main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ONLY Official Thread for Attack of the Clones

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Azeem, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryusui

Ryusui Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Yes, they were. If my info is correct, it was all or at least mostly due to fan base. The majority just didn't want it.
    But we could all be mistaken. They still might have been in the BG there, with all the other Jedi. It's sometimes hard to make out features of humanoids during that battle.

By the way, did anyone read the novelization? Was anyone else disappointed that they didn't use that scene with Qui-Gon? Gave a slight bit of insight to that mysterious region of the Force concerning death...

John_FC - It amazes me, having seen it only 12 hours ago, but if I remember right, when Dooku mentioned his surprise at the clone army, it was in the presence of the Seperatists. Could be he knew all along and was just playing them for fools.

2. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Avene: Ahmed was in the shot right after Anthony Daniels.

Sidious and Tyrannus (Dooku -- no assumption necessary, Sidious calls him Lord Tyrannus when they meet) are playing EVERYONE for fools. Anyone else notice that the name of the Jedi master who ordered the clones sounded a lot like Sidious? That doesn't make TOO much sense (you'd think they

Sidious (Palpatine) has been planning and orchestrating this coup pretty much his entire life. He was born evil. Now we see it all falling into place.

Dooku's asking Obi-Wan to join him to destroy the Sith, all a ploy. He doesn't want to destroy the Sith at all, but if Obi's on his side, it's easier to backstab him. The best lies are at least 80% truth.

Since I'm thinking about it for some reason, the handheld/zoom FX shots during the battle were pretty cool, though I thought they were clustered together and kind of made it like "Look what we can do!!" But hey, they can do it well, hehe.

From the moment Anakin and Padme got chained to those big pillars, the movie didn't stop. I loved it all.

M. Scott

3. predinator

predinator Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2001
    I have just come home from my second viewing of the film. I went to see it an hour after the first time id seen it!
    But im still not sure what my feelings about it are. All you guys saying its the second best are all talking rubbish. You have fallen into the hype badly.
    When I saw the Phantom Menace I thought it was excellent, but when ever I watch the DVD now, I always think "This is ***t" after its finished.
    The first trilogy will never be topped. EVER!

4. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Spoilers Ahead

I went into the theater with the opinions of critics in mind. All I kept thinking during the previews was, "It can't be bad, the trailers are too cool, too many..."
    To my amazement, AotC was not only a fantastic film, but it was presented in an unexpected way.

You were able to tell it was filmed with digital cameras and was intended for digital viewing. I'll be going down to downtown Disney this week to see it in digital. The digital cameras were only a hinderance to a few scenes that could have really done better with regular cameras (foggy coruscant, desert sequences...), other than that, the camera change was kind of nice.

The all around camera movements were different. For example, in the desert battle scene, it actually looked like a war going on. Kind of like a World War II movie, mixed with LotR's style violence, only with clones and robots. Everything looked SO real during these sequences, in fact, my only complaint is that in the scene where Padme is talking to the clonetrooper, the sand behind them looks really fake.

The CG was a little more than I expected for the most part. Yoda was amazing! Every time he came on the screen, something cool happened. I do miss the classic puppet Yoda, but it was a really cool thing to be able to see him in a more lifelike manner. Not to mention his saber battle with Dooku. When I heard about that, I thought it was going to be cheesy. Yoda walked on the screen, and everyone in the theater was like 'here it comes. THIS is going to be Lucas' downfall.'
    When Yoda started battling, everyone fell silent. The guy behing me was talking to his friend about how he didn't think that would look cool. And the Zam Wessel scenes were cool. She looks to the side when Anakin jumps on her speeder and you think you see her face change, and until the death scene, you don't realize that her face morphed during that scene. And Kamino...AWESOME effects there. Very Spielburgian there. Something you could have swore you saw in an A.I. style movie or something.

As for acting. It was all around fairly good. Some lines were a bit un-realistic, but this was character interaction at its best. Come on, Obi-Wan hugs Dex, a character not even in the studio with him. That's interaction for you. And the Anakin and Tusken thing, very creepy, very cool. I'm SO seeing this movie over and over this summer.

-Matt

5. jedi_slayer

jedi_slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2002
    Some one pinch me...i just came back from AOTC...my brain is filled with star wars...
    Man i love that movie, when i was watching it i was thinking..im actually sitting here watching this..it was pretty amazing.
    Loved the movie.
    >>Garrett
    Damn Natalie Portman is hot.

6. LadyTygress

LadyTygress Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2002
    Lucky buggers. I have to wait until the 25th to see it. It's the only time I'll have a chance (plus that's PAYDAY!)

Even then I'll have to squish it into the early afternoon because I'm packing that night to head to New York the next day.

In the meantime, I'll just read up on all the spoilers, and solicit dates for the showings to see how many times I get to see it for free. Well, I can wish, anyway.

7. Xerk

Xerk Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I just saw the movie! OMG it is sooooooo good! It is too good to express with words...

8. Kador

Kador Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2001
    In-friggin-credible!
    While I do agree with a few of you that the Padme/Anakin scenes were a bit stilted, the rest of the movie still rocked. My only serious beef is that he introduces so much in the movie, that it only barely scratches the surface in the Star Wars universe. WE WANT MORE!!!
    Minor beefs: a lot of the characters that we see are never introduced and only known if you read scripts/books/etc. And...

[SPOILER ALERT!]

Anakin's hand in the wedding sequence did look a bit primitive for the technology at the time

Plus, I'm not sure, will have to watch it again and again but, did anyone see any wookies?

9. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    Who all saw it on a digital projector? I literally live 2 miles away from a digital theater, Harkins Arrowhead Cinemas 18, (the first one listed at StarWars.com :D) and I must say that it was crystal clear. What an experience! :D

10. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
  11. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    What a treat for us fans to see a movie with that much creativity and skill put into it.

I'm blown away by a lot of the subtle effects like the clothes (especially the dress) that the Kaminoans wear or the amount of detail required for the Geonosians. Mind boggling.

If ILM (especially Rob Coleman and his character animation team) doesn't win an award for their work in this film I will self mutilate. 8-}

12. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Well I saw it today on a DLP screen.
    It was unbelievable. If you have the most remote chance to see it on one, do so. You won't be dissapointed.

13. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    I just got back. OH WOW! That had to the the biggest eye candy ever. Here are my thoughts, if any of you care.

Music: Very good.

Acting: Also very nice. Hayden and Natilie(spelling?) did well for the most part. Ewan was right on. Dooku was cool too. C-3PO...can we say, just about as annoying as Jar Jar. Gosh, he got on my nerves. His puns were SOOO stupid. Samuel L. Jackson also was very awesome in this movie. Jange Fett didn't strike me as evil as some other villians, but he was pretty good. The platform battle was sweet. Another complaint I have is when Padmae (spelling?) is lying on the sand. She's moaning in agony when a clone trooper askes, "Are you ok?" then she springs to her feet and says, "Yeah, I'm fine", what's up with that?

Effects: WOOOOOOOWWW! My gosh, those effects were sweet. Most effects looked quite real, while others, looked quite CG. The CG Yoda sucks realism wise, but as far as animation, quite sweet. Yoda looks VERY CG in every shot he's in. Also, Jar Jar doesn't quite look as real as he did in TPM. The only other effects that looked wrong were some sabers in some shots, because you could see an outline where the glow is. Also, some shots where Obi-Wan is on Genosis (spelling?) the background looks horribly fake. Most of us could do better in Terragen. The bluescreening was right on. The scene where Anakin is on a speeder on his way to the camp looks quite fake. BUT don't get me wrong, for the most part, everything looks EXCELLENT. Oh one more think about the effects. The hallway scene was NOT fixed and still looked terrible.

Overall: Very excellent film. Much more action packed than any other Star Wars movie.

14. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    WOOO HOOOOO!!!

That was incredible!! Just got home from the last showing of the night and I was totally blown away!

Yoda is a bada**!! His animation was amazing as well!

I am a reinvigorated Star Wars fan! The film was so much better than TPM. AOTC was very clear and altogether a much cleaner film. I loved it!!!

Go YODA!

-tm

EDIT: WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!

15. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    SPOILERS (you were warned at the first post, anyways, if you read it.)

My favorite part of the overall experience was how the movie tied into the Expanded Universe. The mention of Ansion, a bunch of various little visual clues. Did I see a nekk in the arena scene? Or was that a gundark? I need to check the visual dictionary. That and there was so much going on. This even replaces Empire in my book.

And the situation between the Tusken Raiders and the Tatooinian colonists kind of reminded me of the situation that existed between the Native Americans and American settlers in the 1800's. Thought provoking...

And of course it's my understanding that this movie took place over the span of several weeks to a month. Most of it through hyperspace. But the way it was edited did make it seem that the love story evolved too quickly. You can only pack so much into a movie though!

The camera tracking up after the opening crawl... unexpected. The ship blowing up... Big surprise. I wasn't expecting that.

C3P0's "What a drag" quote seemed to be lifted right out of Dark Redemption.

Anakin's accidental amputation was a total surprise. George has a thing with taking apart his characters, doesn't he? To borrow a quote from Anthony Daniels, it's like pulling the wings off of flies. =P

Chris
    Ultimate fanboy

p.s. What happened to the Senators? I don't think I saw the Orn Fee Ta Twi'lek senator guy once....

16. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    This movie left me wanting to see more prequels! I want to see where Palpatine came from and why he stated doing that things he does.

Pete

17. DarthMoves

DarthMoves Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    I saw it twice yesterday in Cannes, France. The forst showing was at 11:30am. I thought the movie kick some major arse with the execption of some flat acting. Anyhoo, at the midnight showing, I had to wear a bowtie and tux because the big guy was there! GL was in attendence! What a night. I will have pictures when I return.

18. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Anyone else find it ironic that you have to wear a bowtie to see George Lucas?, the guy who spends his life in plaid shirts, blue jeans and 'sneakers' :)

19. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    OK- saw it last night- WOW....
    First, the bad...
    The pacing was not good in the first hour. Sure, you need some exposition but could have been tighter.
    Anakin/Padme romance didn't work for me- It felt forced and her declaration of love at the arena just seemed unnatural for some reason.
    Some of the cheesy dialog needed to get cut.
    Now the good...
    Visually, there is no equal to this film.
    The speeder chase scene was truly thrilling.
    The humor really worked.
    Yoda rocked. I actually got goosebumps during his fight scene cause it was so good. When was the last time that happened in a movie?
    Acting was decent- No really bad acting- even the bit players were good.
    Jango was awesome. The seismic charges in the asteroid field were different and amazing to see and hear. I love how they went off, then that awesome sound effect came in delayed. Brilliant.
    The saber battles were awesome and Dooku was played brilliantly.

A few questions....
    What happened to Aura Sing? Wan't she supposed to have a part in Ep2?
    Why does C3PO sound so much gayer than in the Originals?
    How can this be PG? 4 decapitations and 2 dismemberments, not to mention the Winged creatures getting sliced in two. I'm not complaining, just curious.

20. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    pixel, remember the CG yoda is supposed to look like the puppet and I'm sure it is very, very hard to make it look excatly the same

21. blaze1

blaze1 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2000
    Saw AOTC yesterday morning. First show. Man I loved it. It was so much better than I thought it would be. I has brought out the geek in me. I think I am going to have to buy some star wars action figures for this film.
    This movie summer is amazing AOFC and Spiderman both kick ASS! Now I have to figure out which movie i like more. I guess I will have to see AOTC again to make my mind up.
    See you at the theatre.

22. Superchunk

Superchunk Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2000
    Saw the movie last night at 10:15PM GREAT FILM! Very violent compared to the others but I enjoyed the story and effects. Yoda got the biggest applause in the theater.

***SPOILER ALERT*****

During the final battle, both Anakin and Obi get replacement lightsabers from the Jedi reinforcements. I was impressed by this since in the future, lightsaber parts and the construction of one is a big challenge. Can one assume that the Jedi Order had a few spares lying around?

23. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    "How can this be PG? 4 decapitations and 2 dismemberments, not to mention the Winged creatures getting sliced in two."

Yes, but no blood, and all done with lightsabers, which makes it "fantasy violence".

Two of those decapitations were Threepio, I assume you mean. As a droid who feels no pain and continued talking the whole time (which doesn't make a LOT of sense as in ESB he got the crap blown out of him and needed to be reassembled first), it's not that bad.

One was barely seen as it iris wiped away (the Tusken), and Jango, again, had no blood and in fact just looked like an empty helmet. No bloody stump, very cleanly done. (Both of these got applause in the theater.)

As it goes: Yeah, I think the Academy probably had some spares lying around. The ones the younglings use maybe?

It's a big challenge "later on" because the Jedi Academy has been disbanded and lightsabers are illegal. Hence the parts are not nearly so readily available (and the sabers look less sleek and machined).

M. Scott

24. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Actually, he beheaded 3 tusken raiders (2 outside the tent, then the one that approached him) and then Mace took off Jango's head. I didn't count 3P0. Bottom line is, I guess blood is the key factor (or the lack of it I mean)

25. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Yeah, after Anakin took of the Tusken Raiders head, his dark side really did show through. And when Mace took off Jango's head.....that was a big surprise. Oh yeah, and YODA IS THE MASTER.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.