main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Kyle K

Kyle K Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 5, 2017
    Theron outfit looks promising but what about Lana Arcann Koth and Senya?

Then 5.3 might be released in july. Hopefully when it is my birthday 13th july.

And hopefully more returning companions. There are rumors to have Felix back and possible Mako or Raina. It is now time for JC to have more companions back than just Qyzen.

Zenith are in a alliance alert but it is not available.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Theron is easier because he's built off a standard body model: he's a male BT2. Arcann, Koth, Lana, and Senya (along with Valkorian and Vaylin) are all unique models with their clothes built on. That's the problem, and it's why they can't have separate outfits. Lana's old Shadows of Revan model was an old model, too, seeing as she wore a disguise on Rishi. But when they switched her model in KOTFE they totally built a new one, with the clothes modeled on. I saw someone make the comparison that the old models are like dolls: designed as "naked" models that the clothes can be fitted over. The newer models are like action figures: built as one complete piece.

3. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    We will see roadmap this month. Hopefuly we will learn something more about upcoming updates.

Yeah, it seems that it will be Vaylin's Penthouse from KotET.

Correct. Still, I wonder how hard it would be to simply smash their heads into standard body models.

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I guess its... good that they didn't change Theron's model then? Lana is their favorite after all, since she's closest to main character after the Outlander. Actually, she's even more central than they are in some ways, since she sets up everything.

I can understand keeping Valkorion's model and clothes unique, but seems like they went to too much trouble, even if the new models do look a bit better than the original. I always thought you couldn't change it so that they could sell different outfits on the Cartel Market later. I miss the old days when we could dress our companions up as we wished.

Actually, I wish there was a way to edit our companion list. That list is still way too long after KotFE and all the useless companions that offered (Star Fortress in particular). Can't even send most of them on gathering missions.

It would be nice to have more Consular companions back, but Bioware doesn't really care about Republic side much. I haven't played Iokath, but even this mostly pro-SWTOR column I read had issues with the characterization. That the Republic representative didn't sound like himself, apparently having almost exactly the same lines as the Sith one? Something like that. Funny to say this, but I kind of miss Makeb, at least back then Republic and Sith had entirely different storylines. Shadow of Revan was the beginning of the end.

Though if I had more free time and if they hadn't messed up gearing so badly, I might still be subscribed right now. I am curious about their roadmap. New person in charge and all, so maybe it'll be good for the game, but after how big a change KotFE and KotET were, I'm not optimistic.

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I dunno, the Sith character only sounds like "himself" if he's a Lightsider.

So you could say the Republic and Sith character have both evolved into a hero.

6. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Road Map 2017

Hi everyone,

Our Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Team has been very busy reviewing all the areas of the game and has built a vision that we are eager to share with you in this Roadmap. We gathered suggestions directly from our players and influencers, gained insights from comments on our forums and those of our fan sites, and received lots of feedback from conversations at our Cantina events!

This SWTOR Roadmap offers insight into our direction for the game starting with our 'Summer of SWTOR' activities beginning June 13, 2017. Plus, the Roadmap covers all our plans including what areas of the game we are focusing on, areas targeted for quality of life improvements, and plans for overall gameplay changes.

I have included a section about Communication and how we plan to keep you informed throughout the year. We will unquestionably keep some things out of the spotlight and we may not go into great depth about a change until we are ready to discuss it, but I’m hopeful you’ll enjoy our increased communication.

So, what’s next and what can you expect from SWTOR in the coming months? Where are we headed longer term, and how do we address the myriad of questions everyone wants answered?

GAMEPLAY DIRECTION

We have been saying for a while now our focus this year is to return to massively multiplayer and group-based content. Since the launch of Knights of the Eternal Throne (KOTET) we have already delivered a new daily area, a new Operation Boss (Tyth, the God of Rage), and the return of two companions. Our focus on gameplay improvements will continue throughout this year and will include revisiting existing game systems to provide enhancements where needed whenever possible.

OPERATIONS

It’s been far too long since we provided you with extremely challenging multi-player activities. We all know our Operations (8 to 16-player PvE boss fights) are a favorite pastime for Guilds, are the fastest way to gear up, and when done properly, cause all of us to keep showing up every week until we can place that Boss on farm status!

Delivering an Operation is a fundamental change in our direction this year and our plan is to provide you with a new Boss encounter every few months. By doing it this way, we can deliver high quality, challenging Boss fights much faster than making you wait until the end of the year or for an expansion.

Some of you are already fighting Esne and Aivela on our Public Test Server (PTS) and the feedback has really been excellent. We’re looking forward to July when you can fight these two sisters.

We’ve already changed how our level or ‘Tier’ gear drops in Operations, now we’ll be adding a platinum quality item you can earn from defeating certain bosses in Veteran and Master modes (our two more challenging modes vs. Story mode). In an upcoming post, we’ll let you know which bosses drop rewards and what items you will have a chance to earn.

PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER (PVP)

We introduced two new PvP Warzones last year and plan to continue improving PvP by adding fun activities throughout the year. Season 8, our current season in progress, is slated to end in August in conjunction with Crisis on Umbara (Game Update 5.4) - we’re finalizing all the rewards now. We’ll provide an update on all the rewards in an upcoming forum post.

We know Class balance is a hot topic for our PvP community and the Combat team is hard at work building a plan for future balance changes. We will begin rolling out the changes with Sisters of Carnage (Game Update 5.3) in July and will continue monthly updates until we’re satisfied with all the adjustments. I’m confident you’ll let us know your opinions after each update, too.

We are reviewing ways to improve use of your wide range of characters, and one of our top priorities is to make Unassembled Components a Legacy currency. This allows you to play with any of your alternate characters while gaining benefits across your entire Legacy.

The remainder of the year includes a new Warzone, Galactic Starfighter (our space PvP gameplay expansion) changes, changes to Ranked PvP, earlier notification of Season 9 rewards, and continued review/adjustment of class balances.

STORY AND COMPANIONS

We will continue moving the story forward after the events on Iokath. As we announced at our recent Cantina in Orlando during Star Wars™ Celebration 2017, the next major story update is coming in August with Crisis on Umbara featuring an exciting new Flashpoint on the shadowy planet. We won’t give you spoilers about this new area, but we’ll reveal more as we get closer to general release.

We know bringing back your old Companions is extremely important so expect to see more of them returning throughout the year. Additionally, as we release updates over the summer, you’ll be able to customize some of your favorite companions, including Theron, Lana, Shae, Koth, and Senya! In addition, we’ll review and adjust which companions you received through Alliance Alerts.

We will continue to provide regular improvements for companions this year to enable you to increase their influence by doing in-game tasks you typically do when you play. Companions remain an important part of SWTOR and we look forward to introducing improved ways for you to engage with them.

In addition, based on the feedback we received about Iokath, we are exploring options for new Daily areas, adding or updating events, and offering special rewards for a variety of in-game activities.

QUALITY OF LIFE

Quality of Life (QoL) is a term regularly used to reference improvements we make to improve your gameplay experience. QoL improvements include fixing long standing bugs, changes to existing game systems, improvements to the User Interface, simplifying ways to do things in-game, increasing the speed of mounts, adding Legacy Perks, and more.

We will regularly look to offer more customization improvements such as adding Weapon Tuning enhancements to player collections, and we will continue to seek your feedback on other customization options you would like to see!

SUMMER OF SWTOR

The following is our planned Summer of SWTOR 2017 Game Updates along with highlights of what is included with each release:

NAR SHADDAA SUMMER - GAME UPDATE 5.2.2 – JUNE 13TH
    • The return of the Nar Shaddaa Nightlife event with all new rewards, including a new Gamorrean Companion!
    • Starfighter Improvements – Increased Requisition gains, Gunship and Bomber available by default, some new ship customization options
    • Companion Influence earned from Crew Skill Missions
    • Command Experience Legacy Perk for alts. Once one of your character reaches Command Rank 300, you can acquire a new Legacy Perk to increase CXP gains on all your other characters
    • The ability to craft Tier 4 armor is now available
    • Both Theron Shan and Shae Vizla’s appearances can now be customized
    • New Legacy Perks: Mount Speed 4 & 5 (120% & 130% increased movement speed)
    • Tier 1 gear can now be purchased for Command Tokens
    SISTERS OF CARNAGE - GAME UPDATE 5.3 – JULY
    • Gods from the Machine’s second encounter Aivela and Esne in Story and Veteran Mode
    • A brand-new Stronghold with a great view of the Ocean
    • The ability to search for Stronghold Decorations using new filters
    • The start of Class balance changes for the following:
      • Sorcerer/Sage
      • Powertech / Vanguard
      • Assassin / Shadow
      • Sniper / Gunslinger
      • Mercenary / Commando
      • Operative / Scoundrel
    • Appearances for additional companions can now be customized
    CRISIS ON UMBARA - GAME UPDATE 5.4 – AUGUST
    • The story will continue in a new Flashpoint: Crisis on Umbara
    • Appearances for additional companions can now be customized
    • And more to come…
    PLAYER COMMUNICATION

We want to improve our cadence of releasing information to you. It is important to us that you know your opinions count and you have a serious stake in whatever changes we make to the game. To do this, we must chat with you on a regular basis and with a specific focus in mind – that’s our plan.

Starting this week and weekly thereafter throughout June and July, we are going to be posting on the forums to share specific features we’re thinking about and those already in-process. We want to get your input and talk through the pros and cons of each topic to see how you feel. We’ll set expectations for how we want to interact to keep our engagement productive, but if we all do this correctly, it’ll be a fun and rewarding experience.

We will be posting on a very wide range of topics, everything from new content to the reinvigoration of existing features. Look out for these posts every Wednesday (if that changes, we’ll let you know in advance).

And of course, I will plan to deliver an updated roadmap each quarter. This way you can see not only the direction we are heading, but you’ll know what to expect specifically over the few months.

I look forward to our continued discussions!

Respectfully,

---Keith
    Lead Game Producer
    Star Wars: The Old Republic

Counter, BigAl6ft6 and Sinrebirth like this.
  7. Kyle K

Kyle K Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 5, 2017
    I am thinking about the companions who are going to be returned from the roadmap for a new expansion with The Last Jedi in December.
    It is time to get them back and it will be exciting such as Scourge Kira Jaessa Nadia and Khem.

5.3 - Aivela and Esne in July
    5.4 - In the end of August with Umbara FP (maybe 1 or 2 returning companions) when season 8 ends
    5.5 - The 4th children Nahut with 1 or 2 companions in September or if he will appear in the Umbara FP but I think it will be on Iokath - Nadia or Kira that she bring you out from the darkness and lighting your way home.
    5.6 - The mother Scyva in October with 1 or 2 companions - Maybe Ashara
    5.7 - The chief and the father Izax about death in November with 1 or 2 companions - Khem because he like to kill and death and maybe Jaessa as DS. Bonus boss Zildrog.
    6.0 - Next expansion and maybe about Radiant city/empire with more companions

Empress Acina - It's beautiful... I see a radiant empire, infused with the Force, built by the molten gods..."

Maybe 8 companions for the next expansion with 9 chapters and before then more companions as 8 with the gods

16 companions

Andronikos, Ashara, Khem, 3
    Jaessa 1
    Mako 1
    Vector Raina

Kira Lord Scourge Doc 3
    Nadia Tharan Felix Iresso 3
    Akaavi Corso Risha 3

8. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Honestly, I doubt we will see any companions returning until the next expansion.

At best we might have new story content in September where we might see some companions returning.

This is just my wishful thinking. Nothing announced or datamined in this matter.

9. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I wonder if SWTOR will have any presence at E3 this year. Not likely, not with how Battlefront II will be their main focus (and maybe anything else TLJ related). We had cinematic trailers the last two years, but the Eternal Empire storyline is mostly wrapped up (no more Valkorion family drama I hope) so not sure where the game will go from here, as we already have a general idea of how Iokath will end.

It would be nice to get more companions back, but preferably if they weren't so generic (like the Iokath companions were). Though its a bit late for Kira and Scourge already, but better late than never (maybe?). Though a way to clean up the companion list would be much appreciated too. With the Eternal Alliance, they had better ocme up with a good reason for why war is continuing (compared to Iokath's forced choice).

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I suppose a reveal of the next villain in trailer form would not hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    If they are still developing and adding expansions to the TOR, does it mean everything alluded to is official Disney NEU canon? Like the game have Satele Shan so Revan and Bastila are canon?

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    ToR is not canon, it's Legends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
  14. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Came back after a long break.

This decor cost me so much.
    [​IMG]

RafSwi7, AusStig and Sinrebirth like this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    OK I came back for the game after a long break, while I still like some of the decor/mount and the new story chapter, the overall game setting is wayyy too outdated, especially the LFG system. I'm gonna walk out after this month to wait for new story.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RafSwi7, Barriss_Coffee and AusStig like this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If weird stuff starts happening in your crib, you might want to reconsider using that giant Sith holocron as a chandelier....

Mia Mesharad and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Feedback and its ramifications on the story.

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Ugh. This is one time I wish the devs wouldn't have listened to the players. Valkorion's end in KOTET always felt rushed to me and I absolutely think it would've been better to have a third "Knights of" expansion rather than rush it the way they did. So instead of Chapter IX of KOTET being about defeating Valkorion, it could've been another "rest" chapter, like Chapter IX of KOTFE. Vaylin's dead, there's a void in leadership on Zakuul, and now the Outlander's in a position to take that over. Chapters X through XVI of KOTET would've been about taking the Throne, probably. Then the third expansion would've focused on taking out Valkorion for good (probably with a lot of Iokath related stuff like we're seeing now). Plus, we would've seen way more companions return (Scourge and Kira would've probably returned to help stop Valkorion).

Because this happened, we only got two chapters with Redeemed Arcann (assuming we spared him). We barely got any time in KOTET with our romanced companions. Valkorion's death, again, felt rushed. Iokath's introduction felt oddly separate from the rest of KOTET's storyline. So many things were brushed over to get to the end of the story, because they listened to whining players. Honestly, this frustrates me way more than anything that happened during KOTFE and KOTET. I loved the monthly chapter setup, so hearing we would've gotten a whole 'nother year of it? Man, that burns me. And now we've got so many companions still missing and we've got no idea where the story is going from here. And I'm just not feeling this traitor storyline. It feels unearned. All in all, I feel more has been fumbled since they tried to listen to players than when they were doing their own thing.

:oops:

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, KOTET could have been better with 5-6 more chapters.

Still, the gameplay itself require a lot of improvement, I really dislike the forced level sync.

20. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Yeah, I suspected that the storyline was shortened down but not by one third.

Still, we must agree that the communication with the player base has been on point since Keith became the new game producer.

Some notes from the interview with him (from reddit):

• Keith worked at WoW as GM/CS, started at Bioware as CS and worked his way up.
    • Initially no plans to participate in forums but changed the strategy, if it's appreciated (which it looks like it is), more devs will join future on.
    • Bioware writes an internal roadmap, send to higher-ups, approval or adjustments and then dates are set, delays initially due to approval not coming.
    • 5.3 and 5.4 (Released in August) with major class changes
    • Provide better incentives, based on player feedback for Open World PvP
    • Cross server never happening, data center upgrades (1 of 3 upgraded) will enable server merges in the future, technical limitations relating to guilds, ships, and banks. If happening, likely to a new server with a new name.
    • Group Finder Overhaul to make it easier to create a group, see what roles are available and better incentives to play rare roles.
    • Shadows and character visibility improvements, new mechanics, and effects from future operations bosses.
    • Better incentives for players to do "tougher" flashpoints (Rishi, Blood Hunt), possible 2nd tier of MM FP.
    • Mistake to focus only on story, dev team now focuses on all aspects of the game in internal roadmaps, fewer details but regular 90-day plans and more details as new patches get closer.
    • Continued open discussion with players, please provide a "Why" you want a change/nerf/buff/type of content so devs get a context.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    More info about the reception of KotFE and KotET expansions.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    We really need a new GF system which we could use to find any kind of group.

23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, greater communication makes the game look more appealing, especially compared to how quiet it was for most of 2016 and early 2017 (which is partially why the player base was up in arms). It feels like they've posted more in a week than the last guy posted in a month. Greater transparency is always appreciated. Though poor communication (idiotic statements and long silences) has always been a problem for them, so any improvement is appreciated. I'll probably start up my sub again next month when I have more time to take a look at how the game is now. Nice to have the Nightlife event running again and with a tiny bit new content. When they were too lazy to even turn it on last year, that was a bad sign .

I didn't mind some of the monthly chapters, but I question the writer's priorities when popular/anticipated characters like Kira and Scourge were left out (compared to say Torian or Gault, unless they were just really big Imp Agent and Bounty Hunter fans). Then again, KotFE and KotET's story were mainly about Valkorion and his family and SCORPIO, and I don't like SCORPIO so that's a negative for me.

I kind of wish they had stuck with the trilogy of "Knights of", wouldn't have minded another Blur trailer. They heard some of the players' complaints and changed some things but they still didn't quite understand why players complained. I wish they would overhaul the companion list, KotFE in particular handed out way too many useless companions.

AusStig likes this.
  24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think KOTET would have been better if the first 9 chapters are focused on Vaylin alone, along with some story with Arcann, then use 5-6 chapters to swtich to the Emperor and totally resolve the sibiling's issue in the end.

I still think Vaylin deserve a chance to be redeemed, at least she got a reason to be mad compare to her brother.

25. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

I agree with a lot of this. Although at least Gault came with Vette too so perhaps they should have had more double ups.

Also yeah it did seem very rushed, needed more room to breath

26. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

You offer Vaylin multiple opportunities to surrender and be redeemed. She rejects them all.

Sinrebirth likes this.