main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR The Old Republic Timeline Video Discussion Thread - Rebirth of the Sith Empire

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Sinrebirth , Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm tempted to take bets as to when this next video is going to be released. [face_laugh]

2. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    1o credits on any time in the next 6 months. :p

Interesting how it is recorded that the manuver of the Emperor's forces (in the most recent vid) is the single greatest planned manuver so far. This could possibly suggest some Revan influence, although I'm not very familular with the history around this point.

Oh and I agree about the time lords btw. [face_laugh]

Also, as a general comment, I'm liking how bioware has managed to give us an 'older', historical feel to the designs of clothing, armour, transport and other such things. I was a little skeptical at first when seeing the designs of Jedi wearing armour over/under their robes, but they've done a really good job with making the period feel like it occurs before the Saga itself.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Peace for the Republic?

This is an exceptionally interesting video (at last). This Sith Emperor is being exceptionally precise. Taking out even his Sith opponents. Naga Sadow was an excellent little continuity nod.

This baddie might be worth fearing at long last. :cool:

4. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    What do you guys think of the pic of the Star Forge at the end; and they also stated his father and grandfather visited Korriban... but man, I hope he has nothing to do wit Revan, because Revan is a beast and this guy (the Sith-in-disguise) already pisses me off lol.

5. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I assume the appearance of the Star Forge is a reference to the next video.

I doubt this particular Infiltrator is related to Revan, not with Revan already having descendants on the Jedi side, (though of course I could be wrong). But it may be that we'll have Revan placed in the 'Sith Infiltrator' class, though of course we'll all root for him to be a light Sith Infiltrator...

6. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    How long after Sith Lords does TOR take place? How long before ANH? When does Knight Errant take place in relation to TOR?

Just watched the timeline trailer... game looks pretty sweet. That music really sold it, along with some cool art and a great voice-over. The vehicle and soldiers do look a little Clone Wars, but it looks pretty fun in any case.

7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Sith Lords - 3951 BBY
    ToR - 3,623 BBY
    Knight Errant - 1,032 BBY
    ANH - 0 ABY

Hopefully that'll cover your questions. [face_peace]

Generally...

5000 BBY - Great Hyperspace War
    4000 BBY to 3951 BBY - Old Sith Wars
    3681 BBY to 3653 BBY - Great War
    3653 BBY to 3623 BBY - Cold War
    2000 BBY to 1000 BBY - New Sith Wars

Which is more or less Sith history...

8. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    I really thought that this timeline was the most interesting. It really had me at the edge of my seat. I honestly think this particular story would make a great SW comic. It was really that engaging to me.

The idea that some Jedi Knights were actually undercover Sith to me is an awesome idea and as far as I know hasn't been done in Star Wars yet. we've had fallen Jedi go to the Sith, but Sith posing as Jedi and not being caught for centuries...that's crazy!

I love how Naga Sadow is getting some love even before his actual timeline entry...now if we could just get a good game set in c.5,000 BBY...

9. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    With this new sequence of events, and those that were recently unveiled in FotJ, it looks as if we're due to get a lot of pretty unique interactions between Jedi and Sith. Which is really refreshing. And really exciting!

10. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    yeah, Star Wars has been needing new plot devices and concepts for some time.

11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    BTC 303 - The Jedi Civil War

A good trailer, methinks. Malak should be taller, though. Not much we didn't know, but an interesting spin on the Sith Lord we all love... [face_skull]

12. Corpseslayer

Nov 6, 2009
    Awesome. Plain and simple. I'll post the rest of my thoughts later.

13. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Yeah, but retconning Malak and Revan as pawns of the Sith Emperor just seems "off" for some reason. I guess it's not too surprising but it's just not how I interpreted the events of KotOR.

14. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Yeah, same here. But that would be my only complaint, and it's just a minor adjustment.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    They haven't been retconned as pawns.* They've been retconned as intended pawns who decided to do their own thing. The fact is that they didn't use the Star Forge to accelerate the Emperor's plans, they used it to construct their own forces and attempt to take over the galaxy for themselves -- not on his behalf.

I mean, Revan returned to the known galaxy as the "Dark Lord of the Sith". That's a direct challenge to the Emperor's authority in itself and I imagine that KotOR II's revelations that Revan was preparing for a massive battle against the hidden Empire (though back then it was just the 'unknown threat') stand.

* Unless, of course, the Emperor knew full well the pair would betray him and attempt to sieze power for themselves, and it was all a huge ploy to create a giant "Sith lightning rod" in Revan, Malak and the Revanchist Sith that would preoccupy the galaxy and further obsfucate the truth of their existence.

16. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Was it just me or did Revan's armour (besides his mask) look like something that Starkiller wore in TFU?

He even held his lightsaber the same way as Starkiller.:p

17. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    I noticed that too, Calo. I love the artwork for the Holorecords. It was nice seeing a recap of what went down before/during KOTOR.

18. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    There's one problematic thing with the Emperor wanting the Star Forge for himself: Why didn't he take it after it was found? Revan and Malak found it in 3960-3959 BBY and the Emperor just watched by and let them build up their forces until 3956 BBY when it went KA-BOOM! When he hadn't acted by then to take it for himself, when did he plan to take control of it? It's not like there would have been any more auspicious moment coming, as the Revanchist Sith Empire was growing stronger by the day. Of course, Republic was becoming weaker, but surely the Emperor wouldn't be as altrustic as to let the "wrong" Sith Empire to win?

It's not like Revan and Malak could have kept the Star Forge's location secret from the Emperor - large amounts of their top level underlings must have known where it was (capturing one of them and making him talk by Revan and his group would have made invalid the whole re-finding them quest in KOTOR too, naturally) and Revanchist Sith fleet's movements could have given some idea alone where it was. Plus, it's not like the Sith Emperor couldn't have infiltrated the ranks of the Revanchist Sith with his own minions.

That said, one might ask why didn't the Sith Empire try to attack the Republic in 3951 BBY? At least secretly, they could have tried to finish what the Sith Triumvirate had started when it comes to the Jedi... Just a handful of Jedi to kill.

No TOR naturally :) then, but I hope there is a convincing explanation, even if it's just Revan and the Exile doing to the Sith Emperor's plans what unions did for the Death Star according to George Lucas himself, delaying the construction of the Sith forces.

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    It's possible that the coordinates of the Rakata system were a closely guarded secret just like the location of the Rebel bases were during the Galactic Civil War. Probably only high-ranking officers knew where it was, and even then they'd have to delete the coordinates from the ship's computer whenever they jumped there. It would also mean that the Sith fleet would not maintain a large presence within the system, and ships would not travel there unless they had a very good reason to.

As for the Sith Emperor not taking action while Revan and Malak were out and about....maybe it's because 1,000 years prior to TOR he didn't have that strong of a force himself yet?

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Rouge77: I assume that Revan/Malak didn't let anyone leave the Star Forge, and, to why the Emperor never attacked - we already know the answer; Revan and the Exile went to Drommund Kaas and crushed his Sith Empire into dust...

I imagine that the Emperor anticipated exactly what would happen; remember what the Star Forge did originally - it destroyed the Rakata. Revan would have only eventually lost control of the Forge and been defeated either way... the Sith Emperor, as Uli puts it, handed Revan a poisoned chalice. And Revan knew that - but Malak didn't.

21. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Don't forget, Lehon's Rakata Temple has a disruptor field. Taking the idea that Revan was playing double agent with the Emperor, and planning on using the Star Forge against the Sith, if the Emperor were to come to Lehon, Revan and Malak would only need to activate the dirsuptor field and crash land his ship.

22. Corpseslayer

Nov 6, 2009
    You mean Jedi...

23. Corpseslayer

Nov 6, 2009
    What do you mean???

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Remember, Revan did not want to rely upon the Star Forge. It was dangerous, and was connected to the Rakata losing control of the Force and their subsequent defeat. If Revan had overused the Forge, he would have been destroyed, and his Sith Empire would have imploded - as it did after Malak took control, because it relied on the Forge.

Read that way, the Sith Emperor had no intention of allowing Revan to create his own Sith Empire. He wanted it to weaken the Republic and then die off. Which it did, albeit not as neatly as he had hoped, I imagine - thus his own invasion was delayed three centuries...

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I have a question, do you guys know if the timeline videos with all the art be released in next year MMO? Will all the art that appears on the swtor site also appear? Man I would really love to own this stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.