main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Pssh, yeah right. Dude's gonna get axed.

2. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002

I played all the content that was released when the expansion came out (first 6 or 7 chapters I believe?)

3. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011

It must have been 9 chapters. Well, we are currently waiting for the last chapter of the season 1 to be released August 11 (postponed from July 28).

Chapters you have not played yet:

CHAPTER 10: ANARCHY IN PARADISE

Firebrand is your latest ally and an infamous mercenary with a grudge against the Eternal Throne. Her mission is to destroy the Eternal Empire by attacking Zakuul and in the process crushing the seat of power, the Eternal Throne, by any means necessary.

CHAPTER 11: DISAVOWED
    Join forces with Major Aric Jorgan, the commander of the elite soldiers of Havoc Squad and the latest recruit to your Alliance. As the Outlander, you’ll battle alongside Jorgan in a deadly mission deep behind the enemy lines.

CHAPTER 12: VISIONS IN THE DARK

Face the immortal Emperor Valkorion in your most intense confrontation yet as your Alliance risks everything to strike a mortal blow against the Eternal Empire.

CHAPTER 13: PROFIT AND PLUNDER

Turn the tide against the Eternal Empire in a clandestine strike to plunder Arcann’s secret treasury – a heist for the ages. As you risk everything to cripple the Emperor’s military machine, you’ll need to partner with the galaxy’s greatest duo of thieves: Gault and Vette.

CHAPTER 14: MANDALORE'S REVENGE

Go on the offensive alongside a deadly force of ruthless warriors as you attempt to seize control of the most powerful fleet in the galaxy. Emperor Arcann has used the Eternal Fleet to oppress the galaxy for years, but it has one fatal flaw and now is the time to strike! The Outlander must travel to the remote planet of Darvannis to expose that weakness and turn Arcann's most powerful weapon against him. But it's going to take an army to do it! Shae Vizla, the infamous Bounty Hunter, now commands a powerful army of Mandalorian warriors capable of getting the job done… if they can be trusted.

CHAPTER 15: THE GEMINI DECEPTION

Prepare to lead your Alliance in the ultimate assault, to land what could be the fatal blow against the Eternal Empire! Armed with the secret weapon that could allow you to seize control of the unstoppable Eternal Fleet, the Outlander’s team must infiltrate a Zakuulan warship and face Arcann’s formidable force of elite fighters. But you’ve got one weapon he never expected: the mysterious and deadly artificial intelligence Droid, SCORPIO.

CHAPTER 16: THE BATTLE OF ODESSEN (to be released)

Face Arcann in deadly combat as he launches an all-out assault against the Alliance base on Odessen!

There were also some new "alliance alerts" missions which allow you to recruit Blizz, HK-55 (if you subscribed at a certain date), Ak'ghal Usar, Broonmark. Guss is incoming with the new chapter.

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

We never see nor hear of his excution, they may have cut a deal for info about the Emperor in exchange for him going into exile.

5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

It might be possible he's alive, but doubtful IMO.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I dunno... the fact that he isn't definitely killed no matter what you choose makes it possible for him to return, unlike many other characters. Even if it never actually happens, I'm not sure the writers would formally rule that out.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    Depends if they can afford the actor, too. But Jadus returning is definitely more likely than characters who have the option of being killed, and would be an amazing addition.

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

True. Maybe it's just that I never really got what everyone saw in him. It's like, yeah, he's a great villain, but why's everyone want him to return? And usually I'm all for great villains returning, but to me he was just kind of...there. I'd be okay with his return, of course. I'm just not pushing for it.

9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Because he was the only one who got some idea of the Emperor's doing during the class story ear. His seclusion makes more and more sense with the Eternal Empire's invasion now. And the involvement of the Agent companions, it would be very awesome to have him back.

AusStig and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    They just need to bring back class stories (realistically in SOR format). Just give us 1-2 class story missions to wrap up some stories and characters.

Darthmaul208 and AusStig like this.
  11. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

I would say the lack of quests is the main failing of KotFE. Makes it boring to replay

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I played JC through, I think the story is quite good despite obvious flaws, it gives you a lot ot freedom to make choices on people's fate and you way of dealing things. But unfortunately, the NPC don't react much on your dark choices. You could play a ruthless Knight Templar but the Jedi Council don't even care, at least in JK story they will bother a little bit if u go dark.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It does feel like the game integrates playing a light-sided Sith a lot better than it does a dark-sided Jedi. (Non-FS characters seem pretty good either way).

14. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    RafSwi7 likes this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Was Valkorion a result of Revan's influence?

The whole Zakuul idea, the "beyong dark and light", and the "more peaceful method to rule the galaxy", could it be Revan's influence? Just like Revan back being Darth Revan in SoR. They affected each other with their ideas.

RafSwi7 and AusStig like this.
  16. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011

That is my theory as well. If I remember correctly Revan has said that he tempered Vitiate's hate. It seems reasonable to assume that they both influenced each other.

Maybe Revan will appear in KoTET and the thing is going to be revealed. I would like to see some interaction between him and Valkorion or Scourge.

BTW Has anybody tried to ask Choza Rabbat about what happened to Scourge?

AusStig likes this.
  17. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    if i remember correctly the devs said their will be no more revan in the game after sor. but its hard to know where they are going with the valk/vitiate character since its a different writer and all the ret con's done to the story. the way it looks now is that valk's was letting revan think that was the case when really he was building two empires one to weaken the republic and the other to destroy them and the sith.

18. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Another post on the cut content for Chapter 4 got me an excuse to dig through game files some more, here's some new (for me) interesting things that I found:
    • Knight was working alongside Republic Protectors on Bothawui. Tefani from a Makeb quest was making an appearance there. Agent Galen reappeared on Sleheyron.
    • Agent was working with either Ardun Kothe or Shara Jenn (Watcher 2). A new Intelligence rank - Observer - was introduced.
    • Jet Nebula from Fatal Alliance novel appeared during Bounty Hunter Storyline.
    • Darth Marr and Satele Shan made appearanced in several classes' stories.
    • Inquisitor met with the Dark Council, with all then-alive members present. Darth Soverus (from Korriban flashpoint) originated there. Moff Pyron was also involved.
    • Master Gnost-Dural actually made an appearance, albeit in a holo.
    • Besides Servants One and Two, other Servants from 3 to 10 appeared in the Warrior story.
    • Ava Jaxo reappered in the Trooper storyline.
    • Lord Thos (end of Belsavis class story) appeared on Ziost during Bounty Hunter storyline.
    • Smuggler was continuing the work for Chancellor Saresh, with Risha's friends Beryl Thorne, Sumalee and Shariss Cartur returning.
    And here's a romance conversation between male Smuggler and Jedi Master Sumalee:

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

...why? Why didn't they do these things?

20. Malachi108

Aug 8, 2009
    There is a new thread on reddit about "Why?"

The answer is lack of resources. The game faced big financial problems in the first year after launch. Many anti-frustration features taken for granted now did not exist yet and the content at level cap of 50 was rather scarce, so people dropped subs after finishing one or two of the class stories. But most importantly, the subsciption model common for MMOs back when began development was already obsolete when the game launched, with not just MMOs, but almost all games moving to microtransactions model.

It is evident they had post-launch content planned in advance (Chapter 4, Section X, Makeb, CZ-198 etc), but declining subs forced them to change the game model to F2P with a cash shop and gambling packs on the fly and do server merges and quality of life updates to keep existing playerbase. That was not the plan when they launched, so they had to take the developer focus from something else to do it, and fast - if not for F2P, the game might not have survived its second year. Meanwhile, the team's manpower was slashes after the release (which is normal for game devs), so suddenly class stories became way too much of an investment.

Take 4 quests per class per planet (and they originally planned FIVE planets for the 1st expansion: Bothawui, Sleheyron, Makeb, Yavin 4 and Ziost) plus the interrim stuff and it's more resources than all regular quests on the planets combined by a lage margin, with little replay value for a single player. With no man-resources to actually program class stories in (few characters are modeled and only a few dialogues remain in place), they choose to focus on Makeb, which was in the most completed state and finish its two planetary stories for their first expansion.

After Cartel Market put them back on track financially, the story focus was already on the new Dread Master storyline. Plus, some of the writers left and they simply moved forward, abandoing planned Chapter 4 content, while slowly reusing models, textures, locations and characters that were completed by then.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  21. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

Do you have the rest of the info, or a place to find it, all laid out nicely. Because this looks MUCH better than what we ended up with (eternal empire, all the other stuff). I would have paid good money to get this

22. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    makes me want to re roll my smuggler actually loved the fact that risha would react to you flirting with others and characters noticing you are with her.

AusStig likes this.
  23. Malachi108

Aug 8, 2009

The current database can be viewed on jedipedia and TorCommunity. The fist one is better for viewing NPC models hierarchy, the second one has conversation texts, quest rewards and companiof affection gains.

They laso cross-link to each other on most pages, so between them it's easy to navigate the game assets.

24. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

OK interesting. It LOOKS like a much more 'natural' continuation of the pre-release info, Yavin being full of force ghosts, Ziost as the 'Gateway to the Empire and Bothawui.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Thank you for posting that information on what might have been. Not too surprising, its been obvious for a long time that Bioware overreached with the eight class stories. They're the best part of the game, but simply not worth the cost, especially of an MMO in this day and age.

Although the illusion of choice is common in many of Bioware's games for the last decade or so, Mass Effect had a lot of the same problem, though not quite to this extent (being only a game compared to an MMO desperate for money). Like how if you have a choice to kill someone, usually the main difference is what post-mission email you get later, then never hear from that character again. The class stories occasionally had dead characters show up again, but those were rare exceptions.

Makeb at least had different Republic and Sith side stories. Up to Ziost there were still some differences depending on which side you started with (though not which class). With KotFE though... yeah, its been kind of downhill. KotFE was kind of a soft reboot. The class missions on Rishi were probably the last glimpse of the original class stories. Like exactly how many people the smuggler could hook up with. :p Doesn't help that the devs have been pretty quiet this year, with most of the focus on KotFE, and that's really not that much.