main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The origin of the name Yuuzhan Vong(Possible NJO Spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Suzuki_Akira, Jul 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    I seem to recall Del Rey saying that the origin of the name Yuuzhan Vong was a major spoiler. I think that that piece of info was true, and so decided to do a bit of research into it. First language I checked turned up something: Yuukyuuzan. I couldn't find the definition of that, so I shortened it to the word 'yuuzan' and looked that up. I found yuuzansubiru and yuuzansu, meaning usance bill and usuance respectively. At first I thought it was a dead end-but then I tried variations on the spelling.
    Sure enough, the spelling of the first word in the mystery, "Yuuzhan", spelled "yusan" turned up a definition of excursion, or outing, which could refer to the Outer Rim, or questing outward from home, or could just be a coincidence. All this took me about 10 minutes. So before we launch a massive front of impatient, resourceful people looking for NJO spoilers, I'd like to verify if the tidbit about the origin of the name Yuuzhan Vong being a spoiler is true or not, and whether anyone actually thinks it's from a real language. And this was only about 5 to 10 minutes of relieving my curiosity, so no one be afraid to shoot down my hopes and dreams...

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I always thought that part of it was "Zahn" from Yuuzhan since timothy zahn sort of issued in the NJO with the hand of thrawn books.

3. Night-Mare

Night-Mare Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2003
    hmmm, it seems to rhyme with "Booze and Bong", :confused: [face_mischief] 8-}

4. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Does anyone know if the info that the name was a spoiler was fact or fiction?

5. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    I remember hearing that they saw it on a Vietnamese restaurant menu in New York somewhere...

6. lordnyax666

lordnyax666 Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2003
    the "spoiler" was released months ago in an insider. it said they got the name from a restaurant menu.

7. LuBusVassal

LuBusVassal Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Eating Yuuzhan Vong... GEh!m lol.

I remember there was a joke where the title came from an arguement between Genghis and Timothy Zhan.

Genghis: "You, Zhan, Are Wrong!"

And someone turned it to Yuuzhan R Vong and R was taken out.

8. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    So then Yuuzhan Vong is some sort of Vietnamese food? Does anybody have any deeper knowledge than that? like what type of food? As weird as it is, that could still lead to a nifty spoiler or corny yet lovable piece of trivia.

9. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Right now I'm trying to find a good, working Vietnamese to English Online Dictionary. For all we know, their food could be named 'Distant Moon' or something equally grandiose! Anyone know where I can get one?

10. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Genghis: "You, Zhan, Are Wrong!"

I thought the joke went that he ran up to him screaming "You! Zahn! Wrong!" :p

11. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
  12. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    One step closer to solving the great mystery! I 've found that the word vong means circle, revolution, or loop. Circle of life? Or something else? Speculate!

13. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    VERY interesting!

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Well, consider this innocuous factoid: there seems to be heck of a lot of words/places/names beginning with "Y" in Star Wars, quite a lot.

15. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    I have almost completely checked out my sources, and I'm quite sure that the word Yuuzhan does not come from Vietnamese. I believe it might have originated from the Japanese word yusan after all. I'll have to check that out. I think I'm going to do some research on Del Rey, to see if these words come from any of their home languages, so I know which ones to look up. If you guys have any leads, or if Yuuzhan sounds like something in a language you know, please keep posting, even if it's just speculation.

16. sithspit4

sithspit4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    You Zhan Wrong!

LMAO :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.