main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I agree on the UN, but the UN was created and supported by all nations involved. None of the Republic and Sith signed up to the Eternal Alliance. A bunch of their rank and file defected, sure, but that doesn't mean the governments and the populace of the Galactic Republic and Sith Empire, respectively, agreed to having anything to do with it. The Eternal Alliance was a 'holier-than-thou' type creation seeing all governments as irresponsible, without any consent from the people who stand behind the aforementioned governments. I think this is an interesting plot point to explore though, and they should've looked at things from Rep and Sith point of views.

I'm all for Light Sith, but I feel like they'd be better off as sane leaders of the Sith Empire, before they're eventually overthrown by the insane ones to keep the train going into its EU-based conclusion. Also that's kind of the thing with Sith ideology, by its nature it promotes the type of people who are short-sighted and likely to lead their country into ruin. I'm of the people who don't think the Dark Side is evil per say, but when you attach the Sith ideology of Social Darwinism to it, and give them a bunch of superpowers, you get the expected results.

Its easy to imagine anti-hero Dark Jedi who have powers of the Sith, but not the ideals (Kylo Ren could be this if they want to have him become less of a villain, Darth Caedus should've been this). Pretty hard to imagine a long-term Sith on the good guys' side. With some VERY FEW exceptions, which would do us good to see some of, they're just self-destructive in their nature. And that's not prejudice, its that their very ideology and religion relies on Klingon promotion.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    kalzeth and AusStig like this.
  2. Kyle K

Kyle K Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 5, 2017
    I need help about how I proceed to solve this problem and it is the first time for me.

I encountered this error message in the SWTOR launcher "This application has encountered an unspecified error. Please thry this patch again".

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Quoted for truth.

It’s literally no better or worse than the Eternal Empire. It’s still peace at gun-point. The year in which we ruled the galaxy was simply a culmination of our arrogance.

And that’s why we lost it.

We’re practically the sixth member of the Valkorion family tree... which is curious what with the sixth God of Zakuul being Nahut, the shadowed son...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AusStig and Havoc123 like this.
  4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Oh no, they're not going to reveal that Vitiate is really the Outlander's father are they? That's almost as bad as when they revealed Star Trek Deep Space 9's Ben Sisko's mother was a wormhole prophet because she was possessed by a Bajoran god at the time...

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I find a substantial difference between:

1. Preventing a war from happening at gunpoint

2. Conquering and forcing a nation to submission.

There is no right to go to war. Indeed, the right means that if you did have a right to go to war then someone has the right to come and kill you for it. Mind you, given both the Republic and Empire have committed atrocities, there's no problem arresting its leadership for crimes against the galaxy.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You sound like the Organians from Star Trek: Errand of Mercy. ;)

The Eternal Alliance are the Organians? They are the Interstellar Concordium? (for those familiar with the PC game Star Trek: Starfleet Command 2)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Klingon: WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO DEFEND OURSELVES!

Sarek: You have the right to commit murder?

8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Haha, if you watch Star Trek Discovery you will find that Sarek's own closet isn't that clean either.

Oh, and Vulcans are well known as the intellectual puppets of the Federation. ;)

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    But yes, I liked the Eternal Empire vs. Republic vs. Sith thing because as a Jedi you have the power to enforce a peace.

But the Jedi don't want peace anymore than the Sith.

RafSwi7 and AusStig like this.
  10. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    War can sometimes be justified, especially if there is a clear cut aggressor and you are the one defending. If I was a Russian fighting for survival in World War II and some random force came and told me 'just accept Nazi occupation, rape and pillage of your fellow countrymen bro, its all for peace' I'd tell him to stuff it.

Peaceful co-existence between two opposing forces can be achieved, but it can't be forced at gunpoint. If they don't resolve the conflict themselves, then that third side will just breed resentment, not only inbetween the two sides it forced into a hastily agreed on peace, but also resentment from both sides towards themselves.

And yeah, Jedi don't want peace with the Sith. Luke's NJO for sure can achieve peace, but in the Old Republic Era, I think its clear peace can't be achieved. The Old Jedi are very dogmatic and have wiped out other Force Orders (Legions of Lettow) for merely disagreeing with the Jedi's way of doing things. Meanwhile Luke has accepted and worked with the likes of the Jensaarai just fine. By the conclusion of FOTJ, he makes it clear that he believes both Sith and Jedi are necessary for balance in the Force. I'm not arguing whether the Republic or Sith have the moral high ground, I'm just saying peace at gunpoint will only make the eventual war even more vengeful.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The situation with peacekeeping, which is what the LS Zakuul Path is, is that the war had dragged on to the point where we had started to see more and more sides becoming like the other. The Sith were getting better, ironically, as the Dark Council had its worst members pruned while the Republic was getting worse with a dictator taking her role. We also had the Republic sponsoring Revan's plan to lead an army of HK-droids to exterminate the Sith race.

I don't think that argument holds water given canonically, the Sith race seems to have been exterminated in Legends. That's not "resolving" the conflict themselves.

Oh, the Sith are absolutely the worst and Legends ends rightly with the Sith cult destroyed forever (again). The Sith are slavers, the military aggressors, and so on. They're also usually portrayed as the WORST in Star Wars with good reason. However, the game had done a good job in starting to humanize them and move past the conflict with them.

I feel like going back to the republic vs. Sith was a regression. In the end, though, it's complaining about what "might have been." I also do think it's a nice sense of "betrayal" given the Sith and Jedi showed they could cooperate only to be backstabbed by both their governments. Sadly, there was no option to take both Alcina AND Jace down.

In the original Witcher game, there was the "Neutral" path when you were forced to choose between the Order of the Flaming Rose (humanocentric elitist rich guys) and the Scoia'tael (oppressed nonhuman....well terrorists). It's arguably the worst path you can take but the truest to Geralt's personality where he repeatedly says he is not going to take sides in what he views as a pointless conflict that will only get innocent people killed. In the end, he ends up wiping out the leaders of both and killing the bulk of their soldiers trying to attack a hospital.

I always felt that was a memorable story.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  12. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    I have received some answers about Revan and the Exile in SWTOR and its scrapped expansion (which would have taken place on Bothawui, Ziost, Sleheyron and Yavin IV).

Revan's flashpoints were added much later into the story development and were not a part of the original story design. Revan and the Exile were considered out of bounds until Drew Karpyshyn was convinced to join BioWare studio at Austin. Only after he has joined the team, BioWare planned out the fate of Revan and the Exile (Taral V, Maelstrom Prison, Boarding Party, and The Foundry flashpoints). There was no "original plan" to what to do with them before Drew joined them. This is the main reason why these flashpoints felt a little "outside" of the main story.

As for the scrapped expansion (the chapter 4), it was planned for a pre-launch and the most of it was in the early stages of writing. Unfortunately it was cut due to time restraints. It turned out later that the project got extended for other reasons so they actually would have had time anyway.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, I’m pretty happy with how it all went, so I can’t complain about what we lost, I guess.

RafSwi7, DarthJaceus and kalzeth like this.
  14. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Dang, that is really disappointing, I would have liked to see those planets and the stories

RafSwi7 and kalzeth like this.
  15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Too bad, I think I would rather they have left Revan and the Exile's fates ambiguous rather than killing them off in a couple of flashpoints. The Shadow of Revan expansion kind of made up for some of it (except the Exile's useless death), but still, the hypothetical Chapter 4 sounds like it would have been a lot of fun.

I would have thought Revan would have been more involved with the Jedi Knight (or even Sith Warrior) plot as they were the closest to being the "main character" since the Knight dealt with the Sith Emperor, Scourge as a companion, that sort of thing. But of course then they veered in a completely different direction with Valkorion, so Revan's death didn't matter for much anyway. And Revan's Force ghost hasn't popped up since Yavin IV, right? More than Satele and Marr, I was hoping Revan would have played a bigger role in Valkorion's defeat.

RafSwi7 likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, Revan is the only time the Imperials kill anyone actually important to the Republic side.

And as much as I like Revan, any treatment of them would just make things worse.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    AusStig and Voltron64 like this.
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    This has gotten better as the expansions have rolled out, and they death count is more even, though I do wish we hadn't been able to kill Theron

18. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Yeah, me too. I just wish we had more class stories.
    Yeah, Revan's and Scourge's absence in Vitiate's death was very disappointing. Hopefully, there is still a chance for them to be a part of future story content, which might or might not resolve around the original body of the Emperor.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    bizzbizz, Nobody145, kalzeth and 2 others like this.
  19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The problem with Revan is people don't want to see more of Revan.

They want to see more of their player character from KOTOR.

And that's impossible.

20. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    From BioWare's Mid-Summer Update:

"In the meantime, our Star Wars: The Old Republic team is hard at work on some amazing plans for the coming year, with new features and surprises that I think makes it the game’s most exciting year yet."

Revanfan1, AusStig, kalzeth and 2 others like this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Which means nothing.

RafSwi7 likes this.
  22. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    It means that there might be no expansion at the end of 2018.

At least SWTOR is mentioned.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Lord of the Rings Online has what is called "session plays". A dwarf will talk about how Moria was destroyed, and suddenly your character is Ori fighting off hordes of orcs in the fall of Moria.

The Old Republic should bring back session plays. They can let you be Revan with all powers and skills from KOTOR 1 and replay the fight against Vitiate in the Revan novel where Vitiate has 999999999 HP.

This happened in Lord of the Rings Online during a session play as Frodo. Boromir becomes a boss fight who has a gazillion HP, and in the end you have to just put on the ring and run like in the books.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  24. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I would like there to be something this year.

But I am happy they are at least talking about it. I think the new expansion could be really good.

This is going to be more Shadow of Revan rather then chapters right

25. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    I will shamelessly use this post to go completely off-topic and show you the Fellowship as seen through Boromir's eyes, because it is a sight to behold!

[​IMG]

Revanfan1, MrDarth0, Ghost and 5 others like this.