main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Wait for the carbonite to wear off, man.

Zorrixor likes this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Try /stuck
    also this might help
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=593292

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have tried it, that was what I meant when I wrote '/stock' but misspelled

4. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    If you have a stronghold, you can try travelling there, there's no channel time on the travel so you should be able to do it even if you can't get qt or fleet pass to work.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    For now I only unlocked the first room because it's REALLY expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's beautiful but most of the decor don't fit well with the SH.

7. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    SOURCE:http://www.swtor.com/blog/brothers

Zer0, Revanfan1, Zorrixor and 2 others like this.
  8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    As much as I enjoy this, since I have always enjoyed the more experimental Star Wars stories that aren't pure repeats of the films, I gotta admit that it does all feel... risky, and I hope that gamble plays off well and isn't a flop.

Fortunately, most of the biggest Star Wars games have tended to be a bit different, like KOTOR or Jedi Knight, which did both do something a touch removed from the films, but... I dunno, Star Wars video games can be so weird, with the genuinely interesting ones bombing, and the cliched trash that usually pans somehow sometimes being huge... and this story is just feeling like it might turn out to be too left field for your average audience..

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  9. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Wait how is the new expansions (an evil Empire takes over the galaxy and you are the 'last hope for FREEDOM" etc) not a ripe off of the ot?

I really liked SWTOR because it did something new in Star Wars, a Cold War. But they lost that before the game even ended :(

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  10. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I think he means just how out of depth we will be. I mean the era has moved how many years? 50 I think someone can correct me. The world we know is gone and distorted and we have to pick up the pieces.
    That idea excites the toes off me. (I would be more excited though if I had the time to play the original game and the new expansion)

Speaking off which should I be worried about the original game being ruined and made redundant now?

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Also, the Sith Empire and Republic are... let's say highly derivative of the OT Empire and PT Republic in many ways. In contrast, the Eternal Empire - while it may still be an "evil empire" - looks to be considerably different.

Zorrixor likes this.
  12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I liked the short story, I usually enjoy these little insights into TOR. My impression seems to be that Thexan is the nicer of the brothers, or at least far less of a temper, though he'll be dead by the time KotFE starts, I hope to see more references to him.

I'm still ambivalent about the new story direction. On the one hand, I've always been annoyed with Bioware ripping off the prequels so much, but KotOR's story and some of their ship designs made up for it (the KotOR comic certainly helped me like this era a lot more). TOR from the beginning ripped off a lot more, and while the individual class stories were mostly good, the setting was still very... vague. The "great war" was years in the past, and by the time the class stories start, the cold war quickly heats up back into open war. Which is probably why I liked the Fatal Alliance novel, for giving a very decent look into the cold war era (and considering how early it was published before launch, the book still holds up pretty well, I think). Still not happy about the Sith Star Destroyer rip-offs and throwing around the term Imperial so much (yes, Imperial refers to subject of an empire, but many of the other Empires throughout EU history used terms other than just Imperial, since Imperial usually referred to OT era Empire).

On the other hand, it was interesting to see a full-scale war between the Galactic Republic and a Sith Empire. I still wish we could have seen more stories set during the earlier Great Galactic War or even during the launch game itself. Corellia's seizure by the Sith always seemed like a setting with a lot of potential for stories (the Corellian government sold out, but the Corellian population is very angry and very crazy).

The new Zakuul designs look nice so far, and if we get an epic story out of it, it will be worth it, but still regret that it'll take a time jump, but this is probably as close to a full rebuild of the game setting as possible. The launch game had a lot of potential, but they were probably too ambitious (story-wise and game mechanic/programming-wise), so I hope KotFE works out better, and serves as a better model for the future (with how they've talked about releasing chapters gradually over many months, sounds like they have a plan).

I like the current game somewhat, and Shadow of Revan was probably my favorite content outside of the class stories, mainly because it had decent pacing, quite a bit of foreshadowing, and relied heavily on KotOR nostalgia (and is a far better exit for Revan than as just a flashpoint boss), but they can't do that all the time. They're only doing a livestream for PAX, but they'll probably have a much bigger presentation for Gamescom next month, so here's hoping.

Darthmaul208 and Zorrixor like this.
  13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    That's what I was getting at, yeah.

I mean, when you think back, what was one of the main complaints most of us had with TOR? That the aesthetics were an OT rip-off, and many, many grumbled about why all the more original designs they used in KOTOR-- a mainstream blockbuster without relying on completely the same aesthetics-- were by and large discarded and not used.

Which is what makes the Eternal Empire curious, as it's much closer to KOTOR in being something that-- at least aesthetically-- just looks different. It's (predictable "Vitiate is the Emperor and its really his New Sith Empire!" twists aside), something that's on the face of things, and at least in the sales pitch, something quite removed from the films, and so not directly going to cash in on the advertising for Ep7 as this feels like a very different Star Wars story, and not just a direct Ep7 tie-in.

Now, that admittedly could be the reason they're doing this, as maybe they are trying to avoid kids buying TOR and thinking "Huh? I'm confused..." and so are spinning TOR off in its own direction specifically to avoid direct comparisons so that newbies and casual fans whose first Star Wars experience is Epsiode aren't completely blindsided when they start up TOR and realise it's not set during the films. But... it still interests me that they're suddenly confident again to do something different, when five years ago they chickened out of doing this for TOR at launch, even when so many people had wanted something that wasn't an OT rip-off with Stormtroopers and Star Destroyers.

The thing I hope is that if this is a sign that because of Episode 7 they have become more confident in the marketable of Star Wars video games, I hope the rest of the merchandise is also more creative and less generic than the endless Clone Wars and PT duds that we had for years (read: I want more Dark Forces and TIE Fighters again, and less Jedi Power Battles and Lethal Alliances).

Darthmaul208 and Nobody145 like this.
  14. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    It wasn't meant to be a rip off though, they used them as inspiration so it kind off backfired.
    I get the impression that I am the only person here who thinks it does have its own unique identity and aesthetic.
    I come to it from a different angle naturally.
    Didn't play KOTOR but remember my friend had it but his dad said it was too Adult so we couldn't play it, so already this is idolised by me in a way for being serious. The library had a graphic novel section that was too the back and dark and dingy, plus normally full of teenagers. I ventured in there one day and had look and was astounded by what I saw, can't really remember what I looked at but it definitely had an impact. A few years later I went On Holiday and Naturally I needed a magazine and brought the sw comic. It had the issue of KOTOR where Zayne Carrick is framed and the Republic issue where Order 66 occurs on Kashyyyk with the awesome Quinlan Vos. Again I was in over my head and amazed at the larger universe it presented. Wait there is more because at this point I knew the OT inside out and was slightly bored of it. A few years later we needed a magazine to analyse for English and I happened across sw Insider the ESB issue from CV and again I was struck that there was this whole community and deeper love for the films. The next few issues hooked me with TCW covers and they are still the best issues to me ( I think slowly it's gone down hill unfortunately). I was beginning to get into trying the Eu again so I went to the library that had changed and no longer had the dingyness, and picked up a Rogue One X wing comic. Again I was overwhelmed by it. I only got excited after the fact about Swtor. We heard rumblings about it and saw images of the jedi temple that just blew me away and then I saw the trailers and my excitement built up. My friend got the came and I went round to see it. He thought it was boring but it looked incredible with whole worlds to explore. I eventually got the game when it became free to play and just fell in love with it. I brought the lego, wanted most of the mechandise and played it every morning before school till eventually I hit road blocks in the game and time.

Oh right off topic. Sorry. So to me the game does have its own aesthetic and belonging. I never really saw it as a clear cut ripoff though we picked up on it. The smugglers mainly with that female han solo one and the han solo personality one.
    Oh and Lethal Alliance with Rianna Saren was a fun game. You can't trash it. Though I could never complete it.
    Rianna for Rebels!

15. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Apparently 4.0 have just hit PTS. IDK if its intended or not... but beware spoilers!

EDIT: People say that it might be a false alarm.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Or, spoil me silly.

Sent from the World

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I second what Sinrebirth said. I live for spoilers.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Spoilers?! Where?!

Though don't see it listed anywhere else so far (like dulfy). Is it too early for 4.0 to hit the PTS? I was expecting it more like September, then about a month of debugging. Though it wouldn't be the first time spoilers have leaked.

Kind of funny, 2.0 went up to 2.10 while we only reached 3.3 for this stage of the game. Oh well, I liked the 3.0 era well enough, but here's hoping 4.0 isn't too buggy when it launches.

19. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah spoilers

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Do you think the Dread Masters were well handled? Or it was too rushed to end them so soon?

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    My issue with the Dread Masters was the lack of a solo storyline conclusion. [face_plain]

It's great they fixed that when they made Shadows of Revan, but still wish they'd go back and make a solo version of the Dread Masters operation sometime... it'd mean omitting some of the bosses and mechanics, but whatever, I didn't like there being this big hole in the storyline when I played it and this big event just happened.

Heck, even just a questline without even doing the instance would have been nice, as I didn't like the way it just jumps from the Dread Masters content to.. whatever came next, Hutt Cartel I guess since I never did any of the other early operation patches. From memory, I think Darth Marr references the Dread Masters a bit at the start of Makeb, but... a throwaway line isn't what I wanted, I wanted a conclusion questline to play through with its own cinematic and ending, if that makes sense.

Basically like how even though its only the Jedi Knight that killed Vitiate, you still got this sense that the war had moved on when you played other classes, whereas if you don't do the Dread Fortress operation, you completely missed out on a whole part of the war, as a bunch of daily quests are not the same thing as a proper solo questline with an actual conclusion.

22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Brontes probably showed the most personality.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I would like to just objectively say–Ilum sucks. I'd rather just jump to Makeb and do the quests there to get to 55 than waste my time on Ilum. If the Ilum quests weren't stuck in my log, I'd just abandon them and be done with it. The enemies there are way too powerful for their level and the quests are headache-inducing levels of long, not to mention the whole planet finishes off with two flashpoints. It's just a pain, especially for a Sage or Marauder.

Oh, well. At least it's fairly short altogether.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    You know, thinking about this for a moment: if Valkorion is Vitiate, I actually kind of hope they don't play it as much of a twist at all. We've already seen them acknowledge fan speculation about a connection between the two emperors, and I recall seeing that one of the listed inspirations for the KOTFE story was Mass Effect 2 - where the fact that the "new" enemy was working for the Reapers was established relatively early on. So I'm actually wondering if they might introduce the idea, at least in speculation from the other characters, early in the plot rather than try to play it as a OMGWTFBBQ-twist even though most people wouldn't be that surprised by it.

25. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011