main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Considering that TOR has about everything that has ever been in Star Wars (no matter the era) there's not much left.

A planet of hats? Tholothian Hats should have their own planet.

2. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    TOR's biggest problem is that it's tied up in the narrative and thus, limits the player at times. To be fair, much of that narrative is of quality (with the game producing what I think is one of the best Star Wars stories ever: the Imperial Agent class story) but because you're caught on the tracks, you don't get as much of a chance to explore. Star Wars, for me, has a sense of wonder. TOR doesn't always have that. New worlds? Yeah. BioWare actually does pretty good with world building in those cases. Voss is a great example.

But in terms of letting the player explore worlds and the galaxy as a whole, they can't deliver on it. It's an instance heavy game. It has to be in order for it to have the narrative focus that BioWare wanted. If there was some other Star Wars MMO, I want the chance to explore more.

StrikerKOJ, Zer0, Cynical_Ben and 4 others like this.
  3. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    #1. Everyone that I can understand speaks my language. If my language is English and I can understand Huttese then the people speaking Huttese are speaking English.
    #2. The player is saying the line you click and is not saying it with VA. VA greatly increases the dialogue cost.
    #3. Your standing is based on more than being light or dark. You can also be Neutral. Your style of decisions should also matter. If you are just after profit the DS or LS can be ignored to a point. If you are being logical or "Courageous" () should also be taken into account and if it is sufficiently slanted take priority. EX: If you run off trying to save people and littering the ground with enemies and allies without thinking that means more than your intent for npc interactions similarly acting in a purely logical fashion will likely not go over well in the heat of the moment.
    #4. Increased choices of paths in dialog and actions.
    #5. Story results are written in stone the player only changes the details but, the details show up throughout your story. This means that the player can fail and likely will fail but the story moves on and you can reach different results in every play through (Player failure will tend to be dialogue based not combat based).
    #7. Rewards for content are unique not exclusive. Content should be run for fun not gear. With that said some stuff should come faster with some content.
    #8. Players can choose to avoid many types of content and players.
    #9. Level cap doesn't increase. Why? Frequently, increasing the level cap allows mediocre content to take over for better designed content. All of the skills that are good ideas should be in the game at launch.
    #11. Do not at any point go to Tatooine it has been overused.
    #12. Offer a variety of ships and housing that can fit most rp styles. I'd rather not live in a city or a desert.
    #13. Implement a space based economy with trading, piracy, exploration and smuggling.
    #14. Swap to a model where you pay for the box and additional optional content. (Never put anything on sale ever and start with reasonable prices) (Allow a 1.5 week trial to be done once every year) ( No real money gambling)
    #15. Add Pazaak and Dejarik
    #16. Have multiple companions rather than just one as camaraderie is what makes companions likeable.
    #17. Lock a decent % of companion dialogue behind level rather than reputation. In SWTOR unless I bribe a companion with gifts or intentionally say what they want I rarely learn much about most of them.
    #18. Include some "normal" video game companions. When all of your companions are too unique it becomes hard to like some or most of them.
    #19. Companions will only stay with you out of shared ideals, payment, friendship, need , or love. If you aren't providing for one of those or several to a degree they will leave and you'll need to use a droid instead.
    #20. Companions will attack you or leave you if you do something they disagree with to an extreme unless you pass a massive check on ideals, payment, friendship, or love.

That's all for now I'll probably think of more later.

AusStig likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You know that IRL if you speak, say, French or German you don't hear it as English right? Your first comment is a bit silly.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    French and German are full and complete languages IRL. In SWTOR most of the time the people speaking other languages seem to just be playing the same sounds over and over. This leads to an increase in people hitting space bar to skip and possible siding against them because they get on the players nerves. Also, this leads to a temptation for the developers to shift more to other languages speakers to avoid having to do as much VA. A few droids or species non basic VA is okay but, the increase in speaking non basic by basic capable species gets old fast. It'd be interesting if the player couldn't understand but, as the player seems to know virtually every language it just gets to be annoying.

Zorrixor likes this.
  6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I gotta admit, I'm guilty of that sometimes.

When they don't have full VA, I prefer them to not talk at all. I can play Final Fantasy 7 and Baldur's Gate perfectly fine, because that's all text; I can engage my own imagination, and hear whatever voice I think fits in my own head. But when you get some stupid Twi'lek on Nar Shaddaa mumbling the same repetitive phrase over and over and over again... gah, I just want to get the dialogue over as fast as possible.

With the irritating "Huttese" dialogue, I find it more distracting than immersive after I've heard it twenty times already from Mr Twi'lek in disguise on Coruscant wearing a different jacket, or his twin brother on Tatooine. (Seriously, when I was younger, I remember thinking "Hey, I know you!" the first time I heard the same "alien speak" repeated on another planet, and got confused thinking it was the same character undercover in a different outfit :p)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    Spacebar Spacebar Spacebar

That's the button I hit whenever the quest giver is an alien. Or if the quest giver has an annoying voice. Or if it's a quest I've done before...
    Really, I skip a lot of dialogue in this game. At the same time, though, I love the fact that all my characters actually have voices. I was replaying Kotor 2 the other day, and as good a game and story as it is, it is just plain odd not having a voice over for the main character. When you think about it, it means all your conversations with a character one on one only have one person actually speaking. And if you're talking to T3, no voice over at all. I know some people like that, but it bothers me to no end.

8. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    This is basically my biggest problem with this game, there's no where to explore, everywhere you go has an angry mob waiting to kill you.

One of my problems with this game is the lack of accomplishment, after finishing a class story, I don't feel like I've accomplished anything, not to mention. I don't feel any real challenge with this game. I never got the chance to play it, but something I always thought would be neat is working to be a Jedi/Sith and have a lightsaber, more like a privilege, since everyone and their mother has a lightsaber in this game with every color of the rainbow. It's just sorta a letdown for me. Something else is everything space related, the space missions and PvP is a joke, I want to open roam with a ship, that'd be more entertaining.

I knew it wouldn't make much sense canonically, I always liked the fact with WoW that you could kill the other factions leader if you had enough people and knew what you were doing, even though I never managed to finish it with a group, I wish there was something similar in this game.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have only come to level 10 but right now I can say that I want more playable non-human who are not just using the human model with some light cosmetic changes

More body shapes - I want to play with a body like a panda: big and furry, soft and squishy, also kinda plush and cuddly.

More non-violent Force powers - I am playing a Jedi Consular and as of yet I have only had powers that are good for fighting: were is my techniques that makes it possible to walk among wild animals unmolested; NPC:s in need of me using healing on them and ways to get past enemies that don't involve aggressive negotiation.

anguirus2003 and Zorrixor like this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    They can't make non-humans with a non-human model simply because it would mess up the companion romances. It would be virtually impossible to render a human kissing, say, a Rodian, or a Kel-Dor. They have to keep multiple things in mind when choosing the species you can play, not just the wishes of fans.

I would agree with this. There should be a slider that lets you choose a more exact body size. For example, I'd like to play basically a male body type 2, but maybe a little taller. But at this point in the development of the game, I doubt that they'll change that.

If this were a single-player RPG like KOTOR I'd agree, but since this is an MMORPG, we have to deal with mechanics for that–meaning every ability you get is combat-related because they have to be used for both PVE and PVP. The beast control power was a thing in KOTOR 2. Once you become a Jedi Sage, you actually can use healing on allied NPCs. And getting past enemies without "aggressive negotiations," well, the only option would be as a Jedi Shadow, using Force cloak.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    True Revanfan1, but did you read the part of the original post that said "what would people like to see in an new Star Wars MMO"?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, my bad.

13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    This is one of the things I frequently miss the most in MMOs too, yeah.

Instead of just playing a character to kill people, it'd be nice to have some more... social abilities sometimes. I think there's a couple of quests in TOR where you can talk yourself out of a fight, but... it's very infrequent.

All of a sudden, I'm now curious what Elder Scrolls Online is like, as I haven't played that since I'm not really an Elder Scrolls fan, but those games have almost always had a multitude of ways to complete quests, whether it's stealing the quest item, charming the NPC into agreeing to hand it over, etc, instead of always killing them. I'm going to guess that ESO is the same as most MMOs though, and has just gone for combat abilities, without any of the other stuff?

Something I do like about Aion, though, is the fact you could if you really wanted to, reach max level just by crafting. (I have a friend who did that with one of her alts. :p)

Not that most people would exactly want to do that, but... I have always liked the fact it offers a variety of ways to gain XP instead of necessarily just going and farming mobs.

Gamiel likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I use this as en excuse for posting -

15. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Fairly expansive but also highly imperfect. TOR, for all the design criticisms we might toss towards the art and tech design, manages to be a bit more cohesive. Even if I'm just looking at a launch perspective (which is the only fair way to judge it in comparison to TESO). Elder Scrolls has a lot of interesting lore additions to the setting, probably with the widest range we've seen since Morrowind. This is largely because it covers a lot of areas in the world. Dunno how much that appeals to you but it's worth noting. The main story is a bit weak but has some moments. Alliance stories for individual zones tend to vary. Gameplay is pretty strong and there's some nice exploration elements to zones. PvP can be really exciting too, provided you're on a good shard. If you're into RP, the setting is good but the community lacks organization.

For what it's worth, though, I'm subscribed and I'm seriously considering letting that run out. There's just not enough meat to the bone right now.

Rogue Five likes this.
  16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Secret World MMO has a new mission where you have to learn origami to solve the mission.

17. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    Since KOTOR: Manaan

Shuuru // Personal Datalog

It is not a foolish endeavor to try and anticipate one’s future path, or even the path of an entire civilization. But it can be. If we do not first take stock of that which lies in our wake, we can never truly know how to negotiate the currents ahead. It is with this concern in mind that I indulge in this analysis of the ebb and flow of my dear home, Manaan.

For a long time--longer than we have records for--the Infinite Empire ruled our world. They enslaved us until their eventual fall, and we Selkath vowed we would never be placed in servitude again. As offworld explorers eventually arrived on our world, they came to see our kolto as a vital resource in their contest for dominion over the galaxy. We in turn came to see how valuable kolto could be. Due to our history, however, we also saw how it could become a detriment.

Therefore, my ancestors wisely vowed to remain neutral in the galactic fray. They even went so far as to allow both the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire to establish embassies on our surface metropolis, Ahto City. While their truce on our world was tense, the importance of kolto to their efforts gave them no choice but to conduct themselves in a lawful manner.

At least, that was what we believed.

A visit from a Jedi named Revan changed everything. He exposed a terrible truth--that the Sith were abducting and manipulating our youth, indoctrinating them into the ways of the dark side of the Force. This revelation did not sit well with my ancestors, and the resulting tensions eventually sparked an uprising led by one of those abducted children, Shasa--by this point a powerful Force practitioner in her own right.

The Sith were driven from Ahto City, their embassy razed. We continued our relations with the Republic, but warily so, ever mindful of the pattern of transgressions visited upon us by offworlders. More and more, we Selkath turned to our Force-wielding Order of Shasa--so named for the brave architect of the Sith’s ouster--for guidance. Taking after the pragmatic stance of their namesake, the order sought the abolishment of the Republic embassy from Ahto City, thereby isolating Manaan from the ongoing turbulence beyond its waters.

Ultimately, the action was unnecessary. Like how the flutter of a single fin is said to culminate in a great wave, it seemed as though our actions caused the Empire to crash and disperse. Tensions finally abated. For a time we Selkath prospered. Many of our kind even ventured out into the great sea of stars in search of new lives and opportunities.

We did not know it then, but like the fabled Binexan Shark the Sith Empire rose up from the black depths in a stronger, bolder form. When this resurgent Empire demanded our allegiance, my ancestors attempted to extend the same offer of neutrality they had found acceptable in the past. We only served to anger them. They bombarded our world from space, sinking nearly every last surface structure, Ahto City included.

With their inaction in our time of need, the Republic delivered the finishing blow--and this without having fired a single shot. Betrayed and embittered, we retreated to the depths, no longer willing to associate with any offworlders in any way. To us, they were all slavers. Abductors of our children. Calm-water friends at best.

Those years are said by many to be the greatest in Selkath history. Our own culture and traditions thrived. There was little strife. In our independence from the rest of the galaxy, we were together. But many secretly yearned for the ways and means the offworlders’ presence brought, and we came to find ourselves in economic distress. After a great deal of debate it was finally decided that, despite the lessons our past afforded us, our absence from the galactic stage was not to be permanent.

As our first new surface structure in many years, the Mercantile Plaza opened with strict rules as to who was given landing privileges. At first, this meant only special ambassadors from Republic-aligned worlds were allowed to visit. By this time I was heavily involved in shaping extra-planetary policy, and I pressed to extend an invitation to the Sith. I had been dissatisfied with the Republic’s inaction in our time of need and did not wish to invite a second bombardment from their enemies.

In the time since once again offering the Empire a kolto trade agreement and a presence on Manaan, the Republic has proven itself a more assertive and competent ally than in the past. I can earnestly say they have won me over. That does not mean, however, that we should renege on our deal with the Empire. It serves us well to strike a balance. After all, what guarantees do we have that either side would remain at arm’s length if left unchecked?

The answer to such a question lies in the churn of our wake.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20140718?sf28712064=1

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Wonder when they'll officially announce Manaan, maybe for later as 2.9 will be the big housing update, and we haven't seen a new PTS update for a while. Ah, the references to KotOR. And the character writing is from the Consular storyline too. Most likely it'll just be a new daily area, though it would be nice if it had background than Oricon (since Oricon is just enemy territory, compared to Manaan).

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    From the sounds of it, it's basically politics as usual on Manaan, with Republic and Sith allowed there, but the same tensions that we saw in KOTOR.

Hopefully there'll be more than just Republic vs Empire pew pewing though.

20. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    The Story of SWTOR, 2014

Hi folks! I’m Charles Boyd, Lead Writer for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Let’s talk story!
    The war between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire is still raging, the Hutt Cartel’s invasion of Makeb has been stopped in its tracks, the Dread Masters have been defeated… so what’s the next step?

Forged Alliances

The first chapter in our next major storyline is already available: Forged Alliances, Part I. Comprised of two flashpoints, Assault on Tython and Korriban Incursion, Part I will introduce you to some key new allies as well as the central mystery of the content yet to come.
    While you can always jump straight into these flashpoints with Group Finder whenever you’re looking for some action, the best way to experience the storyline is to find A7-M1 on Vaiken Spacedock or T3-G2 on Carrick Station—they’ll point you toward their masters and begin the overarching quests that connect Assault on Tython and Korriban Incursion.

Speaking of the Future…

In the future, these trusty droids will continue to introduce subsequent chapters in the Forged Alliances storyline, so be sure to check back with them for 2.9 and beyond!

As Bruce has mentioned, Forged Alliances is a three-part story. But that doesn’t mean that Part III will be the end – these flashpoints lead directly into our next major story expansion, our largest since Rise of the Hutt Cartel. While we don’t plan to require that you play the flashpoints before jumping into that expansion, it’s by far the best way to experience the storyline, so don’t miss out!
    We’ll be releasing a lot more info soon, but for now, here’s a teaser to tide you over…

[​IMG]

Charles Boyd
    Lead Writer

Source: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20140723

Barriss_Coffee and anguirus2003 like this.
  21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    If that Wookiee means adding Wookiees as a playable race then I will be pleased.

22. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Minsc (and Boo) would like to have a word with you...

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Manaan Research Facility[/spoler]

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I don't get how you've come to this conclusion after being a WoW player?

I played heavily in Vanilla right through to WOTLK, quitting after we cleared Ulduar. I went back for about 1 month last year go to go kill Arthas and close off that chapter.

WoW made a conscious effort, almost, to ensure that your PCs didn't matter. I had an Alliance Ret Paladin named, strangely, Endersai. Did the quest narrative reflect the fact that I and my friends put down the demon-infused night elf Illidan Stormrage? That we killed Prince Kael'thas, or Kel'thuzad in original Naxxaramas? No.

TOR, on the other hand, makes it clear that my L50 Scoundrel, Endersai, did kill the Voidwolf. He did court the daughter of notorious pirate Nok Drayen. He did all those deeds. They very cleverly made the L1-50 experience count for making you, the player, feel like it was your version of the OT/PT.

I'm now back in, trying out the Hutt Cartel expac and I feel the lack of class specific stuff actually hurts the narrative in that sense.

RafSwi7 and MercenaryAce like this.
  25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    To be fair to WoW, I gave it up after WOTLK too, just before the Arthas patch as (1) I was bored, (2) the Argent Tournament pissed me off as needless filler, and (3) for exactly the reasons you describe: I was sick of my player being a nobody, and just watching some NPCs do all the important stuff.

I got drawn back into it earlier this year though by a friend, and I gotta admit, while I totally laughed at Pandaria in the trailers, they've majorly improved the story experience. It's not as interactive as TOR, but you feel a much more important figure than you did going and grabbing some rats tails.