main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG The officially unofficial social thread.

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Darth_Destructo, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Some of us are born to be good at Maths, the rest of us use calculators...
    Seriously, I just keep doing those sums and nothing gets any easier, I know that I should be doing better.
    My theory is that I'm so rusty that it's gonna take a while to losen those gears.

hazel, I just got an IMac. :D
    It's a purple monitor thingie that comes with a mouse, keyboard and a DVD that doesn't work...
    The mouse sucks, it only has one button!
    I can't play any of my games on it but it has a DVD-Rom drive and almost everything else is built in.
    My uncle gave it to me because he bought it for his office, but he can't figure out how to use it... :p
    (True story ;) )

So, what do I do next?

2. hazellukeyang

hazellukeyang Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    Wow, an iMac!!!

er, what will you do? A Mac is fun. It can do everything, it's a computer. You can do homework, graphic design, web design, video editing, play game...

I agree the iMac mouse sucks, it was designed for aliens I guess. Though I used this alien mouse more than two years. Now I am using the Apple Pro Mouse--it doesn't even have a button. Cool ah? See this is the typical Apple attitude: always be different, and REALLY different. Have you seen the latest iMac? It looks like a table lamp.

Bad news for Mac user is: it is more difficult to get softwares and games, and more expensive. Anything related to Mac is harder to get. Most of the dealers only deal with PC. I am planning to buy an iBook now but I have this broadband connection problem: Singnet doesn't support Mac, and they are cheaper than the other Broadband suppliers.

But a Mac is like a pet, not only a computer. Go and explore it. Use that alien mouse click anywhere you want. Go to www.apple.com and I like to share my Mac experience and softwares with you anytime.

Have fun.

3. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    hazel,

So I can buy a new mouse is it? I don't have to use the 'one-button monster' anymore?
    :p

What games do you know of that are avalible for Macs? I've checked all my game and they either say 'PC CD ROM' or 'WIN 95/98/200/ME', so I guess that rules them out. :(
    If I want to play games I have to buy dedicated Mac game software, right?

What about printers and external modems? I have those spare USB ports at the side of my monitor.

Last night, I watched a DVD Movie on my iMac, previously, I was unable to play that particular DVD on my DVD player. :D
    I'm so happy, my iMac can play anything!

Since I haven't learned how to use it it, right now I have a iMac dedicated DvD player in my room. :p

4. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    Actually, you can use anykind normal USB mouse. The Apple Pro Mouse is expensive, I won't recommend.

As for games, look out for those Basa Malang see whether you can find something. I will ask my friends and burn a few CDs for you. I don't play games. :)

You don't have to "learn" to use Mac. It is almost the same as Windows. BTW, do you know that the first windows interface actually appeared in Mac? Yes, that was Apple's idea.

Will you serf Net using Mac?

Try connect your printer into iMac, it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, which system you use? To find out, go to the top left corner of your desktop, click the small apple icon, choose "About this computer", then a page will appear, it shows your system version, it can be: Mac Os 8.6 or Mac Os 9.1.

Inside your hard disk there is a folder "system folder", all the important stuffs are there.

some useful websites:

www.apple.com ---official site

http://lowendmac.com/ ---anything about Mac

http://www.imgmagazine.com/ ---Inside Mac Game magazine

http://www.macaddict.com/ ---for Mac addict users

5. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    I've a PC at home. {happy}

:D

The only Macs that I've used are the school computers, and I don't like 'em. I'm used to Microsoft Windows. They're more user-friendly, IMHO.

5 - 0, 5 - 0, 3 - 2!!! Oh yeah!!! :D

= Clare =

6. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    I can't surf with the my iMac. [face_plain]

Anyway, I have OS 9.0, it says so when I start up my computer. So far so good, but it gets hot really fast and I get so worried that my comp is gonna explode. :p

Actually, all I want to do is be able to do some scanning and some Photoshop(Pleasee tell me that there is Photoshop for Apple, please!). Of course I must try some games, I mean, it's like having a car that you don't race... You know what I mean, right?

I'm actually very happy with my 'girlie purple' iMac. :D

7. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    Yeah, you "used to", that's the whole point. Any tools as long as you used to it, it is friendly. :)

8. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    DD, why can't you surf on iMac? did you connect to your phone line or whatever line?

Of course there is Photoshop Mac version.

No, it won't explore. don't worry. :)

9. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    hazel - You've a point. :D

Darth Destructo - ::puts on indignant face:: Excuuuuuuse me? Whaddya mean, 'girlie purple'?!

j/k. :D ;) :p

Me, I'd take the lime green one. Or maybe the orange one...I think there's an orange one. Is there?

= Clare =

10. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    I WANT AN iBOOK!!!

11. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    JediClare, everyone who has seen it calls it girlie purple... :p

12. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    ::Still has on indignant face:: And just how many people visit your house and gawk at your computer, mister?

:D ;) [face_mischief] :p

= Clare =

13. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Do I detect a trace of hostility? :p

I happen to like 'girlie purple'... ;)

14. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    ::peers into thread::

Hostility? Where? Where?

::Scratches head in confusion::

= Clare =

15. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Oh, my mistake then. [face_blush]

My DvD got jammed in my iMac last night and I almost had a heart attack!
    Lucky thing I managed to fish it out, with a piece of wire no less! :D

16. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    It got jammed in your 'girlie purple' iMac? :D ;) :p

So how's the disc? Stil 'watchable'?

= Clare =

17. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001

Yes, it's still 'watchable' in fact, it's never had better performance.
    My guess is that the disc was just too big for the slot, it was too tight a fit.
    Anyhow, everything has since worked out fine with no further complications. Perhaps in the future I should take steps to 'protect' my disc from scratches, maybe with some of that disc cleaning gel.
    [face_plain]

18. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Did anyone see 'Flatliners' last night(Sunday night movie)?

I really liked the way the director played with the lighting to give the whole movie a very dream-like quality.
    Brilliant use of sets and talented cinematography also helped to distract from the weak plot.
    I really enjoyed that show because it made me feel uneasy.

Somehow, Flatliners reminded me of another show called 'Dark City'. Maybe it was because Keiffer Suderland(sic) who played a deranged doctor in both shows. The use of lighting, particularly the green and orange hues really helped to abstract the city from reality. As in, we see a building, we know it's a building, but the use of lighting are unfamiliar, and thus our mind just barely accepts that what we are seeing is a building. The city itself, was a character in the movie. Every nook and cranny was alive.
    In the days of Black and White movies, Film Noir was perfected into an Art Form. The lack of colour didn't leave a talented director hands tied. An example of mordern Film Noir would be Avalon, imho.

I know that some people watch movies for the story-line, some for the action and special effects, and various other reasons. I watch movies for anyone of the above reasons, but I only truely enjoy movies that bring audiences to another world. I enjoy movies where the director twists and warps reality, to something I can barely grasp, yet is within my understanding.
    It's really similar to viewing a painting.
    It just speaks to you and invokes images that were previously lying dorment in your imagination.

Well, I could go on, but I want to know how you feel.
    Do you have any favorite directors, actors or genre?

19. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    >>"I really enjoyed that show because it made me feel uneasy."

This is really a different taste. :p But when I read your first paragraph it reminded of Dark City immediately. Then you mentioned it right after that. So more or less I know what you mean. I enjoyed "Dark City" as well--the dream like feeling with a plot that everyone can have their own explanation.

Have you seen "Being John Malkovich", that is a very weird one. But nice.

I can't watch horror movie, always have bad dreams after watching.

Other than that I enjoy almost every genre.
    Romance & Drama(As good as it gets, When Harry meet Sally), Action(Speed, Croughing Tiger), Comedy(Meet the parents)...

Most of all, Sci-fi and Fantasy are my favourate. My top ten list are full of them, Star Wars of course, The Matrix, Titan A.E.
    Close Encounter, The fifteh element, Final Fantasy,... the list can go on.

20. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen 'Being John Malkovich' yet. Was it ever released here :confused:

The director of 'Dark City', Alex Proyas, also did 'The Crow'(The one with the late Brendon Lee, RIP), also one of my all time favourite movies.
    He makes the cities the movies are filmed in surreal and hyper-real, he really has an eye for ambient shots and gothic architecture plays a supporting role in his films.

Sometimes, when I'm watching a particularly good film, I ask myself, "How did he get that shot? Would I have been able to do it? What made him do it like that?"
    It later donned on me that, what he was doing made sense to me, it appealed to me. Why else did he take that shot at that angle?
    Surely it had to look good or make sense to him, to do it. It sure as hell made sense to me. :D

So far, Mr. Proyas has only made two movies that I know off, 'Dark City' and 'The Crow', and those two movies are just so friggin' cool that my simple words fail to do him justice.

Ah, 'The Fifth Element'... ;)
    Another truely excellent film. Cinematically, of course, not plot wise... :p

21. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    For The Fifth Element plot was not the point. It was the strange way the director imaging the future, the wonderful sense of humour, the messy dusty heavily polluted future and the pretty red-hair alien that made it an amazing film. Even Chris Tucker wasn't so annoying. I hate him in Rush Hour, and they are making Rush Hour 3. :(

Sometime I ask myself: what kind of movie is my favourite? ok here is the answer: anything Mysterious. DD likes "uneasy" movie, I like "hard-to-understand" movie.

I am curious about the pictures or text that I don't understand. I have crush on actor who has deep mysterious eyes. I read difficult books again and again. I am as hopeless as DD in math but I actually read a book named "A Short History of Time" several times and still don't understand it. But it attracts me. Call me stupid. :)

Where am I now? Ah movies. Movies are the easiest way to get lost in another world. Have you watch a Japanese animation movie "Ghost in the Shell"? It surprised me bos finally I know where did The Matrix concept come from.

22. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Was it 'A brief history of time' by Dr. Stephen Hawkings?
    I read that... well, some of it, it's still in my toilet somewhere... ;)

Luc Besson directed 'The Fifth Element', he also directed, 'Leon', 'Taxi' and various French films.

23. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    Oops, yeah, "A Brief History of Time". I can only understand the first chapter. :)

Luc Besson also did "Kiss of Dragon", that one is bad. :p

which movie you hated the most?

24. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Dungeons and Dragons, that show sucked so much! Terrible, terrible movie...

*Shivers*

Brrr!

This year has been pretty good so far. :D

25. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    LOL. :D

Last year wasn't that bad indeed. I even enjoyed Tomb Raider. :)

A.I. and Final Fantasy were a bit boring, but the films themselves are above the average. Once again I lost in the boy's eyes. what's his name? Haley Joel Osment.

This year I am looking forward to watching Men in Black 2, though the trailer wasn't very good. Attack of Clones of course, and The Two Towers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.