main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Orange Box

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediKnight20043, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Soon we get the pleasures of one of the best new game deals I have seen in a long time.

The Orange Box contains:

Half-Life 2
    Half-Life 2: Episode 1
    Half-Life 2: Episode 2
    Portal
    Team Fortress 2

Not only is it a great deal but with the option of giving HL2 and Ep1 to someone else. And TF2 being released early for those who preorder it on steam.

I cant wait!!

Anyone else getting this?

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I saw this on play.com not long ago, and it's tempting. I was going to get the Holiday Pack, but that only has Half-Life 2, Deathmatch and Episode 1. I'll probably get it, I've not got HL2 and I've been wanting it since it came out.

3. The_Crow

The_Crow Jedi Master star 4

Jan 10, 2006
    I've been waiting so long for that. Finally!!

4. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    Half-Life 2 is easily one of the greatest games ever made, and I've been waiting a long time for Episode 2. Hopefully Episode 3 won't take as long in terms of development.

5. Anakin_Sockwalker

Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    TF2 is awesome.

6. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Waiting for this forever. I can't wait for TF2.

7. The_Crow

The_Crow Jedi Master star 4

Jan 10, 2006
    Well, we're talking about Valve, so...

8. Old_Republic_Knight

Old_Republic_Knight Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2004
    i got it!
    TF2 is good, but tis only beta so limited maps are lame
    the classes rock! im havin alot of fun with the game...so much so that i havent touched HL2 or any of the expansions yet :p

9. Anakin_Sockwalker

Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    I love it how a when a friendly spy is disguised as an enemy all you see is a paper mask on him.

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I pre-purchased it (because I calculated it's actually slightly cheaper on steam, because of the weak Dollar) and even though I hate Multiplayer shooters, the Team Fortress 2 beta helped me stay up all night in order to watch Formula1 live from Japan :p

You get something else, though: Peggle extreme. That's actually quite fun, but mostly because of the ridiculous Orange Box themed levels, mixed with happy fluffy animals and rainbows :p

11. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    I'm trying to make sure it will run smoothly on my MacBook's Windows interface, but I've seen Half-Life 2 run on Boot Camp so I'm assuming I'll be alright. So all things considered, I'll probably be getting this on launch day.

12. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The Orange Box would be a bargain at twice the price, especially for the console guys who haven't played HL2 and Episode 1. I'm buying it via Steam; let's just hope it doesn't choke on release day.

If you haven't seen Valve's hilarious Team Fortress 2 character-introductions, you should definitely watch them:

Also, some cool stuff about character design:

However, if you buy it through Amazon, you won't be able to do the beta.

13. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I am totally going to get this when it comes out on the 360. I played Episode 1 on my roommate's computer, and that was easily the best FPS I have ever played. I am sort of confused. I assume HL2 is something different than Episode 1.

14. Old_Republic_Knight

Old_Republic_Knight Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2004
    its an expansion like ep 2 and lost oasis or something lol

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Half Life 2 was the original game. Episode 1 and Episode 2 are sequels, part of a trilogy that is the equivalent of Half-Life 3.

16. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    which should totally have kept the name "Aftermath"...

17. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Episode 1 came up as Aftermath a few times, I'm guessing it's full title is 'Half Life 2 - Episode 1: Aftermath' or somesuch.

Edit: and I've just pre-ordered my copy of Orange Box. :cool:

18. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Last night's defense of Tower C in "Gravel Pit" was epic. *EPIC*.

Decloaking a Spy with a good wrench-smack, and then letting your sentry-gun turn him into meaty bits is fun.

19. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Episode 1 was called Aftermath for a very long time until the title got changed relatively shortly before release. There is no installement named "Aftermath" in the whole Half-Life universe.

I'm useless at Tower C as each and every class, both defense and attack. A works just fine, B I can manage (sort of), C I mainly work as distraction-kills giving my teammates 10 second more to live [face_frustrated]

20. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    From a tech point of view, this game is doing A LOT more than the base Half-Life 2 engine.

Motion-blur, enhanced HDR lighting system, new renderer, and a brand new particle-subsystem. And it has the highest texture resolution of any game they've ever released (at least based on what Photoshop is telling me). So yeah, its doing far more than HL2...don't worry about the lower FPS.

And I think this is the best game Valve has ever made since the HL series, easily.

Funniest moment in my last night's TF2 session was when, as a Medic, I was with another Medic when an enemy Pyro attacked. We started healing each other, and the Pyro just kept shooting at us without making any real damage. After a while, a friendly soldier showed up and killed the Pyro.

Which brings me to a question: When you set someone on fire as a Pyro, does it matter if you keep on throwing flames at him, or does he just take the same amount of damage as long as he's on fire?

21. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    Oooh, I so cannot wait for the game.Does anyone know when the release date is?

22. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    9th or 10th of October I beleive.

23. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Scratch my earlier question.

If you set somebody on fire, they'll take damage for a bit, and it CAN kill them. But the brunt of your damage is going to be spraying them with the Flamethrower itself, which does MASSIVE damage at point-blank range. It can kill in a matter of seconds.

I've been reading that some people really dislike the art direction for this game. To me, that's almost like disliking sunshine or fresh air.

Also, this is what ****ing happens to you if you kill my Medic:

[image=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd299/nisus9/omrgrinchoislookinggood.jpg]

24. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Lol, dudes well all have to hook up on a server at some point and play.

My computer should arrive at uni within a couple of weeks then its play time.

25. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    I just pre-purchased it the other day. It doesn't look half bad and I agree, it is a bargain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.