main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ONLY Official Thread for Attack of the Clones

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Azeem, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Okay, I'm reading a lot of silly stuff about Hayden and the love story, et.al. The love story was utterly believable

Lokmer, this is your opinion, don't say other people's opinion is "silly"...

And personnaly, I thought the love story wasn't that good because I thought it goes too fast. I can't comment on Hayden's acting because I saw the French dubbed version... Which, I must say (and keep in mind I HATE dubbed movies...), was pretty well done. I only thought Hayden's french voice didn't always fit with Hayden's facial expressions... Ah but this is for your general knowledge only, I guess you don't care at all. :)

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    I have a question. I'm going to see it tonight, as I have NOT seen it yet. So, did ILM fix that hallway scene? You know where Mace Windu and Obi-Wan are walking down the hallway with Yoda on that flying carpet thing (ha ha). Anyway, in the trailers, that looked very fake. Did they fix it to look correct?

3. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Yes Pixel.
    Apparently they finally got around to reading your light matching tutorial. ;)

The scene looks great!

Have fun!

4. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Ha ha, Padawan Nick, I doubt ILM would ever use my flawed techniques. Not until I work there in about 5 years or so anyway. :p

5. JediBri17

JediBri17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2000
    Did any of you guys feel like watching all of these fan films spoiled AOTC for you?

When I saw it I didn't get as excted as i thought I should have. For example all of the jedi's running around with lightsabers and alot of the special effects shots, I felt like I saw alot of similar things already in various fan films so i don't think i appreciated the movie the way that i should have.
    what do you guys think?

6. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Honestly, I doubt that they touched the hallway scene. The thing is, ILM does their effects specifically to make them good on the big screen -- not to try to make them look good on a compressed Quicktime movie.

In the end, the shot looks great.

7. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Jedibri - I hear you! Fanfilms have covered so much ground that when it came to some things I thought 'seen it' 'been done' etc

The 2 lightsabres was pretty good, but we have seen so much more with AQOF :) They stole his thunder with their fight :p

Pete

8. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey Jedi,

I was asked by a local paper (readership 3) to write a 300 word review of Attack of the Clones AND tie that all in with Dark Skies as well, which is a really tough ask in my opinion. Here's what I wrote, becuase it does pretty well address my thoughts on the question you have posed:

ATTACK OF THE CLONES

Having made a Star Wars fanfilm called Dark Skies (www.nutleys.com/darkskies/home.html) I was given the task of reviewing Attack of the Clones, and seeing how my homemade film compared alongside Episode II.

Well, the comparison doesn't even bare thinking about. Just when the fanfilm making community - yes there is one, check out www.theforce.net/theater - thinks they are producing films that are in the same ballpark as Star Wars, George Lucas gives us Attack of the Clones, and brings us all crashing down to earth.

The sheer scope and imagery of AOTC was breath-taking, I?d heard the film was good, but I honestly didn't expect it to be THAT good. The Star Wars saga is back on track with a monster of a movie. There was so much to take in that one showing just wasn't enough. I spent days trying to make a ship fly from left to right across a starfield, and I looked at the amazing imagery, beautiful art-direction, and huge scope of the set pieces in Attack of the Clones, and couldn't even begin to imagine how long it took them to create this epic.

This is the new benchmark in sci/fi fantasy films. Great story, had me hooked from the first explosion, breath-taking scenery, and stunning effects. Everything you could want from a Star Wars movie, with the added bonus of seeing Yoda get up of his backside and fight!

If you're a Star Wars fan, this is a good day, you'll love it. If you aren't a fan, buy a bucket of popcorn and go and see what the ?state-of the art? in cinema looks like in 2002. And if you're a Star Wars fanfilm-maker, join me back at the drawing board, sobbing quietly at the huge abyss that has just been opened up between Star Wars fanfilms, and the real Star Wars films.

9. poorturtle

poorturtle Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    first off - boycott AMC. they oversold. they were 45 minutes late. the idiot projectionist kept screwing up the focus.

AOTC:

it wasn't dark enough and was way too campy.

every time anakin did something "bad" they played the imperial march, or something like it. just seemed like they were making fun of ESB.

the battles were TOO SHORT, especially YODA's. yeah, you want to leave the audience wanting more but...

it seemed like lucas used all his time up on the story, and had to rush through all the battle scenes.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good story, but it really needed to be tightened up. He could have made the same points with much less dialogue and it would have been much more believable.

Other than that (and the "are you ok" scene with padme and the clone) this movie was PERFECT. Beautiful stuff. in my humble opine, the 3rd best in the series.

Oh speaking of that lovely senator: Did anyone see what I saw, as in that white nipple-tight, er, skin tight outfit? I really would have expected george to have had them photoshopped.

10. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    What some of the critics are saying:

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)

Critics Report Card Overall Grade: B

SOURCE BRIEF REVIEW GRADE*
    Ain't It Cool News
    Harry Knowles "Lucas succeeds with the film beyond my wildest dreams." more... A

Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Eleanor Ringel Gillespie "...just doesn't cut it." more... C+

BBC
    Danny Graydon "...focused and richly dramatic..." more... A

Chicago Sun-Times
    Roger Ebert "... a technological exercise that lacks juice and delight." more... C+

Chicago Tribune
    Michael Wilmington "...the most visually spectacular and exciting of all Star Wars movies to date." more... A-

filmcritic.com
    Christopher Null "...still won't hold a candle to the earlier films." more... B

Hollywood Reporter
    Kirk Honeycutt "...Lucas still struggles to replicate the spirit of fun and adventure..." more... C+

Los Angeles Times
    Kenneth Turan "The plot is standard, and the dialogue, even for something intended for young people, is curiously flat." more...

C
    New York Post
    Lou Lumenick "...huge fun that should stand up to repeated viewing..." more... A-

New York Times
    A.O. Scott "...not really much of a movie at all..." more... C-

ReelViews
    James Berardinelli "... it's refreshing to uncover something this high-profile that fulfils the promise of its name..." more... A-

Slant Magazine
    Ed Gonzalez "...not much better (than The Phantom Menace)..." more... C+
    USA Today

Mike Clark "No screen fantasy-adventure in recent memory has the showmanship of Clones' last 45 minutes." more... B+

Washington Post
    Stephen Hunter " It's too long, it's too dull, it's too lame." more... D+

11. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Poorturtle -

I didn't mind the Imperial March being played while Anakin was doing bad things. It's not making fun of ESB, it's heralding it.
    Besides, even though George thinks about the fans and wants to give them something they will love, his first motivation is to tell a story, and when you will watch all 6 movies in a row in 2006 or later... It's all gonna fit so well. I already think of when I'll be showing it to kids that haven't seen any of them yet. I'll be showing them from TPM to ROTJ. And in fact, they will see the prequel trilogy as we should see it : without knowing really what's to come.
    Therefore, hearing the Imperial March in AOTC is no problem. I personnaly was delighted to hear it, as I think it was the only missing theme from TPM (it was underused).

12. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Quote from my future son or daughter..
    "Dad, the effects in the first three are SO much better than the last three, what's up with that?"

13. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    It looked like the nipple shot WAS photoshopped. Besides, there were nipples in ROTJ.
    -Lokmer

14. poorturtle

poorturtle Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    i would have just rather it been more integrated into the music, rather than just suddenly there, maybe even reworked a bit more.

and i really dug the asteroid scene when it was devoid of music altogether. i'll have to go back and look at rotj for the millionth time. never noticed that before. but if i had carrie fisher in one hand, natalie in the other, well the choice wouldn't be too hard.

and i really would have liked to see more of the sand people get massacered, and a little blood in the film would have added to the realism. yes it's meant to be a family flick, but you arm doesn't get whacked off without a little blood (and i don't believe the "instant-cauterizing" idea). i mean, there was blood in TPM...

15. andalite

andalite Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    Personally, I think that was the best movie I have EVER seen! I wan't to see it again, and again! The story went along perfectly and the visual effects were stunning. I can't wait until Episode III!

16. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    lmao@the nippleshot... being into costuming as i am, sorry to say those are the seams of the outfit that you are seeing, not a cold Natalie Portman...

well, here i am on day two, having purchased tickets for the 7:15 showing tonight at my local Edwards theater. (there was NO line waiting, plenty of tickets available... i was disappointed that there were no crowds waiting..) still mulling over last night's showing... and as has been mentioned on this thread already, as my friend and i left the theater last night, the first thought that crossed my mind were Lucas' immortal words "Special Effects without a story is a pretty boring thing..."

yes, that was my first reaction, but then while thinking about it i realized, this film is NOT a contained story, but rather just a chapter of a larger one, much like many of the fanfilms today. so when you think of it like that, the fact that there IS no resolution, that the movie is INTENDED to be a set up for the next chapter, then it really isn't so bad... if you look at the grander scale of the story, then the story of episode two fits in exceptionally well. i see EP II as the second part of a prologue. we got to see how things were beginning to fall into place= anakin feeling the pull to the darkside, and palpatine's influence upon him... Palpatine's rise to power (thanks, Jar-Jar... lol) the role of the jedi in the events that eventually lead to their extinction.. this was a very valid and VASTLY important film. besides just plain liking this film, i greatly RESPECT how Lucas handled it...

and now tonight i'll do what i did with Lord of the Rings... last night was the film viewing... tonight i'm watchin for details ;)

17. Jedi_Jewel

Jedi_Jewel Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    No one could do better.
    It was awesome
    The scenes on Naboo were so gorgeous it just took my breath away. Although we all know what Anakin will turn out to be, I found myself thinking...No! Don't think that way! Or No! You still don't have to turn evil..... AHHH I am going to g insane until the next one. SO much better than The Phantom Menace. Although, I did not like Natali Portman's acting. It was lacking emotion in her face when she was delivering regular lines. ANd when she was thrown off the ship and was on the sand, acting like she was paralyzed, the trooper asked her if she was ok, and she jumps up and says Im ok and runs away. Everyone laughed. Then Yoda kicked a$$ and then walked away with a cane. lol. I love this film.

18. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    I hope you all spotted Anthony Daniels in the bar there? Although I missed seeing Ahmed there, knowing that he was in that scene aswell. It was all too quick.

Something else, I was trying to see if the two female jedi who appear in the banner above got away safely? Excuse me for forgetting their names.

19. GrEvEs

GrEvEs Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2002
    was N*SYNC noticeably in the movie? did they suck?

20. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    I STILL haven't seen it. Going to see it tonight with my girlfriend though. Argh, waiting sucks.

21. Jedi_Jewel

Jedi_Jewel Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    Ya know I did not notice N Stync in the film. maybe thats a good thing.

look what i've turned into. I blame ALL of you!

ps. Anakin's hot

22. Zayn

Zayn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 1999
    you guys must understand- my sister (jedi jewel) has disliked star wars for YEARS! Her whole life actually, despite my efforts to make her like it...

enter hot boy. "JEN!! STAR WARS IS THE BEST THING EVER!!"

lol and now she is turning into a wanna be nerd... it's soooo cute

This movie rocked... I loved it, the only thing I can really say is "OMG OMG OMG" when I start talking about it...

23. JediBri17

JediBri17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2000
    Someone told me that N sinc was cut out of the movie. I was very happy to hear it

24. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    lol "omg omg omg! did you see when...!" ;)

25. John_FC

John_FC Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 10, 2000
    Buliwif, that was not the seams from the costume, i'm sorry... having seen that scene twice now, it's the real deal me thinks...and Ms Portman does indeed look rather fetching... :)

john.

P.S. So is Sidious playing Tyrannus for a fool aswell? Assuming Tyrannus = dooku. Cause Dooku was supprised where the jedi could get an army from...

And also, why would Dooku tell Obi-Wan that Sidous was controlling the Senate if he wasn't trying to himself knock Sidous off... too many unanswered questions! I can't wait that 3 years!!! Grrr!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.