main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ORIGINAL NEW new Starbucks!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Grand Admiral Thran, Mar 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Originally posted by Jedi Trace: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Well, children are considered infants until they are 18 months old - in this galaxy at least. That's a year and a half still worthy of speculation, I'd say. Point taken and considered, Trace. I just grow VERY tired of those who INSIST that Leia MUST have been with Amidala until she was at LEAST 4 in order to remember her. Then again, in the ROTJ novel, Luke remembers his mother too. This debate is growing stale for me and <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I grow tired.... I think I'll just shut up about the whole thing and wait for Ep. 3 to prove that I'm right.

BTW, Trace, will ya help me out over at the MJFC? Those silly boys don't know who Sarah Brightman is! eek.gif

MTFBWYA,
    "T"

2. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    Okay...just one thing. If you're saying that it doesn't matter how young Leia was she would remember her mother because she's Force-sensitive, wouldn't it make sense that Luke would also have some sort of memories?

3. Jedi Callie

Jedi Callie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 1999
    Trace: haven't read 'em yet, but they're on my list . I've got a ton of books left to peruse through LOL, not to mention I just got Billie Letts' Where The Heart Is 'cause, well, I just adore this movie .

Taramidala: well, I never said Leia "must" have been a toddler LOL, I said her line implied she was a toddler at the time of her mother's death. Something in the way she says it implies to me that she was defintely older than a baby when she knew her. I can't put my finger on it, but that's just always how I've interpreted it. I could be 100% wrong--won't be the first time LOL.

I honestly think George didn't have the Amidala stuff fleshed out enough in his head when he wrote that scene. Lord knows I've had similar situations happen to me when I write under an assumption that something is going to happen (or had happened) and then when I come to it, oops! I realize it conflicts with something and I have to backtrack! Fortunately, I can do that, but poor George can't--over a billion people have already seen (and memorized every line of) the original trilogy, and whatever he does, he'll have to make sure everything meshes LOL.

So if that means making the twins itty bitty babies when they get separated, perhaps he'll do that, but he'll have to do that in a way so that it makes Leia's later line make sense... I'm not saying your Force-sensitive theory won't work, but he should make sure to show that so that there's no ambiguity, IMHO...

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    T: Well, I went over there with every intention of helping you out, but then I was so distracted by Kathy's post that I forgot! (What's THAT supposed to mean?!?) But, I bet if you found a link to the picture on the inside cover of Dive they'd pay attention to her - LOL!

5. Barbara Fett

Barbara Fett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 23, 1999
    JDJ: About "The Wait," I couldn't agree more. I was born in '86 so I'm currently in the middle of my very first wait between SW movies. I'm loving it! I admit that unlike most people, I don't share my speculations - that's because I believe and hope that a specific set of things will happen in II-III, and I don't really want to know anyone else's opinion, because that might mess up my opinion.
    Hmm, that sounded a bit selfish. What do you think? Should I discuss this in the Eps 2-3 forum, or not?

6. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    Jedi Callie: KT has a fan club. Are you interested in joining us?

Hunter

7. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Originally posted by Jedi Mistress: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Okay...just one thing. If you're saying that it doesn't matter how young Leia was she would remember her mother because she's Force-sensitive, wouldn't it make sense that Luke would also have some sort of memories? Yes, JM, it would. I think I mentioned that in my earlier post, but...memory fails. But, if I'm quoting the ROTJ novel again correctly, he does have a memory when he's talking to Ben on Dagobah right before the lightbulb turns on about Leia.

Originally posted by Jedi Callie: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>well, I never said Leia "must" have been a toddler LOL, I said her line implied she was a toddler at the time of her mother's death. Something in the way she says it implies to me that she was defintely older than a baby when she knew her. I can't put my finger on it, but that's just always how I've interpreted it. I could be 100% wrong--won't be the first time LOL.No, I don't think you're wrong at all. I'm just saying that she doesn't necessarily HAVE TO be of the age that WE in OUR galaxy consider old enough to have sufficient, sustantial memory.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I honestly think George didn't have the Amidala stuff fleshed out enough in his head when he wrote that scene. Lord knows I've had similar situations happen to me when I write under an assumption that something is going to happen (or had happened) and then when I come to it, oops! I realize it conflicts with something and I have to backtrack! Fortunately, I can do that, but poor George can't--over a billion people have already seen (and memorized every line of) the original trilogy, and whatever he does, he'll have to make sure everything meshes LOL. I agree. He should go reread the ROTJ novel, LOL!

Originally posted by Jedi Trace: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>But, I bet if you found a link to the picture on the inside cover of Dive they'd pay attention to her - LOL! I don't have to CD and therefore don't have a DEFINITE idea of what you're talking about. I have a PRETTY good idea, but nothing specific. And ideas as to where I could find this pic?

"T"

8. Hunter Of Winds

Dec 5, 1999
    Trace: We'll have to invite her back. After she finishes her revisions is a good time to ask for her autograph. That reminds me. I ought to mail her copies of the newest Firebird and Fusion Fire to be autographed. I already have an autographed copy of The Truce At Bakura.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Have you read Firebird and Fusion Fire? If not, I highly recommend them! Maybe once Crown of Fire and Balance Point are finalized she'll come back for some coffee - what do you think, Hunter?

Great idea!

Hunter

[This message has been edited by Hunter Of Winds (edited 05-04-2000).]

9. JD Jedi

JD Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2000
    Barbara Fett

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't share my speculations - that's because I believe and hope that a specific set of things will happen in II-III, and I don't really want to know anyone else's opinion, because that might mess up my opinion. Hmm, that sounded a bit selfish.

No, not really. I'm pretty much the same in that I don't speculate what may happen to anybody, but that's because I don't try to speculate at all. Anything that anyone writes I see as food for thought, but as to what I actually EXPECT???.nothing. My philosophy is to go in with an open mind and let the Master Storyteller weave his magic. If I don't expect anything I won't be disappointed if a certain situation or event doesn't arise. (Doesn't stop me earwigging on everyone else's ideas though )

Born in '86????? Bloody hell!!! I was two years short of going to uni by then. That's probably what I maent about the 'coming of age' feeling of ROTJ - because for me it ('83) WAS that sort of feeling around that time.

See? We can keep picking up the OT stuff to keep this discussion in here.

I got to go and stockpile all the titles everyone has suggested, and I don't care if people bag certain titles or not - I intend to read them ALL!!!!

JDJ

10. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Just bringing this up to the top. Where are y'all today?

BTW, Trace, my pic in the MJFC doesn't work. I think the sensor got to it!

"T"

11. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Sure is quiet around here! Anybody get bit by "The Love Bug?" We were shut down completely at work today. Didn't know what to do with ourselves without email and web pagers. Had to use the telephone of all things!

12. JediMistress

Jun 18, 1999
    "I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her." -- Luke, ROTJ

13. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>He was Luke Skywalker, born to a Jedi-turned-Sithlord, raised on a Tatooine sandfarm by Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, raised in a life without frills, a hardworking, honest pauper -- because his mother...his mother...What was it about his mother? What had she said, who was she? What had she told him? He turned his mind inward, to a place and time far from the damp soil of Dagobah, to his mother's chamber, his mother and his...sister. His sister...

ROTJ novelization, Chapter 3, page 65

14. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    When is the next chat at the Starbucks web site? Anyone know? Or do we just show up? And, if so, someone is going to have to explain to me how that thing works - the chat page, that is.

Back to Rogue Squadron...failed my first mission...Jaina Solo, I ain't!

15. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jedi Trace:
    When is the next chat at the Starbucks web site? Anyone know? Or do we just show up? And, if so, someone is going to have to explain to me how that thing works - the chat page, that is.

Back to Rogue Squadron...failed my first mission...Jaina Solo, I ain't!

Jaina Solo?!!
    Bah!! Aim for the best, Trace

Has everyone abandoned this place btw? It's got cobwebs on it...

16. Hunter Of Winds

Dec 5, 1999
    To the top!

17. JediMistress

Jun 18, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taramidala:
    ROTJ novelization, Chapter 3, page 65

Ahhh...but remember...the movies are first and foremost "Canon" then novelizations...

18. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Ah, of course CA! But what would CaSS think?

Uh oh! A canon discussion...I really must go clean the bathrooms now.

19. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jedi Trace:
    Ah, of course CA! But what would CaSS think?

What? confused.gif

20. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    CA: Kidding!!...Another futile attempt at humor...never mind. redface.gif

Did I get #500? Woohoo!!

So, has everyone else seen the main page articles about the "all but official" new Anakin? I just watched "Higher Ground" and will say that if Hayden does get it, I don't think I'll be disappointed!

[This message has been edited by Jedi Trace (edited 05-07-2000).]

21. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Sorry i've been missing for a while, it was production week for my school play, and man does it get sad when you realize that it is also the last high school production that i will ever be involved with....so i've been at school for the past week non stop..we did Damn Yankees, and kicked but..people came to see it more than once..so we're happy...

hmm...hey did anyone see this on the origional site:

"Baron Fel first appeared in the X-Wing: Rogue Squadron comic series. A younger Fel would also briefly appear in the pages of the Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin. His son, Jagged Fel, appears in the New Jedi Order novel, Dark Tide II: Ruin, by Michael A. Stackpole. "

interesting huh..for the EU fans..does that mean this is Wedge Antilles' nephew???l

what do you think??

22. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    I believe i heard there were some EU fans holding out hope that Baron Fel's son (and Wedge Antilles nephew) would be named Ewan Fel.

23. Captain Page

Captain Page Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    Ewan Fel.....hmmm. Interesting indeed.

Antilles/Celchu '00

[This message has been edited by Captain Page (edited 05-07-2000).]

24. JD Jedi

JD Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2000
    I'm sure a good name for him would be 'Downy'.

Just a word on the 'canon' thing....

Everyone seems to go on about 'what is canon' and 'what isn't canon' and so on and so on. What no one seems to talk about is what canon ITSELF should really mean.

To me 'canon' means 'official'. Examples are the movies and the novelisations. To me THAT'S IT. Anything else (inculding EU stuff - I guess I'm not a real convert yet) is just extra storyline that may or may not conflict with the other SW stuff.

My point here is that there can be CONTINUITY problems that don't necessarily make something canon or non-canon.

The conflict with the two lines from ROTJ movie and novel about Luke and his Mum are an example of what the problem is. GL had a hand in both these and considering the importance of the Father in the story, should have also realized the importance of any line concerning the Mother. This sort of continuity conflict is what cheeses me off sometimes.

Where was I? Oh yeah. When there is a question in the movie people say 'Oh check the book - it has more detail and is "canon"'. But when there's a conflict they say 'Oh - EXCEPT for those bits!!' Well, do you check the book or not?

I get people here at work saying 'Make sure you put ALL these things on the map like this' and when you find that something isn't right they say 'Oh - EXCEPT for those bits!!' Same sort of thing and just as frustrating. They churn their work out too fast to check it properly.

This poses the question:

Is GL pushing this stuff out TOO fast to even check his own work? Recent hints are that production will start AS the script gets written. Doesn't working like this set him up for a big fall in trying to cover ALL the loose ends? (or should that be loose beginnings? - I still get confused trying to describe this stuff to other people!! )

Are we going to end up with important elements (like the Luke/Leia/Mother/Memory thing) coming apart when he tries to put it all together so quickly?

Just a thought.........

Whoops. Almost forgot the question I chimed in for:

Who IS Hayden Christensen?? Am I showing my ignorance or has he been in things that haven't been shown over here?

JDJ

[This message has been edited by JD Jedi (edited 05-07-2000).]

25. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    As for your definition of Canon, you're right. Canon is only
    1) Movies
    2) Novels
    3) Annotated Screenplays

everything else is just extra storyline that may or may not conflict with Canonized material. sure, it "happened", but it's not in stone.

As far as your debate, i think you're blowing it out of proportion. i may have missed something, but you're comparing

A) movie line "I have no memory of my mother"

with

B) luke in ROTJ novel searching out a mother memory and coming up blank.

how different are these two elements?? would you have preferred luke to say "I have a vague sense of a mother, but i can't recall...something about her and a sister." i mean, essentially, he really has no memory of his mother. thus, the brevity of the movie line.

i'm trying to recall other conflicts...and actually guessing that some bigger ones may crop up. i remember anakin's death scene in the ROTJ novel, and it sets up some pretty narrow constraints for uncle george to follow in episode iii.

however, if uncle george decides he wants to do something that ends up contradicting the ROTJ novel, that's fine with me! i don't think the universe will collapse on itself with a few discrepencies in Canon material.

My advice? Don't worry about it...if there's stuff in the novels not in the movie, treat it as an added bonus, but don't peg everything on it, either.

"The Force is strong in my family....my father has it....I have it...and, my sister has it."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.