main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Original Sin where Episode 8 started losing me.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LastJediKnight, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Paraphrasing... as I don't know the exact dialogue:

Leia: "We did what we needed to do. Lets get out of here."
    Poe: "No."

That moment jars me Every. Single. Time. Its almost like some feminist trying to take a sledgehammer to my brain. Its That Subtle.

He then proceeds to mansplain to her how this is a FLEET KILLER and how he'll do what he pleases. As if she doesn't know its capability. This moment, of course, brought to you by TEACHABLE MOMENTS, a division of SJW Enterprises.

Absolute trash writing written by a hack to tick a box, and then followed up with an even dumber scene on board the cruiser. You get a demotion! *slap* Ok! First, hitting a subordinate wasn't cool when Patton did it, much less in front of everyone where you make your best pilot look like a punk. But its ok.. because we'll see your insubordination, raise you a demotion, and then immediately put you back out there to do what I just said not to do. #cringe #what.

It only gets worse, as Rian Johnson takes a really good character from TFA and ends up having him go mutiny on pretty much every female in-charge figure, just so they can bust out the Teachable Moments. Sexism is Alive and Well, and his name is Poe Dameron. Holdo is pretty much there for only that reason. So Poe can disobey her orders. And then of course, they have Holdo praise Poe as being 'dangerous' and liking him. Just what the who hah hey?!

HE JUST COMMITTED MUTINY AND TRIED TO TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR SHIPS.

But its cool as Fonzi... because he's 'dangerous'! /facepalm. That, to me, is more sexist than him countermanding her orders and committing mutiny(presumably because she's a woman). Having her not shove him out the nearest airlock and see if he can fly like Leia for having done so, is an insult to her character.

The problem being, is none of it is good writing. You can't write well when you're trying to beat your audience over the head with manufactured messaging to tick boxes for SJW's every other scene.

And don't get me started on Chewie and the Porg meat. Really?

Where did TLJ originally start losing you?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    TLJ lost you before you ever saw it. It lost you the moment it didn’t confirm any of the elaborate, convoluted theories you presented as fact, and pushed for years.

Let’s please stop pretending you hate this movie based off anything that actually happened in this movie. Like several others here, the outrage is quite easily correlated with the the level of head canon confidence you proudly boasted pre-release.

Blaming this on SJWs and feminism is the height of disingenuousness.

3. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    Thats interesting. Every word of what you just said was false.

I went into this with high expectations after a long wait and some concern as to the very direction they ended up going and likely would have been ok with a myriad of ways as long as they picked one. Going with Snoke Nothing? Nope. Going with Rey Nothing? Nope. That alone makes clear their intention is a Trilogy Machine that runs the IP into the ground, and if that's what you advocate, well.. congrats on being right! Either way, those theories were not presented as fact and the mods would have booted me if I had. If you interpreted them as fact, thats on you. Every post from about the past year and a half dealing with theory, was always prefaced as such. Usually also noting it was opinion.

Pretty sure I mentioned stuff that was in the movie that actually happened that I hate, along with reasons as such. Stop trying to tell me why I hate something. Its not a good look.

You can believe that all you want... its just your opinion.. one you are presenting as fact.

Leia gives a command. Poe says no. What else do you call that other than the writer wanting to show the male disobeying the female's orders? Its completely out-of-character for Poe, and shame on them for even doing it. Hot-shot pilot, yes. But the Hollywood stereotype of the Top Gun Maverick fly-boy that follows his own rules and makes his own orders simply doesn't exist in actual military environments, and it certainly wasn't in TFA. Anybody who tried would get bounced before they ever got to the point it was an issue. Fighter pilots do not directly disobey orders like that, no matter who is giving them. And if they do... forget a demotion, they'd be court-martialed and bounced in a heartbeat, no matter how good they are. There are lives on the line here and the chain-of-command in that condition is sacrosanct. It wasn't his call.

But they apparently do, if you have to beat a point about sexism into your audience. Its done with a specific agenda in mind and its bad writing. I'm supposed to like that? I'm supposed to sit back and watch people do completely out-of-character things to service a bad story and then be cool with that? Sorry. NOPE. Star Wars isn't an 80's Afterschool Special and I have a right to not like what i'm being shown.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  4. Outremer84

Outremer84 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2017
    I'd completely forgotten about the slap scene, but you're right. Personally though, my personal alarm bells started to go off at 'fresh milk'.

You raise an interesting contradiction in the tone of this movie. It's like,

"we're way above all of your old hokey sci-fi mumbo jumbo now... "

...and then proceed to introduce elements of a melodramatic soap opera ala cheeky, mutiny subplots.

The more I dwell on this movie, the more it reminds me of some of the themes of BGG. The comparison doesn't bug me at all, it's that the most average BGG episode executed similar topics with much more maturity and finess.

Imagine if a male, patriarchal military leader gave Rose a good slap for stuffing up Finn's suicide attack run. There'd be a feminista outcry akin to the attempted ostracising of Johnny Depp (who i'd gladly never see in another movie). Instead,
    Leia can physically assault Poe, and no one really gives a fig.

LastJediKnight likes this.
  5. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    Good point. Pre-release... had you told me that Poe would be leading a mutiny of all things against The Resistance in this movie, i'd have thought you were trolling.

BGG? You mean BSG? Battlestar Galactica? And agreed, if that's the case. I've mentioned the similarities in this movie to that series before.

Outremer84 likes this.
  6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    You have developed a sudden, inexplicable case of amnesia. It seems to be quite contagious and spreading fast.

However I have not. You frequently presented your opinions as fact. I interacted with you enough to state that as a fact. Rey was going to be revealed as the child of Anakin and Jyn (later unknown Skymom when that didn’t pan out). She would close out the trilogy in her own Darth Vader suit. You knew the symmetry, you alone had your finger on the pulse of Lucasfilm. Your post history is all there for anyone who wants to see the truth.

It was never about theories. It was about your insistence that you alone had it figured out, the rest of us were too blinded to see the clues. I even had you on ignore for awhile after you got particularly aggressive with me because I didn’t buy your theories as fact.

Let’s not play this game. It’s very easy to figure out why you’re doing these long, elaborate rants against this film. Blaming SJWs and feminism?

Not a good look.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I call it a commander disobeying a general.

8. Outremer84

Dec 21, 2017
    Yes, sorry, BSG.

I've got Board Game Geek (BGG) in a similar section of my brain, obviously!

What a show that would be though...

9. Outremer84

Dec 21, 2017
    You're right. But that's no what the OP is referring to. These aren't real people reacting to historical events that we're judging. These are fictional characters and arcs that a writer has concocted in the last 2 years. You have choices as to what do with these characters and what situations to put them in.

Like, I might say that vomiting and a panic attack is a justified reaction to finding out you're pregnant unexpectedly . But if that scene were included in a Star Wars film, I might question the intentions of the writer, as this isn't an episode of Sunset Beach.

10. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    We already have a complaints thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.