main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That is a truth which can only be described as sad, but tremendously accurate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    According to datamined info, there might be a brand new flashpoint (or other new content, which is not FP) called "the Star Fortress" (coming up with KoTFE), which seems to take place on multiple planets (the old ones like Tython, Belsavis etc.).

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    A Star Fortress connected to multiple worlds, you say? [face_mischief]

[​IMG]

Gamiel likes this.
  4. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011

What is it? Could you elaborate?

I think, it might be related to this:
    [​IMG]

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    A Kwa Star Temple, which has access to a hypergate which can destroy planets.

But it's likely what was leaked in the concept art instead, as you note.

If the Eternal Empire hits all the primary planets in the story, from Taris to Corellia to Hutta to Coruscant to Korriban to Belsavis to Hoth at once, then no surprises that the galaxy fell. That is the Nagai invasion with the muscle of the Yuuzhan Vong behind it...

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    So we have a fully mobile Not-Death-Star... looks likely, as it has all the makings of a stronger, faster, more threatening superweapon than the Star Forge was, which fits with both the BioWare and OT tropes of having a Death Star and then an even bigger Death Star II, so this sounds like an even bigger "Star Forge II" in essence.

7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Can't wait to see what that Star Fortress can do. I liked the concept art, posted today on their SWTOR facebook page, of Zakuul too:
    [​IMG]

I have not liked what SWTOR has done with capital ships among other things, but I am definitely liking the looks of this thus far.

8. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Anyone else think this looks like a metal geodude or Graveler?

Or is it just me

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Personally I thought it looked more like a Metagross, well, without the mustache.

I thought I heard somewhere they were getting rid of the space stations? Well, maybe on newer planets, as sometimes story cutscenes took place on the station. It would be nice to actually arrive on planet rather than have to run through a station every time.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Now I think Vitate just extended his body's life for a few centuries, he didn't really achieve immortality.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Had the Dread Masters already betray the Empire before the Emperor's defeat?

Their release on Belsavis happened a while before the JK ending, but we don't see them join the battle to aid the Empire on Corellia(which had 4-5 Dark Council members on the field) at all. They weren't mentioned at all until Denova, maybe "the Emperor's fall" was just an excuse, they already decided to betray the Empire after their release?

12. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    It came to my attention that a recently released Force and Destiny Core Rulebook for the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG mentions Barsen'thor in it. And how! Here's the full quote:

Not only does explicitly say "he" and "his", establishing him as male, it also retcons Barsen'thor as the nameless Jedi buried on Chandrila, whose tomb server as a level in the Jedi Academy game, the references the text uses are quite specific in it.

Obviously, Bioware doesn't have to acknowledge this in any way, and it's only "Legends" now in any case. Still, it's quite a nice bit of storytelling, weaving two famed, but unnamed Jedi together. This is just the kind of stuff Star Wars Expanded Universe was always famous for. After all, Jedi Exile was first established as a female in a non-fiction guide as well, and look where that got us in the game just a few years later.

This is just the stuff I always love SWEU for, and this is why I won't be touching the new "canon" with a 10-foot pole (no, not even the movie).

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I do not think this analogy means what you think it means.

Re: the Dread Masters...

I wonder. Given that we now know Vitiate had come to see the Sith Empire as being of secondary importance - if he hadn't done so right from the start - well before the Jedi Knight "killed" him, is it possible that he created them knowing all along that they would eventually go rogue and weaken both sides of the war, paving the way for the Zakuulian invasion? I've always been curious about what he meant to achieve through their creation, and I'm wondering if this might be part of the answer.

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He didn't create them, they gained their power through the Phobis Devices. It was Brontes' idea at first.

15. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I always got the sense he intended for it, though, given their unusual loyalty. I wouldn't be surprised if he created the devices.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't think they were that loyal, loyal is not a word to be used on Sith.

17. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I recall it being repeatedly emphasized in the dialogue (both from other characters and the Dread Masters themselves) that they were loyal only to the Emperor.

18. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011

Neat! I remember playing JA and enjoying Chandrila level.

What about other TOR or KoTOR related characters or events? Could you quote or post scans (or photos) of it here for us?

19. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Same here, but I need to see the movie just to know how bad it is. That said, I could probably just read the article on wikipedia once it's out...

I'm actually more interested for Knights of the Fallen Empire than I am for the Force Awakens.

Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Just assume it's all one universe and roll with whatever it changes?

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Oh, I've got to get my hands on the new FFG material someday, just for that alone. Though if there was still an old EU, I could see details about the Barsen'thor being vague enough that the gender or specific lightside/darkside decisions being different if necessary. Not that it matters much anymore. Though FFG also had that Ord Radama and Malgus statue too in an earlier supplement, but still, FFG's use of old canon is always nice.

I somewhat get the feeling the Sith Emperor just always had a lot of projects in progress over the centuries leading up to the Great Galactic War (the Dread Masters, the Children of the Emperor, the Hand, the Voice, etc.). When he nearly completed his ritual (whatever it was really meant to do) but was foiled by the Jedi Knight, he probably moved on to another plan. With the Emperor's "silence" for years, probably a lot of things were being run on autopilot or by the Dark Council in the Sith Emperor's name.

Just went through Ziost with my Inquisitor, and Vitiate basically outright said that the Dark Council can have the Sith Empire, he doesn't care anymore, it was a failure, so now Vitiate is working on his next/true plan. The Dread Masters turning against the Sith Empire I just took as typical Sith backstabbing. They might have been loyal to the Sith Emperor, but after they were released and saw the state of things, they probably decided to do their own thing.

Though I think I remember it being mentioned somewhere (the Gnost-Dural Journal with Satele Shan notes maybe) that when the Dread Masters were captured, them being several centuries old proved that at least some Sith had discovered the secret to immortality. Though its not really a new thing, considering Vitiate already achieved near god-like power after draining Nathema of all life.

And one more thing, not quite sure I'd call multiple Dark Council members being present during the battle for Corellia as a sign of how important a conflict that was, as many of them were more busy fighting each other rather than helping the war effort. The Imperial Agent story almost says that directly (Vowrawn, Baras and Thanaton are fighting each other rather than the Republic) and on Makeb Marr says internal strife is a major reason for the dire state of affairs.

Its kind of funny, but Marr actually seemed to prefer a Council rather than a supreme ruler. After Yavin IV, he says he and the Inquisitor are probably the only reliable ones among the Dark Council, and the Inquisitor can say that also means there's just Marr between the Inquisitor and the top of the hierarchy. Too bad there's still not enough time to settle things, with Vitiate on the loose and all. I am mostly looking forward to KotFE, although there will be a lot of things (MMO games and other media) going on in September and October and November.

22. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Yeah I think the Sith Empire went more 'Light Sith' as time went on, possibly subtly adopting ideas from the Revanites. It would explain why Vitiate just dumped them. After all, they no longer really had the drive to obliterate the Jedi and take over the Galaxy. They were content with the territory they had, pretty much.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I assumed Darth Marr became de facto Emperor what with him seemingly taking control of three Seats of the Dark Council as military leader.

24. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Frankly, it's hard to blame Vitiate for declaring the Sith Empire a failure. 1300 years of preparation and the best they can manage is a stalemate.

I wonder if we'll see some of the other surviving Dark Council members again in KOTFE. I'd like to see Darth Ravage return solely because of how hilarious his utterly unconcealed hatred for Thanaton was in the Inquisitor's endgame.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Even if you put these 3 away, there were another 3 of them directly commanding the battle. General Hesker also joined the war.