main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    AusStig Just to warn you, after 4.0 and KotFE, they took out a lot of gear out of the game.

Used to be some nice looking gear or even weapons dropped on planets, or as heroic rewards, or in flashpoints, etc. Almost all of that is gone. Doesn't help that level sync means you only get stuff at your level now, so not sure if that screwed up getting stronghold decorations on some planets too.

Also those orange gear vendors on fleet (who were useful from around lvl 25 until 50), they're all gone too. They brought back some gear with another vendor, but a lot is still missing.

A cynical/paranoid player would say its part of their push to get people to get their gear from the Cartel Market. For instance, instead of gear, now you can just buy armorings/mods/enhancements with your "data crystals". That's why all the quest rewards were changed to data crystal rewards, so its somewhat useful to choose what to put, but that requires players have empty gear shells first. And since companion stats don't matter anymore (though they should still hold a weapon at least), they don't bother with companion gear anymore.

I haven't bothered to start with a lvl 1 character, though I'll probably try this weekend, just to see how fast it can go with double XP. Also, I'm curious how much affection/influence I can get with a character if I start from lvl 1 all the way to lvl 50 and beyond.

2. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I'd recommend looking at the blue/green armour you pick up or on the GTN, that's what I use for a lot of my companions/outfit designer since stats don't matter. Most of the old appearances are still there, just maybe not the orange versions which don't really matter anyhow. Some of the colour schemes have been lost, though, but it usually doesn't take a lot of digging to find a piece I'm looking for and they're also way cheaper than orange stuff if you do have to buy it off someone.

3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    any reason why they souped up the companions?

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Probs due to wanting to keep them in the same outfits in kotfe.

Also A LOT people (myself included) only really used 1 or 2 characters for the game. So the rolls change is a welcome one.

RafSwi7 likes this.
  5. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    So that people could use the companion they want whenever they want as opposed to using the companion that suits the "role" they were originally built for.

In terms of the power-level boost, they just were making the game more solo-player-friendly all around along with the KotFE expansion (which is overwhelmingly single-player).

I get the impression that heroics and flashpoints weren't getting played as much, so they made them more easily "solo-able" between the level sync and the beefed up companions.

6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

Why though? Ugh. They give us the freedom to dress them how we want, then they take away the main we had of changing their looks :mad:

I was looking forward to that.

Also did they take away the bonus quests for Nar Shardar, Alderan, Hoth, Belsavis and Corellia?

7. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Bonus series are level 65 now for some reason, and a bunch are broken from what I've heard. Voss is definitely broken but I haven't tried the others.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

8. Thomo93

Thomo93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 27, 2015
    Love this game. Been playing it since launch :)

RafSwi7 and AusStig like this.
  9. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

Me too, it is a really fun game.

Just don't like some of the 4.0 changes and the bugs it has brought

RafSwi7 and Thomo93 like this.
  10. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    Some upcoming cartel armors,weapons and mounts.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee and MercenaryAce like this.
  11. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    Haha, I like the double-bladed lightsaber with the little side vents. We're getting into sword-chuck territory, where you're wielding a weapon that's destined to chop your own limbs off.

12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    So do those swords have a laser sight?

Darth Sophis and RafSwi7 like this.
  13. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    It would be nice to have crossguard lightsaber on my Sith Warrior. Shame that the GTN prices are ridiculously inflated right now.

BTW

I wonder, would you like the twist, where it turns out that player is somehow related to Valkorion (with player being directly or indirectly his "fourth child")?

Some datamined things.

I was looking into datamined files and found nice throwback to KoTOR in Rakata Prime FP (from clickable object/datapad).

Does anyone have played empire's side Corellia recently? I do not remember it but according to files there was a mission involving Revan's Cross of Glory.

It also seems that Evil!Revan collected his and Alek's lightsabers after the events on the Foundry. During the Temple of Sacrifice operation Revan is using the blades of Revan, Darth Revan, Alek and Darth Malak.

If I remember correctly no companion deaths or betreyals in upcoming chapter.
    Hah! How would that even help you in the fight?
    Yeah, I am also happy with this change. Now we can use the companion we like the most.

14. Thomo93

Thomo93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 27, 2015
    Yeah, people charge ridiculious amounts on the GTN sometimes. Like the decoration 'Throne Of Enlightenment' is usually up for sale for like 30 mil.. No one that I know of who plays the game has that much, like ever. lol

15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    What's the color difference between that Imperial Crimson crystal and red crystal?

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm guessing the Imperial Crimson will be similar to Darth Vader's red in the OT. So far we've had "Farmhand Blue" and "Desert Green," which have looked like Luke's ANH and ROTJ sabers, respectively. The vanilla red, blue, and green are very different and IMO look a bit more cartoon-y than the newer colors.

17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    So does anyone here remember the final Czerka quest on Tatooine? The one with the MASSIVE underground base, that took a while to walk though, full of enemies?

It is massive cut down now, you enter, go to the end of the first level then lift right to the end. GREAT change if you ask me, really made me happy since Tatooine was grinding on me by then.

So good change, I feel

18. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    4.0 has had a lot of interesting and nice changes. Still not sure it balances out everything bad that's changed, but I am happy with many of the new changes. I still remember on Coruscant one of the bonus quests required fighting this one boss- that was out in the open so anyone could attack it, and sometimes you had crowds of players just waiting for it to respawn. They eventually changed it so the boss would only show up after someone clicked an item, but its annoying that they didn't do that in the first place.

The Czerka bonus quest had something like that too, and fighting your way through a crowded underground base to get just enough bonus objectives was a huge, huge pain. So some of the quality of life improvements are very much appreciated. Just not quite loving KotFE's story. Its not bad, but its very different from what I expect of SWTOR even just two years ago.

Adjusting companions so they can do any role is really, really nice though. Can finally stop using some annoying healer companions.

So they finally have Kylo Ren's lightsaber. Just wait until three months from now when they'll release an Unstable Vented lightsaber. :p Odd that the dualsaber only has the crossguard on one side. You'd think both ends would have that crossguard. Not like size matter much, most dualsaber handles are huge. And its going to be at least 40m on the GTN, well, it might drop to 25m, but that's still a huge amount. At least that can be unlocked in collections, compared to Weapon Tuning.

I really wish they had double XP more often, it makes leveling so much more fun. Ran through half a dozen starter characters again this weekend for the heck of it, just to hear different dialogue choices, and so I could get speeder much, much earlier (I remember when you couldn't get it until lvl 25, and we had to walk up and down the Tatooine dessert both ways in the sandstorm... and we liked it that way :p ).

AusStig, Revanfan1 and Sinrebirth like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Really? Wow! I haven't done planetary quests in a while, but this kind of gives me incentive to.

20. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I've done all the planetary breadcrumb quests since 4.0 and they're mostly smoother/quicker. Lots of the out of the way objectives were moved closer and such. But note that imp side Taris broke the fun Thana mission where she makes a wager based on how many Cathar you kill- the bonus mission will not trigger, so you lose to her no matter what. I miss rubbing it in her face that I was better.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    The Rakata zombie one?
    That's nice.

AusStig likes this.
  22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

WHAT!!!

This is a disgrace :p

Though at this point I am surprised Thana hasn't shown up in Fallen Empire.

23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Considering you can kill Thana at the end of the Sith Taris planet quest, yeah, she's not going to show up again. I wouldn't have minded if she had shown up again, but any time there's an option to kill someone off, Bioware gets lazy after that and writes the character anyway even if they lived.

I wouldn't mind if they did bring her back, she was entertaining. "I can definitely win this fight!" *knocked out by a grenade* But she was so annoying most of my characters killed her off, even if some of them were light-sided. It'd be hilarious if she showed up as a zombie or as a companion or something like that, but I really doubt that.

A lot of old quests were messed up in the transition to 4.0 too. At least leveling up is much easier now, since level sync makes all heroics still worth doing for the exp and credits. The annoying thing is that many heroics are not meant for multiple people, or even multiple groups. Like "go click five of these items, when there are only six in the area!". You'd think they could at least increase the respawn time so it wouldn't be so bad, but that's a quality of life issue again.

I still somewhat fondly remember the Tatooine Czerka quest. I think Theron can even reference it in the lead-up to SoR (since that's the main Rakata appearance for most classes before Rakata Prime).

24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't get why it'd be so hard for them to do that. Like, if Koth leaves if you're dark-sided in Chapter 10, Theron or Tora take his place in cutscenes in Chapters 11-13. And we know Jorgan and Kaliyo will continue to have roles if you don't kill them despite possibly being killed off if you're dark-sided. And there's a brief cutscene at the end of Chapter 11 that changes based on whether or not you have Nico Okarr or not (no dialogue, but it changes nonetheless). And HK-51 and Treek appear (or not) at the end of Chapter 9 based only on whether you have them or not. So they've been doing things like this more often in KOTFE.

RafSwi7 likes this.
  25. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    The new chapter was fun, but IMHO not as good as the last 2 chapters. Still, great RC music, cutscenes, new implications about SCORPIO and GEMINI origins, "new" planet and mando parties.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AusStig and Rebecca_Daniels like this.