main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ONLY Official Thread for Attack of the Clones

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Azeem, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Yeah, in their latest ad campaign Dougie passes his name onto a new recruit.

Hey, I don't understand it either!! ;)

2. Amidala_Nutley

Amidala_Nutley Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2001
    OMG....

How brilliant :) got back 3 hours ago, only another 4 hours until the next fix.

I was a bit apprehensive about Haden as Anakin, but he did play it soooo well. His facial expressions were brilliant. And the scenery, wow, the attention to detail. And the costumes (Nikki makes mental note to self, must book up course in needlework soon)

WOW

3. TheCrow

TheCrow Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2001
    I HAVE JUST CAME FROM THE MIDNIGHT SHOWING OF EPISODE II. IT IS AWESOME! IT WILL MAKE YOU GO 'WOW'!

4. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    me and dezion went dressed up with a few people :) got first in line for our theater too ;) jsut got back from seeing it... and let me state yoda is mr badass of the universe :p

we got interviewed :) by the newspaper tv and got lots of attention from "normal" people whom i yelled "aaaaaaahh! look at you! ur normal! what a joke!" to :) (only as revenge for them laughing at us...*grumble*) i am a sith its in my nature to seek revenge is it not? :p

pics to come soon ...

5. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I just did too. :)

Here's a hint: DO NOT USE FANDANGO.COM TO ORDER YOUR TICKETS. I went into the theater expecting five preordered tickets. Surprise! The order "didn't go through" despite my printed receipt, and I was stuck in the theater with four friends and zero tickets at midnight. Things didn't look good. Some quick scalping and Jedi Mind Tricks got us all in, fortunately. :)

As for the movie itself: !!!

6. MC3PIO

MC3PIO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 19, 2000
    Just came back from the midnight showing here in Philly. I enjoyed the film. I didn't love it, as I was expecting to. But I think that may have to do with the fact that I read so many spoilers and reviews beforehand. I couldn't enjoy the story unfolding as much as I would have liked because I basically knew what was going to happen beforehand. I wonder if anyone else feels they spoiled themselves too much before seeing the movie?

I don't think the movie is as great as the 5 stars out of 5 fan reviews make it out to be but I certainly don't think it's as bad as the American critics would have you believe. (I say American critics because the British critics are mostly positive.) The truth is in between those 2 extremes.

My favorite scenes was the sequence on Tatooine. The movie came alive as the story started to touch on the darkness that made Empire the masterpiece it is. My second favorite scenes were, of course, the battle sequence at the end. I haven't seen anything of that scope in any fantasy film, Lord of the Rings included. It looked like a graphic novel come to life.

I liked how Anakin was forced to make tough decisions like rescue Padme or carry out his duty. I thought Christensen did pretty well overall and Portman was much improved over her self admitted flat performance in TPM. Ewan McGregor had a lot more to do this time around and he made the most of it.

I thought the critics were right about one thing, however. The first hour was poorly paced. You have one big action scene and then mostly exposition for the next 50 minutes or so. The love story didn't work either. Padme tells Anakin she loves him deeply but I didn't buy it. There's no credible reason for her to have profound feelings for him. I can see why he wants her. She's hot as hell but for her to profess her devotion to him the way she did towards the end just didn't work.

The fx were mostly great but there were definitely some trouble spots. The ocean on Kamino didn't look entirely convincing. When Anakin rides that CG beast in the pasture scene it is OBVIOUSLY a CG Anakin and not a real actor. You can also tell there's a 3d head pasted onto a stunt double's body during Dooku's fight at times.

The Yoda fight. There's been so much build up to this it couldn't possibly live up to expectations and it didn't. It wasn't remotely bad. It was pretty good but it was a little unrealistic and (no pun intended) too short. We've never seen Yoda move like that ever. I don't know. It was fun but I still think the Maul/Kenobi throwdown was much more impressive cuz you could see those were 2 real actors actually performing the moves. It wasn't an illusion of editing as so many movies rely upon today.

Overall I'd have to give the movie *** to ***1/2 stars out of ****. I'm probably leaning closer to the *** stars right now. Without a doubt it's better than Spiderman but I still have yet to see what the fascination with Spiderman is about anyways. I'm not sure how the casual moviegoer would react to this film. The audience I saw it with seemed to love it. There was very enthusiastic applause at the end and I heard mostly positive comments as I left. I think its the third best, after ESB and ANH. I think I'll have a better idea of how I feel after I see it a few more times and have some time to absorb it.

7. JediBri17

JediBri17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2000
    I just got back from seeing a midnight show in NYC, It was awesome, I don't want to spoil it for anyone. It was very good, it seemed to drag a little at first maybe a little too much "Lovey Dovey" stuff, but it picked up after that. My biggest problem was that I had a "Sick" feeling in my gut while watching Anakin begin to become evil, but I accepted it, and the rest of the movie was worth it, I formally accept George Lucas's apology for the Phantom Menace!
    I would also like to add that i stayed away from ALL reviews and propoganda about the movie, i did not want to be disappointed in any way. I thought that the Yoda fight scene was GREAT! I knew he was going to fight BUT they took me by surprise the way they did it!
    Enjoy everyone!

8. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Hey folks, a big hello from New York!

Well, I've just come back from the midnight screening here at the Zeigfeld, WOAH NELLY! Major Sweetness! (But then again, I got to see the film at the press screening last tuesday - Actually, I was two seats away from Carter, who reviewed it for TFN!)

If you haven't seen this film yet, then what are you doing? :p

I tell you what it was pretty cool to be interviewed live on CNN during the middle of a saber fight!!! :p

I can't wait to see it again!

9. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    due to an unprecidented stroke of luck, a friend called me at 8:40 and said he had a spare ticket and would i like to see it.... hmmm let me thin... YES! so i raced out of the house and sped to Ontario mills here in sunny southern california and got there just in time... startled and petrified that my friend and i were standing at almost the very back of the line (guaranteeing the neck-breaker seats)...

well, they let us in, and much to my surprise, not only did we find PERFECT seats, but the theater never filled up completely! so we sat in the theater for two hours awaiting the film, talking about other movies and exchanging movie quotes, as we are wont to do.

finally, after finishing up a large fruit punch and an entire bag of popcorn, the house lights dropped. the crowd cheered as the trailer for Goldmember showed (looks like it's gonna be a blast!) and the cheers came louder as the next trailer (both MATRIX sequels) played.

then the screen went black, and that all too familiar twentieth century fox fanfare played, the crowd again cheering as the lucasfilm logo appeared. it was finally true... here i was, once again seeing the midnight showing of a starwars film... and i got in FREE! lol.

well, i will refrain from reviewing the film at this time, as i am exhausted and feel the need to see it one more time before i form an honest opinion... i WILL say that it was visually stunning... and for the moment, that is all i will say... this review will be continued tomorrow, as i will be seeing it again tomorrow evening...

good night, and may the force be with you...

-B

10. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    OH MY GOD. I just got back from AOTC, and I have to say, I absolutely LOVED it. It was awesome! The lightsaber effects (as I predicted :D) were far above those in the trailers, which made me QUITE happy.

I was a little disappointed to hear several musical cues sampled wholesale from TPM and just plopped down into the new film. They fit well enough, but knowing the TPM soundtrack intimately it was jarring to me.

Other than that, I have no complaints.

Since there was already a spoiler warning on this thread...

I loved how Lucas answered SO many questions the fans have been concerned about.

"Why is Anakin's lightsaber in this one COMPLETELY different from the one Obi gives Luke in ANH?"

"Why does Anakin have a green blade in some scenes when others clearly have it as blue?"

"Why can't the Jedi FEEL the evil in Palpatine?"

"How did Palpatine gain all his power?"

Whoooo. I want to see it again soon but I'm not sure how soon I can handle it.

I have more to say, but it's 4:30 AM and I'm FRIED.

M. Scott

11. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    I for one didn't really like how the romance turned out. I thought it was going too fast... I don't know, I feel there's something strange about it... What do you guys think ?

But the Obi-Wan part ROCKS !!! And the chase trough Coruscant makes a wonderful opening action sequence.

12. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Simply Outstanding, Just returned from the midnight showing which I saw with Zayn and Young Kenobi(Playing Obi-Wan in Jedi Apprentice) and we loved it. Outstanding. As we left the theater Young Kenobi looked at me and said, "Star Wars is back." and I think that says it all after the pain and suffering from Episode I.

There was only one major flaw for me in the film. I could see the compression quite clearly and for the first 30 mins or so it was distracting me quite a bit. Especially in the corruscant scenes in Amidala's apartment. It seemed most appearent there. Now I admit I was in a theater with a HUGE screen and I was close to the front, but none the less it was there and despite all the support I have for Lucas shooting digital I said to myself, I wish hed used 35mm.

I will hopefully be seeing it on a digital projector next with better seats and hopefully it will be less noticable.

All that aside It was amazing.

13. Darth_Redicolous

Darth_Redicolous Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    I saw the midnight show. WOW! I thought it was a bit boring at first, but it got alot better. It's almost 15 hours ago now. I can't wait for the next show!

I forgot: I didn't like that Zam's gun sounded like a TIE figther blaster.

EDIT: Bad spelling...!
    EDIT II: Bad TYPO!
    Edit III: Bad memory!

14. Waylynne

Waylynne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2001
    Hey, saw AOTC this afternoon... and I gotta say it was awesome...

Simply the best Fan-Film I've ever seen... Man those effects were so cool... And the lightsabers - well even Clay would be proud of them... and...

[psssst!]

Hey???? what???

[mutter-mutter-mutter]

WHAT???!!!? You're kidding me right???!?!?!

[mutter]

Holy crap! You people are way too easily pleased!

:eek:

There's no way I could sit through that again...

"A Special Effect without a story is a pretty boring thing..."

The Prosecution rests, you Honour...

15. Jedi_Master_Sigler

Jedi_Master_Sigler Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Whoa! I saw the midnight showing at a theatre near me, and I'm going back again at 8:00 tonight to see it again! Tomorrow, I've got two more showings that I'm going to, and I'm seeing it at a digital theatre on Saturday!

16. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    I was a little disappointed to hear several musical cues sampled wholesale from TPM and just plopped down into the new film. They fit well enough, but knowing the TPM soundtrack intimately it was jarring to me.

Same here, man. Especially in the Arena sequence.

17. Darth_Bone

Darth_Bone Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    I can just say: AWESOME!!!

I saw aotc at the midnight screening here in germany and it was soooo cool!
    The cinema was full of hard core star wars fans who came as stormtroopers and jedi.

Aotc is "much" better than TPM and the actors are all very good. And YODA!!!
    Absolutely perfect!

Today I´ll watch Aotc again...3 hours! Have to see it a second time to see every detail (of course this will take some more visits to the cinema).

I hope to see the original version soon...I only saw the translated but it was ok!

18. John_FC

John_FC Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 10, 2000
    Waylynne, what film did you see?

As far as special effects with no stories goes, I think that couldn't have been further from the truth! I think the story outdid the effects!

john.

P.S. Did anyone notice a wierd thing i think i did. When you first see Obi-Wan come out of hyperspace in his fighter/docking mechanism, i could have SWORN it was Mace in the cockpit! So much so that the first time i saw it i thought "what's HE doing here"?!? When I resaw the film tonight (gotta love Aust) i took notice, and i still can't work it out... doesn't look like Obi.

Oh, and does anyone actually understand WHO ordered the clones, and WHAT they were for????

19. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Wanted to post when I got home last night at 3:30 AM, but my mother-in-law was asleep on the couch (baby-sittin' young Rive), so I didn't want to turn on the computer.

I have just one word.

ROCKED.

20. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I think Sidious and/or Dooku ordered the clones. You know there is a connection between the planning of the two armies since Jango was deeply invloved in both.

Sidious basically manipulated the entire galaxy to create a war that will set up his rise to ultimate power.

This movie totally rocked.
    I can't wait to see it again!

I heard somewhere that the Millenium Falcon might appear in this movie. I never saw it. Did anyone happen to see it?

Have fun!

21. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Actually, you can't see the Falcon itself. From what I read on TFN, you can see three Corellian (sp ?) ships in the landing area on Naboo, when Anakin and Padmé's cargo ship arrive.

And, apparently there are also X-Wings and TIE-Fighters in the chase scene.

Haven't noticed any of those yet... Gotta go see it again, I guess ! :)

Oh and yeah, the music from TPM annoyed me too, but I didn't mind Zam's gun sounding like a TIE (in fact, I didn't recognize the sound until I read it here... I was really hooked, so I wasn't thinking !)

The audience here in Toulouse (France) apparently weren't big fans. I heard some of them say the movie "sucked". But I appreciated hearing the crowd laughing (when Obi-Wan uses his Jedi mindtrick on the drug dealer in the nightclub). They laughed when Anakin has his nightmare, and I admit I smiled. I mean, I knew it was supposed to be a nightmare, but Hayden shouldn't have moved his whole body this way... Anyway...

22. Jedi_Master_dude

Jedi_Master_dude Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2001
    I'm going in an hour!!!! I'm a discrace! I didn't go to the midnight showing, o well!

23. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Well, I saw it at midnight. And I can say that it was an incredible film. There are some problems with it. Mostly with Hayden Christiansen's performance, but not more than Mark Hamill's problems in ANH. He should (I hope) grow into his role in Episode III. But the second Yoda decides it's time to kick a little Jedi tail, LOOK OUT. I haven't wailed in the movie theater in a LONG time.

If you could dub AOTC ... Episode II: The Apology ... then ...

"Apology accepted, Captain Nedah."

Semaj

24. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Oh YES!!!!!!!!

Like Homer said 'Oh Yes this Rocks!' :)

Spot on film, can't wait to see it again on the digital screen in London.

And the benefits of having booked tickets to jump the queues are great. :D (Outta my way, fanboy)

Pete

25. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Okay, I'm reading a lot of silly stuff about Hayden and the love story, et.al. The love story was utterly believable. It suffered from a bit of what could have been stilted dialogue, but it was acted with subtlety and flair. Hayden was marvelous - "problems" with his acting aren't problems at all, they're the perfectly believable, in-character traits that most extremely gifted teenagers have. As far as her falling in love with him? I take it that none of you have ever shared a real adventure with an old friend and discovered that you're intensely attracted to them. That's really all it takes. Put gifted, lonely, attractive people in a life-or-death situation and they will bond quite deeply quite quickly. And the time span the story covers is easily a month - more than enough time to fall in love.

Star Wars is Back! Episode I looks so much better now that I understand why it's there.
    -Lokmer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.