main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The original Star Wars movie is subtitled "A New Hope"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Hopping_Han, Dec 29, 2015.

1. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    For me it's:

Star Wars
    Empire
    Jedi
    Episodes 1, 2, and 3
    Haven't settled on what I'm calling the new one yet, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Revenge of the New Phantom Clone Awakens and Returns to Strike Back

3. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    I have never and will never call Star Wars by any other name. The name is Star Wars, and that's it, the subtitle is cringeworthy. It sounds like the episode title of some 80s TV show...

*cue generic 80s rock music*

Cop Life

Starring John Johnson

Bob Jones

and Allesandro Allegre as The Rookie

*fade out as they show the 3 walking down on alley during sunset after they made an arrest"

*Back from commercials, the camera pans around the precinct as people are busy with work and 80s style witty chatter. Credits intermittently flash on the bottom of the screen*

Directed by Joe Jones

Production Supervisor Ron Smith

Story by Raul Mendes

"A New Hope"

*camera pans into the Chief's office as he's about to hand out this week's assignment. The veterans accept it while The Rookie complains that it's too dangerous*

I always rep posters here who call Star Wars Star Wars. The subtitle is rubbish. Maybe someday there can be a fan edit where it says Episode II and III for ESB and ROTJ, to go along with Harmy's Star Wars. I'd like that

4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I've accepted that STAR WARS has become the umbrella term for the franchise. Essentially I'd prefer the combination "Star Wars - A New Hope" but it's easier to write ANH because everybody instantly understands which film I'm talking about.

But when people talk about the films in interviews and don't spell out the names but instead refear to the episode ranking, that could be telling how they feel about certain movies in the franchise, IMHO.

And this is a considerable source of concern to me. In one of the Rebel Recon programs Pablo Hidalgo referred to ANH merely as "Episode IV" while he simultaneously spoke of "Return of the Jedi".

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think that's reading too much into it.

6. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Maybe, but some people do these things consciously while other may be doing it unconsciously. Since I don't have a big love for the prequels, I consciously refer to them in actual conversations only by their episode numbers. The moment something is not adressed by its actual name but only by a number often suggests lack of respect or appreciation.

One of my friends refers to all Star Wars films by their episode numbers, but because he does it to all of them, it's not an issue.

7. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    For me, when people say Star Wars, I think of the '77 film, and when people say A New Hope, I think of the '97 Special Edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I grew up with the VHS pre-special edition version - and it had "Episode IV: A New Hope" even back then in the opening crawl as I recall.

9. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    IIRC, Lucas tried to keep away the Star Wars films from coming to home video as long as he could, but by the time that happened the new opening crawl from the theatrical re-release was the latest film version.

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yeah it only really matters in communications so generally saying Star Wars might not be enough so referring to the subtitle or episode number or saying the first Star Wars or Star Wars 77 or whatever clears it all up.

For myself I just say either ANH or IV and that way it's pretty much 100% clear save for those very few I encounter now who only think of it as Star Wars.

As far as I recall Lucas almost always just calls it Star Wars. I don't off-hand remember him calling it anything else. The others of course have their own distinct titles so if just Star Wars is going to refer to anything it would be that.

The only other difference is when a film is out new. So when ROTS came out I would say "Have you seen Star Wars?" then obviously they got that I was talking about the film in theaters at the time.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Lost films? Yeah, you do know that doesn't work anymore with film preservation and the age of digital media?

In the 80's, I called it "Star Wars". In the 90's, way before the SE's, I started calling it "A New Hope". I didn't start posting on the internet until 2001.

No, it sounds like a 1940's movie serial title. Just like the other six films do.

12. Han Vader

Han Vader Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2016
    I saw it as Stars Wars in '77. I still call it Star Wars or the first one.

I also use Star Wars as an all encompassing saga term. If someone calls it ANH, it doesn't bother me, I use ANH here on the boards at times.

13. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's very rare that I'm actually talking to someone about this, and even then if I make a reference it is known as a Star Wars reference with no need to state the exact movie. The only rule I have for titles is I'm never one to abbreviate them, like saying "Empire" and "Jedi." That always bugged me. When I've asked for a movie ticket, I think I've said "Star Wars." It is easy to recognize and someone is less likely to say "huh? Oh..." and I can't stand conversation. Anyway I don't care about any of this anymore. One reason I'm sure I don't say The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones is because I don't like those titles. The same might go for A New Hope, but it's different because I grew up knowing it as Star Wars. At the time most of us, or at least not I, didn't think A New Hope was a title but just in the text like a chapter title. Sure The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were printed the same way, but they were actually called those titles.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Absolutely not true. Everyone, and I mean everyone, I know calls it either "A New Hope" or some variation of "Episode 4."

15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I was contemplating today, whether to contribute to a thread asking which films we saw in the cinema, and it occurred to me to mention in here, that if we saw the original film in 1977 / 78, we went to see Star Wars.

Regardless of what the OP thinks we should call it, or whether the name got amended later, the fact is, we did not go, or in some cases, line up round the block to see, A New Hope; we did it to see Star Wars.

If someone tells you they remember seeing Star Wars as a kid, back in '77-78, and you have to ask which one...dude.

Sarge likes this.
  16. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I've always called it ANH but i understand why people call it Star Wars. That's what it originally was and for the people who grew up with it that way, that's what they shall call it

17. Bossk74

Bossk74 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    It was only until later when it was re-released in theaters in 1981 that it was subtitled Episode IV A New Hope. What does it really matter though? Call it whatever you want.

18. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Reminds me how in some parts of the US, people collectively refer to soda as Coke. It's not wrong because it was the sole title at one point, but after later installments, it became confusing to still call it just Star Wars. Even when talking to older fans who aren't familiar with the subtitle, I find they'll usually follow it up with "the original" or "the first." Just Star Wars is too vague when so many things refer to the term "Star Wars."

Since we're on the topic, the whole Episode IV: A New Hope subtitle dates back to 1978 or 79 (I forget). It's not like some recent Special Edition change when it was actually put to film for the 1981 re-release.

19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well of course you'd refer to it as SW to the ticket vendor, as it was both the ony SW then and the only film with that title showing

But that applies even to the present. When asking for tickets to TFA, I just ask for Star Wars
    It depends on the context, really