main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Old Republic Supported Political Correctness

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zinergy, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zinergy

Zinergy Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2004
    From Timetales:

After four months of protests against her, Judicial Department Personnel Director Lanyss Gutierrace is suspended for anti-alien bias in her hiring practices.
    ?Holonet News [531/55].?

Hmm... seems like political correctness was abound during the height of the Old Republic. People soon got sick of this nonsense, and turned to fascism and the ideals of the New Order. Will we soon be seeing this in real life? Does the Patriot Act lay these foundations???

2. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    There is a large difference between anti-alien bias and real life events.

3. Zinergy

Zinergy Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2004
    Do you really think so? I think that the comfort of fiction often belies the horrific truth.

4. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    I can tell that this will turn into a debate better suited for the senate.

Can fiction bely realisic truths? Yes. But it is also fiction. Created by the imagination. And also have the author's views that may taint it.

5. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Racism and it's ties to politics are still very strong in the United Statesm, on all levels. So, it's an easy thing to make a connection to, sure.

6. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    You overstate racism. We have very little. Most people barely even notice skin color. And the ones who push the issue are the ones who overstate it and push the issue. Watch Die Hard with a Vengeance. Sam Jackson's character was a perfect example of most racists today.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    And being punished for hiring humans exclusively is bad because... ?

8. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    If I hired a human over a Twi'lek even though there was no reason for me to hire the human. The Twi'lek has a clean criminal record, excellent education, and is qualified for the job. While the human has a history of stealing from his employers, and is not qualified for the position I would be speciesist. It is wrong to deny someone something they deserve due to their race or species.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, but I think you misunderstood my question; I was asking the topic starter why it is wrong to punish someone for letting their xenophobic/racist attitudes interfere with their job.

10. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    That was typed by Z and I can't speak for him. It's a touchy issue. I don't think it's right to be a speciesist but I don't think it should be illegal.

11. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Darth_Guy -- All I can think is, for exactly the same reasons we do it in the U.S., blowing the concept of free association all to hell by making it non-reciprocal. But such legislation in the U.S. exists primarily in response to a long-standing repression of various minority groups and of women. That raises an interesting question: We know that there is oppression of aliens under the New Order, but did such oppression exist in the Old Republic's past? I can see little reason for an enlightened galactic civilization to need such laws in the bright parts of the universe. Maybe on backwater or isolated planets, but as this is a governmental matter, we have little evidence as to whether such policies are in effect where every business in the galaxy is concerned or whether matters are handled at a more local level for independent employers. At any rate, Do we know of any particular sources of xenophobia, or instances of alien repression in the Republic's past that might have caused a need for such laws?

-Paul

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think it's right to be a speciesist but I don't think it should be illegal.

Perhaps for private businesses, but a government employee doing it should be totally unacceptable. Plus, she wasn't imprisoned or anything, just suspended from her job, an act that any employer should be able to take.

13. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Point, a government ought not to be able to employ unfair hiring practices, period.

So I guess the real question becomes: Is this law, or merely policy?

-Paul

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Apparently she wasn't/isn't being prosecuted, so I'd say it's just policy and/or relenting to public pressure(three months of protest).

15. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    You overstate racism. We have very little. Most people barely even notice skin color.

Do you live on Sesame Street?

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    No, can you tell me how to get to Sesame St.?

17. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I like in the South. I know what racism is. I know where it exists. You don't have to tell me how it is, I can see it for myself.

18. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Do you live on Sesame Street?

No. I live in Illinois. I also work in a community that is half white and half minority. No one really notices. In my church there are african americans and no one cares. They are treated no different. If you just drop the issue it will go away.

I like in the South. I know what racism is. I know where it exists. You don't have to tell me how it is, I can see it for myself.

*stops self from making snide remarks about "I like in the south"*

That's too bad that your communities cannot grow up and judge people for their actions and not their skin. I do know a few people who a a bit racist but only a few. Like 5 or 6 out of the hundreds of people I know.

19. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Yeah, I noticed that I made a lot of typos in this thread.

it's = its
    Statesm = States
    like = live

Happy?

Anyway, yeah I've had a few hundred meetings with racist people. It's quite sad and it was really bad in high school, I'm sorry to say. I'm not expecting it to get better in college though I hope though that it does. All you have to look at is the city here where I'm now living on campus, and suburbia where I grew up. The differences are great, despite the normal student population. Our politicians are actually pretty good here, for a big metropolitan city in the south. We've re-elected the first black city mayor for the third time or so, and just recently elected the first black county mayor. Both of them are Democrats of course, which is also a big thing for this city.

I remember outreach programs when I was younger when my dad would take me to . . . the projects and help build houses and deliver food baskets. I remember getting funny looks, even as a little child, even though we were helping people. The people running around the the Confederate flag stickers amuse me the most. They don't even know that they have the wrong flag pasted onto the back of their pick-up trucks. That's the confederate battle flag, the Stars and Bars was used more often and was the offical flag of the Confederacy.

I just don't understand this world, where known racists can still win in some elections and where the black vote still barely even counts, if at all. *cough*Florida2000*cough* Excuse me.

How did this get so off topic? I'm sorry.

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Cloak of Deception

The grand statues of Core founders outside the Senate Complex. All human, despite aliens far outweighing their human-class peers.

21. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    I wasn't really critizing your spelling Wedge88 I was thinking that instead of "I live in the south where there is lots of racism." it could come across as a mistyped "I like it in the south where there is lots of racism." I myself mistype a lot and it sometimes comes out wrong. Example: Thrawn and Pellaeon were great bed guys.(I actually said that. [face_sick]

On the confederate flag. I know lots of people who have those on their trucks. (There is a big difference between southern and northern Illinois) That isn't a racist gesture. That is a rebellion gesture. And it's disgusting that they are making a fuss over it. Esp. considering that the Civil War was about states' rights not slavery. (granted slavery was one of those rights but it was more about unfair tariffs and taxes and the restrictions on expansion for their way of life)

22. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    You're right there, for the most part. It's still likely that the hicks around here who ARE racist have that symbol displayed with passion.

I even had a phase in my freshman year where I thought the ideals of the Confederacy, on paper, sounded really cool; local government above the federal government and all. But then I got into AP American History and Government classes and discovered that it makes no sense whatsoever. I mean, that's what the Articles of Confederation were about and there is a reason we threw those out and wrote the Constitution.

Plus in the end they were all just selfish traitors. I guess that's the American spirit though. Get what you want through violence. No taxes, bye bye Britain. States rights, bye bye Federalism.

It's one thing to protest the workings of the government, it's another to violently rebel (and yeah, it's true that the Union is the one that pushed the war. They had no choice though. And Federal forts had been openly attacked).

And I think Illinois is pretty different from how things are down here. I mean, my parents are Chicago natives and we still go up there a lot. From my experiance it's like a whole nother world. I'm sure it has it's bad areas, but it does seem more like you describe it than how it is down here.

Okay, time to forcefully push this beast back on course:

"I was asking the topic starter why it is wrong to punish someone for letting their xenophobic/racist attitudes interfere with their job."

I don't understand this comment. It's the purpose of justice officials to interpret the laws and ensure that all necissary punishments and protections are set in place. They are special because they often rely on their own person interpretions of the laws, but that doesn't mean that if there is a law that states that hiring based on species is agaisnt the law they can't go and do that themselves.

23. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It's a large problem than most people give it credit for.

Ashland, KY is a city that has the entirety of the black population in the region for the reason that the countryside outside is actually controlled by the Ku Klux Klan. A dead organization my ***.

Skin color is still an issue here because, frankly, its an issue of tribalism and people need someone to blame whose in the immediate vicinity and an enemy.

You know there's something wrong when a cross is burned in your boyscout camp as a warning to bringing 'coloreds' into the region.

A great deal of the belief racism has healed is the fact that many don't go out into the country to see beyond what cities and "cosmopolitan" folk believe. Ashland I used to think backward and like Mayberry.

I found out that there's a substantial gay population with many reaching out to the country folk who may feel frightened.

In any case, the Confederate flag actually means a great deal to many down here in the South and the irony is that more people defend it because it means different things. The attacks on it, only strengthen the ties of movements that might otherwise hate each other

Even I admit a hatred for the Federal Government and everything it stands for. I totally disagree with the above poster and am still waiting for a fufillment of the Reagan promise that Big government was the problem.

Many feel betrayed by their government and desire a loss of Federal taxes, Federal agencies, and Federal influence into education as well as handling their way of life.

Others feel it as a way of honoring the South and protesting Northern cosmopolitianism that harms the religious beliefs along with militaristic feel still supported by many down here.

They romanticize the South as essentially a reincarnated chivalric age. You haven't seen strange until you've met the Black Confederate movement that states that barring slavery, a seperate South would have been preferrable to the lies of the North.

Even further are those who are racist and see the Confederacy as a race war against the enemy. Many folk who were sorry to see Apartheid in South Africa go.

24. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    To correct the initial post, that is not an example of Political Correctness.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.