main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NM The ORFF Expanded Universe Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jaina Byrd, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    Hi guys! I figured if anyone was going to start this, it would be me. This will probably be spoilerrific, but if there is a spoiler, go ahead and use the [hl = black][color = black] (without the spaces) to hide it. That way, people can avoid spoilers, but others can talk about it. Here's how it works: (Warning! SPOILERS! :p)
    VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMGZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! Highlight it to read. :p

Anyway, this thread can also be used for NON-EU (Expanded Universe) Star Wars fans to find out what has happened to their favorite characters.

I'm reading the newest SW:EU release, "Dark Nest 1: The Joiner King" right now, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I'm only 253 pages in, but OHMIGOSH, I HOPE LUKE FINDS OUT ABOUT HIS MOTHER!!!

2. Red_8

Red_8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2004
    Write now I am reading The New Jedi Order: Onslaught. I only recently got into The EU. I finished Vector Prime a while ago. I cant believe that Chewie is dead. It was so sad the way that Han blamed Anakin for his death.

3. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Yeah... it gets worse, I promise! :(

4. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jedi_Master_Xiania Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2004

I'm fairly new to extended universe, as I'm barely reading the Heir to the Empire, three book cycle series Angie gave me. I really like what I've read so far. Awesome stuff. I was really against EU for a long time, thinking "Oh I don't need EU! I've got the OT and the PT and that's it for me!" Well, Angie sort of convinced me to try it and I'd like it, and yes I like it. LOL. I've got a long way to go. I read one other SW EU book before this, but I'm having trouble finding out the name of it!!

5. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    There are two books that are continuation of the Heir trilogy. If you ever want to read them let me know. I have all five. I do have a lot of books but I haven't read all of them yet. But throughout the whole Heir series you do see the hate between Mara Jade and Luke turn into love and finally an engagement.

6. Red_8

Jul 31, 2004

What Do you mean? How do things get worse?

7. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Do you want to be spoiled really badly? ;)

8. Red_8

Jul 31, 2004
    of course I do. You are talking to the guy that read the revenge of the sith book a few days before the movie came out

9. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Alright, well, here it is.

As soon as Han begins to forgive Anakin, all the Young Jedi head out on a mission to kill the voxyns on Myrkyr, which are these monsters that can sense and hunt down Jedi. All these young Jedi go, and five die, and one goes missing. One of the five that dies is Anakin... it's very, very depressing.

10. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Red is right. Give him any spoilers and he'll read them (and then try to use his powers on me :p ).

I on the other hand won't so I have a feeling it might be a while before I get into the book talks.

11. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Well, if you need any suggestions on what to read, just ask. ;)

12. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks. I'm kind of booked (literally) with all of the spare time books that I bought and am trying to read; plus I still have the required school books I need to read so it might take me a while to get around to some Star War books. But I have read a few EU books, just not in a while. (sorry for the rambling, I tend to do that. Funny how I'm not like this in RL when it comes to the actual talking aspect. Kind of ironic in a way.)

13. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Which books have you all read?

14. Red_8

Jul 31, 2004
    I cant belive it. For some reason, I thought that Anakin would follow in his grandfathers foot steps, but I guess not. What is the name of the book that he dies in?

15. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    AGGHH!! BLACK IT OUT! QUICK!

And it's in Star By Star.

16. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Here is a list of the books that I've read:

Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith
    Tatooine Ghost (My all time favorite![face_dancing])
    Truce At Bakura
    Black Fleet Crisis: Before the Storm
    Black Fleet Crisis: Shield of Lies
    Black Fleet Crisis: Tyrant's Test
    Heir To the Empire
    Dark Force Rising

It's not much but that's because I've been trying to balance reading other sci-fi books, school reading, and books by Nicholas Sparks.

17. Jedi_Master_Xiania

Jedi_Master_Xiania Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2004
    I've read even less Ronnie:

1. Attack of the Clones
    2. Labryinth of Evil
    3. Heir to the Empire

18. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    I so badly want to read Labryinth of Evil. Is it any good?

19. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    I haven't read it myself, but most people enjoyed it.

I'll now post my list. :p

If they're pink, I highly recommend them. If they're green, I hated them.

Jedi Apprentice: The Rising Force
    Jedi Apprentice: The Dark Rival
    Jedi Apprentice: The Hidden Past
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith

Han Solo Trilogy: The Paradise Snare
    Han Solo Trilogy: The Hutt Gambit
    Han Solo Trilogy: Rebel Dawn
    Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye
    Tales of the Bounty Hunters

The Truce at Bakura
    The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost

Thrawn Trilogy: Heir to the Empire
    Thrawn Trilogy: Dark Force Rising
    Thrawn Trilogy: The Last Command
    Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search
    Jedi Academy Trilogy: Dark Apprentice
    Jedi Academy Trilogy: Champions of the Force
    Children of the Jedi
    Darksaber
    Planet of Twilight

Crystal Star
    Black Fleet Crisis: Before the Storm
    Black Fleet Crisis: Shield of Lies

The New Rebellion
    Corellian Trilogy: Ambush at Corellia
    Corellian Trilogy: Ambush at Selonia
    Corellian Trilogy: Showdown at Centerpoint
    Hand of Thrawn: Specter of the Past

Junior Jedi Knights: The Golden Globe
    Junior Jedi Knights: Lyric's World
    Junior Jedi Knights: Promises
    Junior Jedi Knights: Anakin's Quest
    Junior Jedi Knights: Vader's Fortress
    Junior Jedi Knights: Kenobi's Blade

Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force
    Young Jedi Knights: Shadow Academy
    Young Jedi Knights: The Lost Ones
    Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers
    Young Jedi Knights: Darkest Knight
    Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Under Siege
    Young Jedi Knights: Shards of Alderaan
    Young Jedi Knights: Diversity Alliance
    Young Jedi Knights: Delusions of Grandeur
    Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Bounty
    Young Jedi Knights: The Emperor's Plague
    Young Jedi Knights: Return to Ord Mantell
    Young Jedi Knights: Trouble on Cloud City
    Young Jedi Knights: Crisis at Crystal Reef

Vector Prime
    Dark Tide I: Onslaught
    Dark Tide II: Ruin
    Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
    Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
    Balance Point
    Recovery
    Edge of Victory I: Conquest
    Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
    Star by Star
    Dark Journey
    Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
    Enemy Lines II: Rebel stand
    Traitor (HIGHLY recommended!)
    Destiny's Way
    Ylesia
    Force Heretic I: Remnant
    Force Heretic II: Refugee
    Force Heretic III: Reunion
    The Final Prophecy
    The Unifying Force

Currently working on: Dark Nest: The Joiner King.

*phew* ;) And I haven't read all of them. Probably about 1/4, I haven't read. How crazy is that?!

20. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Very crazy! But we're Star Wars fans. Being crazy is in the job description.[face_peace]

I got my Star Wars Insider #83 today and thought it would be cool to mention this book. It's titled "Star Wars Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" and it's by James Luceno. It comes out Nov.22nd and my parents have all ready given me the 'go' so I could get it. Here is a brief synopsis from SWI. Spoilers ye be warned!

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader begins on the Outer Rim world of Murkhana with Order 66 transmitted to clone troopers advancing with the Jedi against Separatist positions. But on Murkhana, a clone commando refuses to obey orders... Unfortunately for clones and Jedi alike, Palpatine dispatches Vader to Murkhana to investigate.

While Vader is a formidable foe in Dark Lord, he is yet to become the character we know from ANH... "There's a touch of Anakin left, but the dark side has posessed him," says Luceno.

It's not that Vader has regrents, Luceno says; rather, he's angry and confused, all too aware he's been manipulated by Darth Sidious...

Readers may be surprised by Vader's struggled with his prosthetic lims and his life-preserving armor...

We get to sit in on some of the first meetings between Vader and Moff Tarkin. And we visit ALderaan, where Bail Organa tries to solve the riddle of Vader's identity- and keep the new Sith Lord away from his infant stepdaughter and a certain pair of droids.

This book sounds very promising. Hoping it's as good as they say.

Funny, ever since E3 came out I was wishing that they would go more into detail. Guess some wishes come true after all.

21. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Whoa, that sounds awesome! Prosthetic limbs, Tarkin, and Alderaan. Awesome!

And, you don't have to worry about blacking that kind of thing out, since it's like an official description. :)

22. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    The Rise of Vader book sounds great. I think I will have to add that to the list of books I want to read. But man Jaina you have read a lot of books. I have to ask how you didn't like the Black Fleet Crisis. Everyone else that I know who has read them said they were great. I haven't read them yet but they are on the list as well. Also why haven't you read the last book in the Thrawn series. I must say though that so far it seems the nobody has read what I think is the greatest Star Wars book. It is all about Shadows of the Empire, the book that takes place between ESB and ROTJ. Right now I am finishing up the Bounty Hunter Wars series. They have been good, too. There is no way I am going to remember all the books I have read though.

23. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Black Fleet Crisis. It's kind of strange since they were made before TPM so it gives a whole different picture as to who Luke & Leia's mother was.

I wonder if they will ever re-do or create another book series where Luke (and possibly Leia) go on a mission to find out about their mother, Padme, so it can fit in with the movies now that we know who she was. I think Troy Denning should do something like what he did with Tatooine Ghost. Luke, Leia, and Han go on a mission except this time to Naboo and the twins find out information about their mother. But that's just me.

24. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Well, the Black Fleet Crisis was the first set of Star Wars books that I picked up. It's interesting how I got into the EU, actually. I was on a road-trip with my family to Illinois when I was 10 years old. At a gas station, I found a book that said "Star Wars: Black Fleet Crisis 1". I saw the "1" and thought OMG! Is this the Episode 1 that comes before the movies? (It was 1996, I believe, and Lucas's plans to make TPM had not been announced.) On the cover, it talked about Luke's mother and I was like, "awesome!"

Well, it was a wild goose-chase, with a really annoying woman in it. I was obviously led astray (or so I felt!), about it actually being about Luke's mother. Were Han and Leia doing anything in that book? Because I honestly don't remember. :p Nothing important became of that book, and it was really a waste of my time as a SW fan. It didn't have anything to do with a lot of the continuity.

Insofar as Luke and Leia finding out about their mother, I don't want to spoil anything, but things are headed in that direction (BIG TIME) in the book I'm reading right now, The Joiner King. So, read the New Jedi Order FAST (erg.. it took me a year), and get to TJK. ;)

25. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    It's strange how I can remember every possible Star Wars event in my life but I can't remember how I got into the EU books.

I'll have to read those books you mentioned (about Luke & Leia finding out about their mother).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.