main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, Lana's not that nice, but she's much more... pragmatic and diplomatic than most Sith. More intelligent than most too, Though neither her nor Theron are that that nice, but it depends on the situation. Theron himself is a spy so that career is often a lot... darker than what a lightside Jedi would be comfortable with. Though sometimes its a bit random whether one or both of them suggest a darkside solution. Not sure if I remember correctly, but I remember how at the end of ME1, it was kind of random what your squadmates would say- one would suggest paragon, the other renegade but forget what happened if you brought two renegade leaning squadmates.

Mostly, I think the "lightside Sith" impression is because Lana is not as... malicious as most other Sith. The Zash comparison is probably pretty accurate, just that Zash was a lot more desperate. Like on Rishi, she basically sent Theron into a trap, knew he would most likely survive (he's tough and the Revanites probably wanted him alive and he would escape eventually), but she regrets losing his trust. Basically, she probably would kick a puppy if there was a greater purpose. A lot of the other mwa-ha-ha Sith would kick a puppy just because they could.

Like at the current end of the content, she wants to rip apart Surro to get as much data on Vitiate as possible, while Theron may or may not be feeling more guilty over having sent the Sixth Line Jedi in to investigate in the first place.

So she wants the darkside option, Theron wants the lightside... and then there's a third darkside option to just kill her and end her pain. Hm, one of my characters should try that someday just to see both their reactions.

And starting to really dislike Saresh. I miss Janarus, he was nice. But then its more convenient story-wise to have a "war-monger" like Saresh to blunder into disasters or ignore the player character.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Except, Luke Skywalker uses force-lightning and so does the LS Warrior And Sith Inquisitor.

Also, I don't think a LS Sith who deserts the Empire should be necessarily lauded as better. The Sith you mention doesn't want to blow up a planet of innocents but he's clearly concerned primarily with honorable combat.

Lana and others want to protect the Sith people. But yes, she's not all-Light all round. Either way, I think LS Sith are more pragmatic than most Jedi.

Voltron64 likes this.
  3. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    So I haven't played this yet, still haven't decided whether to get SWTOR or not again. I have exams shortly, so maybe I'll finally play this in about two months or so.

My question is are these Sixth Line Jedi something akin to the Jedi Covenant? Maybe they rebranded themselves to an Eminem album title to avoid the bad PR that the Covenant name would bring them? Interesting, to say the least. How are they interacting with the Sith, even if Lana isn't the mwahahaha type that they're used to?

4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Luke used a similar application of the Force that was more on the light side. It wasn't quite force lightning. The Sith Warrior never uses lightning, but force choke instead. The Inquisitor is the one who uses that and I'd explain that as game play over story. I'd there are cutscenes where that happens than I'm going to say that's a game limitation. Also, the inquisitor's story doesn't make sense as a light sided Sith, in general. The Warriors works really well, but the inquisitor is too driven by Sith rituals. With Lana she's an NPC, and so they could have had her fight differently. Still my main argument centers around her actions themselves.

I agree. The impression I get from Lana is that she is pragmatic. She isn't going to be cruel for cuelty's sake. Sith in general shouldn't and all other sources would indicate that they would not. She will make allies and treat people well if they benefit her or the Empire. She will also sacrifice them or torture them for the same reason. Too me that's definitely dark sided. She isn't motivated by a respect for life and a desire to protect like a light sider would be. Nor is she driven by honor like we've seen with light sided Sith. She is very loyal to the Empire and her position would give her knowledge of its crimes, and thay doesn't shake her loyalty lIke with Lord Praven.. In addition she's willing to protect it at all costs, which leads to her being willing to act in cruel ways.

Also, she was totally okay with the Empire having a mechanism to slaughter Ziost's population in case of a revolt. She even defended it against Theron's disgust. Again, not a thing a light sider would do.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My take on them are they're not the Jedi Covenant, which has been remarkably absent so far from TOS, but the Prequel Jedi Generals.

"Forget all the naval gazing, just fight for the Republic and only the Republic. Bring the war to the Sith. Win it."

Kyle Katarn uses Force Lightning. As for the Inquisitor, I found their story worked very well as a LS unlike the Sith Warrior who is a ruthless warrior either way. The Inquisitor has a lot of fun being decent, honorable, and kind to everyone's STUNNED surprise. The only thing wrong with the Inquisitor's story is if you assume Sith rituals are automatically evil versus inherently neutral.

The idea of Sith not being cruel for cruelties sake goes against vast-vast swaths of the EU which establish the vast majority of the Sith are EXTREMELY cruel for cruelties sake. The fact they shouldn't be is a fact which is part of the hypocries tyhey deal with.

As for honor, I find that has nothing to do with being a LS since Sith Honor is born about conquering and destruction.

6. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    What about her actual statements? I've referenced two of them. Replay the Ziost quest line. She most definitely isn't light sided.

And from the EU I got the impression that Sith used cruelty for specific purposes, not randomly. They are calculated and very manipulative. If you look at Darth Marr, Lana, Zash, Darth Vowran, Darth Baras, you see a lot of similarities. What Lana wants to do at the end of the story is exactly what Baras did to the Republic prisoner in the prologue. Lana's loyalty to the Empire and willingness to put its interests above personal gain resembles Darth Marr. He kindness to people she needs is like Zash. And Lana is okay with slaughtering civilians if the revolt.

I'm not trying to justify the Sith or say they aren't evil. The Sith are evil. What I am saying is that Lana is also evil. She fits the mold of every Sith I think SWTOR portrays well.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, one of the Light Side decisions is killing revolting slaves quickly versus murdering them cruelly.

8. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    To me Praven always came off as partially deluded and brainwashed, since he would prefer not to kill civilians but still obeys orders. Most of the time he met Jedi only in combat, and even then he held back for the sake of "fair" combat. When the Knight spares him and offers him another chance, he takes it and realizes he had everything backwards for most of his life.

Though I've wondered about Sajin, he was a Dark Council member who defected, but when the Knight meets him, he's mostly worrying or whining about a lot of things.

The Sith Warrior as lightside is probably one of the most interesting stories since Jaesa ends up lightside or darkside (and darkside Jaesa is really crazy). Though I don't have a really darkside Warrior yet, I've seen a youtube video of him wanting his own harem too (something Vette isn't happy about).

Though both Sith stories can sort of work as lightside as everybody else tries to kill them first, so it works as just revenge or if they're simply trying to not be killed.

And yeah, Sith are all about cruelty. Its often one of their strengths and one of their greatest weaknesses, their treachery. Heck, look at swtor- supposedly they were doing pretty well in the war, but a good deal of the Dark Council is too busy killing each other to capitalize on those gains.

Voltron64 and Charlemagne19 like this.
  9. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I'm aware of that, but that doesn't involve Lana. That's poor writing, obviously both of those options are actually evil. But that has no bearing on this conversation. I'm judging Lana's character based on how she's actually written. Lana wanted to torture someone to gain information. That's actually part of who she is. Just like being okay with mechanisms for slaughtering civilians. She appears light sided on the surface, but if you listen to what she says and does, she is most definitely not light sided.

Voltron64 and Charlemagne19 like this.
  10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm just saying that there's a spectrum and I perceive her to be one of the more light-sided Sith if not directly so.

Good evidence, though, to the contrary.

JediKnight75 likes this.
  11. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I see what you are saying. I would prefer the term more restrained to more lightsided. Regardless, I think we can agree that she's a well written character and is a good addition to the game.

Thanks; this was a good discussion. :)

12. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    So something like Lord Hoth's Army of Light?

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Trooper Jedi!

They're all in for the Republic!

Take a look at these guys.

[​IMG]

14. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    Those are some pretty big guys. I love the Jedi Order (well, Republic in SWTOR) symbol on their belts.

15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I spared the traitor! I thought he might be useful so I didn't tell Lana about it, then he's gone? Will I have another chance to reveal it when Ziost is done?

Also it seems that Lana wasn't doing a good job as the Intelligence Minister, letting a traitor to be the "rising star", damn.

16. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    Don't worry, you will be able to decide her fate as Intelligence Minister later during Ziost storyline..

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    A little more detail?

I just want to know what happened to Jadus.

18. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011

IDK about Jadus, but near the end of Ziost you will be able to...
    ... force Lana to resign.{/spoiler]

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't want to do it, really.

RafSwi7 likes this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *waits for May 4th*

Sent from the World

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Same here. It's been too long since the plot last advanced.

22. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    If you care about swtor's plot, you had better get used to the glacial pace. SoR was already the most plot since launch. Makeb was mostly side story, although Forged Alliances was pretty good lead up to Revan's return.

And no offense, but honestly, you should know by now that if you have a chance to kill someone, they'll have minimal importance after that point. Probably a different email depending on your choice is usually the extent of your "choice".

I'm relatively happy we already got Ziost a "mere" five months after 3.0 launched. I wasn't expecting another Forged Alliances-type content (plot relevant) until late 2015 or 2016.

I'm curious if we'll see more of the Sixth Line Jedi after the story concludes tomorrow but I doubt it. The main swtor site had a short story focusing on them. They're a lot more... martial than most Jedi, willing to follow just about any order from the military. They were working with SIS in secret, though probably not much left of them after how badly Ziost is going for everyone.

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I did already know.

24. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Sorry, I meant that more towards Slowpokeking than you. I should remember to tag my replies more, but was just replying to the last half page in general.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, I really think they should release new story in a faster pace.