main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I quite like that. A Sith Empire that exists as a peaceful but collapsing counterbalance to the Republic, with periodical wars. Like a colder version of the New Sith Wars.

Desolous. Darth Desolous. Silly name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    What was the cut content of KotET?

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I still miss the old cold war setting, but I'm more annoyed by KotFE's soft reboot of the franchise. I know the class stories are gone and never coming back, that they don't have the time or resources (or the skill) to do something like that again, but I dislike how... generic everything now feels. The KotFE/KotET story only really fits with the Knight, mostly fits the Warrior, and kind of fits the Consular and Inquisitor. Even then, it feels rushed. Like at the halfway point of KotFE, Lana basically hands the Alliance resistance to the Outlander character, along with the Odessen base. Or how a good deal of the story revolves around Valkorion and his family with the Outlander as the observer- still playing a key role, but compared to the great Bioware stories, where you have a player character and loyal companions taking on a threat, it felt like most of the time we were hearing Senya or Arcann complaining about things. Hearing Valkorion gloat about something is entertaining but that's due more to the voice actor than the actual lines.

Kind of similar to Mass Effect, I think they wrote themselves into a corner with KotET. The Outlander has basically kind of taken over the galaxy, so now what? They've reached the top, now what? Well, the only place to go is down. And that's not even going into how they dumped all the companions or some of the recent story stuff.

Does the current writer hate the Consular? Seriously, every other class has gotten multiple companions back, but the Consular only has had one return, and that was through an alert. The Knight isn't in much better shape either. Although when the reappearance is like on Iokath, maybe its better that they stay gone.

And while its nice to hear that there might be a Zildrog hint, it had better be epic, they're going to have a hard time topping Valkorion or Iokath "gods".

kalzeth likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'd argue it better fits a Sith character as why is the Jedi Knight so chummy with Lord Marr and why is he so angry about Ziost?

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Is that Star Wars?

Star Wars always took care to make sure the main heroes were NOT the founders or leaders of the major movements, and more of the everyday person, another member of the team even if crucial. The only exception is Padme in Episode 1. In 2 and 3, she's just another Senator having doubts. Anakin is never the leader or founder or something, neither is Obi-wan. Luke, Han, and Leia are never the singular leader or founder of anything in the OT. Neither are Rey or Finn in TFA. Also, no one main character directly defeats anything. Anakin just chooses to help Palpatine and feels unnecessary to his scheme. Luke does redeem Vader, but if Luke kept them distracted a little longer they all would have been blown up, Luke didn't lead the Rebels to victory or even do the deed of killing the Emperor himself.

kalzeth likes this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Your second sentence loses me because Leia is the second in command of the Rebel Alliance and probably every bit as important as Mon Mothma to its day-to-day survival.

Luke also defeats Darth Vader.

He just does it with a Paragon check. :)

RafSwi7 likes this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I've been feeling for a while now that TOR feels more like a Star Wars reboot than the actual reboot. For anybody except Sinrebirth, the Legends and canon continuities aren't actually reconcilable, but there's lots of similarities and continuing elements between them, whereas with TOR, you've got all the elements of Star Wars, but it feels increasingly detached in a historical sense from everything else set in the GFFA. It's a subjective thing, but to me it no longer seems much like either a sequel to KOTOR or a prequel to the rest of the saga, even compared to how it began.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Is Leia second-in-command? It never feels like that in the movies.

And yes, Luke defeated his father, one of the Emperor's henchmen. That doesn't contradict what I said.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It certainly felt like she was in charge of the entire Rebel Alliance in the first two movies since the Generals defer to her and she's in command of Echo Base.

Darth Vader is second in command of the Empire and that led to the cutscene where he kills the Emperor, so to speak, so I think its pretty big.

I admit, I may be alone in this because I was confused by the fact everyone said Princess Leia had gone on to become a General and I was like, "Isn't that what she was in the Alliance?"

AusStig likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    This is one of the more appealing elements to the story, actually. To me, anyway.

It does very much seem at odds with how the Galaxy ends up in the next available source in 3522 BBY.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    How do you figure? I'm actually curious.

12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It being at odds?

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, how do you think it's at odds?

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So when will the new roadmap come out?

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    No, don't answer -- never tell him the odds!

Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  16. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    We don't know anything beyond the fact that BioWare planned to have three "Knights of..." expansions and we got two.

"In the next few weeks", which is odd since we are past the last point (Umbara) from the previous roadmap.

17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I know Mace and Kit Fisto have been around for a long time. But were the other two Jedi brand new characters?

18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Oop. Wrong thread.

19. Is this game still active? how many players are in this game in 2017?
    I'm interested in playing it

20. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Go for it!
    yes the game is active, don't know about players (I play the single player stuff) but it's good.

21. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Which planets you would like to see in the future expansions/updates?

For me it would be Kashyyyk (classic KotOR planet and Zaalbar might be still alive), Dantooine (another classic KotOR planet, it would be awesome to visit the ruins of the Jedi Enclave) and Onderon and its moon Dxun (Iziz City! Beast riders! Sith lore!)

The game is still active. I don't know about the exact current numbers but generally there are less players in summer than in the other seasons, when the most of the content updates are being released.

Expect a lot of new players soon, since the new movie is coming out in December.

SWTOR chibi style emoticons by Skyla Rundell.
    [​IMG]

Ghost, Lord Sith Harloxzz and AusStig like this.
  22. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Those sounds great, though top of my list is still Bothawui

I would also like to see Mon Cal, I think it would be nice place to see (maybe they could recycle assets from Lehon and Mannan

RafSwi7 and kalzeth like this.
  23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wish the rest of the KotOR planets had been included, like Kashyyyk, Dantooine, Manaan and Rakata Prime. The last two are present as flashpoints but its just not the same. They probably don't want to bother having that many Wookiee NPC characters models for Kashyyyk, though it would be nice to see Zaalbar, and would be a good way to reintroduce Jakarro and C2-D4 (still miss them after SoR).

From KotOR II, Telos or even the remnants of Malachor would be good too (Malachor III at least is still intact). Bothawui would have been nice too, with how often it was referenced in pre-release stuff. Maybe even Ossus (still ruined from TotJ but probably stable enough for a visit). Or maybe even Byss, since DotJ established it as a Rakata planet too, maybe as a counterpart to Tython (Deep Core Force planet).

The game isn't dead, though every year seems quieter and certain design decisions drive away players. Though this week there's this ridiculously good CXP glitch so the daily areas are the busiest they've been in years.

With the way the game is going, not sure we'll ever get a large planet area again, something on the size of Rishi or Yavin IV. Not quite sure how Iokath compares to that, haven't bothered to go through that quest, and Odessen is pretty small too (and KotFE and KotET were mostly instanced areas).

AusStig, RafSwi7 and kalzeth like this.
  24. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Yes, both Bothawui and Ossus were supposed to happen at one point, so maybe they will appear one day.
    On what server you want to play? Europe or US?

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I wish we can have a chance to visit Nathema again, I would love to explore the planet to uncover more secret of Vitate and the Dark Side ritual.