main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Official Yularen in TCW Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CaptainRegor, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    But - but Rex is a fan favorite....that's why. The fans clamor for more Rex.

2. Now_Serving_No1138

Now_Serving_No1138 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    Maybe he's helping Tarkin out with something Death Star related? He does turn up on the Death Star in ANH...

I haven't read the Death Star novel or a lot of EU, so I don't know if that theory stacks up with 1) currently uncontradicted EU or 2) the fact that the last time saw the Death Star plans they were in Separatist hands (I think).

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Everyone clamors for their favorite characters, nothing personal. There are alot of characters fighting for limited screentime. =b

Maybe this droid arc will pay off with someone about the Death Star being on the stolen flash drive. Its just a thought, don't hurt me. x.x;

I don't think I've seen much of Rex interacting with Yularen over the series. Maybe in "Storm Over Ryloth".

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Obi-Wan beats him with a blaster which isn't a favorite choice of mine. That makes little enough sense as it is, saying it makes even less sense because they've dueled before may have some truth to it but IMO can't have much because there isn't much "less" room to travel.

Ahsoka's existence does not conflict with the films. If you can give a reason as to why you think it does conflict, that I'd be interested in.

Seerow likes this.
  5. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe all the bull$#!! that Tom Kane got for him sounding too similar to the Narrator and his other roles made Filoni and co. shove Yularen onto a bus?

Seerow likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Why would that be a bad thing?

I thought Yularen literally was the narrator, no joke.

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yularen isn't the narrator? :confused:

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The voices are super similar, I see no harm in thinking of it that way so long as it doesn't bother you.

One of many interpretive choices TCW allows the viewer. ;)

KenobiSkywalker and Seerow like this.
  9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I always pretend the voice over for the Walmart and Cash America Pawn commercials among others, is Yularen. XD

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  10. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Rex and Yularen aren't mutually exclusive to each other. Yularen has had a few background roles in TCW's more recent episodes. In Darkness On Umbara, Yularen is the one who sends in the Y-Wings to provide air support for the ground troops. We also see Yularen providing support from orbit in Kidnapped. As the most established of the non-clone officers, one who regularly interacts with Obi-Wan and Anakin and who is set to become an Imperial security complex elite, Yularen can provide some value to the series beyond just background roles.

Keep in mind that Rex becoming such a prominent and well-rounded character to rival many leads of the PT era is a fairly recent development. Until the Umbara arc, Rex also had similarly scant development since ARC Troopers and The Deserter. Then he skyrocketed to near the top of the pile with an huge story arc focused largely on him. A good Yularen arc (perhaps involving Tarkin and other future Imperial/Rebel leaders) could do something similar for the moustachio'd fleet commander.

TreborSabreon and Seerow like this.
  11. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Lol, Yularen with his two arms fighting a huge beast with six arms, I think we'd know who'd win that, but Yularen would manage to have a trick up his sleeve :)

12. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I kinda thought this too; they sound very similar so why not? I think Yularen suits the narrator role.

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Somebody should ask this question to Filoni sometime.

14. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I can see it now..

"That's a really good question, and perhaps we'll see something on that in the future... But I really can't say." :p

Seerow likes this.
  15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    And then they replace the narrator for the News Reel with JAT's Obi-wan voice. - "So Obi-wan is narrating now?"

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yularen is a huge beast. He may only have two arms, but have you seen those arms? He should make a calendar.

Yularen would win, first round KO.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  17. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe so, but
    Who in this case would be Trench.

Seerow likes this.
  18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    And that's when Ahsoka wins the arm wrestling contest.

19. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    But only because she cheated and used the force. :p

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Aww...was everyone thinking I was serious above? Of course Yularen and Rex can co-exist, and in the same story, too. But I'm sometimes sure that TCW forgets they can use more than 1 character or the same character when they have so many characters to choose from - and should use some of them rather than relegating them to the dustbin in favor of more Skyguy, Wondergirl and Padme.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    lol. Remind me of FMA when Ed used alchemy to win the arm wrestling contest by breaking his opponent's automail arm (that's basically a prosthetic limb). I'd laugh so hard if Ahsoka got called out. Come on Lux, prove yourself useful!

lol, sorry. That's my fault.

But just sayin' the thing with TCW is the number of characters fighting for screen time. TCW tends to give most of the screen time these days to the central characters (Anakin, Obi-wan, Padme, etc) in the story are the characters who support them (Ahsoka and Rex). The other characters already in the pool who should get more use and the ones essential to moving the main characters through their journey and setting up the future. I honestly think Tarkin needs to be given more prominence than Yularen just as I think Barriss is a character who should appear more. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see Tarkin and Yularen working together in the future.

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Seerow - no disagreement there. I suspect Tarkin will get a bit more exposure as time goes by and possibly with Yularen.

Barriss, though, and Kit and Luminara...hmm, don't know. Mace and Plo quite possibly.

I just wish the show would use its other "B" characters more when it suits the story, rather than always reaching for the "A" team when the story doesn't really call for the "A" team. The story should drive the use of the characters and which characters.

FARK2005 and TreborSabreon like this.
  23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    TCW is pretty much about the journey of Anakin Skywalker during the clone wars and the characters who were big players in that journey. I don't think there are an A team and B team characters. I agree it would be cool to have a B team get atleast an arc a season. This premise is what was always wrong and going to be an obstacle from the start. Personally I'm all for simply putting everyone in the main cast except Ahsoka and Rex on a bus then rebooting the show with a other wise different cast of characters. The cast would float in and out of the various events of TCW not so much differently than what has been going on since season 4. Background Jedi and other characters like that would float in and out of the story with some appearances by Anakin and Obi-wan while the bulk of the story would surround good OCs.

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Awww, I want LOTS of GOOD (excellent!) Obi-Wan. :_| [face_laugh]

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Obi-wan is my favorite... err 2nd favorite Jedi (I had forgotten how much I liked Qui-gon). He's one of two characters in TCW whose presence on the screen instantly makes things awesome. I would definitely like for him to remain a common reoccurring character in a reboot. But just doesn't give us the unpredictability and suspense really TCW needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.