main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~*The Oldbies Writing Guild*~ *2001 and Before*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Miana Kenobi, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Well the first week of school is finally over. It was hectic and hot (none of our highschool rooms are air-conditioned unless they are filled with computers) but the school is great and most of the students are really nice which is a huge bonus!

YAY!

Kithera

2. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Glad the first week went well for you. :) I wish it were hot up here in the Northern Hemisphere. :p And nice students are always a plus. What do you teach, Kit?

3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I teach English, Communication English, History and Society and Community Studies. So a pretty interesting mix. I'm not an actual trained English teacher (my areas are History and World Religion), but I think that they think - because you can teach, you can teach English :p

Kithera

4. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    ::shudder:: Students. It takes a strong constitution to deal with them and not go mad. But then there's the school board to contend with ... Hopefully Australia's got a better set-up than in the States!

5. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    What exactly is communication English? Is that like writing memos and emails for a business? Yuck. :p You should make them all pick a fandom and write fan fiction as an assignment.

6. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    That's kind of what I'm thinking too, Musical, or it's like the US version of mass communications.

Ok, here's a dumb question that the board FAQ was not sufficient in answering: How does an author unlock her fic thread? The FAQ says the author can unlock the topic, but it doesn't say how.

7. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Go to the first post and click Edit Message. Then, unclick the box on the left-hand side that says Locked Topic.

8. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    That's pretty much it :p I always get Leona to unlock my topics :p

English Communication is basically the English you do when you don't want to do English (but have to as it is a compulsory subject). We don't look at Shakespeare or 'old fashioned' work and generally it's much easier the proper English subjects as either the students aren't up to scratch or they just can't be bothered (more of the later really). I like it, but I can already see how much of a challenge it is going to be actually getting these guys to work. A lot of it is just analysing media, doing resumes and job applications, writing articles and journals - basic stuff like that.

Kithera

9. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Thanks! :)

Kit, at least writing resumes and letters serves a purpose, unlike algebra ... ;)

Joy, today I got the last of my W-2's, so now I can do my taxes. Very, very excited, I am. It's sad, but I've never done my own. Since I was a dependent, my stuff was just lumped in with Mum's, and she's had someone else do them the past few years because of a side business. Part of me wants to do them myself, and other part is considering using a tax service so I don't make a mistake (but, of course, I have to pay them ...)

Who here does their taxes, or hire someone else to do it??

10. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    TurboTax. File on-line. I love it. It's easy. Just ask your mum for the paperwork from last year so you have it on-hand for reference.

SPeaking of which, I got my last info on fri. Need to go do mine and get it done early.

11. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    My dad is a CPA, so he does mine. However, I believe he uses TaxCut, if I'm not mistaken. I think most of the software is pretty good, and they update it every year.

12. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Just filed tonight. :) Used TaxAct.

13. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I haven't done my own return in years. I pay someone else to save me the headache.

I had dinner with Miana last night. Hope you made it home in good time.

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I surpsingly did! I was all excited to actually be home by 9pm, have no homework, and be able to go to bed before 11pm and get lots of sleep!

And ended up going to bed at 2 anyways. [face_tired]

But it was great seeing you again! [:D]

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    THat is wicked cool. There are many people around here I'd love to meet.

16. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I've met a few of the locals here at BayCon. It's neat. :)

17. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I've met the bulk of my online buddies at C3 and C4. I've met a few outside of cons when I've vacationed in other areas. It is fun meeting others.

18. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    Jem and Calam for me. They rock! :D Funnily enough, they're some of the farthest away and they're the only ones I've met in person.

19. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I haven't met anyone from Fan Fic. :( See, this is why the Celebration conventions need to come back to Indy. :p

20. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I froze at C3 and ended up getting sick from standing outside for hours. Still I got to meet a lot of people, only one that was from Indiana though.

21. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I say ya'll take the same three weeks off in Earyl AUgust and camp out in my back yard in beautiful Vancouver BC. Big house, hot and cold running showers, and cookies 24/7 (and when it rains, soup).

Yes, I just invited 50 people I've never seen irl to my house. Come kill me, you maniacs! Anywho...

/wave

hiya ya'll. How are things?

22. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I don't know if I should even technically be allowed to post here--it's been three years since I posted any fanfic. I'm about to start a new one, though (betas wanted!). Will you accept me back into your ranks? ;)

Name: Hannah
    When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: 2001, because Fanfix.com closed and Fanfiction.net just wasn't as nice of a place.
    Favorite characters to write: Jaina Solo, Jagged Fel, and my OCs.
    Favorite classic JC story: That awesome Episode I rewrite, Duel of the Fates.
    Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Melyanna.
    First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: My first story not posted here was an Episode II treatment that was written before I even saw Episode I. That would have been sometime in '99; I could look it up and find out exactly when but I don't ever want to see any part of that story again. Awful, awful, awful. My first JC story was Refuge, 5/10/01, and I can still stand to read parts of it now and then, though it's far from my best work.
    Reason for sticking around?: Umm, I didn't? I got distracted by many other things, though I always missed the people here... Now I'm back 'cause I have a plot bunny (actually one I'm resurrecting from long ago) and this is still the best place to post fics. It's lovely to see you all again.

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Amidolee, after reading your post of doing your taxes, I went ahead and used TaxAct myself. Haha, much easier than I expected and as mine are simple, much chea[er to do this way. Thanks dear! [:D]

I still feel pangs of longing for C4 and those I got to meet there. So many fanficcers and JCCers, it was just heaven.

Welcome back Sticks!!

24. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Welcome back, Sticks! The nice thing is, we'll always take you back here. ;)

Careful what you offer, Derisa... I have free time in May and June, and BC sounds like a nice place. :p Plus cookies 24/7 is hard to pass up!

I'll make it to a convention one of these days. I just hope everyone else goes too.

25. Amidolee

Jan 8, 2000
    No prob, Leona! The only 'snag' I had was when I selected to take the software cost out of my refund and THEN some bank wanted to charge twice as much to do so, so I just back clicked until I could select to pay for the software with a debit card, no worries. 8-}

Musical, we'll wind up at the Convention We Finally Get to But No One Else Showed Up (CWFGBNOESU - not exactly a catch acronym. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.