main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV The Original Trilogy - A list of changes

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Talon_Wolfe, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Here is the list of changes that I could find. If you know of any more or have better descriptions, please post em here!

(this info culled from TheForce.Net)

A NEW HOPE
    Greedo Shoots First ? The most controversial change in the Special Edition was bounty hunter Greedo shooting first at Han Solo in the cantina scene. In this 2nd remake of the scene, Greedo still shoots first though the scene has been tweaked slightly. Han now makes a slight dodge and the shots are almost simultaneous.

Jabba XP ? After seeing Episode I's Jabba, fans would be disappointed to see how terrible he looked even in the Special Edition of A New Hope. The team at ILM went back and inserted the updated CGI creature into the film

The Empire Reads Aurebesh ? The most noticeable change in this section is that all of the text on control panels (like the Death Star tractor beam) have been changed to Aurebesh.

Long Cellblock ? In the background of several shots they've lengthened the hallyway to give the Death Star a larger scale.

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    A New Emperor ?

Boba's New Voice ? Boba is now voiced by Morrison

No Screaming Luke ? In the Special Editions, as Luke is falling down the chasm on Cloud City, he lets out a wuss cry for help. In this DVD release it has been removed.

RETURN OF THE JEDI
    Dying Anakin?

Naboo Celebration ? This is just a quick shot and you can hear one of the Gungans yelling in the background.

The Jedi Temple

The Ghost of Hayden ?

The Rancor looks much better and the trash compactor monster is adjusted a bit.

The lightsabers look fantastic and all been adjusted to look more realistic.

2. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Here's what Lucas said about the infamous Greedo shooting first. This was from the 9/24/04 issue of Entertainment Weekly:

GL:..."If you really look at it, there's hardly any changes at all. The thing that really caused the trouble on Star Wars is the whole question of whether Han Solo or Greedo shoots first. The way it got cobbled together at the time, it came off as [Han] fired first. He didn't fire first.

EW: So you consider this a correction?

GL: It's a correction. [When I made Star Wars] I said, 'Well, I don't have that shot, so I'll just, you know, fudge it editorially.' In my mind [Greedo]shot first or at the same time. We like to think of [Han Solo] as a murderer because that's hip- I don't think that's a good thing for people. I mean, I don't see how you could redeem somebody who kills people in cold blood."...

So they either lost or didn't film Greedo's shot in 1977, and he has corrected this story problem in the SEs. Either that, or he just came up with a convienent excuse.

3. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    How do you redeem someone who kills people in cold blood?

Has he even seen Return of the Jedi?

Besides, if someone is pointing a gun at you and is about to shoot you, you can kill them, and it's not in cold blood, it's self defense.

4. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Besides, that's part of the transformation of Han Solo, from Scoundrel and Thug Smuggler into the Hero that he became, swooping in at the end to assist Luke in the Death Star trench, not for money, but because he tipped the moral scales in his own heart and became an agent for Good.

Having Greedo shoot first takes away from Han Solo's own redemption, in fact, it almost neuters it.

5. Axia_Euxine

Axia_Euxine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2003
    1. George did not come up with a convienent excuse. Im so tired of George bashing. They are his movies, he can do what he wants with them. (and coming from a man who recently admitted he came out with the trilogy earlier to make more money, Becuase he was afraid piracy would be so rampant in a couple years it would cut into his profits does not sound like a man who would make up a lie about Greedo shooting first)

2. This Greedo scene was shot at two different times with two different actors orginally, one was a guy one was a woman. I remember this behind the scene shot of the actress standing there in full costume drinking something through her mask with a straw and wearing heals. (greedo as a cross-dresser) So this lends credibility to the fact that some footage may have gotten lost.

3. The dvd version of this shot is much better than the special edition, much smoother, I like it.

4. These movies are NOT about Han Solo, no matter how popular he became or still is. Next to Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader he is a background character. So in short some branching arc about his redemption from being a murderer is unimportant.

5. and lastly! I used to have a different opinion about whether or not Greedo shot first but now its this... And this goes out to the entire Star Wars community. WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are Lucas' movies and he can do what he wants. If I never hear about this thing again it will be too soon!

Thanks for your time. (seriously my friends this is NOT a flame. Just a post and some opinions.)

6. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    You're welcome. :)

7. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
  8. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    the noise the Old Ben makes to scare away the Sand People in ANH is a different sound from the original movie.

9. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Yes, it's much scarier.

10. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    MoronDude's a Tusken Raider!

11. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    I watched ESB today. I enjoyed the fact they removed Luke's scream. It gives the fall much more perpose without it.

Man oh man, is it clear... and the colors are so vibrant! I love it!

Oh, and I changed my icon... I will keep it as this until MY copy of the Trilogy is in my possession.

12. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    The explosion of the first Death Star is way prettier on the dvd

13. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    This is hysterical.

14. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    THAT is freakin hilarious.

15. Luminara_Jade

Luminara_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    pretty funny

16. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    That was great!

17. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Has anyone watched ESB with commentary?

Those who have, doesn't Kershner seem like some annoying guy who's seen a movie way too many times, and won't stop talking and pointing out the most obvious things?

18. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    The guy actually says (during Han and Leia's kiss in the belly of the space slug), "You can tell she loves him. I mean it's obvious to everybody. But, no she's going to resist him. And that's what the scene's about. And, of course, what he wants is to kiss her. And a kiss, in this film, is almost equivilent to intercourse, not to the children, but to the adults. (laughs) I think. And she resists to the end, but, getting closer and it happens! Oh, what a joy, it happens! And there is that stupid robot coming in at the wrong moment when he could have continued having fun."

That's just not what commentary is all about, talking about what is pretty obvious to everyone watching. It really gets annoying.

19. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    A list of changes I noticed.

Star Wars

When the sand crawler stops c-3po says, "We've stopped." Right before he tells artoo to wake up. This was not in there before.

While the stormtroopers are searching the Falcon right before they leave the Falcon one says "Theres nothing on board." this was not there before.

On the death star the graphic on the tactical board that is shown right before the graphic that shows the moon behind yavin is colored differently.

The gunshot blast blaster sound fx that were added to Leias shots right before the death star chasm swing have been removed, thank god. Why those were added to the Special editions I have no idea. (also toned down was the additional shots sound fx they added to Chewies rifle in the dentention area in the Special Editions.)

obviously Greedo's shot has been modified.

Jabba looks waay better an Han's trasition over his tail is much smoother.

Some of the explosions have had additional coloring added to them and they look very pretty.

english replaced with aurebesh, yeah!

Some of the lighting in the tractor beam reactor changed from white to green, or at the very least enhanced.

Sky above artoo when we first switch to him in the rocky area on Tattooine looking much better. I believe the changed the wipe to that scene as well.

5.1 stereo mix is unbelievable! There were either sounds I had just never heard before or that they added to the mix.

The lightsabers, so very pretty. Except for the mistake. The long shot right before Luke deignites his saber on the Falcon and asks Han if he believes in the Force has Luke with a green blade! WTH!

The Dianoga, duh!

The Death Star explosion was tweaked again.

Some of the shots of the Falcon have the engine glow a little more pronounced.

Not to mention the clarity of the print! OMG. You can really tell the difference in detail work in some of the models. Take a look at the Star Destroyer at the beggining of Star Wars and the one at the begining of Jedi. The one in Jedi has so much more detail.

Well thats all of the Changes to A New Hope that I can recall off the top of my head.

edit: I remebered another one. The famous stormtropper hitting his head now has a audible 'thunk' when his head hits the door.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.