main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR The Old Republic "Hope" New Trailer !

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ToilesHeroiques, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    See, I didn't get that vibe at all. Also, remember this takes place 300 years after the first KotOR. There have been tech advancements since then. I also didn't see the Trooper as being a clone. Sure, he might look like Temuera Morrison but I didn't see it as being the same thing as the Clones from the PT. Nor do I think that just because the troopers use armor similar in aesthetic to those in use during the movie era to mean that all troopers have to look like that. I also think there's something to say about calling on the familiar to invoke the spirit of the original material.

2. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    I like how they look like Clone Troops, it helps show where the design of the Storm troopers and Clone Troopers come from in an "in-universe" perspective.

The armor and weapon design of the GAR and Imperial Military comes from the armor and weapon design of the Republic military during the Great Galactic War. Nice working of continuity if you ask me.

3. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    To be honest, I don't really care for the trooper armor. This is taking place how many thousand years prior to AOTC? And the structure of their armor is still fundamentally the same? Uh huh.

That's my only complaint, though. Man, what a trailer. What a trailer.

Bearing that in mind, I still prefer the Deceieved trailer. The narration, coupled with a few of those shots of the Temple, made it seem bit more engrossing and emotionally powerful to me.

Definitely.

4. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010

well look at the uniforms of the Republic in Kotor 1 and 2. It's pretty much the same as what the Rebels were wearing in Episode 4.

5. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    See, that's what I don't get though. Why tie the game to Knights of the Old Republic if almost all of the inspiration is being drawn from the OT?

So far the only connections I've made with KOTOR are the name drops of Revan and Bastila.

6. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Did anyone notice the female jedi in the trailer resembled Serra Keto, albeit with a blue double-bladed lightsaber instead of 2 individual green ones?

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wow, apparently you can stop a lightsaber blade using your hands....(and the Force).

8. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    SithLord of the Darkside - Yes, I did! There's a very close resemblance there! Am I to assume that she's of Bastila's family because she's a Jedi named Shan?

What's with the guy that looks like Revan?

9. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Not really. Look at this:

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080625021723/starwars/images/d/d3/Trask_ulgo.jpg] [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070822011828/starwars/images/8/88/Reptroops_anh.jpg]

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well if you had pulled up a picture of the Republic combat helmet, you'd definitely say it was copied straight from ANH =P

11. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    The helmets are similar, no denying that.

12. aesium

aesium Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2004
    The trailer was awesome until the Kamehameha.

13. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    ^ you realize Ki attack predate Dragonball Z, Its been in Kung fu flicks, anime, and even Lit for a very long time?

14. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I was just watching a Gameplay demo from G4 and the game looks a lot like KotOR.

I assume that's just the Sith Armor. Actually looked more like the Nazgul/Witch King.

Yes, this was covered in a number of EU stories.

15. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Well, thats because the game is being developed by the creators of KotOR.:p

16. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    How the heck did Malgus escape alive from a Republic-held planet and a beast Jedi???

Other than that, awesome trailer!!!

Troopers and Consulars are now on the "Awesome" side of the spectrum,IMAO.

17. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Of course. Which is a big draw to most gamers, especially me.

18. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    About the armor-it definitely is a nod to the clone and stormtrooper armor, especially the helmets. I did like the flip down visors and shoulder pauldrons are nice. It gave me a feeling of metal plate armor, even without the metallic look like the Sith armor.

Also, after re-watching the "Hope" trailer, the animators did an incredible job with all the little details, including the shroud on Malgus' saber or the etching on the Jedi's hilt.

Plus, the fact that a trooper can just run in and start tackling Sith warriors. :cool:

19. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Now I'm SERIOUSLY hoping Consulars can get some melee skill like that Jedi. Hoping for it not being necessarily something you need to do with a dual-blade, either...

What can I say? This trailer gives me a LOT of "Hope" for those of us who want melee-capable Consulars! :D

20. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    They NEED to make a TV show like this. If they did, it would be the best TV show ever.

21. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Indeed :D

22. Danaan

Danaan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2008
    I'll just go out on a limb and say that I didn't care much for the trailer at all. Just cuz I need to vent ;P

1) Is this really TOR? Looks like Clone Wars to me. I mean, the rip offs are everywhere: Clone Troopers (who even sorta have the same sounding voice), Droidekas, the TPM slice off of the double-bladed lightsabre and even another Boba Fett-spotting moment (that man is getting to be worse than Elvis). Where did the oringinality of KoToR go?

2) Not particularly pleased by the aesthetics of TOR. I mean, what's with the damn shoulder-pads? Does everybody have to look like they're a Quarterback? Get off the darn American Football field and into the GFFA already!

3) And all...the...dang...clichés....*sigh* seldom have so many been packed into such a short span of time: The main trooper protagonist doesn't wear a helmet - why? Because we're supposed to identify with him, and the cliche dramatic requirement stipulates that this requires us to see his face. In this case, that leads to a complete loss of suspension of disbelief for me. Anyone going into combat with blaster shots, bombds and lightsabers all over will probably want to wear a helmet. And the slow mo- of people being chopped down by the ebil Sith. Oh, the tragedy, oh the humanity. See how ebil they are *yawn* In that context, I was actually expecting the chick to show her mid-riff, but at least they didn't do that.

4) The shots of that Alderaan valley seems all screwed up- first there's a city there, then there's nothing there except troops, then there's a burning city there. Make ur mind up, pls...

5) What's with Jedi shooting blue force bolts? I guess they really have been converted into D&D sorcerers.

TOR seesm to be turning out to be least innovative and creative game Bioware has launched yet, instead of an interesting story we get heaps of stereotypes and cliches that look like they're ripped out of the Clone wars with added football shoulder pads. I disapprove.

But the graphics was excellent. And the choreography was superb, just like in the other trailer. I guess it just takes more than eyecandy to thrall me...*shrug*

Thus ends my rant.

*braces for all the tomatoes that'll be thrown my way*

23. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    I say we're getting stereotypes and cliches and an innovative storyline. The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    KotoR was not exactly innovative. It had an Empire with pointy ships, two key Sith running the show, masses of troopers in similar armour, a superweapon backing up the Empire and a revelation and redemption storyline.

In short, it's Episode IV, V and VI repeated.

This is just more... obvious about it. Star Wars is repetitive, at the end of the day - and that is not a bad thing. Traya and Vergere and Palpatine and Lumiya and Krayt, Revan and Anakin and Luke and Jacen and Cade... Sith Empire, Empire, Sith Empire... Empire, warlordism, unification, Sith Empire, Sith warlordism, Sith unification... Old Sith Wars, New Sith Wars, Imperial Sith Wars... Mandalorians, Neo Mandalorians, as opposed to True Mandalorians and Death Watch... I can continue, trust me - and I haven't mentioned ToR, yet!

25. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    This trailer,i think, is far better than the first. Although the key similarities between both of them though are the Sith Lord and his one-on-one fighting a Jedi - which i think is far more awesome. The fighting techniques he applies in both are just fantastic. Esp[ecially considering that he is fighting a female Jedi, who has a double-bladed lightsaber, against his own single-bladed saber, and he is only using one arm offensively. Talk about Skill.

Technically, that is a Force Wave. A giant ball of Force power.

This i can agree on. Something looking like this, Tv or Movie/Film, and it being Star Wars would attract me. This looks far better than Avatar, which i thought was **** (and please, i do not want to get into a discussion of Avatar vs Star Wars, just my personal opinion that this looks far better, being the star wars fanatic that i am).

Yes it is. It is the same Sith Lord. According to the Star Wars Databank and Wookiepedia anyway. He wears the mouthpeice in Deceived due to his injuries he received fighting on Alderaan.

I do think i have to agree with a majority of people here that this is taking place three thousand years earlier, and stillthe Republic troopers look so much like Clone Troopers.
    THen again, the EMpire seems to love Star Destroyer-esqe ships. But there really doesnt seem to be many advancements in technology or otherwise. Even with the Ruusan Reformation in 1000 BBY, it still looks pretty much the same.

ALthough i will admit, the SIth fighters look awesome.

EDIT- You can't use that word here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.