main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The one thing the PT did'nt give you that you wish it had.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Turkey, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    Morning all, thinking last night, what one thing do i wish had been shown in the PT but has'nt. I'm a big fan of the PT. I liked TPM and AOTC and i'm sure i'll love ROTS, and although i hav'nt seen it, i've been coming on here long enough to know a spoiler or two and know what to expect from it.

But the one thing i would of loved to have seen happen is to see two Sith Fighting side by side (like Obi-wan and Qui-Gon at the end of TPM) against a single jedi . . . or a few Jedi, it'd be a good fight none the less.
    We'd see such an awsome display of force power and rage that i realy wish this has been put on screen just once, would of been quite a sight.

Anything you'd like to have seen, or something that was cut that you'd hoped had stayed?

2. Darth_Warden

Darth_Warden Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2005
    I really would have loved to see Darth Vader, in his original costume, fighting against several Jedi at once. That'd be cool.

3. Darth_Turkey

Sep 5, 2004
    Me to.

Do you think Lucas side-steped a vader fight because . .

a) it would take away some of the majic between the obi-wan - vader fight from ANH, Lucas wanted us to see suited vader fight for the first time here.

Or . . .

b) Some guy in a massive heavy suit would never be able to pull off an impressive fight like hayden does and it would simply make vader look slow or weak?

A CG vader could of been used, but i think there would of been up-raw.

4. Runecrow

Runecrow Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2005
    I like them as they are- but if someone held a gun to my head and demanded I choose something; I would have liked to have seen Qui-Gon throughout the PT. But, then he wouldn't have become one with the force, so a good portion of the wrap-up story wouldn't have been the same.

5. Darth_Turkey

Sep 5, 2004
    Yeah, he was cool for sure but he had a greater purpose.
    Though I'd like to have seen him last at least to AOTC and maybe make it on the jedi council before snuffing it, that would of been great.

6. hitmbig

hitmbig Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 6, 2004
    Qui Gon die and dissapear

7. DukeNukem

DukeNukem Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    more jar jar

8. Kained-but-Able

Kained-but-Able Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2004
    For me personally I think TPM could have been much improved if Anakin was older in it, perhaps 16 to 20 like Luke in ANH - allowing Hayden to have played him in all three films.

9. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Less fanboy complaining.........[face_laugh]

10. Darth_Julio

Darth_Julio Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2004
    i agree with you less complain :)

11. Eastwood

Eastwood Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2003
    One thing blatently missing from the PT is hyperspace!

I know it was a small thing in the OT, but the view from the falcons cockpit as it entered hyperspace was always an exciting moment!

We have seen ships fly off into hyperspace, but not the cockpit view. Before anywone mentions it, yes I know the view would be different to the falcon as the falcon was so much quicker, but to see a similer effect would be great.

12. DarthSakroc

DarthSakroc Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2001
    Anakin should have been older in TPM. A 9 year old was too young for good character development. And I don't buy the "he needed to be that young to show he started out innocent". That's a cop-out. How many 9 year olds are already psycho serial murderers and galactic conquerers? My response is "big freaking deal" to the idea that a little kid started out as a nice kid.

Luke was 18-20 in ANH - does anyone ever feel he was not a good-hearted innocent type character when you first met him? It would have meant more if Anakin was sort of the same age or a little younger when we met him.

As it is, you lose the power of Anakin's redemption as a result. The first time you meet him as an adult, he's already an impatient and arrogant guy who slaughters an entire village for revenge. There's not much to like and therefore not much to care about when he's redeemed.

13. darthsenestro

darthsenestro Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2001
    Yeah, the hyperspace thing was wierd...I heard in I think one of the TPM/AOTC making-of movies that Lucas purposely did not show the starfield turning into streaks like the OT on PURPOSE...don't know why. It's not that big of a deal, but it's still something that's 100% star wars that we didnt get to see in the Prequels. Maybe the Tantive will do it in ROTS:)

14. Eastwood

Jan 15, 2003
    darthsenestro, come to think of it, I do vaguely remember them saying they left it out deliberatly. I agree it does seem pointless and def agree that as it is 100% star wars it should be there!

15. Kained-but-Able

Kained-but-Able Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2004
    Lucas said he wanted to the keep the hyperspace thing to the OT because he thought it was special or something, cant remeber his exact words.

Ditto, Darth Sakroc.

16. Runecrow

Runecrow Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2005
    I always wondered about 'why no star-streaking hyperspace' in the PT, too. But the post up there made me wonder- is the only view-point we ever see the streaking-stars shot from the Falcon's cockpit?

Maybe it was a special thing just to show off how fast the Falcon was. That's pretty cool, and makes the lack of the shot in the PT more relevant.

EDIT: What about when all the ships jump into hyperspace in ROTJ? I am faintly recalling streaking-star view from one of the Mon Calamari cruisers? Or am I faintly recalling a false memory?

17. OldieVonMoldie

OldieVonMoldie Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2001
    I really would have loved to see Darth Vader, in his original costume, fighting against several Jedi at once. That'd be cool.

Vader in his suit would be nowhere near powerfull enough to take on several Jedi.

Do you think Lucas side-steped a vader fight because . .

a) it would take away some of the majic between the obi-wan - vader fight from ANH, Lucas wanted us to see suited vader fight for the first time here.

Or . . .

b) Some guy in a massive heavy suit would never be able to pull off an impressive fight like hayden does and it would simply make vader look slow or weak?

A CG vader could of been used, but i think there would of been up-raw.

Ok, for the benefit of those who still don't get it........

Darth Vader in the suit is a shell of the man that Anakin Skywalker was, especially after he turned to the dark side. I just don't understand why people insist on thinking that having all his limbs cut off, being burned alive, and forced to spend the rest of his life in a walking iron lung would somehow improve his abilities. This ain't the "Six Million Dollar Man" folks.

One of the first things George Lucas stated when he started the PT was that when it was all said and done, we would look at the OT and Darth Vader differently.
    He has also spoken on the OT DVD's of the very same thing - the lost potential of Vader due to his injuries. That is why Palpatine wants Luke, he sees the potential of what Vader could have been if not for the suit.

18. darthsenestro

darthsenestro Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2001
    Maybe the whole hyperspace thing in the OT was to show it's more personal, intimate (thus inside the ship) point of view, where the PT has a grander scale...or the outside-the-ship view in the OT wasn't good enough to show it all the time, and that's what Lucas really wanted at the time. I dont know...

Anyway, what I wish I'd seen in the prequels in the kaiburr crystal and the jedi clones (no, not really)....seriously, I would have liked to see or hear from Qui-Gon's spirit more than "ANAKIN! ANAKIN!" I got all geeked when I read the scene between him and Yoda at the end of ROTS in the Grap. Novel, but all the reviews confirm that's not in it. :-( They'll leave it to the imagination, which is fine by me! :)

19. Eastwood

Jan 15, 2003
    Runecrow, I belive you are right, when they do the jumpt to the deathstar at the end of ROTJ you see HS streaks from the mon calamari ships.

20. Darth_Turkey

Sep 5, 2004
    To the above post, yeah you're right. Vaders a shell of his former self and therefore he would'nt be quite the sight in battle a lot of fans expect of him, but i still think he's hold his own.

as for . .

I know it was a small thing in the OT, but the view from the falcons cockpit as it entered hyperspace was always an exciting moment!

I did'nt even realise we had'nt seen this until you mentioned it. It aint a big deal agreed, but now i think of it, it would of been nice to see it once or twice. If lucas left it out for a reason, i wonder why.

21. daddybigbars

daddybigbars Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2004
    Before the Phantom Menace came out, I was under the impression that the prequels would feature more Sith. I would have loved to have seen a colossal Jedi-Sith battle in Episode II. I was also under the impression that Sidious turned Anakin in a much more forceful manner. This would have been interesting to see.

And I agree, introducing Anakin as a young boy just didn't work.

22. Stejo-Miwar

Stejo-Miwar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Anakin should have been older in TPM.

---

Well, like Lucas said in one of his interviews;
    "If I was to paint my house WHITE, someone will say it should of been GREEN."

[face_plain]

23. Tachikoma-Kun

Tachikoma-Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2005
    Yup I allso hoped that we would get to see a big fight between jedi and the sith. Lot's of sith. *sigh* Kinda like in Knights Of The Old Republic. :(

24. AdmiralNeeda

AdmiralNeeda Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2004
    Order 56.

25. darth_stryker

darth_stryker Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2004
    Let me start by giving some of the things that the prequels DID provide that I thought were worthwhile...

1. Yoda in action. Even though some folks say that it was bogus, I really think that the CGI folks did a pretty good job with making the tiny green guy into an action hero. When he pulled his cloak back to summon his lightsaber in AOTC, the theater went nuts...

2. Double bladed lightsaber...'nuff said.

3. A somewhat incomplete, but at least believable backstory on how the Emperor not only ruled the galaxy, but also was a powerful user of the force and Vader's master. I always wondered how they would explain that one...the source books that were out before the prequels didn't do a very good job.

4. An explaniation of the Clone Wars...when Obi Wan mentions the Clone Wars in ANH, you are left with "What the hell was that?" I was always under the impression that it would be the Jedi fighting AGAINST the clones, not using them as their allies to fight the droid armies. Pretty cool twist, in my book. The clone wars also provided a pretty good backstory for the stormtroopers.

Okay, but to answer the questions of this thread.

1. I would have liked more history on the Sith. I have not seen Episode III yet like many of you, but from what I followed in the spoilers, we will receive some enlightenment, but not as much.

2. I would have liked to have seen the vision of the prequels NOT try to incorporate so much of the OT. Did we really need c3po and r2d2 as part of the prequels? Chewie as well? I mean, those are nice touches and provides employment for the relevant actors, and also opens up more merchandising possibilities, but truly...in a GALAXY (not just a planet, country, city, etc.) what are the chances that a Jedi Master (Yoda) would end up working closely with the same being (Chewie) that would end up later working closely with his future apprentice (Luke), etc. It's like a 7 degrees from Kevin Bacon game gone bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.