy.us/0e/20/2/1-12-2-7-16-9-3-1-1-5-2-0-30020-30024-30081-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-30001-0-30004-30006-0-0-1.png]

Made me realize I still need to find suitable boys for Zekk and Raynar :p

Non YJKs:

Kol Skywalker

[image=http://babies.makeababy.us/91/8a/a/1-7-2-13-17-5-4-1-1-5-2-20004-0-30002-30001-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1.png]

Mara Jade

[image=http://babies.makeababy.us/56/39/3/3-8-2-11-17-4-4-1-1-8-1-0-78-27-153-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1.png]

and if you have the app, browse thru my babies and you'll see around 3 pages of Star Wars and Harry Potter clones

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Unlocked by request.

I had a reread of Jedi Under Siege recently, and still love it as one of my favourite stories. I am glad that it has been given more continuity weight by people like Abel. One of my favourite Imperial groups. Much more interesting than the Empire Reborn, which I think came after it and stole a few ideas from the Second Imperium, to be honest.

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Gods, JuS was so good. No, scratch that. It IS good. Jaina redeeming Zekk, the young jedi showing what they've got, Luke showing one of his last great performances...

Tenel Ka kicking Tamith Kai's butt in her assault on the barge...=P~[face_love]

And Jacen, oh Jacen... going up in a rattletrap that made the Falcon look brand new to do something that he had little talent with. [face_peace]

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The best part would be Luke-Brakiss duel, and then the Royal Guards revelation, for me, I'd say. I wish the Dark Jedi had been expanded upon at some point in NJO, when Oovo IV was hit by the Vong. Pity.

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Luke pwning Brakiss ten ways from Sunday always brings a smile to my face. :D

Oovo IV? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.