main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I don't have the novel to hand right now, but in that doesn't Vitiate say something like "I will become a farmer, a teacher, a gardener" and imply that he will absorb the life of the universe, and becoming it, their lives becoming his...?

With how Revan was effectively the same as the Emperor's Children, but just resisted it, I suppose it could be that with Revan's own spirit defeated, Vitiate has "become Revan" in the same way that he wished to live all those other lives.
    You mean like a Hendanyn death mask?

(That actually makes me think about this flashpoint called "Ravager" and how it could be cool if they did something like that with Nihilus's mask....)

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This may be odd from someone named Revanfan1, but I think that a revived Nihilus would be a better villain for this expansion than a revived Revan. Mostly because I don't want Revan to be a villain. :p

But really, they might've not done that because Nihilus' ability might be considered too close to Vitiate's, so they didn't want to seem like they were retreading things. Still, Nihilus has always been one of my favorite KOTOR-era Sith, if only for appearance (I like Sion better for personality/motivation), and I'd like to see him back. Although given Sion's ability, him coming back would perhaps be more believable than Nihilus.

3. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    However, in the midst of the discussion, the Revanchist discovered a Mandalorian mask underfoot. When he picked it up, the entire group of Jedi was enveloped in a Force vision of the past: hundreds of Cathar were storming toward the nearby beach, pursued by a swarm of Mandalorians led by Mandalore's lieutenant Cassus Fett. The Jedi tried to defend the Cathar, but their lightsabers were unable to harm the phantom Mandalorians. The Jedi watched helplessly as the Cathar were herded into the ocean, and Fett's forces prepared to massacre the Cathar.[17]
    [​IMG]
    Revan dons the Mandalorian's mask and vows to avenge the Cathar.
    One Mandalorian, however, flew in front of the Cathar and pleaded with Fett on their behalf, arguing that they were defeated and genocide was unnecessary. Fett declared that the Cathar had to be annihilated for dishonoring the Mandalorians during the Great Sith War, and that if the warrior wished to stand with the Cathar in their final moments, then she could perish alongside them as well. Fett saluted her efforts before authorizing his warships to fire away, thus killing the female Mandalorian and all of the Cathar. It was that woman's mask that the Revanchist had found, and after being inspired by her sacrifice, he placed the mask on his face. Drawing his violet-bladed lightsaber and adopting the simpler name of Revan, he vowed to wear the mask until all of the Mandalorians were brought to justice for their atrocities.[17]

When they did so, Revan departed his cell and told them to stay against the wall until his friends arrived, and several minutes later Surik descended into the dungeons to embrace her former mentor. Their reunion was interrupted by the arrival of Scourge, though Surik told Revan he was an ally, and Revan stopped Scourge from killing the two guards before he collapsed due to the drugs. Scourge quickly delivered the antidote to the drugs, but when Surik handed him his mask—which his wife had kept hidden ever since she recovered it during the mission to capture him—all of Revan's missing memories returned at once and he collapsed into sensory overload. When Surik and Scourge were alerted to an approaching presence by T3-M4, they moved Revan into his cell just before Darth Nyriss arrived and killed the two guards.[1]
    Nyriss began to overpower both Scourge and Surik when they engaged her in battle, and when she had them at a disadvantage, the Dark Councilor gathered an intense storm of Force lightning and prepared to unleash it upon the pair. Revan, meanwhile, had recovered from his collapse and donned his mask, and he stepped out into the corridor with his hood raised. Countering Nyriss's declaration of victory, Revan extended his hands and absorbed the bolts of lightning before unleashing them back upon their caster, reducing Nyriss to a pile of ash in a matter of seconds. Saddened that the guards had been slain, Revan stopped and bowed his head over their bodies, but Surik interrupted him and Scourge delivered his lightsaber to Revan before the four of them fled the stronghold

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revan

Personally, I'm think that with major characters the power and skill should primarily derive from the character. Be it in their person or what they can make or plan to help them. Not in things they pick off of the ground or steal when nobody is in competition.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's not the novel, it's what he tells the Jedi Knight if you ask what the point of immortality is if there's nothing left for him to rule over. One of the more interesting moments of that storyline, actually.

Personally, assuming those lines are real, I'd guess "Revan" is more like one of the deep-cover Emperor's Children, not even knowing he's a fake. Sadly I think this is a serious blow against Naga Sadow being involved, though I do like the idea of the real Revan returning as a Force ghost so we can have both good and evil versions. Which is partially why I think this is plausible, since Bioware has a known tendency for trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    Some new .ogg files from final operation (from fight):

Unknown "Revan": Everyone outside the temple will die shortly. It has to be this way.
    Unknown "Revan": This is for the good of the galaxy. I promise you.
    Unknown "Revan": No! I Won't be denied!
    Unknown "Revan": There is no one left to stop me. I coming for you Vitiate...
    Unknown "Revan": I will never give in!
    Unknown "Revan": You cannot stop the sacrifice!
    Unknown "Revan": I will face the Emperor!
    Unknown "Revan": You will save this world only to destroy all of the existence?!
    Unknown "Revan": Vengeance will be mine!
    Unknown "Revan": Think how many lives the Emperor will consume!
    "Ghostly Revan": I am doing all what I can.
    "Ghostly Revan": I only hope this will be enough.
    "Ghostly Revan": Do not let him win.
    "Ghostly Revan": I am with you. Be strong.
    "Ghostly Revan": Brace yourself.
    "Ghostly Revan": He has even corrupted my friend.
    Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comme...0_pts_data_mining_until_swtor_miner/?sort=new

6. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So basically Revan is trying to do what Vitiate did on Medriaas/Nathema, sacrificing every life on the planet so Vitiate can be resurrected so he can be the one to kill him ?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think it's more like he's trying to give himself an equal amount of power so he can win. This could be another reason to believe that "Revan" is under Vitiate's influence, since mass death was what he needed to kickstart his final ritual. But it could also indicate otherwise, since if "Revan" actually can absorb the power, then he really will be a threat. (In other words, the Naga Sadow theory may have life in it yet!)

Either way - and once again assuming this is real, which as always should be taken with a grain of salt - I think it's kind of cool that "Revan" actually calls him Vitiate. I think that'll be the first time ever the name's been spoken in-game.

Zorrixor likes this.
  8. Scrubbed

Feb 1, 2006
    Personally, I'd always hoped that mass death was a misdirect. Vitiate had Coruscant under the control of his fleet at one point. All he'd have needed to do is say fire and you'd have the largest amount of death in Galactic History. If that wasn't enough bodies imagine both the in fighting among the Republic after and the Republics/Corporations Vengeance on the Sith. You'd probably could literally decimate the galaxy by doing that. Yet, he didn't.

9. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Wasn't the explanation, though, that Revan (who was still in prison at the time) had been using his mental influence to stop Vitiate obliterating Coruscant?

10. Scrubbed

Feb 1, 2006
    They also said the Emperor was using Revan as a conduit to the light side of the force.

11. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    You can check some audio tibits here.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Hmm, interesting.

So whoever "Darth Revan" is, "Ghostly Revan" seems to be the "real" Revan. I wonder who Ghostly Revan's "friend" is. HK-47, I'd assume? So "Darth Revan" has tricked HK into believing he's the real Revan. I'm sad that the real Revan is dead, but at least he's still a hero, not a maniac! This pleases me.

13. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    I am watching swtor miner stream right now and there are spoilers about the Emperor [BIG SPOILERS]
    Probably from codex entries (I remember only a part of them):
    "The Emperor stalks the galaxy once more. Whether is return from the blink of oblivion is the result of the Emperor's own manipulations or merely the result of a terrible..."
    "... But given that it's founding members witnessed the return of the Emperor firsthand...."

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The other option that crossed my mind was the Exile... though I certainly hope it means what you said. As for "Ghostly Revan"? I agree. Though I suppose he may not necessarily be "dead" but trapped within his mind by Vitiate's will (or Naga Sadow [face_praying]) in which case it'd possibly be Revan's true self's astral projection. Speaking of the Exile, though, an interesting line that her ghost says that's always stuck with me, is when she says:

"The prisoner holds the darkness at bay, lost inside it for three-hundred years. His strength will fail. Then, he will become the darkness."

That certainly seems to reflect what's now happening-- either that Revan has become like Vitiate, following him down the same path in order to defeat him, or else that Revan has literally become the new incarnation of Vitiate (or even Naga Sadow maybe, if Sadow is meant to know the same dark rituals that Vitiate used against the other Sith Lords).

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011

And that why we will probably fight not Revan but the "Shadow of Revan". Is something like this happened before in SW universe (person's dark nature becoming an invidual entity)?

16. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    So someone datamined a lot of the conversation and quests. Here is a link: http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/2jppn8/30_string_table_changes_new_loading_screens/

Major spoilers:

Apparently Revan has a very bad case of multiple personality disorder. His good side became the ghost and dark side is still in his body. Dark!Revan wished to resurrect the Emperor in a corporeal body to destroy him once and for all (like mentioned earlier). But the protags believe he will fail so they set out to stop him.

They defeat him but the Emperor is still resurrected. Revan is also reunited and appears to still be alive.

Zorrixor and RafSwi7 like this.
  17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, if I remember right, wasn't the original idea for Nihilus in KOTOR2 going to be that he'd be the Exile's dark doppelganger, that was created during the Battle of Malachor, or something along those lines...?

I don't actually mind this idea with Revan. There's something sorta interesting about what happens to the empty vessel when the spirit willfully abandons it.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    So the Emperor resumes the Empire's command? Or he reveals his goal to everyone?

19. JamesSkywalker

JamesSkywalker Jedi Master

Jun 8, 2011
    This might be a bit off topic but I hope the Old Republic storyline is eventually made cannon. The Knights of the Old Republic would make an excellent film in my humble opinion. I remember playing KOTOR for the first time and feeling the same shock as the Empire Strikes Back when Revan is revealed to be the players character.

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    According to the spoilers, the Dark Council finally realise the Emperor plans to consume all life, and so the Empire sides with the Republic to take down the Emperor.

21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    This. Is. Just. Awesome.

Vthuil, Revanfan1 and Zorrixor like this.
  22. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011

Not really, the truce between Empire and Republic is broken. They know that the Emperor is going to kill them all but they still wage war with the Republic.

23. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
  24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I honestly always found the last fact of the Jedi Knight's story to be kind of weak. That last cinversation with the Sith Emperor is cool (especially him saying he'll just fly off towards the bext galaxy, being an immortal Force god), but trying to stop a large number of deaths at once to delay his ascension was silly. Even the Revan novel brings up the possibility that he could just sacrifice Dromund Kaas to get enough deaths, rather than having to go through all the trouble on other random planets. Its always just an excuse to go visit Belsavis, Voss and Corellia, but most of the other classes draw on the story of those worlds better.

These spoilers sound interesting, wonder how far into the story we have to go until "true" ghost Revan starts speaking. I wasn't expecting "Revan" to be real, but was expecting more along the lines of an imposter, but at least this way sounds like it ruins Revan's story less. Even if it does involve beating up HK-47 again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011

Apparently you meet "Good" Revan on Yavin. About "ruining" Revan's story... I must say that it is kind of cool that Revan's main theme in expansion is his duality. It's IMHO back to the roots. It is also worth noting that this time Bioware has not just repeated his storyline like did in the Foundry ("I'm doing bad things for greater good") but they managed to expand his story ("I was wrong") and now it seems that his dark days are finally gone.

Revanfan1 likes this.