main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE ORDER OF THE SITH - Best Fanfilm

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by gjg554, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    ok I've seen this topic this morning, and I wasn't warm enough to say anything. Now I've read everything and would like to add (no offences of course) that I was quiet worried at the beginning to see a film that would have almost the same name as mine (Sith Order :) ) and a guy who said it will be the best ever. But finally I watched the site, and I'm not affraid anymore :) , because when someone says it will be the best film ever, and isn't able to show some personnal work except a pic and some models grabed from scifi 3d, what a challenge :)

anyway I know which film will be the best ever. It's not mine, but I eared about an ass kicking project with the best cg artists around ( and me :) )

2. FanfilmFan

FanfilmFan Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2002
    That sentence by Griffin Gould is illiterate. Anyway, my opinion is that this is some 17 year old high school student with a lot of ambition. Will he top Duality? No. Is it cool that he wants to top Duality? Yes. Good luck kid.

3. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Should I be a prick and re-make the splash picture on his site MY way? (read: GOOD) [face_laugh]

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Oops, I upset a mod :D

5. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Man i hate this keypad, every time i type a word some letters are missed out...."dang nab it!".....anyway...please. lets see the intro screen your way.....hehehehe...

u could cut through the tention in here with a knife man... :D

6. Jedi2016

Jun 3, 2000
    I didn't really feel like going overly fancy with this pic, but here's my take on the "splash" image from LightArts.com:

*yawn*

[image=http://www.jedi2016.com/starwars/cor_comp1_t.jpg]

Click here for full-sized image

Watermarked simply because they've already shown a proclivity for nabbing artwork from other webpages.

Note the main differences in the image. More than one light in the scene, specularity, raytraced reflections, and a definite dynamic look to the movement of the ships. Oh, and I also decided to actually turn ON the fighters' engines. Please note that I also included the proper CREDIT for the supplied models.

7. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Jedi2016 That is cool and all but I would be even more impressed if all the fighters didn?t have the same R2 unit. :p

8. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Jedi2016, I don't get this whole thing... did he steal that pic or something? And what do you want to demonstrate with the pic you've done?

Carl

9. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    I won't comment on this film... but personally, I didn't like duality. I thought it was rather boring [face_plain]

Just my opinion, nothin wrong with that, right? ?[face_plain]

~DK~

10. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    dezion are you ok? though i think he men best duality in visual effects not story because that has alread been done

11. Jedi2016

Jun 3, 2000
    There's another pic on his site that came from Sci-Fi 3D's Art section, but there's nothing to indicate that's where it came from. That usually indicates the person wishes to pass it off as their own. The image on their main page also includes several meshes from Sci-Fi 3D, but none are credited, going against SF3D's pop-up reminder about credits.

I was proving the point about their claim of "beating Duality". Since Duality has very little plot and storyline (at the creator's admission), he must mean he's going to beat them visually. Duality to this day remains one of the most visually impressive fanfilms to date. My point was that he can't expect to beat Duality's visuals if he can't make a simple space picture. That picture I made uses the SAME models from Sci-Fi 3D. It's also a very basic picture compared to some of my other recent work, I didn't pull out all the stops because, frankly, I didn't have to.

I said that I'm not worried about this "best fanfilm's" visuals being any sort of competition to my own. Dr. Jones said the same thing. That picture I posted shows you WHY we feel this way, and WHY we feel that the claim of "beating Duality" would be like me grabbing my PC webcam and two teenagers in my backyard to make a movie to beat "A Beautiful Mind". Puh-leeze.

12. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    Jedi2016 just wants to demonstrate that his talents far exceed most others who claim that they are "the best".
    I happen to agree with him 110%. :D

13. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    From their site:

Welcome to the new era of Star Wars?. Set before episode 1, The Order of the Sith will be a fan film to rule all others.

Once again, I'd like to see your "friend" prove this.

14. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Tee-hee.

Cya
    Mike

15. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    I think everyone is being a little mean here. From what we know of the creators, perhaps we should give him a little advice to make his FanFilm the "best ever", or at least competitive, and a lesson in manners.

I will start with manners.

Don't assume to have something better before you have a finished product.

16. Darth Virru

Darth Virru Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    Don't assume you have something better even with a finished product. :p

17. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well said, David.

Frankly I think this is all a load of hot air and poppycock. They can think whatever they want, but when they're three months (or three years) past their deadline, their ships won't move like they want them to, and attempts at re-texturing have left them with polygons inside-out and a grunge map from hell (or none at all), they'll have less to shout from the mountaintops.

Good luck on your film, but really it's not a good idea to toot your own horn. Let others do it for you and just do the best you can. If you set the bar too high, you'll never clear it, no matter what the Little Engine that Could taught you.

M. Scott

18. ID2002

ID2002 Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2002
    "don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed, its power is insignificant next to the power of the force"
    (Darth Vader)

...in short, your ego is filling the vacuum of space. Be reallistic.

19. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
  20. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    perhaps we should give him a little advice to make his FanFilm the "best ever", or at least competitive, and a lesson in manners.

Since when did fanfilm making become a competition? I mean, I know there can be competitions on aspects of fanfilm making, but movie making is for fun and for all to enjoy.

It's not a competition and it never will be. Period.

I will not encourage people to make their fanfilms "competetive". Ever.

Cya
    Mike

21. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    Nor do I, however it seems this perosn apparently does.

22. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    Halibut: Classy, too. Cheers.

23. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    Hey Rive, kinda cool when everybody wants to beat you, huh? :)

24. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    I find it weird that mister cocky hasnt posted anything in self defence. With luck, he might even feel discouraged in doing this film at all.
    But, as the crazed and ignorant MGS fans told Wixmmm: "The rule of amateur filmmaking is if you can't pull it off, don't do it at all".

I suggest not taking notice of this, but don't come crying to us when you haven't reached your set standard or you've bearely reached it. ;)

Carl

25. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I too would like to beat Lord_Rive, but as that's nothing to do with Fan Films, I guess it's off topic :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.