main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I must've also fallen into the healing companion trap despite being a consular myself. I dontbhavebthe final companion yet but I have yet to find somebody I PVE better with.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I don't really see relying on the healing companion as a trap, unless you mean relying on the healing companion to make up for bad playing. Like if you're a tank, I figure you're supposed to have a healer backing you up. Although it is a lot easier with a healer backing you up. Also if you're trying the heroic areas, don't forget to use your crowd-control techniques- the ones that can stun an enemy for 60 seconds, even when you engage that mob.

Most classes usually have at least one, either in stealth or that can be used in battle. The Jedi Knight is an exception, as the Guardian class lacks any CC I think... and doesn't even get a healer companion until Chapter 2! Every other class gets it earlier or at least has a healing advanced class (one reason I didn't care much for playing the Jedi Knight). For most normal fights, two tanks or a tank and DPS still works... just makes the story boss fights more annoying. Tackling heroics by yourself is a lot easier when you're several lever highers than the heroic mission, and sometimes the reward is worth it (some useful piece of gear, although no idea how much F2P can equip). Just that getting enough experience is a pain by the higher levels, so trying to overlevel for heroics is going to take some time. Well, I guess flashpoints and PVP can provide a lot of experience too, just have little to no interest in those activities. Well, maybe spaceship missions might help too but don't care about those much either.

3. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Well, if you're a tank, for ordinary encounters you really shouldn't need a healing companion, it makes more sense to have a dps companion to speed things up. Tank+Healer companion is slooow at killing anything. It's useful for certain fights (like against lone champion enemies), but not all that advantageous otherwise.

As for other classes, dps options that don't hold agro may benefit more from having a tank companion out than a healer, especially to take advantage of the benefits of being well away from the enemy to avoid aoe damage. Likewise healers should always be using their tank companion (get used to incomprehensible growling consulars/inquisitors).

Healers will be most useful for melee dps and for heavy armor ranged dps - certainly I used Elara pretty much constantly while using my commando.

Soloing heroics also tends to lead to massive xp rewards (it's a great way to burn some bonus xp) and is a good way to stockpile commendations. Overleveling is very, very easy for subscribers. If you do every mission on each planet you will overlevel without bothering with heroics at all, especially if you throw in any space combat or flashpoints. Ths is quite common, just look at the player listing on Belsavis or Hoth at some point, a huge proportion of the players will be overleveled.

To those having trouble with grinding though, take heart, the first character is by far the hardest one to level. The way the legacy works the first lvl 50 character kicks a bunch of bonuses back down to any alts that follow, and a 50 can usually provide very effective crafting supplements to help out.

4. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Does anyone here play together or in a common guild or anything? What server are people playing on? I'm on Harbinger.

5. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    My main is a Infiltration Shadow, And I did alot better in solo work with a well geared Nadia Grell, Qyzen Fess, and Lt. Irasso, than I have with Theran Cedrax.

Some times you need Theran, I have been saved by his Cast Holiday which is can interupt and mesmerise, But his healing isnt all that great. Not for a DPS.

Same with my Sentinel and Doc, when taking out the summon boss in Black Hole (The area quest) I got killed 3 times, suceeding only when I used by ranged tank T7.

Now my sent has purple gear, but when she was a "fresh Fifty" "Two Guns" blew through my HP when i was with Doc, or Because Scourge (my better geard tank) stood so close to the NPC we were fighting I got killed by splash damage especially from his missle attack if "kick" and "Force Stasis" was on cooldown.

When I used T7, T7 died, but he kept the heat away from me so by the time I was the target, the NPC had so low HP I could take the heat and Burn him down.

When, Black Hole was new, and I was on my Infiltration Shadow, I could with Theran Cedrax take on "Two Fingers" but it was faster, and i too almost no damage with Qyzen Fess. And Now I do Black Hole dailey (When I do them) almost exclusively with Nadi Grell, she is in purple moded gear. So 2 DPS in BH/Rakata(Mods) and her in Tionese/Champion(Mods) pretty much burn through everything easily.

My level 36ish Smuggler Scoundrel/Sawbones works best with Risha. Bowdar and Corso Riggs
    I use as well. But when dealing with regular mobs/silvers I burn through oppenets quickly and rarely die.

When i get Kira into some purples, She will probably the companion my sentinel runs with the most.

6. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    The JC Guild is called JC Heroes and we're on Jedi Covenant. It's basically just a handful of people these days. I don't think that I've ever seen it with more than two people on at a time.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah we used to have decent numbers when the game first launched, but that stopped and FTP hasn't changed that.

Also, man, I wish I had the credits for a Revan mask or a nice diplomat's meditation chair...

8. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Has anyone picked up the Star Wars: TOR Encyclopedia, and if so, what have you thought about it? Is it worth buying. I haven't played the game but would like to increase my knowledge of the era. And the book is very tempting every time I walk into the bookstore.

9. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Honestly, it's one of the finest SW reference books I've ever seen, on par with the Atlas and Warfare. It is massive, visually-diverse, and teeming with text. We need movie-era stuff like that.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ...huh. That's surprising. And the text is -- good? Who's the author?

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    A bunch of people.

12. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Ian Ryan and a few others. I'm not especially interested in the era, but it's definitely an ideal template for a reference guide.

13. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I just replayed Agent Chapter 1 and decided to join Jadus, wow he spared Watcher Two an promoted her to Keeper just like the other route. I really should have joined him in my first character.

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I can almost taste level 46 with my Agent. So close to the end. Then I can focus on my other, more neglected characters.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Agent really has the best class story.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Which other ones are good? I just started in November with free-to-play... been playing my Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Consular at about the same pace (though not muc in the last couple months)

I know the Imperial Agent is good, but what about the other ones?

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012

I only played 4 Empire stories.

Agent is no doubt the best, all 3 chapters are great, lots of twists and you have many routes to choose.
    Sith Warrior is pretty good for a Darth Vader type, lots of blood to spill along with schemes, especially the later part of Chapter 1 and most of Chapter 3.
    Bounty Hunter's planet stories have a lot of fun, but the overall arc is a bit weak compare to IA and SW, espeically most of Chapter 2 and 3.
    Sith Inquisitor is the worst, nowhere close to a Sidious type of story, lack of manipulation and too many ghostbusting/healing nonsense, while some parts are good.
    My Rating
    IA 9.5/10
    SW 8/10
    BH 7.5/10
    SI 6/10

18. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'd join, but I'm on Ebon Hawk, I believe. FTP.

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So the Makeb story is out, the Empire seems won more overall, didn't look at all the videos since I want to experience the story by myself.

Darth Marr really took the charge.

20. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    "Let some one else claim the Throne my place is on the battlefield"

I vote Darth Jadus for New Emperor!

21. DarthNefaris

DarthNefaris Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2011
    Where did you find those videos?
    Glad to hear the Empire winning for once.

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Darth Marr definitely was the best one on the Council take charge.

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Empire actually winning something for once?

These videos are clearly April Fools. :p

Sinrebirth and darklordoftech like this.
  24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Youtube, Dulfy.

25. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010