main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR The Old Republic Timeline Video Discussion Thread - Rebirth of the Sith Empire

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Sinrebirth , Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    This is the Old Republic Timeline Video Discussion Thread, discussing the Timeline entries made by Master Gnost-Dural.

So far we have had 5 entries, all using the time notation 'Before the Treaty of Coruscant', and one depicting the moment of the Treaty.

ATC 0 - The Treaty of Coruscant

BTC 7- The Mandalorian Blockade is Broken

BTC 8 - The Return of the Mandalorians

BTC 14 - The Empire Changes Strategy

BTC 18 - The Battle of Bothawui

BTC 28 - Onslaught of the Sith Empire

BTC 103 - Peace for the Republic?

BTC 303 - The Jedi Civil War

BTC 311 - The Mandalorian Wars

BTC 347 - The Exar Kun War

BTC 1251 - Rebirth of the Sith Empire

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "Then our allies turned on us"

Okay. I wasn't the only guy whose first thought leapt to "TIME LORDS!" at the two guys in the background, right? :p

I love the shot of the Sith Lord overlooking the Valley of the Dark Lords.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    My one beef with the last video was Belkaden. Sernpidal and Ruuria made some sense, but not Belkaden, as it didn't appear to have had any evidence of government. Sernpidal, at least, was a part of Revan's Sith Empire... I hope we see Sernpidal, if we were going to see any of those three.

I am ridiculously looking forward to the retcons of the Exar Kun War, for some reason. [face_blush]

4. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm not remotely big on planetary continuity.

It'll certainly be interesting. Though I maintain that no retcons - as in the "changing of events" - are actually needed. It's a simple matter to shoehorn in an extra period, even an extended period, of time between Ulic's rescue from Coruscant and Mandalore revealing Aleema's treachery. You just need to assume that it took Indomitable a few months to put together irrefutable evidence.

But, uh, if you're referring exclusively to retcons to do with the Sith Emperor... then, yes, I agree -- I'm looking forward to/mildly dreading seeing what happens in that regard.

5. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I think it'll be nothing more than what we 'assumed' was Marka Ragnos is revealed to actually be the Sith Emperor speaking to Kun and Ulic, myself. But we'll see. I imagine he recruits Sith during the time period, otherwise. There might be some more info about his efforts in the Mando War, too, I also expect.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Which would actually make a GREAT DEAL MORE SENSE than the original Marka Ragnos retcon. Honestly, when a sourcebook is making judgement calls on identity based on a guy's headdress as opposed to the text's description of him (the reigning Dark Lord in the period following Sadow) you know something's gone wrong.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Exactly so. It will just be something the Sith Emperor left behind, in anticipation. When everything comes together, he nudges along the Mandalorians, then grabs Revan and etc. I didn't recall that exact quote, mind you. I might have to check TotJ as that is a golden quote. :D

8. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I'm somewhat with Sinrebirth about the Belkadan thing though its a minor thing for me. Really, everything says that Belkadan was just a remote world that was not inhabited til roughly NJO era where it became a facility for ExGal but meh. Its really amazing how the Sith strategy seems similar to the Yuuzhan Vong's in the NJO era, down to infiltration of worlds as well as turning them against the Republic. But anyway, can't wait to see who this Sith Emperor is - someone new or someone we know?

9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I actually would like it to be Naga Sadow, considering the fluff around his death/survival following stasis/spirit survival something or other. Especially as he's being built up as a half-decent villain in the newest material.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Naga Sadow FTW. :cool:

I've been awaiting his return since... the 90's? Good grief.

BTW, I finally got around to watching this newest video. Are those dudes that Gnost says "switched sides" wearing Sunset-Crown-esque headgear? Like Shadowspawn?

11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    No. They're Time Lords. [face_not_talking]

12. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Doesnt fluff say though that he got killed by Freedon Nadd? Wouldnt mind if it was Sadow personally since he is one of the few actual Sith Lords that survived in the aftermath of the Great Hyperspace War.

However, having said that, wasnt it said that the Sith forces made a blind jump into the Unknown Regions where they managed to recover before slowly moving back to Sith Space? Sadow was on Yavin 4 at the time so he couldnt have been with the remnant Sith that survived the war. My understanding that these true Sith had their Emperor with them when they fled. He might have crowned himself after the loss of the empire and said "well no one else is here so I guess I'm the emperor now!" :p

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The spirit talking to them has one of the most memorable quotes in the EU, figured they wanted to give Marka something to back up his cred ;)

14. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Aha! Someone agrees with me! I brought this up in the Lit thread and everyone was like, "it's no big deal, no one cares about it."

I liked the video with the puppet Mandalore, I wished they could have had him around for longer (say, into the timeframe of the game). He seemed like a pretty interesting story.

15. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Yeah, although I'm not 100% buying IGN's reporting on this one...on the other hand...it'd be a huge crying shame to waste the recent efforts (like Crosscurrent and Lost Tribe) to retcon Sadow into someone reasonably competent.

Even the Freedon Nadd stuff can be made to work around his survival, IMO. Still...torn.

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Considering we only have, I think, IU, Freedon Nadd's word? But, we can see, I guess. Oh, I don't buy IGN's report at all, but indeed, with regards to the new material.

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It was confirmed a few months ago that the Sith Emperor isn't Naga Sadow.

What spirit? [face_mischief]:p

Supplementary materials aside, there is no spirit involved in the annointing of Exar Kun and Ulic. The very idea that they were annointed by a spirit is a retcon in itself. What we witness, and what is described, is an ancient Dark Lord fighting his own battles against the Jedi who, from his own time, delivers a message through the amulets and interacts with another time.

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Flow-walking? Eh...

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Pretty close, at any rate. In fact, it meshes surprisingly well with how Jacen's flow-walks into the future and "fixing" things are handled in DNT.

And, when viewed in that light, it becomes a billion times cooler. The Sith know they're going to lose, so they're ensuring their return is inevitable.

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It's interesting, isn't it? It's also quite concerning. Is it a good thing that the Sith fixed the future, plot-wise? :p

But, it's also very cool, yes. :cool:

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, whatever, it's still an awesome line :p

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Touché. :)

23. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Except that it's Marka Ragnos who anoints them, and he died just before the Great Hyperspace War. He might be reaching to them through time instead of having existed as a as a spirit until 3997 BBY and called forth then, but he is either doing his "time travel" as a spirit from the time of the Sith defeat in 4990 BBY, or from time before his own death. It might be a retcon, but that's how it is for now.

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_laugh]

So, you saw me pointing out that Marka Ragnos as the Dark Lord who annoints Ulic/Exar, and the Dark Lord being a spirit, were retcons/mistakes - which in itself implies I'm more than aware of how continuity currently stands - and you butt in to say, ""Yes, but it's how it stands even if it's a retcon".

No **** Sherlock.

[face_golfclap]

Just to reclarify:

Though, reconciling all of it isn't impossible, given that Marka Ragnos can body hop. [face_devil]

25. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Thanks for that. Just what I needed (and perhaps deserved). I leave you to do your "golfclaps".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.