Before The One Above - (Qui/Obi) - *Complete*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi Force Ghost

star 4
    Title: The One Above
    Author: P_A
    Timeframe: What else? JA.
    Characters: Obi and Qui and a few other tiny ones.
    Genre: Fluff? A little humour.
    Keywords: Hair
    Summary: A certain jedi Master learns that harbouring pathetic lifeforms isn't always a good thing.
    Notes: Written in a silly moment. Started out as a challenge entry for the Qui-Gon hair challenge, but as usual, it grew too big. Just two parts, though.

Note 2: For Diane and Layren. :D

Part I

Life had a way of clinging tenaciously to what it touched. That was survival, of course. The only way to ensure that life went on. Even if it meant injuring another, and sucking the very life blood out of them. It was unfair to the one whose resources were being made use of in such a callous way ? but then, it all came back to that paramount issue ? survival.

?How many have you killed??

?Seven.?

?Good grief.?

Silence.

?And the latest??

?Ten.?

?I cannot believe that.?

In answer, Obi-Wan released his handhold, snaked his hand around Qui-Gon?s considerably broad shoulders and brought his thumb almost under the master?s nose. ?This is the eleventh.?

Qui-Gon inspected the tiny, wriggling organism for an instant. Before he could think of an appropriate response, however, Obi-Wan withdrew his hand, placed a nail on top of the wriggling insect, and squished it. It burst with a satisfying pop.

Qui-Gon?s expression was carefully non-committal, but it did not require Obi-Wan?s Force sense to know that he was uneasy.

?Must you dispose of it in quite that way??

?How else would you wish me to dispose of it?? Obi-Wan?s question was purely rhetorical, it was obvious.

?I would have suggested ? letting it loose elsewhere.?

?And have it crawl back into your hair, I suppose?? There was something very like a sly smile edging Obi-Wan?s voice. Qui-Gon turned his head to look at him, but his padawan?s face was as expressionless as his own. He drew a deep breath.

?I suppose I must bear with this torture until the next meal hour??

?Until I am certain that your hair is free of every single little blood-sucking insect that has no right to be there.? Obi-Wan?s voice was remarkably firm.

?Padawan, there is no need to be quite that thorough,? Qui-Gon suggested, a tiny twinge of misgiving flaring up again. ?I feel a lot more comfortable now, I assure you.?

In answer, Obi-wan promptly stopped his ministrations. They sat still a moment or two, Qui-Gon a little puzzled, Obi-Wan seemingly patient. At the end of two minutes, Qui-Gon?s right hand crept up to his hair, which hung in long, silky chestnut swathes down to his shoulders. His forefinger paused somewhere along his earlobe. It descended slowly behind it, as though seeking a place to settle.

And scratched. Hard.

Obi-Wan released a deep sigh and resumed operations, while Qui-Gon simply closed his eyes, unwilling to acknowledge the merriment that flickered through their bond.

?Must you be quite so cheerful??

?A padawan always serves his or her master with a cheerful disposition, willing to do his or her duty and follow??

?Brat.?

He could feel Obi-Wan suppress a chuckle. Closing his eyes, he ignored his scalp tingling as Obi-Wan renewed his brushing, remembering the evening before, that had led to this insect-destruction episode: they had been attending a small, select dinner hosted by one of Coruscant?s elite, who, naturally being connected with several important senators, insisted on the Jedi being represented there as well. It being a common practice of the Council to despatch that team which most detested such occasions to these events, it had fallen on Jedi master Qui-Gon Jinn and his padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi to attend said dinner, listen to various inane speeches, silly titters, well placed, albeit spicy gossip, slightly malicious sentiments expressed by one or other of the parties, while themselves maintaining a seriously aloof air as befitting two dignifi
  2. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]Poor Qui-Gon, pathetic lifeforms aren't always useful are they? :D [face_laugh] I really needed that laugh Princess! Thanks so very much for it!
  3. LuvEwan Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_laugh]

The beginning had me worried there. Sounded like they were being a little too casual about killing things, until it's revealed the victims are insects. :D

I really loved the atmosphere and the conversations. It was all very realistic and unique, especially the part about Qui-Gon and other guests trying to figure out how to take leave of the long party. ;)

Did it perhaps affect only Jedi? No, Obi-Wan seemed normal. Well, as normal as was possible. Was it only Jedi with brown hair? How horrifying.

[face_laugh] That whole section was so funny, so Qui-Gon. Sigh... I [face_love] your stories so much. Can't wait for more.
  4. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I must say Qui-Gon took his infestation rather well...at least at first.

Great beginning, I look forward to part 2

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  5. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    [face_laugh] Now that is JUST what I needed today! =D=
  6. ___Sithspawn___ Jedi Knight

star 3
    Cute and fluffy, like a kitten.

Those little buggers are stubborn, though. I once had lice and they kept coming back. Oh, and did I mention that I had waist-length hair?
  7. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I could just picture him scratching his hair and having it sticking out all over - just like an Ewok's. Little buggers. My kids had lice and it was tedious and annoying to get them all out and then they'd catch it again at school. I assume the blue-haired aide had the bugs since her hair was close to Qui-Gon's.

Very cute. I look forward to the rest of it.
  8. obi-gonjinn Force Ghost

star 1
    =D= [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    that was brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!
    just reading it made my head itch [face_laugh]
    invasion of the head lice [face_laugh]
    I cant wait for more that was fantastic [face_laugh]
    =D= @};-
    my brother just said he would be having dreams of jedi levtating nits tonight[face_laugh]
  9. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Ewwww and [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]!!!

Only two posts??? Darn!! Still this is quite exquisite as all your JA's are. [face_love]
  10. Ara-gon Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ah, Princess, but I love how you write those two.

The "electrified Ewok" line was priceless!

Eagerly looking forward to the rest . . .
  11. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    Totally lovely as always - I just love the interaction you put in your stories.

I [face_love]
  12. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LOL, that was just what I needed today!
  13. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    I loved the opening about the tenacity of life.:D And Qui-Gon not wanting to kill the little critters. Obi-Wan was much more practical about it, though messy. Aaaah, and that was such a lovely image of Qui-Gon so vigorously scratching is head. [face_mischief]

But I wonder just who was carrying the bugs in the first; it was supposed to be a high class party. The host would be mortified, I think.
  14. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    The bad thing would be if everyone there with long hair was now harboring insects that made their heads itch...That would be a Jedi PR nightmare.

Great start.

Loved it.
  15. Princess_Arulmozhi Force Ghost

star 4
    Layren: :D Thanks, dear. Glad you enjoyed it.

LE: Thanks. Yeah, I put in that part about killing things to bring in some confusion. [face_mischief] Wow, thanks. :D

KELIA: He did, didn't he? :D Part 2 coming up.

VaderLVR64: A little laugh always helps. [:D] Thanks!

___Sithspawn___ : :eek: Waist length?! Whoa. Mine is only to the middle of my back and I have problems. Thankfully, they're vanquished. :D Yeah, little buggers, itch like crazy.

Thanks for the reply. :)

dianethx: Thanks, m'lady. Glad you liked. I was afraid it might be too ultra-cute. Or icky. :D

obi-gonjinn: "levitating nits!" [face_laugh] That's some image. Thanks for reading. :D

Healer_Leona: Thank you, dear one.

Ara-gon: Thank you. More coming up.

Valairy_Scot: Thanks. :D

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi: Thank you. [face_blush]

ardavenport: Lovely image. Endearing as well. :D As for the hosts ... our intrepid duo made good their escape before catching his reactions. :D Thanks, Anne.

hyperspace_police: Lol, a nightmare! 8-}

Thanks for reading!

Part II

Obi-Wan preserved a discreet silence on their way to the Temple, for which Qui-Gon was manifestly thankful.

No matter the hour, sky-lanes and air-taxis were perpetually crowded in Coruscant. Lights flashed across their faces and pathways zipped by, their colours obscure in the too-brilliant night lights. Obi-wan usually closed his eyes on such occasions ? Coruscant?s night-scene had lost its lustre for him, in recent times. The fact that they were Jedi provided them with some privacy, something they appreciated frequently, on their travels.

He slid open a cautious eye and gauged Qui-Gon. His master sat as he usually did, upright and hands folded within his sleeves, his hair now bound again ? but he was more than aware of his acute discomfort. He saw Qui-Gon?s fingers twitch restlessly within his robe, and a bubble of mirth rose up in him. Of all the things to suffer from ? and had he really said that Qui-Gon looked like an electrified Ewok? Good Force.

//Enjoying yourself, my young padawan?//

Obi-Wan sat up straighter at the voice within his mind. //Enormously, old master mine.// Then he darted a swift look at Qui-Gon to see if he had taken any offence. It looked like his tongue had slipped a little, twice within the space of as many hours. They might be close companions after five years together, but Obi-Wan was still discovering his master with each passing day. His perceptions had shown Obi-Wan that merely being a master?s padawan would not automatically grant him special privileges ? and earning Qui-Gon?s regard was even more difficult.

He saw a fraction of a smile tug at Qui-Gon?s mouth, and knew that his fears had been unnecessary.

//Insolent pup.//

Obi-Wan allowed himself a small smile, feeling the equivalent of a small mental ?knock?. Qui-Gon would permit him some liberties that he would allow no one.

//The Force was with us tonight, Master.//

//How so?//

//The blue-haired girl fell off the chair at the most opportune moment.//

//One must, er... seize opportunity when one has the chance, padawan.//

Obi-Wan pondered over this statement a moment, before realizing its full import. //Good grief! //

//Indeed.//

//That is manipulation, Master. Hardly following the Force?s will.//

//And how would you know that the Force did not wish me to unseat Aide Takardom?//

//That is not quite fair, Master.//

Qui-Gon?s lips twitched. //Life never is fair or unfair, Obi-Wan. It just is.//

//That, I suspect, is why it has burdened you with this ? infestation.//

//Brat. I am by no means sure that that girl was responsible.//

//Who, then? It is mortifying to carry a head full of insects, master.//

//I haven?t thought about that yet// Qui-Gon?s voice
  16. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Oh dear Force, poor Qui-Gon! I totally adored this, Princess! You're Qui/Obi banter is just wonderfully written and then the last sentence - totally wasn't expecting that at all! Excellent work! [face_laugh]=D==D==D=
  17. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh]I can just picture Mace Windu's reaction -- "It's about time you did that!" [face_laugh] I think Qui-Gon likes shocking Obi-Wan, too. That's so true that there is always something new for Obi-Wan to discover about his master, no matter how long they've been together. Hmmmm, Senator Ard's name looks familiar. ;)
  18. Musing Jedi Knight

star 2
    I decided to wait until all's complete to comment. Plus, I had cope with a sudden urge to scratch while reading... :p

I loved the different spin on Qui-Gon's penchant for "pathetic lifeforms." [face_laugh] I still prefer the puppy, though.

And the final image was so arresting - bald Qui-Gon! :eek: Wonder what Windu thought of that?

This was such a fun read, P_A!

19. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    This was adorable, through the whole thing. The bugs did remind me a little too much of the lice infections my kids would get from school and I wonder how they were able to install themselves so well on Qui-Gon's head. Love the internal banter between the two.

The end was certainly shocking. A bald Qui-Gon - say it isn't so... LOL. :eek: [face_laugh]

Great job.
  20. Dragonlady Force Ghost

star 1
    Oh, cute. In a good way. *grins* It's so nice to see our favorite team when they're not being angsty, and the image of Obi-Wan combing lice out of Qui-Gon's head is just too funny.
  21. ___Sithspawn___ Jedi Knight

star 3
    [face_plain]...[face_laugh]

What an unexpected ending. So much for Qui-Gon's dignity.

Did I ever mention that I love everything you write?
  22. Princess_Arulmozhi Force Ghost

star 4
    Layren: Thank you, m'dear. So glad you enjoyed it - and the last line. ;) That was the effect I aimed for.

ardavenport: Lol, Mace and Qui-Gon would have had a short staring match. Hmm, maybe that deserves a small snippet altogether[face_mischief]. Senator Ard's name looks familiar?! How? I don't recall anything. :D

Thanks, Anne.

Musing: Thanks, my Muse. :D Mace must have thought he'd gone momentarily ... crazy. :pAnd I hope you've escaped the effect of the itches. ;)

dianethx: The luscious master will stay bald only as long as it serves his purpose, so rest assured, m'lady. [face_laugh] I'm sure it would give everyone a shock if he did decide to wander around that way. Glad you liked. Thanks!

Dragonlady: Lol, thanks. Glad you could drop in.

___Sithspawn___: That is so sweet of you. [face_blush] Thank you ever so much!
  23. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    That was so captivating, lovely, and wonderful as always. Sheer perfection!

And the last line! [face_love] [face_laugh]

That was just a totally perfect way to end this. I bow before you.
  24. Princess_Arulmozhi Force Ghost

star 4
    Valairy_Scot: :D That was so sweet of you. Thanks! [:D]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.