main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I remember those old timeline videos, was always sad they never finished them, but did wonder why they were going that far back. The completed ones cover the history that's most relevant to SWTOR (most of TotJ), but would have been interesting to see how they showed those ancient events, since both Tython and Korriban were in this game.

The way things were going, I was half expecting Bioware to use the timeline videos as foreshadowing to set up some ancient Force-monster-abomination as a final boss, either making the Sith Emperor one (which they kind of have) or have some older threat show up. Though that was probably a bit too ambitious for their story (after the original 8 class story stories, they've settled down into one player character narrative), well, that and TCW and FotJ already used that idea too, so that might be another reason they held back. Though the most likely explanation is that the timeline videos were no longer relevant as game development progressed.

If new ship models do show up in game, I hope they aren't rip-offs of later eras, but oh well, at this point they don't need to be concerned about canon much anymore. I still remember how some of the first concept art for this game was blatantly based off of Legacy art.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Since it's not canon now, Bioware can do whatever they want? Let the Sith Empire win?

Zorrixor and DelRiego like this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I can't seriously believe they'll go too nuts with it, but it is an interesting question of how much they'll feel constrained by the rest of the Legends timeline now. (And yes, you could say they never were - but there's a big difference between anachronistic aesthetics and going full-blown alternate history).

A more interesting question, I think, is whether people would want Bioware to remain within the bounds of future history as established by Legends or not.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm fine with ignore the Movie era EU.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Me too. It would make TOR more epic and meaningful and I love the 20,000s BBY era. Conveniently popping up from nowhere at the end of the Great Hyperspace War and again in KOTOR's backstory is a boring and contrived origin.

Zorrixor likes this.
  6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
  7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder what this is about:

[​IMG]

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    darklordoftech I guess, it depends on which planet it is....

I originally thought it was on the bridge of a Star Destroyer and something related to Ziost, but I've just realised you can see the buildings underneath, so it's the top of a citadel... which now makes me think that's Kaas City, and the Emperor's throne is now empty, now that the Empire itself has turned against their own emperor, so... maybe Marr will be dealing with the empty throne, and the Dark Council squabbling over who should replace Vitiate?

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    No, I think it is a ship (or maybe a station) - you can see the curve of a planetary horizon in the background.

darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Lana Beniko for the Empress!

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Reddit's having a good time speculating about the Rakata. They think that "#FallenEmpire" refers to the Infinite Empire.

12. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    During last Cantina people got a bracelet with date June 15, 2015 on it (with phrase "#FallenEmpire"). Maybe there will be an announcement of new story expansion (I do not think that something like Strongholds or Starfighters would get such line) on that date.

We must also remember, that the ending of Ziost storyline was not on PTS, so I suspect it will be quite spoilerific for what is to come.

As far as I am aware they still need to send their ideas to LSG and these ideas are approved or not. Most likely they are still bound to the existing continuity.

13. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    On the main swtor forums I've also seen speculation that they'll have a swtor trailer during EA's pre-E3 conference, since E3 starts June 16, so the June 15 date probably isn't coincidental.

With the epic story XP (though sounds like there is an option to skip it if you want), that seems like another attempt at encouraging people to reach max level so that they can be ready for another expansion or something like that.

I would like to see more of the post-Emperor Sith Empire. A good deal of the Dark Council got killed off during the launch game, though they were replaced, but for a while they've been sidestepping the Empire and Emperor situation by covering up the whole thing (sure the Sith Emperor hasn't been killed, he's just out of sight for a while).

Also curious about when Revan will show up again. He's sort of still around after the last expansion, and will now probably serve as an heroic NPC who will occasionally show up and give the players hints and missions.

14. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    While I am glad and prefer that they're sticking to Legends as they should, my fan theory is that Vitiate was originally actually Krayt back in time, with a deep cover story.

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I just finished the Bounty Hunter campaign and did a review of it on my website.

Bounty Hunter storyline review: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2015/04/star-wars-old-republic-bounty-hunter.html

I am now finished with the Sith Inquisitor, Imperial Agent, and Sith Warrior campaigns.

Imperial Agent storyline review: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2014/08/star-wars-old-republic-imperial-agent.html

Sith Warrior storyline review: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2012/11/star-wars-old-republic-sith-warrior.html

Sith Inquisitor storyline review: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2013/09/star-wars-old-republic-sith-inquisitor.html

ONTO THE LIGHT SIDE!

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am hoping it sticks to Legends canon, otherwise, with the RPG referencing everything, we'll end up with four universes...

Sent from the World

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm hoping they canonize The Old Republic but nothing else, even KOTOR.

:)

18. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    Who would you like to see mentioned again? I'm not sure I can think of 5 SWTOR characters I'd like to see again that weren't people we could kill.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I want to see Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Theron Shan, Darth Marr, and Lana Beniko again.

I would love to see some canonical Lightside Sith, too.

20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    wait what

21. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I hope not, though I originally had a lukewarm reception to SWTOR, now I'm glad that it's effectively a piece of Legends still continuing, and I'm sure they're making it fit into Legends as so far it's in a set of years that haven't been explored. Also if the Sith Empire won, I imagine it would be a temporary win before the Republic struck back. Isn't that pretty much what happened in KOTOR II, depending on the player's actions? My personal hope is that if the Sith Empire win, at some point they reform or merge with the Republic, resulting in Kuat getting those Dagger-shaped designs once more, the origin of the Moff title being made. And eventually there's another Schism between Jedi and Sith remnants - the Fourth Great Schism. Where Darth Ruin gains membership of remaining traditionalist Sith of the current Galactic War.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My hope is that the Sith Empire and Republic don't ever actually "win" over the other. That they are forced to accept the other's existence for millennium in the future.

The Sith Empire eventually collapsing on its own.

But yes, I'd love for SWTOR to be the past of the NuEU.

23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    That was probably one of the most interesting parts of TOR's setting, having two existing superpowers in uneasy co-existence, with dozens of proxy wars and encounters that could potentially spark a new war. I actually forget if any of the class stories ever showed that specific incident that restarted the war, the actual declaration of war happens off-screen for a lot of player characters (who hear about it from their quest handlers).

The old EU didn't quite have that with the post-Endor period, since the New Republic didn't that much solid territory yet, and it was mostly internal Imperial collapse that really, really helped them. And by the time the New Republic was the biggest power, none of the Imperial warlords could really challenge them, outside of the Dark Empire offensive, and the warlords were doing a great job of keeping themselves busy killing each other.

Theron is an interesting character (it is such a nice change to not just have another Jedi or Sith as a major NPC), too bad they wasted Malgus so completely. A Flashpoint boss and then that's it. Well, he was basically the post-class story content boss, but after that, gone. Well, with what they've done with Revan, you never know if Malgus will show up again, but for now the focus is back on the Sith Emperor. Though with both sides against him, I'm wondering how long until Sith backstabbing really gets out of control, though Marr is definitely against that since it is simply very, very inefficient and self-destructive. Whatever else, he's pragmatic at least.

Though I I had to keep one thing from the old EU, I'd prefer the original KotOR game to SWTOR. Actually, strike that, I'd rather keep the KoTOR comic as canon above all else. Zayne is awesome.

Vthuil, Charlemagne19 and Zorrixor like this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it boiled down to some idiot in the Sith invading Corellia.

Wookiepedia says the invasion of Voss and the efforts of Darth Baras were the real cause of the war's re-ignition, though.

25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    From memory, I think somebody during the Knight storyline announced the war had restarted after you begin the Act 2 questline, but... it's so long since I played it I don't remember.

Revanfan1 and Charlemagne19 like this.