main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I'd recommend doing up to kotfe on at least one pub character too, Makeb in particular is quite different.

AusStig and Taalcon like this.
  2. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Trying to recruit former companions is tuff, I've got to do 20 war zone matches just to get the impearl major. do theses guys change the story in any way? and what about the star fortress any point in doing those? I've done the first one.

3. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    no the companions you get through alerts have no affect on the story. star fortresses give you more companions

PimpBacca likes this.
  4. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

Non elite enemies, i.e., the stormtrooper/battledroid stand ins you fight can be killed with one or two hits. Bosses are standard RPG "grind them down and use your abilities". I actually found the combat to be pretty fun, when it's balanced properly.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That said, the combat animations don't involve you hacking enemies into bits, if that's what you're looking for. (KOTFE skytroopers sometimes explode, but that seems random).

Edit: Didn't see this was going from TOR to KOTOR instead of the other way around - but the same point holds true, although there's slightly more variety.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, the boss fights aren't the epic stylish combat in the movies. You'll be chucking grenades and planting mines while fighting Malak, if you're smart.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    To be fair, I kind of enjoyed that about KOTOR combat.

As we all know, the best way to fight a Dark Lord of the Sith is with a massive amount of combat adrenals and war stims!

Also, plasma mines.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Partly (I find it frustrating that wild boar sized animals don't get sliced and diced by my lightsabre) but I was also looking for the ability to parry blasterbolts (I really want a skill tree in TOR that allows me to just stand there and make the enemy kill himself by deflecting everything he shots at me)

9. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    You get that, it doesn't work on high health enemies. But you can totally jump into a group of blaster uses, hit the Reflect power. And watch pretty much the entire mob melt away.

Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I remember when the game came out. I read all the comics, I bought the visual guide; I've wanted to play it for years. Until now I haven't had a PC. I only just got one, and I stated playing yesterday. I have to say I love it. So much fun. I'm playing a Republic Trooper, currently Lev. 7. It feels like a RepCom RPG. When the officer said "I think we just lost Havoc Squad", I couldn't help but think, "I think we just lost Delta Squad", something the Advisor says in RepCom. I'm about to go find out what happened to Havoc/Take out the ZRwhatever bomb.

11. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    So I'm almost done with KOTET, and I have to say Iokath is probably the coolest looking plant in star wars, I also got 2001 a space odyssey vibes from some of the red eye droids.

[​IMG]

AusStig likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Too bad that stupid droid had ruined everything there.

13. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    I get the impression we will be returning in whatever comes next.
    Not sure if my image showed up last time or if it was removed
    [​IMG]

14. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Are we even getting more story content?

15. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't think we're supposed to, I could be wrong though.

16. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I think we are, we still have more companions to get back (most of the best ones!)

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    LOTRO has been running since 2007, and it's just now about to get to Mordor. The playable area that you can actually walk around in is the total size of France, if you character was the size of a real-life person. And they plan on keep expanding it.

SWTOR could go on for a while.

Revanfan1 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  18. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011

We are, but most probably we will have to wait till November or December to be able to play next expansion. They have already alluded to some mysterious new threat in Uprising missions

19. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I figure until we hear there's no story writers on staff, we'll get at least a bit more story

20. Darth Sophis

Darth Sophis Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    I am not entirely sure as to why, but a funny thought struck me regarding the post-Ziost storyline. What if the player character never actually makes it off Ziost, but is instead consumed by Vitiate and simply reliving different versions of their life as a simulated experience trapped in his spirit?

(Slighlty) more seriously, what if a similar proposition was applied to the KotET ending? Vitiate's defeat being an obfuscation would be quite a twist, explaining the seemingly easy and cliched way in which it happened. There would be no outwardly perceptible difference in the Outlander's behaviour, in fact, had the possession been successful.

Not a theory really, and zero belief in it myself, but an interesting mixture of the ME3 indoctrination theory and A Colder War's ending nonetheless. :p

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    That would be too much Darth Sophis. Still, it seems that Valkorion knew something is coming ("Remember me when your Alliance burns to ash").

Some spoilers from the upcoming uprisings:

Alliance Intelligence Report: A Common Thread
    Alliance Intelligence has confirmed that a single person or group was behind the recent spate of uprisings. These findings are based on months of comprehensive research--as well as numerous common threads that link the events, including but not limited to: - Anti-Alliance hatred fueled by manufactured propaganda. - Funding by several front companies originating in the Outer Rim. - Connections to various deceased persons of note. - Transmissions via a unique encrypted algorithm. - Presence and usage of rare cybernetic implants at each uprising site. This evidence directly connects the uprisings to a single conspirator. Their motives remain unknown, but they likely acted to destabilize galactic peace and weaken the Eternal Alliance. The scope and breadth of such a conspiracy speaks to an individual or group with substantial funding and expertise in the art of subterfuge and manipulation. Alliance agents are currently investigating all possible perpetrators, including Sith Intelligence, the Republic SIS, and the Star Cabal. This conspirator cannot hide forever.
    Alliance Intelligent Report: Commander Tassar
    Subject: Commander Tassar Status: Terminated Battalion Commander Tassar was the foremost architect of the Star Fortress program, employing her combination of scientific genius and strategic expertise in subjugating the larger portion of the Core Worlds for nearly half a decade. Of course, as our Alliance has proven, even the most brilliant designs can be compromised, and Tassar's esteem among the Zakuulan elite fell along with her battle stations. Tassar chose exile rather than face the direct judgment of her Eternal Empress, and was joined by her most loyal troops. A cult of personality formed around her, with her followers becoming increasingly zealous in their beliefs that Tassar was the one true hope for Zakuul's future. It's unclear if Tassar herself shared in this belief or merely exploited it to continue the work that had become her sole fixation: shoring up her Star Fortress designs to be completely indestructible. If her work had been completed, the integration of Rakatan self-repairing technology would have made Tassar's new Star Fortress truly formidable. Most of Tassar's data was destroyed, but our agents did discover one point of interest: Tassar's discovery of Rakata Prime and its technologies appears to have resulted from the interception of one of our own transports, which was carrying samples to Doctor Oggurobb for study. Investigation of that incident will be expanded immediately.
    Alliance Intelligence Report: General Amos Rike
    Subject: Denova Baradium Mines Status: Secure With General Rike's forces defeated, the baradium mines of Denova are now under Alliance control; an odd twist of fate, given that we had no plans to claim the mines until Rike seized them to use against us. Although our forces can certainly make use of the explosive material, holding and defending the mines from here on will be an appreciable (if manageable) drain on Alliance resources overall. Rike had a history of exceeding orders in order to fulfill what he viewed as his duty to the Republic, so this action is hardly out of character. That he was able to move such a large force into position without challenge suggests strongly that there are further anti-Alliance conspirators within the Republic military; our agents are sifting through Rike's datafiles now to identify as many suspects as possible. Further details will be forwarded to you upon the conclusion of this investigation.
    Alliance Intelligence Report: Gethul
    Subject: Gethul Entity Status: Terminated (full autopsy pending) Doctor Oggurobb's investigations are ongoing, but initial findings revealed that the Gethul entity contained genetic markers from dozens of species, including dianoga, rathtars, and surprisingly, Rakata. This is particularly interesting as certain particulate matter found deep within the entity's digestive tract is found only on the planet Belsavis, suggesting that the creature originated there and was at some point moved to Makeb, perhaps by the same Rakatans who constructed the Belsavis containment facilities. The entity's mental connection to Adelade and its sway over other biological creatures suggests some degree of Force sensitivity, further deepening the mystery of its origins and life cycle. Is this creature representative of an undiscovered species, or merely a unique creation of ancient Rakatan scientists? While we search for answers, one troubling mystery remains. Adelade found the entity based on intel she received from an unidentified third party. This source sent her precise coordinates--and the claim that she would discover one of the Force's greatest mysteries buried beneath Makeb. Who sent her this intel? If it was a friend, why cover their tracks? If an enemy, what did they hope to accomplish by luring Adelade into the heart of madness? We will continue to investigate.
    Alliance Intelligence Report: RS-33 Adrenal
    Subject: RS-33 Adrenal Status: Contained The RS-33 adrenal and its progenitor, the RAK-5 serum, have been contained and the research destroyed. Doctor Semhess's dangerous project is no longer a threat. Investigations into the project's origins and principal contributors are now underway. One notable early discovery relates to Doctor Rahser Poth, the expert who supposedly developed the RAK-5 serum. We've learned that his research was aided by an anonymous scientist. Their communications were encrypted, but we're piecing together what we've been able to recover--and it appears that this unknown scientist fed Doctor Poth the majority of the information that led to the RAK-5 breakthrough. Efforts to ID this scientist have turned up no results so far. Also of note is funding for the project, which was falsely obtained through a Republic endowment for disease research and treatment development. A staggering amount of data was altered to facilitate this, requiring slicing skills that no one among Semhess's staff seem to have possessed. Agents will continue analyzing the falsified data to find clues as to its origin and thus identify the additional conspirator(s).
    Alliance Intelligence Report: Attack on the Senate Tower
    Subject: Plot to Attack Senate Tower Status: Thwarted Investigations into the origins of Commander Kallin's plot are ongoing. After tracing the source of the explosives, we have ruled out that they were stolen from evidence lockups or purchased from any local criminal groups. Kallin's connections to former Chancellor Saresh are well documented, so it seems likely that he may have acquired the explosives through a mutual underworld contact. The slicing expertise necessary to gather so many combat droids is another point of concern. The methodology employed seems to match SIS techniques; these skills may have been acquired from another mutual contact with Saresh, though she was never particularly popular within that agency. Regardless, perhaps the most troubling aspect of the situation was its complexity and sophistication. Kallin has never been noted as a particularly surreptitious individual, preferring brute force tactics in most of his recorded operations. His psychological profile does not seem to match a false flag operation of this kind.

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well isn't this deeply curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I imagine it will go on to 2020 when EA loses their license.

24. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011

Actually, the license will go on to 2023.

25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Good for them!