Hawaii The Old Cinerama Theatre

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JayTee_Erricck, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayTee_Erricck Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have nothing against the neighboring islands, gang, so forgive me if this seems exclusively O'ahu-related but, does anyone else remember the old Cinerama Theatre? It was down the street from Washington Intermediate school, kinda on the entrance / exit of the Waikiki strip area. [Strip meaning roads, not nude bars, for the unawares!]

I bring this up because my childhood memories of Star Wars have strong ties to that now-gone theatre. Cinerama was where I saw A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back AND Return of the Jedi. I was 7 when Episode IV came out so my Dad left me behind at home when he took my older sister (then 11) to see it for his first time. My Dad & sister returned home that night to rave about the movie. I remember my sister saying something about "this big, hairy, gorilla looking monster (alien?) that can pull the arms off of robots". My Dad is just NOT the kind of guy to rave about movies so when he was going on about Star Wars, I was just totally hyped-up about this. I asked him to take me to see it &, to my amazement, my Dad told me he would. MY Dad go see a movie twice? Miracles do happen.

I got to see A New Hope there at Cinerama. Then saw Empire & Jedi there as well, both on their openning days in 1980 & 1983, respectively. I remember looking through the glass window of the display case at the pictures of scenes in Empire. I remember seeing a pic of Yoda & wondering what his character would be like & what he had to do with the film.

I remember having heard that Luke was going to meet a "Jedi Master". Little did I know that that rumor & the picture of the little green creature were, indeed, related.

It may be a strange thing to remember but I remember on the day I saw Empire for the first time, rain was POURING as I got out of the theatre. I remember feeling good that I had just seen ANOTHER great Star Wars film. Even the rain couldn't damper my spirits then. And I remember seeing a boy across the street lose his rubber slipper to the storm drains, carried away by the river of water. I remember the boy's Dad, picking him up & trying to console him. Sure, I felt bad for the kid but, even at 10 years old, I knew it was "just a slipper" & he'd get over it.

But I digress. Sadly enough, the Cinerama is now gone. Even though I've travelled some & have been away from O'ahu for just over a decade, I *was* here on O'ahu when the signs went up on their marquee "Cinerama is now closed" & "Thank you", etc., etc. I was extremely saddened at the sight of that. It seemed that an era was truly, finally coming to an end.

The Cinerama is, as most of you know, now a Checker's Auto Parts store. I have nothing against that company nor any of their stores but, somehow, it just doesn't do the memory justice.

I once joked with a friend of mine how I plan to someday walk into that store & look around, just to see if I can reclaim those memories, the magic of Star Wars, just by being in the same space, the same building again.

If anyone else out there has fond memories (epsecially Star Wars-related memories) of the Cinerama theatre, I hope you'll be willing to share them here.

May the Force be with us, always.

Jay Tee Erricck
  2. mac-nut Jedi Knight

star 5
    A long, long time ago, in a faraway place, are many memories, living in the hearts and minds of nostalgia...... welcome to real life. :D :D :D

yes, I remember Cinerama theater and when it used to be the Pawaa Theater prior to conversion to cinerama.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.