main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Orange Box

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JediKnight20043, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I forgot specifics, but when I replayed it years later, well after HL2, I found it a lot harder than originally. At the same time, previously difficult parts seemed much easier.
    What have modern games done to my HL-skills? :p

and I wouldn't mind $10 for BM either, which is what they charge for everything else, which they do all by themselves. So... which business practices?

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Which business practices? Oh, I dunno...like their re-packaging all their games ad-nauseum every other year or so; making you use crappy Steam (no, I've never liked it) to activate/play their games; offer "episodic content" which now comes out every other year or so; offer what is a blatant HL2 mod as a full-priced game (I'm looking at you, Left 4 Dead). Those business practices. Then again, maybe their hooking up with EA seems obvious now, sicne they're just as bad.

3. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Valve's general approach to popular mods is to give the team who made them jobs. Which is bragable.

Also, Left 4 Dead is so much better than just a simple little mod :( It's an amazing patch on the source engine, on top of one of the finest zombie shooters I've EVER played.

Also, to be fair, Valve's buisness practices have kept me very happy for the last few years, they keep supporting, patching and updating all their games (even the really old ones, Half Life 1 was updated last on the 24th October 2008), they're happy to give EVERYONE the tools to develop Source Games and develop games for Steam, and are ALWAYS developing and spewing out new content for their games, there's usually a full-on new Team Fortress 2 content expansion every few months, and they've promised new campaigns (and presumably weapons) for Left 4 Dead too. All the stuff on Steam is pretty competatively priced too, I bought the Eidos Everything Pack earlier this year for $100, which is equivilent to the price of two new games, and I walked away with the two latest Tomb Raider games, and all the Commandos games, and the Deus Ex games, and all the Hitman Games and a load of other stuff too.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
  5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.