main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I was wondering if f2p players will have access to at least some of the new material that is coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

2. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    You probably download the patch when it goes live regardless if you haven't purchased, for the sake of class changes, bug fixes and whatnot.
    Though I imagine without buying the expansion, you wouldn't have access to Makeb, Levels 51-55, new flashpoints etc.

3. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Presumably they will, if they purchase it. Everyone has to purchase the expansion to get access to the major components (which is presumably Makeb, the new flashpoints and Ops, and any level 51+ content). I imagine the new flashpoints and operations will still be governed by the existing f2p rules for those elements.

4. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    So I've got a question. I've been a sub since the game came out but recently I cancelled it due to not having the time to play (other things taking greater priority). If from time to time I still want to play the game in f2p mode, how will I have access to my characters (I got 5)?

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I can still access all my old chars from the time when I was paying for it, so doesn't seem to be a problem.

6. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    You'll have preferred status. Which is basically sub without rest xp or operations

7. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Just a curious question, for those who play TOR, do you prefer playing male or female characters, or like both the same for different reasons?

Or does it depend on the class?

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think gender plays any role, besides the look of the character. Maybe with the flirting/romance options too.

9. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    One thing i don't understand about TOR, is that for some reason bioware made all classes to be able to get dark side corruption, even the classes that arn't force sensitive.

So perhaps if i ever play a non-force user class, and want to make said character evil, ill just turn dark side corruption off, so it makes more sense lore wise.

Anyone here who has played a dark character, who isn't force sensitive, done this?

10. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    For me, it doesn't really matter but I just play male characters. Ages ago though my friend who is a guy used to play another MMO where he played his character as a female one... and tended to get some male characters coming up to flirt with his female one.

Hmmm, for me I think the answer is no. I got a dark side Sith Inquisitor.. my Republic Trooper though I am playing as a real boy scout. I have seen some youtube videos though where some people have played a dark smuggler.

11. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I have made some Dark side decisions, but most of my characters arent evil enough to get all that much DS points. Definatly not enough to show corruption, I found the Darkside like the Closed Fist and Renegade reqires too much willing stupidity/thug mindset to achive any significat points in.

12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    My Biggest problem with Tor, is the community. Which is standard of all MMORPG communities, talk about selfish and self absorbed. And team work is just and alien to them in this game as it is in WOW. Which I havent played since cataclysim(Great game, horrid community).

you have self rezzing (10 tries if you are a free player), but people act crazy if you whipe. And most wipes are caused by the same thing, failure to communicate. One of the reason I enjoy GW2's community because if forces team work.

On the opposite hand their is a mob-it metality, that can be just as irritating.

TOR isnt as bad as "Tell you how to spec/know your roll, no freedom" WOW community but that is probably because you cant view peoples spec's.

13. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    3 more days till Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

14. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    Um, you actually can view people's spec in TOR (using the inspect function as long as your companion is dismissed), and the community is limited in that respect because the game itself is extremely structured spec-wise. In the endgame, and really in almost any flashpoint except Esseles/Black Talon while leveling, not knowing your role causes wipes, regardless of level or gear. Having spent a long time in the endgame playing the healer, and having to compensate for other people who don't know what they're doing, I understand the frustration. TOR has a something of a tanking problem, in that tanking effectively is probably the most challenging and least fulfilling role at the same time, so there are relatively few good tanks (in particular there's a surplus of assassin/shadow tanks who are really people who want to dps but choose tank as a way to jump the queue).

Admittedly, a lot of the frustration in TOR is caused by the clash of subscriber veterans with free-to-play new players. Until quite recently, the endgame was controlled by experienced subscribers and for just about all endgame content (except Denova, Astation, and Lost Island) everyone had done everything multiple times and knew the fights. The free-to-play influx filled the game with people who didn't know that and in many cases, didn't say so when they showed up in an instance. it's a vicious cycle - stigma against free-to-play leads to people hiding that they're new, which leads to wipes because people didn't say so, which leads to further resentment.

I've played some GW2 now and I don't find it forces teamwork at all. Perhaps it does with regard to endgame content like dungeons, but for ordinary leveling, 'teamwork' seems to translate into 'swarming' and in point of fact GW2's event system encourages poaching rather than any sort of concrete team-oriented activity.

15. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Is it possible for other players to see whether someone is f2p or subscribed, or even have preferred status other then simply asking someone and getting a truefull answer?

16. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Ahhh my companion is always out outside on Flashpoints.

As an Infiltration Shadow, yeah you can't tank Hardmodes without tank gear, and the tanking spec. the guys i was with wiped on Chasing the Shadow....yeah Something with another BH geared player I once 2 manned.

But try again? nope out of the question, everyone abandon ship. As a more experinced player I feel its a duty to help newbies through challanging content. But I am finding myself in a minority in game anyway

17. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Find out? Just ask. I have admited in game of switching to F2 play, But by that point I had 2 level 50's and just didn't spend enough time playing to warrent paying. Irritating that i have a 1,200,000 credits in escro but whatever, thats not particularly harsh.

18. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    While I've seen this, not with anywhere near the consistency you seem to. I don't leave in the middle of a flashpoint until it's clear the group is either incompetent or under-geared (which tend to go in tandem anyway). Part of the issue, I suspect is that ever since they started awarding the free tionese set at 50 there's almost nothing in the Hard mode FPs that should induce a wipe except a handful of the harder bosses. I mean, I was able to 3-man Kaon with a competent pair of DPS helpers using Qyzen as the tank, and yet some people can't manage easy flashpoints like Taral V or Battle of Ilum.

In part I blame the cartel market though - it made credits actually useful again (coupled with the crafting of dread guard level mods) and therefore dying actually means something now. Hopefully the expansion will change that, having the easiest way to get the best gear be to buy it is not conductive to a good community.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Since this is in the Lit board, is this the place to discuss the plot of TOR?

20. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    While playing the Sith Warrior storyline (and im not finished with it so please no spoilers here for those that did), it becomes more clear to me why the Rule of Two needed to be implanted. I have so far been fighting mostly other sith. With so many Sith, and not just many Sith apprentices but Sith Lords, it causes so much war within the Sith empire. Leading to Sith armies/groups fighting each other (since sith lords have so much control over ships/armies). I really think that if this Sith Empire was united, and not constantly fighting itself, it could have wiped out the old republic. Another problem i think with this Sith Empire is that Sith Lords/Masters can more then 1 apprentice at a time. Of course that could allow the weaker sith to gang up against the stronger sith, and only win because of numbers.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    GL has stated that Darth Bane created the Rule of Two to prevent Sith from ganging up on each other, and what you said seems to support GL's words.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    One good thing that would come out of Disney shutting down TOR is that the story would be wrapped up and connected to the New Sith Wars.

p.s. I wonder if Revan's genocide ends up succeeding.

darthzac14 likes this.
  23. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    The New Sith Wars don't happen for another 1,500 years after the Great Galactic War, and arise from a completely new schism in the Jedi. The presumed outcome of TOR is that the Sith are rendered nominally extinct and have no direct connection to the Sith that follow - though there will doubtless be influence via Force Spirits as usual.

Spoiler:
    No, it does not. The Revan plotline on the Republic side precedes that of the Imperial side. In the Imperial plotlineflashpoint The Foundry you defeat Revan and 'kill' him (his death is left deliberately ambiguous to placate the fanboys) and the Foundry falls into the hands of Darth Malgus.

24. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    It's been so long since I did the Republic bonus series on Hoth, that I completely forgot who the boss was for the last quest.

Brutann, apparently an honest-to-goodness Beast Lord of Onderon :D

25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Anyone feels Satele Shan wasn't handled well compare to many Sith characters?