main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Official Yularen in TCW Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CaptainRegor, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I saw Liam Neeson in a movie last night. Made me want to go watch TPM. :D

If they did something where the show follows the OC's and background characters but still has Obi and Anakin around in the background I'd be happy.

2. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, not all of us clamor for more Rex since there is enough of him already. :D

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yup - more CODY! Where's the Cody love? Eh, clone lovers? ;)

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I like Cody! I'll take more of him.

LOL, It makes Aslan in the Disney version of Chronicles of Narnia harder to take serious and yet way more epic. Its off topic find Qui-gon to be a very interesting and somewhat enigmatic guy.

Agreed on OCs, backgrounds, Ani, and Obi.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  5. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Cody deserves more love. He is the first clone to execute Order 66. And is the clone with the biggest role in the movies.

6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
  7. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    That would be really fun as they both were stationed as important figures on the Death Star it would be awesome to see them with each other, bring in the Imperial officers arc!
    Yularen, Tarkin, Piett? Ozzel?

8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Sure, why not run across Piett and Ozzel at some point. Lets find out what turns Yularen into a bad guy. Tarkin already practically electrocutes the viewer with creepster vibes in the Citadel Arc.

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Piett is probably too young to be of any note in TCW.

I also don't see any evidence that Yularen ever turns into a bad guy.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  10. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Indeed. The fact that so many less-than-malevolent people continue serving the Empire is also what makes the Rebels so much more worthwhile as mould-breakers going against the grain.

11. CaptainRegor

Nov 15, 2012
    Maybe, Maybe Piett is just the correct age to become a young recruit taken under Yularen's "wing"?
    Ozzel has already appeared in one of the Clone Wars comics so we got those 3 available

12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    And I don't see any proof the Yularen will always be a good guy. Yes, there are probably decent folks under the Empire. But in ANH Yularen just sits at a table and looks like a shady old man. He looks shady in TCW although he seems decent enough now. If he is going to go along with Tarkin or even start a Republic atrocity like I want to see on his own its certainly going to put a black mark on his soul and atleast change my perception of him for real. You can't have the guy unleash a bio weapon onto a planet even if he is reluctant and say "Oh... well he's a decent man just doing what he believes in." Same can be said for alot of the folks who were on the Death Star me thinks including Yularen.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    So, you don't have any evidence of him "turning bad", but you don't see any proof that he will always be good, so you default to bad?

You say he "seems decent enough now" in TCW. I haven't seen anything to suggest anything evil in him, I haven't seen any mustache twirling.

What? How does someone "look" shady?
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, look at him there, sitting at a table looking like a shady old man. Or just an old man.

Again, what? How does he "look" shady?
    [​IMG]
    Is it the mustache?

Yeah, not seeing it. Maybe if he had an eye patch, a beard or a mustache twirling habit...

Again, what? Where are you even getting this from? Your own fanon?

I see Yularen as....old school military, like a legacy. He doesn't much care for politics, he just serves in the military and protects the current government, whatever it may be.

He's just another cog in the machine, just another part of the establishment. Anyone associated with the Death Star loses morality points, but I don't think he has to "turn bad".

QuangoFett, Esg and TreborSabreon like this.
  14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Good guys:

[​IMG]

Bad guys:

[​IMG]

15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    ANH presents things that way to the audience, of course, but I think that in-universe, you've put forth a false dilemma here. I'm with 5309 on this one.

edit: I should add that this is based on the evidence we've been presented with thus far. Certainly, TCW could write Yularen differently at any point and I'd reserve the right to change my view accordingly.

16. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Ha, Yularen is the only one wearing white in that room.

What you're looking for is this:
    [​IMG]
    See, you can tell who the good guys are cuz they're sittin in tha light, and the bad guys are sitting in the shadows.

Good guys?
    [​IMG]
    lol

Bad guys, you know cuz they're aliens:
    [​IMG]

Cosmo Viking likes this.
  17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Now you're catching on.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  18. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    The real answer is that this show continues to distance itself away from the actual Clone War that is going on so clones, admirals(like Yularen) aren't showing up as much as they should be in a show about a the actual War.

19. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    And Satine is in both the light and the shadows, hmmm, that could mean something.

20. Cosmo Viking

Cosmo Viking Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2012
    Yularen needs his own episode or arc. He is more interesting than the droids.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  21. CaptainRegor

Nov 15, 2012
    Well, White is often used to represent good guys in fiction.

Definitely!

22. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    In the first season Yularen appeared in almost every story arc. But since season two, he has gone missing.
    Personnaly, I think he is very interesting character, but I don't think Filone shares my point of view.

Filoni => "Nightsisters, Death Watch, droids going to a spa and Maul are so much interesting!"

23. Cosmo Viking

Cosmo Viking Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2012
    He is much less charismatic then Talzin, Pre Vizla or Maul but i still want him to have his own arc.

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Pretty much. I guess I have a different way of looking at this and a different idea of what a 'bad guy' is. I haven't seen him do anything evil yet other than sit on the Death Star. He may always be a great guy. Hell, I might get to see him tuck the little Yularens in a night. That doesn't change what I see in ANH. I don't know who he is in anything but ANH and TCW.

Lets try this another way. This guy below doesn't look like a bad guy does he?

[​IMG]

Happy looking anime dude showing you a pic of his wife and daughter who he loves very much. Hes such a nice, funny, quirky guy. But that's a bad guy. Now anybody who knows who that is would think "Wait, what?". He was never even shown picking up a gun and shooting anybody. But he was still there in the field on the side conducting a genocide. He's just a peon and a cog. He's guilty. Bad. Evil. That won't change no matter how great a guy he is otherwise.

Looks shady to me actually. Look at those eyes. Its like I'm staring at an eagle that wants to fly over and peck my eyes out man. It makes me want to hide under my desk... if I actually had a computer desk that is. I'm shallow like that, sorry.

There is something about folks in fiction with mustaches actually and he's still got those eagle eyes. He would look cool with an eye patch now that you mention it. I've seen good guys twirl some mustaches. Atleast I think Jamie Hyneman is a good guy.

Merely something I want to see in the show. I want to see the Republic portrayed negatively and it would be best to do it with some familiar characters. I think Yularen is a good pick for this. Not fanon (Unless wishes are fanon?). Probably will never happen.

I see an old man sitting in his imperial chair on the Death Star. A super weapon with the power to blow a planet to meteor fragments. A super weapon that does just that. I'm not going to give someone the 'good guy' label for being a cog in the wheel, a morally bankrupt pawn in a grand scheme. I'm not going to call him okay. I'm not gonna say "Oh he's just caught up in this. Its not him." Not anymore than I'd call Hermann Göring or Gustav Simon passible guys under Hitler.To me, that's a bad guy even if he does take his grand kids to Toys 'R' Us everytime he goes on leave.

25. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I have no idea what you're referencing, so the reference didn't land with me.

But, it does point out your focus on how people look. If the way a person looks doesn't matter, why continue to point out looks.

The way you apply it to characters....yeah, it's fanon.

You don't know that he's morally bankrupt. Judging by his behavior in TCW, I'd say he's not. I think he thinks that serving honorably in the military makes him a decent or good man, or at least an honorable man.

I have no problem with people seeing Yularen in a very bad light for being involved with the Death Star, I just don't think it automatically makes him eeeeevil. There was probably a million people on the Death Star, were they all evil? I don't think there's only good guys and bad guys, with nothing in between. If that was the case, I'd say the vast majority of us are bad guys. Like, at least 90% of us.

Let me ask you this:

Are the clone troopers bad guys? They do commit cultural genocide, after all.

How about Rex, Fives and your other favorites? They're just pawns in Palpatine's plans, so they're the bad guys, right?

Are you gonna call them okay? Are you gonna say they're just caught up in this?

QuangoFett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.