main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Optimistic Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by koonfan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Because that's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more! [face_good_luck]

Setting aside whatever personal issues I may have, I've decided to issue a challenge/social experiment:
    Find something genuinely, honestly good to say about Season 3, and back it up with reasons.

I just figured that with everything going on in this first third of the season, it'd be nice to have a place as a little oasis for people who actually liked what they saw. Regain our bearings and help us last until the good stuff arrives. Plus, while your mileage may vary, I always thought that looking for the GOOD in something was a nifty exercise for developing analytical skills. [face_laugh]

At its most basic level, this thread is basically about finding valid, well thought out praise about scenes or stories we've seen so far in the season, whether it's from the opening premiere or the latest string of episodes. General themes? Individual scenes? Implications? Music? Action? Whatever works! State what you liked, and bring up your reasons and/or examples.

Some general rules I feel I should mention as a framework:
    1. No flaming other users for having an opinion, even if it differs from/clashes with yours. By extension, please avoid indirect insults (e.g. Unlike SOME people here *coughnamecough*, I really liked this) or blanket statements targeted at the issues raised (e.g. Anyone who thinks that must be a MORON).

2. As a discussion thread, you are allowed to discuss, question, or challenge a person's findings. However, please do so in a civil manner and not for the sake of baiting or arguing. If you find that you are still not convinced, I would recommend respectfully bowing out of the discussion. What you may find disagreeable, another may find a worthy effort.

3. If you plan to participate (key word: PARTICIPATE. Engage in activities relative to what is stated by the thread title), be genuine. Don't just come in here to deliver a flippant comment/emoticon that doesn't add anything. I can appreciate a bit of venting, but please be CLEAR on how you feel it's worth mentioning. Saying "Well, at least the episodes existed" doesn't amount to much. Adding "They were able to avoid long breaks so far" helps us to understand where you're coming from.

4. Technically, you ARE allowed to make a comparison of negatives (e.g. Ahsoka was less bratty here than in the last season), but please phrase all opinions carefully in order to avoid unnecessary bloodshed.

5. Conversely, if someone initiates a flame/critique/bash, please respond calmly and do not engage. Again, calmly state and elaborate on your point, and don't make it an attack on them or their beliefs. They have just as much a right to it as you do.

6. Joking is good. Joking is fun. But please be CLEAR on WHEN and WHAT you're joking about. As fun as it is to laugh at another person's expense, I'm afraid "It's making the EU fans suffer" just isn't going to cut it as a point. :p

7. As a general rule of thumb, I'm aware that some people cling to their points of view very closely and cannot be dissuaded easily. If things are getting hard to read for you, if you cannot put up with saccharine accolades or people stretching to find something good in this abysmal season, then the only thing I can recommend is to stay away or stay silent. Trust me, this is not about 'getting rid' of anybody, it's about a genuine concern for our mental health. That's how I feel recently. It'll save you a lot of grief if you just let it be. [face_beatup]

And to start off, I'll try a couple of short ones...
    Prequel episodes! Yeah, it's confusing, it's filler, and it does a number on the flow of the story. But it's interesting, and I felt that of all the prequel episodes, Supply Lines was a hidden gem. It had great action in the form of a desperate last st

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I do suppose some therapy is in order. Here goes...

I liked 99. I liked that whole story. I yelled 'NO!' at my TV when he died.

I liked seeing Satine losing it.

I liked the Mandalorian architecture.

I liked Jar Jar.

I liked the Tridents.

I liked Aurra Sing's new looks.

I liked the evil looking green Egyptians.

I liked Ventress kissing the ARC trooper, but then they cut it. :p

3. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    See, there you go, Humble. Thanks for participating...I understand the show's been tough on you lately, so your valour is appreciated. :p

4. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    I've enjoyed every single episode of season 3 thus far. Things I will point out are:

-Seeing Mandalore again, and how corruption is taking hold of its government
    -Being able to see more Kamino
    -A look at what Clone Cadets go through to become troopers, and how awesome the training room looks
    -Shaak Ti
    -Ahsoka having visions
    -Aurra Sing and her new outfit
    -As Humble_Jedi said, I loved the scene where Asajj kisses the ARC trooper. A good portrayal of her seductive side
    -The battle of Kamino

I could go on and on and on and on.... but I'll stop there. :p

5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Seeing Echo, Fives, and Hevy again. Bric was decent too.

That's it. I can't find anything else without criticizing it.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I genuinely enjoyed the death of 99. For a variety of reasons. I had grown to hate him with such a fierce passion throughout the entire episode, yet it became a twisted form of hatred the more time passed. It became so twisted that I was literally thinking over and over in my head "The handicapped man must DIE." And yet I knew that he wouldn't - it would never happen, because he's deformed, and you can't have a deformed character brutally murdered at the end of a children's cartoon when the moral is that he's equal to everyone else. And yet they did brutally murder him. And I laughed. Oh, how I laughed. I laughed at their treatment of the handicapped, of the deformed. It was as if George Lucas crept into my dark bedroom and whispered in my ear oh so softly, "This is where the handicapped belong!" And I laughed again at what a deliciously horrible moral they gave that episode.

And I do mean that all in a positive way, mind you. It may sound negative, but there is true glee there. 100%.

7. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Hey, no worries, I can sort of see where you're coming from. I personally liked 99, but it's interesting when we can be surprised like that. Thanks for sharing. :p

Another thing I liked was Padme's portrayal in Assassin. Reactions have been mixed from many different angles, but I thought it was the best, most well-rounded showing of her yet, and my reasons are as follows...
    -Padme was devoted to her duty, but she was smart. She went for the conference, but when it became clear that there was a threat present, she took precautions. She didn't flinch from her duty, but she didn't run off trying to be Lara Croft. There's a place for Padme as an action star, true, but I think this was one of the best showings of her so far.
    -Padme was also a good sister/mother figure to Ahsoka. I always thought that a sense of understanding was a good point of the character, and it made sense to me that she would want to guide someone who's been like a little sister to Anakin.

8. CadBane

CadBane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2009
    I found the background environments of Mandalore and Alderaan breathtakingly exhilarating in it's detail.

[image=http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/2226/aurraass.png]

Although I never thought I would see Aurra Sing's ass in high definition :eek:

9. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I loved the season premiere. I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing about them. Assassin was entertaining as well.

As for the others...I like that they are testing the water in terms of introducing politics to the show. They may be terribly, mind-numbingly boring right now, but the idea has potential and I think that of the TCW team really applies themselves, they can really make future political episodes work.

Darthgoodguy likes this.
  10. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

11. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    The Clone Cadets episode was one of the first I could find nothing negative to say. It kind of bothered me that the Republic had to hire mercenaries to train these top-of-the-line soldiers, but compared to the amount of vitriol I usually unleash about this show, it's a start. Same with Rookies. I enjoyed the interaction between the characters, even if my nitpicking brain was still on overdrive.

12. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Padme's characterization in Assassin was the first time I likes her character since the beginning of Season 1. But kudos to LFL for that. =D=

13. CadBane

CadBane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2009
    From the aptly named Assassin, I was somewhat amused at the detail and angles shown of Aurra during her air-conditioning(?) duct crawl.

The animation of Alderaan was crisp, brilliant, and film-like. Another aspect of this season and previous ones, is the attention paid to the sound quality i.e. the roar of the Naboo Starship's engines etc.

14. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Indeed. While the execution and writing have been up for debate, I think they haven't done too bad. Plus, I'm of the opinion that they've shown the ability to learn from their mistakes.

They still need to work on putting in strong character writing, of course, but mechanically, I thought the latest political episodes showed some improvements over the ones from the previous seasons. They just need to fine tune their execution.
    -They were actually pretty CLEAR on some of the workings behind the TF's neutrality or how the war was affecting Mandalore. Or at least, I understood it. That helps paint the bigger picture of the war.
    -They featured an action piece to hold our attention or at least try to end with a bang. That provides a bit of balance and entertainment.

Now, just work in some genuine character connections we can feel, throw in some hilarious Tan Divo if need be, and I think we might be on to something. [face_laugh]

15. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    I really enjoyed watching Ahsoka grow as a Jedi in these past few episodes. I can honestly say, and I've pointed this out in other threads, that the Ahsokacentric episodes this season have been her best of the entire series. I've never been one of her most vocal fans, but she really won me over this season. She's become more of her own character and not just "Anakin's Padawan."

Once I get my seasons one and two box sets in the mail, I'm going to rewatch her episodes from this season and then go back and watch her episodes from the previous seasons and see if my opinion of her changes. I have a feeling that it might.

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Like the introduction of phase II armor in 302.

Loved the Toydaria design and the use of Jar Jar in 303. Really nice episode.

304 links TCW, TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH and ROTJ all together and makes it all seem like one seamless universe. I also liked Ahsoka and Chuchi in this episode.

305 and 306 featured some really beautiful design work for Mandalore. I can't get enough of that planet--the aesthetic is just gorgeous.

307 was exquisite. The Alderaan designs were particularly well thought-out and recalled so much of McQuarrie's work, and Leia's motif was icing on the cake. Plus the tension was palpable. Also liked the Blade Runner reference.

Overall, I also like the TF playing the "neutral" card and the bizarro chronology of things. Each episode is a story unto itself but also part of a larger story, as with the films. Fantastic.

I'm not really a big fan of the all-out action episodes such as Landing at Point Rain, but I loved Senate Spy, so this season has been very enjoyable for me. I think it'll play more strongly in the season set on DVD than in weekly installments, and it'll be a slow burner.

17. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I liked the subtle references to the Republic Commando series scattered throughout Cadets. Things like referencing the outside mercenary trainers, and the docking hook shaped like the Mythosaur symbol. Little stuff like that made me smile.

18. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    - Shaak Ti- and she even had a good voice- too much accent but similar enough to TFU-version
    - Kamino had great interior "sets" idea of clone cadets is great
    - Bric and El-Les- good characters good designs- good way to bring back cantina-aliens in believable role- rather than being strange beings in cantina they had purpose, a job and they were well created
    - Ventress is back- more evil than ever and with Grievous (Funny couple[face_laugh] )
    - Admiral Dao- third admiral we have seen and hopefully not last- but his voice was a failure.....
    - Jedi defeated by droids for once :eek:
    - Bail and Tantive4!
    - Return of the Lott Dod and explanation to political TF-situation
    - Riyo is back- and she had great outfit too
    - We saw Pantora and Papanoida-family
    - non-sep neimoidians with non-patterned ship- awesomeness
    - return to Mandalore (even though this was not well done)
    - Mentions of Commerce Guild and Corporate Alliance
    - Numerous new animation models for humans and improvement in facial expressions
    - music has been good in all episodes- this almost starts to feel like "real Star Wars" to me
    - Alderaan and return of Aurra Sing
    - we saw prison... now we just need that prison break[face_laugh]

19. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    (this thread is a surprising breath of fresh air!)

-I love how they've continued to develop Ahsoka. She's more mature, but still enjoyably feisty!
    -Padme's portrayal, especially in Assassin, has greatly improved.
    -The development of Ventress is highly anticipatory.
    -Shaak Ti is fantastic and I hope we see more of her.
    -I enjoyed Jar Jar's silly antics.

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Yeah it was good- didn't notice that hook though... did anyone else notice how Commander Colt -character sounded so much like that clone commander- caricature in "Clone Apart" (you know that series of fanmade comedyfilms made with Battlefront2, never completed because of the copyright issues) it made me LOL[face_laugh] - "We clones are organised and over all others...better than any man... or woman... except the jedi......and perhaps a Twi'lek.." No that's from Clone Apart but "Who want to be an Arc-trooper?!" - speech sounded nearly exactly similar[face_laugh]
    Dansen should have been in the cameo role too....

21. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Not a bad turnout. Very much appreciated that everyone has abided by the topic and contributed their findings. A special shout-out to people who're usually in detractor/critic/nitpicker mode for their focus here. Good work everyone. :p

We've already mentioned it at some point or another, but I'd like to bring it up again: Little details of body language and voice acting. Whether it's a student tapping his pencil, the resigned yet respectful sigh of Captain Keeli, or Master Di's clenched fist of RESOLVE upon seeing his trusted right hand gunned down, I think those little things help to tell a lot in a short time without saying much of anything else. :D

22. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    I mostly liked:

- Shaak Ti appearing
    - Di's death and the order 66 feel to it
    - Music in Assassin (Yoda's theme and Leia's theme)

23. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Mentioning Master Di, koonfan, the part I liked is when he stroked Syndulla's mount as if to calm it down, it showed that even though he was in the midst of a desperate battle, he had time to show some compassion.

And man, I LOL'ed so hard at the Ventress/Grievous banter in 'ARC Troopers':p

And in this season, it seems the action flows better: the lightsaber duels, Ahsoka drop kicking Mandalorian guards(even though I thought some of that was a bit over-the-top.), the clones fighting; it all looked so realistic.

And I'm not a huge Jar Jar fan, but man, I couldn't help but appreciate the animation and flow of that plate juggling scene(and not to mention, the return of Ahmed Best!:D )

Well, I think that's it for now(haven't seen Assassin yet and I'm looking forward to the next two episodes...my favorite bounty hunter is back![face_dancing] )

24. CadB

CadB Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2010
    -The Death of 99

- The Death of Master di

- The Battle of Kamino

- The bar fight

25. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Elements from this show recently got me back into writing Star Wars fanfic after a month-long hiatus.

And that doesn't sound like much, but it was for me. :p