main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Maybe Revan is perhaps the new Emperor's Voice?

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, Revan. SMH. You used to be cool.

Not a bad take. A good one, in fact.

Though I maintain that they'd have done better justice to the character -- and our experiences in KotOR -- by having him immediately ghost upon being released from his life-extending prison to become a spirit advisor to the Jedi characters in the vein of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Finally, he'd have pulled an Empatojayos Brand on Vitiate during the final battle and kept him contained, thus finally fulfilling his goal of defeating the Emperor.

But maybe they didn't want to rip off Dark Empire?

lol

Kylun and Starkeiller like this.
  3. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    Who would not have gone nuts after 300 years of hearing, that Vitiate thinks that he is better than Sidious?

Seriously it is yet to be seen whether next part of Revan's story is good or bad and I have a feeling that I will love it or hate it.

I just hope that they will not make him just another boss to fight. I would rather like to see Revan reaching the point of the catharsis that would save him from his demons. His story is already full of tragedy pain and I would like something more uplifting (I do not mean by it to be necessary a happy ending).

Well, IIRC in novel "Deceived" Malgus conceives an idea that the Empire must be changed, he constantly presents his beliefs (like emancipation of Aliens in the Empire etc.) during all of the flashpoints and during Ilum storyline he puts his plan into motion. After that Malgus "rebellion" happens.

Just like Kreia said, right? "I do not believe the Jedi Council changed Revan, as they claimed. They merely stripped away the surface, and allowed the true self to emerge again - someone who was willing to wage war to save others.”

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    On the one hand, as the hero of KotOR, its depressing to see Revan end up like this. In the Revan novel he seemed to recover all his memories before the end (where he tried to fight the Sith Emperor), but then the 300 years of torture broke him, though he might also have possibly influenced Vitiate's thinking too. And of course Bioware doesn't bother with the Jedi Exile (who sort of helped hold Revan's mind together through the centuries).

On the other hand, I never quite liked Revan's "get out o the dark side free" card thanks to amnesia. I think in the flashbacks Revan was the one who started on the dark path with Malak following (though Malak isn't innocent either of course), and Revan ends up saving the day. KotOR II had some interesting theories about what Revan was really up to, but most of those theories don't fit with what we eventually got (Revan conquering the Republic to get it ready for the Sith Empire, but he just had amnesia about the Sith Emperor too).

Ah, figured I didn't miss much about Malgus. I know Deceived explained Malgus' motivations, just curious if there were any cutscenes or conversations I had missed that hinted at Malgus preparing for his rebellion. There are a few hints (such as the Imp strike team capturing the Foundry), but nothing too much. Just curious if Malgus showed up in PVP or in some codex entry (such as how Jace Malcolm was in PVP I think), but figures he wouldn't.

In a way they almost seem to be rushing out a lot. We haven't even gotten to Manaan yet and so 2.9 and 2.10 will finish up Forged Alliances. I think they said they're trying to release two expansions this year, with the Strongholds being one, but either they'll make it (and the latter half of the year will be really busy) or they won't.

RafSwi7 likes this.
  5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, the Revan novel is the only thing that I feel stands to lose anything.

But if they walk over the Revan novel? Hahahahahahahahahah. [face_rofl][face_laugh][face_rofl]

So, um, yeah... I'm not worried about what we might lose. :p

Zer0 likes this.
  6. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    I have nothing against tragic or bittersweet stories.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it is a problem of writing. Whether Bioware is able to give Revan deep, emotional storyline (and ending too) and (like Zorrixor has written) let him overcome his past. I simply don't want him to end like this (using some changed quote from the other game):
    I don't say that it is a bad ending, but for Revan it would be the lazy one. It would be the same thing they have planned at the beginning (the Foundry from BETA) - to keep him alive and make him a cool boss to kill. I hope that we won't get simply a prolonged version.

What I would love to see is overcoming the past, catharsis, heroic moment and bittersweet or happy ending for Revan. Something with emotional core - around this lines (again changed quote):
    or this:
    or:
    Is this too much for a MMO?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Question... does TOR have day/night/weather cycles yet? After playing LOTRO, I was very disappointed that TOR (a newer game) was behind LOTRO on this. Haven't played TOR in a year or two now.

8. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011

There is no day/night/weather cycle.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I must admit, while I remember speculating about Emperor Revan long, long, long ago, back before TOR was even out, when we were still thinking about KOTOR3, I've kinda gone off the idea now, and think I'd prefer Revan to be the one who takes Vitiate out. I originally expected Satele to fill that role, but... they've not developed Satele into a decent enough character anymore than they didn't Malgus, so I think it'd be more fitting for the "Final Ending" cutscene where Vitiate is finally taken out to involve Revan somehow.

I used to hate having an NPC do stuff, but... after what they've done in recent WoW expansions, I actually prefer seeing a big lore character land the killing blows than [Insert Player #563]. I appreciate TOR is different, and the player more important, but... I still feel Revan "is" the player enough that it wouldn't hurt for us to be "his companion" this time, and fight by his side in the final battle.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Disappointing.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    revan why did you betray us

12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Why does Bioware hate KOTOR so much

13. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    A big part of the messing up of KOTOR is that the writers have lots of rules and limitations and to keep sales up they have to include KOTOR references.

They initially made everything too epic and thus everything has to be a major threat and they made it seem that Vitate was superior to most prior Sith at the expensive of the characters from KOTOR.

As they are given limited development resources they need to create a third faction to fight against over and over and they also refuse to allow the player to join.

Thus the factions are severely limited in the appeal or depth they are allowed to have to prevent player rage. As a result, Revan is forced to come off as a crazy person because otherwise probably more than 50% of the game would consider joining him.

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    More importantly why does LucasFilm hate Star Wars

15. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006

I thought they just discarded II. Didn't think they would undermine their own game. Oh well, we'll see where this goes, I guess.

16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Does Lana have any connection with Revan?

17. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Lana Del Rey?

Ender Sai and darklordoftech like this.
  18. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012

Through five degrees of separation: Revan --> The Old Republic: Revan --> Del Rey --> Lana Rel Rey --> Lana

19. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Considering how the Revan novel went and ignored almost all of the first game's cast, that's probably Bioware's current attitude towards KotOR. I've heard Obsidian still would like to make another Star Wars RPG, but its only vague ideas from them at the moment, being busy with other stuff (and the Star Wars game license probably out of their reach, since EA will probably be redoing the Battle of Hoth a dozen times over the next few years).

The SWTOR site posted a little tidbit today, of two new arrivals on Manaan, a man with spiky hair and a pale woman. Its not much, but I appreciate the extra bit of lore. Too bad the next flashpoints aren't up on the PTS yet (I think?), but most of the game will probably be busy with Strongholds next week anyway (either collecting stuff or selling stuff).

20. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Plus, didn't Obsidian propose making an RPG set around the Classic Trilogy era?

21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Wasn't KotOR made by Bioware? KotOR2 was made by Obsidian.

Lana Beniko.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Slowpoke, why are you in love with Lana?

23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, let me rephrase that to make it clearer. The current Bioware is quite different from the Bioware that made KotOR, which was years ago. Companies change over time of course, but they're also owned by EA now, and the founders already left, I think. Even taking that into account, a lot of SWTOR seems built on ignoring or ruining KotOR, in a certain way. For instance, Revan is locked up for 300 years and then when he gets out, he's "killed", not even as a raid boss, but as just a flashpoint boss (mid-level flashpoint at that). Same with HK-47, reduced to just a minor boss (then reprogrammed to serve Malgus as another sub-boss). Whenever the Revanite threat really gets going I half expect HK-47 to pop up again as another sub-boss.

What I meant is that Bioware will never make a KotOR 3 (they've changed too much probably and they're too busy with SWTOR) and Obsidian, which made the very highly regarded KotOR II, also probably won't get a chance to make another KotOR game due to various reasons (they're busy, the license is probably out of their hands with EA going back to the basics such as Battle of Hoth, etc.), though occasionally when asked (or they'll just comment) that they're still interested, but its just wishful thinking on everyone's part at this point.

The Revan novel was basically the last, or at least most recent, word on KotOR (Revan captured, Exile killed, T3 completely blown up), and it was... mediocre at best, which is the perfect example of how Bioware is treating KotOR these days.

It might still be interesting to see Theron run into his ancestor, or at least talk over the holo. Satele is the basic generic quest-giver, and instead they've elevated Theron and Lana as important characters. While I haven't played through MMOs much, though I can understand frustration where players fight their way past raid bosses only to watch the epic NPCs clash, I still don't mind Revan as the central figure of this era, if he actually gets to do something, though hopefully they won't just replace every "Dread Master" title with a "Revan/Revanite" title instead, but I'm not optimistic.

24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I really hope Lana is Revan in drag.

Starkeiller, Zer0 and Zorrixor like this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I just think she's very interesting.

I've played through all the Empire classes, beat IA twice through different paths. Most of the high rank Sith are characterized well, they have different goals, methods and temper, but they are all manipulative, arrogant and treacherous. Most of the Imperial officers are also cold and ruthless, even some "nice" ones are only good to certain individuals.

Lana is a lot different, she doesn't behave like most of the Sith, didn't even take a Lord title to intimate others. That's nice but also "too nice there might be something wrong with her(AKA Zash)". She is calm and intelligent, but at the same time she didn't hide her emotion of being lonely and uncomfortable, unlike how a Sith or high rank officer should behave. That's attractive but I'm not sure was she just showing her true behavior to get help or just a mask to deceive or earn trust. I don't know how could such a nice Sith could survive through her training and competition with others. Either a really nice and rare girl, or some really manipulative Sith. The mystery also makes her more interesting.