main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The One Canon - the Legends Defence Force - From Endor to Jakku - Legends friendly timeline is up!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 20, 2015.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

The canons are separate on my shelves. First came the EU/Legends, then the New Canon.

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I have completely separate bookcases for them. But that's mainly because I have no room on my Legends shelves :p

3. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Same here. Legends takes up an entire bookcase and one and a half shelves on the other.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Alright. Part 2 has been ready for some time, but did anyone have any questions about part 1 before I move on to 5 ABY to 25 ABY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I assume this means the Thrawn campaign will take place earlier?

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Exactly so.

If you read the Thrawn Trilogy in conjunction with the Atlas and guide to Warfare, you realise that Thrawn was acting within New Republic space as a rogue for three months and the full Empire was revealed to be on-board for one month. That's it, and as such for the first three months the Empire can be complying with the Galactic Concordance.

Even during the Zsinj arc, it's five months where the Empire is taking a step back and it can feasibly be following the treaty for that timeframe.

The peace is often described in the new works as uneasy, which can be accounted for by breaches of the treaty until the Empire signs up to stricter regulations under the Bastion Accords. Of course even under the old canon the Deep Core keeps fighting for six more years and everyone considers the war to be over - the logic carries over to a combined canon for other time periods during the Galactic Civil War.

7. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Double post!

Part 2! From 5 ABY to 25 ABY, remembering everything has been pulled forward roughly four years.

One month after the Concordance - the Bacta War against Iceheart comes to an end, and the hunt for Zsinj begins when he strikes a Bacta convoy at Alderaan. Over the next four months this results in a back and forth and Zsinj oversteps when he steals a Super Star Destroyer from
    Kuat, and the Empire declares war on him, and joins the New Republic in doing so, albeit secretly as the peace is too fresh for the Imperial government to publicly ally. (X-wing 4 to 7)

Five months after the Concordance - the Battle of Dathomir occurs, killing Zsinj and decapitating the regime, and the Concordance is breached by the Empire as it attacks Zsinj's territory, shortly coming into direct conflict with the New Republic. In retaliation the New Republic confiscates several sectors, including Kuat and Anaxes. The Pentastar Alignment, Cuitric Hegemony, Federated Teradoc Union and Drommel sign the Galactic Concordance after each are bruised by the seizure of the Borderlands by the New Republic, together the treaty covering, with the Empire proper, a quarter of former Imperial space. (New Essential Chronology, Atlas, Warfare)

Eight months after the Concordance - the Battle of Obroa Skai is commonly considered the true start of the campaigns of Grand Admiral Thrawn, a rogue at the time and publicly condemned by the Empire - who nonetheless secretly supplies his task force, consisting of Death Squadron. (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising)

Eleven months after the Concordance - the mainstream Empire attacks the New Republic under Thrawn, breaking the Concordance, convinced that the development of new cloaking technology, a clone army, and the seizure of much of the Katana Fleet is enough to turn the tide. A full quarter of the galaxy is seized by the Empire in a month, and the Pentastar Alignment is poised to directly intervene. Jacen and Jaina Solo are born. (Last Command)

One year after the Concordance - at the Battle of Bilbringi, the Empire is shattered and Thrawn killed, and the joint and almost simultaneous losses of Garos IV and Wayland render both the cloaking device and clone production impossible. The New Republic confiscates sectors from the Empire and strikes at several warlords, deciding to finish off the shattered Empire while it hurriedly retreats - unknowing that it's resources are fleeing into the Deep Core at the direction of a reborn Emperor. (Last Command, X-wing 8)

One year and one month after the Concordance - the Dark Empire, not a signatory of the Concordance, strikes at the New Republic, and much of the Empire, warlord and otherwise, joins the assault on the New Republic once it becomes apparent that complete victory is in their grasp. Half the galaxy falls under the control of the Empire, with much of what remains within nominal New Republic hands having been shredded by Thrawn a month ago; the New Republic becomes known as a Rebel Alliance again. (Dark Empire opening)

One year and nine months after the Concordance - Anakin Solo is born, Palpatine is finally defeated, and the Dark Empire collapses. Peacekeeping initiatives begin anew and portions of the Empire even consider resigning the Concordance and going further, portions which are undone by political infighting which verges on civil war. With the seizure of Coruscant and Orinda, the capital becomes Ord Cantrell. (Dark Empire Trilogy)

Twenty four months after the Concordance - the Crimson Empire collapses after civil war strikes Ord Cantrell, and no central Empire exists and police keeping actions against Tavira, Furgan and Daala occur, each individual pirate gangs or terrorists, a full year of peace asserting itself even if punctuated with the discovery of a Death Star prototype, the Sun Crusher and the Eye of Palpatine superweapons. (Crimson Empire 1 & 2, Jedi Academy Trilogy, I, Jedi, Children of the Jedi)

Thirty six months after the Concordance - the Empire reunifies under Daala in the Deep Core and then Pellaeon in the Rim as her successor, breaching the Concordance five months into the year and being defeated at the Battle of Yavin. Six months later, in a month long campaign starting at Orinda, the Empire stabilises as an independent regime but is also weakened anew by several defeats, though Orinda is held and becomes the capital once more, now a capital on the ostensible frontline at the year end. (Darksaber)

Forty eight months after the Concordance - engagements at Nam Chorios, Adumar and Pallaxides see the Empire defeated in all three venues and the Antemeridian sector annexed. The Restored Empire attempts to seize control of the True Empire and is defeated, interfering with a potential new peace treaty and resulting in extensive losses for the Empire and the New Republic in the final round of hostilities, a last wave of battles caused by the Restored Empire lashing out at both and intentions being misconstrued between the warring powers. The Concordance reasserts itself when the Empire is bloodied at the Battle of Celanon and peacekeeping actions against rogue Imperial factions persists five months into the year - the war had in essence ignited for less than six months. The Deep Core is reorganised into a coalition of successor warlords by Daala, but peace is mostly restored for four more years in spite of the Disciples of Ragnos terrorist crisis and the Yevethan Purge causing short lived bursts of conflict. (Planet of Twilight, X-wing 9, Crimson Empire 3, Empire Reborn Trilogy, Black Fleet Crisis)

Eight years after the Concordance - the Rim True Empire reunites with the Deep Core and launches an invasion of New Republic space, an again short campaign which sees the New Republic thoroughly shatter the Empire in both theatres. The Concordance is imposed with a military line and blockade, and the Deep Core is rearranged into the Second Imperium. (New Essential Chronology, misc)

Ten years after the Concordance - the Rim Empire signs the Galactic Concordance anew under the Bastion Accords as the Imperial Remnant, and is allowed to keep possession of the forces it has, though reparations and limits on further development are imposed. The Second Imperium does not sign, but for the Remnant the war is very much over; for the New Republic, it still ended at Jakku, and save for the twin campaigns of Thrawn and Palpatine the Empire should have given up a decade ago; in hindsight for the Empire, it had been finished as a power at Endor. (Hand of Thrawn Duology, YJK arc)

Sixteen years after the Concordance - the Deep Core Imperials are thoroughly rooted out of their territories during policing of the region, retreating to the Maw, in time for the Yuuzhan Vong to arrive. On a war footing, the galaxy rearms against the invaders but slowly. The Imperial Remnant assists but is outflanked and seals its borders after a handful of months of engaging the Yuuzhan Vong regime, which itself enjoys victory after victory against the New Republic. The Empire of the Hand sends limited forces to assist, determined to hold the line in the Unknown Regions while the First Order watches. (Vector Prime, Dark Tide Duology)

Eighteen years after the Concordance - the Yuuzhan Vong capture Coruscant and force the capital to relocate to Dac. The First Order make their first moves to dominate the Unknown Regions, sabotaging the safety measures between the Killiks and the Chiss and beginning the Chiss Civil War. The Empire of the Hand is destroyed in the Unknown Regions by the First Order, and the Chiss embrace the remnants of the Empire of the Hand as a means to ending the Chiss Civil war. (Star by Star)

Nineteen years after the Concordance - fresh from the defeat at Ebaq 9, the Yuuzhan Vong strike a host of neutral states including the Imperial Remnant, in a failed effort to prevent the New Republic - rebranded the Galactic Alliance to encompass the Hapans allying with them - all of which declare war on the Yuuzhan Vong and join the Galactic Alliance. (Destiny's Way, Force Heretic trilogy)

Twenty years after the Concordance - the Imperial Remnant, New Republic and a coalition of lesser powers defeat the Yuuzhan Vong and raises the Galactic Alliance flag on Coruscant. The Capital is relocated to Denon. (The Final Prophecy, The Unifying Force)

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Very good.
    Going to have to borrow that outline.
    Now to get into the TFA stuff.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Borrow away. Between the month after Zsinj, ten months of continual warfare from Thrawn and Palpatine, the week odd of Daala, four months of Pellaeon and the unspecified but presumably relatively short final campaigns of the Remnant, the Concordance is breached by the legitimate treaty signing Empire for around sixteen months out of ten years. It's not a lot. A year and a half at most out of ten, and then six years until the Vong War, and by the time of TFA the Empire has been bad for one and half years out of twenty nine. It's been more than good for a year during the Vong War. The Concordance is relatively solid in all.

Darth Sophis and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    Interesting idea, merging the timelines.
    I still prefer the old EU but it's good to see some alternatives.

11. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    It's interesting to see the First Order causing havoc among the Empire of the Hand, Chiss and the Killiks, but that would make sense.

12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Makes sense that the twins and Anakin are born so early.

I'm surprised at how well the overall theme of the YV invasion fits in with this.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    To be fair the Yuuzhan Vong War is so short in the context of the greater timeline, and recent retcons before the reboot shortened it from five to four years on a study of the internal timeline of the NJO novels.

The births are all that fixes the timeline in place. The only novel that probably requires some finer tuning is Tatooine Ghost, drawing Leia and Han to Tatooine earlier to reflect that the conclusion of the book drives Leia to accept having children. As Ben is roughly 29 in TFA, according to sources, he has to be older than Jacen, Jaina and Anakin.

What with the war being on-going around Ben's birth and the threat of kidnapping, it makes sense to keep the four children separate for much of the time, which can be taken into account with Ben's development being so aggression based.

I'm pretty tempted to suggest that the Caamas Crisis was the first appearance of the Centrist and Populist dynamic in the New Republic, but the names for the two divides were born when the New Republic was constitutionally amended in the aftermath of the Yuuzhan Vong War.

14. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    With it being the longest adult series, it's easy to forget the short in-universe time span the Vong war covers ;)

Aahh, that does make sense! It also works for Ben being trained by Luke and then Luke being so hesitant to start an academy for any Force sensitive later.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  15. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I wonder what Jacen, when he's Darth Caedus (assuming he still becomes a Sith) would make of the First Order, or would he still try to transform the Galactic Alliance/New Republic from within.

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It's a good question. By the time Jacen takes centre stage, I feel as if the First Order has to take a background position by the time of Revelation if Pellaeon is to take back control of the Remnant.

Being as the 2nd Civil War was so very short in LotF (barely a year), I like to think that TFA is the start of it, and Invincible could be the end.

More, if my gut about Episode VIII is true I could see the First Order = Galactic Alliance. But that's me.

17. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

So Hux=male Daala? ;)

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh that would be hilarity.

PCCViking likes this.
  19. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I don't read fanfiction anymore.
    I would read that.
    Or hell, someone make that a novel. I don't know enough about either character to be comfortable with doing it.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Spaceballs-inspired scene:

*Kylo Ren bursts into Hux's office.

Hux: Knock next time. Did you see anything?
    Kylo Ren: I didn't see you gazing admiringly at Tarkin's holo-portrait again.

:p

21. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

Holy cow.

I had to put my drink down so 1) I wouldn't spill it and 2) so that I wouldn't take a sip and spit it everywhere.
    HILARIOUS

Force Smuggler and PCCViking like this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    *edits into part 2 the books that it refers to as he omitted to*

23. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Sinrebirth: I made my own idea of the canon unification theory. I tried to keep the dates as close to the old EU as possible, but I also tried to respect the events of the NEU and how they might tie in to the old EU.

Under spoilers for length:

One Canon timeline:

4 ABY: Battle of Endor; Han and Leia "celebrate" the death of the Emperor on Endor; Ben is conceived and born 9 months later.

5 ABY: Battle of Jakku: decisive victory for the New Republic; Imperial fleet destroyed and/or scattered; Sate Pestage and Mas Amedda forced to sign Galactic Concordance; Imperial warlords declare their disdain for the treaty and break off, Krennel and Zsinj being the most prominent; Isard betrays Pestage and Amedda, assumes command of the Empire; Isard publicly agrees to follow the treaty, but provides material support to the warlords. Leia and Han give Ben to Luke to begin training.

6-8 ABY: Prompted by attacks by the warlords, the New Republic declares the Empire to be in violation of the Concordance; campaign to seize Coruscant begins; Isard plans the Krytos Virus; Isard escapes, but is eventually defeated. Hunt for Warlord Zsinj begins in earnest. Alderaanian survivors ask Leia to marry Isolder to gain the Hapans' support, not caring she and Han already have a son. Events of Courtship of Princess Leia. Han and Leia marry, and Jacen and Jaina are conceived.

9-10 ABY: Thrawn campaign; Imperial Moffs, plus other sources, provide material support for Thrawn, keeping enough ships in reserve to remain inconspicuous; Luke meets Mara; Luke, Leia and Ben survive kidnapping attempts by the Noghri; Luke and Mara defeat C'baoth, but Luke senses a dark side presence, two in fact: one focused on him, and the other focused on Ben.

11 ABY: Dark Empire; the Empire openly repudiates the Galactic Concordance and readies for war; the Emperor returns to seize command of the Imperial fleets; Snoke orders the evolving First Order to focus on building its own fleet and constructing Starkiller Base, as a contingency. Luke defeats Palpatine; the New Republic defeats the Empire again, and imposes harsh conditions on the violations of the Galactic Concordance.

12-13 ABY: Ben starts becoming fascinated with Darth Vader, even though he doesn't know his heritage; Mon Mothma survives the assassination attempt by Furgan, and remains Chancellor; despite her leadership abilities, factions start forming: Populists and the Centrists. The first Centrists are the hardcore Rebel veterans who still see the Empire as a threat; the Populists don't see the Empire as a threat any longer.

14-19 ABY: Brief skirmishes with the Imperial Remnant, before Pellaeon agrees to the Bastion Accords, which would enforce the Concordance; in return, the New Republic recognizes the borders of the IR and its autonomy. Meanwhile, Nom Anor and other Yuuzhan Vong agents, along with First Order/Imperial hardliners begin stirring the pot, triggering the Caamasi Crisis. Despite the resolution, the tensions remain to be exploited.

20-21 ABY: Imperial loyalists are elected to the Senate, and begin merging with the Centrists, eventually assuming leadership of the Centrists. The Yuuzhan Vong begin their invasion.

22-24 ABY: The Yuuzhan Vong War begins as Mon Mothma steps down as Chancellor. Borsk Fey'lya is effective, to a point, but his inactions start affecting future Chancellors in terms of effectiveness. First Order agitators form the Peace Brigade; unbeknownst to the Republic and the Vong, the Knights of Ren start hunting down Jedi. Luke and the others are too blinded by the war to recognize the more subtle danger.

25-28 ABY: The war ends, but the Republic is politically split in two: the Centrists and the Populists have now caused the Senate to be in gridlock; the events of Bloodline; Snoke seduces Ben to the darkside; Ben joins the Knights of Ren and becomes their leader; he narrowly misses killing Jacen and Jaina; Jacen suspects that Ben is the dark man in his vision, but meditation tells him otherwise; a darker threat is out there, and he goes into the Unknown Regions to learn more. Luke disappears after the other Jedi are wiped out; the survivors are told to go into hiding.

29-32 ABY: Surviving Jedi receive an unknown call; the Dark Nest crisis begins, manipulated by the First Order, which is on the verge of revealing itself. Systems flock to the First Order, and it openly reveals its military; Knights of Ren stir up trouble among the Empire of the Hand, the Imperial Remnant and the Chiss. Jacen leads the New Republic and the remaining Jedi to resolve the Killik Crisis. Snoke orders that Kylo Ren's test be the murders of his father and brother. Meanwhile, Lumiya begins plotting to turn Jacen into a Sith Lord.

34-36 ABY: First Order launches more attacks; Resistance is formed (earlier) and receives discreet support from the Republic leadership; events of the Force Awakens; Jacen and Jaina lead the other Jedi to battle the Knights of Ren (explaining their absence in TFA); Rey is discovered; Luke is found.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Interesting. So everything happens as is until the Vong War, which starts earlier... Cutting at the ages of Jacen, Jaina and Anakin by five years (so they are 12, 13 in NJO?)... And the Vong War lasts four to five years... Luke is cut out of the Dark Nest stuff... And presumably LotF takes place after this?

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Double post but shrug.

Black Fleet Crisis, with the Super Star Destroyers lost in the Unknown Regions - First Order?

Force Smuggler likes this.